What Is Blasphemy Of The Holy Ghost?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blasphemy
Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for a religious deity or the irreverence towards religious or holy persons or things.

NT Biblical examples of blasphemy:
Luke 5:21

20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. 6 But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, 7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

These are only two of the many occasions where Jesus was accused of blasphemy against God the Father. But, a close examination of each time Jesus was accused of this, it was never for His miracles, but for either claiming to have powers that belong to God the Father, or claiming to be the Son of God.

Based on Biblical examples of blasphemy, I tend to believe that, to claim powers of the Holy Ghost, or spiritual gifts that I do not have, would constitute blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

What say you?

If we allowing the Bible to define the term blasphemy, by examining how the word is used in the scriptures, it is very easy to understand the meaning of the word, as it applies to blaspheming God. Then, by knowing the Biblical definition and proper usage, we can discover what blaspheming the Holy Ghost would entail.
20 And when he saw their faith, he said unto him, Man, thy sins are forgiven thee. 21 And the scribes and the Pharisees began to reason, saying, Who is this which speaketh blasphemies? Who can forgive sins, but God alone?

If anyone in the world, past or present, ever knew the definition of the term blasphemy, and it’s proper usage, it was the Pharisees. In this passage, these learned teachers of the law are saying, that by claiming to have a power that only God possesses (the power to forgive sin) Jesus is speaking blasphemy against God. And, had anyone else said these words (Man, thy sins are forgiven thee) the Pharisees would have been correct. Therefore, in this application, we can define blasphemy as follows; The act of claiming powers or abilities belonging to God.
Mark 14:64
. Again the high priest asked him, and said unto him, Art thou the Christ, the Son of the Blessed? 62 And Jesus said, I am: and ye shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.63 Then the high priest rent his clothes, and saith, What need we any further witnesses? 64 Ye have heard the blasphemy:

Here we get another definition and application for the word blasphemy; this time from the high priest. Now, surly the high priest knows the definitions for the word, and its proper usage. By claiming to be the son of God, Jesus makes himself a god. For this cause, Jesus was charged under Jewish law with the crime of blasphemy. In this application we can define blasphemy as follows; making the claim to be God or a god.
John 10:33
30 I and my Father are one.
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. 32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
Here, the Jewish people use the word in the same context, as it was used by the high priest.
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?
And here, Jesus is making sure of the accusation made against Him in verse 33 is what it is.
Now that we know two ways of defining blasphemy, and two ways the word can be applied, let’s make a couple of sentences illustrating the blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

1) Antichrist claims to be filled with the Holy Spirit = Blasphemy
2) Antichrist causes fire to come down from the sky and says this is the power of the Holy Ghost
working through him = Blasphemy

The one example of direct blasphemy of the Holy Ghost, is different from the two methods that we have already discovered, and can be found. In the book of Mark Chap. 3, Jesus was accused, by the Pharisees of using the power of Beelzebub to cast out demons. Then, through a lengthy brow beating, Jesus told them that they had sinned, and what they had done was blasphemy against the Holy Ghost. Jesus cast out the demons by the power of the Holy Ghost, and the Pharisees gave credit to Satan, thereby denying the Holy Ghost His due.

Blasphemy, like many words in the English language, has more than one definition and application. Take the word abide. It could mean to live in;( I will abide in this home); To live up to or fulfill; (I will abide by this contract; To obey or comply with; (I will abide by the Law) It seems that to reach the Full Gospel, we should use the full meaning of Gods Word.

At any rate, there seems to be more than one way to skin a cat, and more than one way to blaspheme the Holy Ghost. I never would want to do either one.

So here it is in a nut shell.
1) Claiming to be filled with the Holy Ghost, when it’s not true = Blasphemy
2) Claiming spiritual gifts, when it’s not true = Blasphemy
3) Denying the Holy Ghost the credit due and giving the credit elsewhere = Blasphemy
4) Accusing the Holy Spirit of evil = Blasphemy

