What is a "True Christian" ?

I posted this after reading a screen name here. I think it may provoke a great discussion.
What do you believe you can define by example to be a, true Christian?

Would this be one express definition and thus behavior that supports that definition? One way. One way of being Christian.

Or is each life of each Christian and all that we do in the flesh while espousing Christ exactly what defines true Christian?

Jesus entered the world of the ancient middle east when the laws of God were enforced. Six hundred and thirteen Mitzvah that no one could uphold or keep perfectly as the obedient to the law.
Not even Christ did this. He healed people on the Sabbath. He mixed with the unclean, etc...

What then in thinking of scripture, and please cite those when they apply to your answer, is the definition in your view of the, True Christian?

Looking forward to a chat. :)

A Christian is anyone that has recognized his sin and the need for redemption, and accepted our Lord’s payment.

Growth in Christ and living a victorious life is a little different, and I assume this is what you are really referring to in your question.

Living a Christian life means growing in Christ. We all change throughout our lives.

Children are different than young men who are different from adult men who are different from the elderly. Just as our bodies change, our personalities change. We can grow closer to the Lord, or we can grow farther apart.

The basics which provide the foundation for all else:

A strong Christian is a growing Christian; growing closer to our Lord with each day. Growth in knowledge, growth in trust, growth in personality.

A strong Christian has a continuous conversation with his Lord. This includes formal prayers where your mind is directing thoughts and your mouth (or inner voice) are giving them form and in listening throughout the day for His expressions of Love, and guidance, and reproof, when needed. If you see something that gladdens you, thank Him. If you see something that saddens you, take that to Him.

A strong, growing Christian reads and meditates on Scripture.

A strong, growing Christian has fellowship with other believers. Fellowship in worship, in study, in action. Providing support and encouragement, and being supported by others. There is another thread concerned with what is the body of Christ. This community of believers is one answer to that (but not the only one).

From this basis, which should be common with most believers, our individual lives grow, each in different ways. Some are outgoing, some are more private.

A Christian life is one of service to our Lord.

Whatever a Christian does either builds his relationship with the Lord, or distances him from the Lord. Which is better should be obvious. Making that choice is often difficult, but it is how we grow.

A Christian should reflect well on our Lord, so a Christian should reflect positive moral/ethical behavior.

Our Lord has commanded us to tell others about Him. He should be gently on our lips, not usually aggressively, or even confrontationally; but as we are reflecting our positive moral/ethical; behavior, those around us should know who we serve, and be encouraged to do the same.

Hi 5 Wolves,

Good topic & relevant for today. So many uses of the word Christian - nominal Christian, charismatic Christian, evangelical Christian, Christian bookshop, Christian music, Christian books as well as true, false Christians etc etc.

We know that the Lord knows who are His, & that he will bring our motives to light when He comes.

`Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness & reveal the counsels of the hearts & then each one`s praise will come from God.` (1 Cor. 4: 5)

A sober thought indeed. Marilyn.

I posted this after reading a screen name here. I think it may provoke a great discussion.

Would this be one express definition and thus behavior that supports that definition? One way. One way of being Christian.

Or is each life of each Christian and all that we do in the flesh while espousing Christ exactly what defines true Christian?

Jesus entered the world of the ancient middle east when the laws of God were enforced. Six hundred and thirteen Mitzvah that no one could uphold or keep perfectly as the obedient to the law.
Not even Christ did this. He healed people on the Sabbath. He mixed with the unclean, etc...

What then in thinking of scripture, and please cite those when they apply to your answer, is the definition in your view of the, True Christian?

"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous. Rom. 2:13 The authentic Christian is a person who has had the faith to obey that law Paul has referenced. But that law Paul references is not the OT code.

I think a true Christian is someone who God has saved. God has given this elect individual a "new heart" or soul. He is a person with a focus on Christ and has a love for his word, cares and concerns for this world are a low priority.

Psalm 119 I think offers the best description of "true" Christian.

Some additional scripture:
Ps 1:2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord, And in His law he meditates day and night.
Matt 5:6 Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness.
Gal; 5:16 [This] I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Eph 3:1 4:1Prisoner of Christ
Eph 5:10 Proving what’s acceptable
I Peter 2:11 .Abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul.
John 15:14 "You are My friends if you do what I command you.
1 Cor 9:16 I am under compulsion to preach the gospel.

Mat 7:17.. So, every healthy tree bears good fruit, but the diseased tree bears bad fruit.
Mat 7:18.. A healthy tree cannot bear bad fruit, nor can a diseased tree bear good fruit.
Mat 7:19.. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire.
Mat 7:20.. Thus you will recognize them by their fruits.

Paul invented the word Christian Acts 11:26. I believe it is best described as being in Christ. I know that in Greek it means follower of Christ / anointed one. I get my term from Paul wanting to ensure that the Jews understood that being a Christian / in Christ meant they were still the chosen race. Gal 3:28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

Hence a true Christian is someone who is in Christ. We are only in Christ when we submit our lives to His. We only submit our lives to His if we want Him on the throne of our lives. We only want Him on the throne of our lives if we approve of His leadership. His leadership is a call for us to hate what is evil and cling to what is good Rom 12:9. It is to turn the left cheek Matt 5:29. It is to not resist an evil person Matt 5:39. It is love our enemy and give expecting nothing in return Luke 6:35. It is a desire to obey His teachings. If we love Him we obey His commandments.

Now granted He does summarize the law into two. But I believe that most don't deal properly with what exactly those two are / require of us. Matt 22:37-39 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

How do we love God exactly? It is the first commandment but we don't deal with it properly. We think loving others makes us a Christian. Many churches harp only on the second commandment.

Loving God involves respecting all scripture. Respecting your body. Hating idolatry. Hating sexual sins. Sexual sins are a good example as many say that two consenting adults makes the sin fine (loving others). Well yes, if you remove God completely from your life.

Now the second commandment is also mostly miss taught. ''Love your neigbour as yourself '' is taught as ''do unto others as you do unto yourself'' as opposed to ''do unto others as you would have them do unto you'' Luke 6:31. Selflessness vs being on par.

Hence Christianity cannot be faked. The devil will not give his only cup of water to another in the desert. Jesus would not hesitate to do such. The devil would not care if all the hours in the day were spent on himself. Jesus would ensure most of the day was spent doing His Father's will.

All this can be summarised into saying that a true Christian believes in Jesus John 3:16. We just then need to explain that believing Jesus is Lord is only possible by the Holy Spirit 1 Cor 12:3. This takes place only after a session of harsh judgment of mind and heart by God Jer 17:10.

Last edited:

It seem you would rather stir up a needless debate rather than a chat.
and scripture says we should avoid question that are based not on any understanding.
So I will simply point out that your perception that the Lord could not keep the law himself .Flies in the face of ALL of scripture that says he kept the law and had to or must do to be the perfect sacrifice "the Lamb of God who taketh away the sin of the world "
Therefore I suggest that you go back to those places you mentioned and consider was Jesus right or you and the Pharasees?

in Christ
gerald

The purpose for the law was to show man to be a sinner. No one could ever possibly do what the law required.

Rom 3:20.. Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

1Ti 1:9.. Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
1Ti 1:10.. For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

External motions mean nothing to the Lord, no matter what they are. What the Lord God looks at is the "intents, and purposes of the heart"
It is way to easy to deceive people when all you do is see their outward actions, it is what their motives are that means something.

Jesus perfectly fulfilled the law as all of his motives were pure.

Back