The unpardonable sin was first mentioned by Jesus when the Pharisees rejected the miracles that He did. Jesus knew their thoughts and said, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matt. 12:31–32).
There are several views concerning this unpardonable sin. First, several in the Roman Catholic Church have taught that the unpardonable sin is suicide. Since a person committing suicide can’t take advantage of extreme unction or confess sins to a priest, that person has committed a sin that cannot be pardoned. Suicide is unpardonable because a person cannot take advantage of forgiveness offered by the Church.
Certain Christians believe that when they commit sins of blasphemy, rejection of God, or apostatizing, they lose their salvation. When they commit such sins, “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” (Heb. 10:26).
A third view held by dispensationalists is that only those who live in the time of Christ could commit the unpardonable sin. It is attributing to Satan the miracles of God as demonstrated by Jesus Christ. Since Christ no longer lives on earth, people can no longer commit this unpardonable sin.
There is a fourth view that says when people deliberately and in their hearts finally reject Jesus Christ, they are dead while they are living. That means some living people are lost and cannot be saved because they have committed the final act of rejection. Those who hold this view quote such verses as “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever” (Gen. 6:3). People who commit an unpardonable sin cross a point of no return when they reject Jesus Christ one time too many.
A last view is that the only sin God cannot forgive is the sin of unbelief. The very nature of unbelief indicates that God cannot forgive it. But anyone who wants to be saved can be saved. Even Paul the murderer was forgiven, and the thief on the cross was told, “Today you will be with Me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43). The last chapter of the Bible invites “Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely” (Rev. 22:17). So those who want to be saved have not committed the unpardonable sin. However, if a person dies in unbelief, that person has committed a sin that cannot be pardoned; that person has committed the unpardonable sin. According to this view, no one who is living has committed the unpardonable sin.
So what is the unpardonable sin? The unpardonable sin is simply the final rejection of Jesus Christ at death.

Towns, E. (2003). Bible answers for almost all your questions. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

The unpardonable sin was first mentioned by Jesus when the Pharisees rejected the miracles that He did. Jesus knew their thoughts and said, “Therefore I say to you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man, it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come” (Matt. 12:31–32).
There are several views concerning this unpardonable sin. First, several in the Roman Catholic Church have taught that the unpardonable sin is suicide. Since a person committing suicide can’t take advantage of extreme unction or confess sins to a priest, that person has committed a sin that cannot be pardoned. Suicide is unpardonable because a person cannot take advantage of forgiveness offered by the Church.
Certain Christians believe that when they commit sins of blasphemy, rejection of God, or apostatizing, they lose their salvation. When they commit such sins, “there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins” (Heb. 10:26).
A third view held by dispensationalists is that only those who live in the time of Christ could commit the unpardonable sin. It is attributing to Satan the miracles of God as demonstrated by Jesus Christ. Since Christ no longer lives on earth, people can no longer commit this unpardonable sin.
There is a fourth view that says when people deliberately and in their hearts finally reject Jesus Christ, they are dead while they are living. That means some living people are lost and cannot be saved because they have committed the final act of rejection. Those who hold this view quote such verses as “My Spirit shall not strive with man forever” (Gen. 6:3). People who commit an unpardonable sin cross a point of no return when they reject Jesus Christ one time too many.
A last view is that the only sin God cannot forgive is the sin of unbelief. The very nature of unbelief indicates that God cannot forgive it. But anyone who wants to be saved can be saved. Even Paul the murderer was forgiven, and the thief on the cross was told, “Today you will be with Me in Paradise” (Luke 23:43). The last chapter of the Bible invites “Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely” (Rev. 22:17). So those who want to be saved have not committed the unpardonable sin. However, if a person dies in unbelief, that person has committed a sin that cannot be pardoned; that person has committed the unpardonable sin. According to this view, no one who is living has committed the unpardonable sin.
So what is the unpardonable sin? The unpardonable sin is simply the final rejection of Jesus Christ at death.

Towns, E. (2003). Bible answers for almost all your questions. Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
I totally understand there are many different views held by men. My only interest is in Gods view. I don't claim the information I have posted is inspired. I've never read or heard any of what was posted. This a is 100% original collection of my thoughts and understanding of Gods word. This is what I believe constitutes blasphemy of the Holy Ghost, based completely on Gods word, allowing the Bible to do the defining, and attempting to apply the word properly, without letting my own view point inter into the equation.

I in no way claim any of my writing to have inspiration. I believe it is inspired, and hope it is inspired. But based on my belief, to claim it could be to blaspheme the Holy Ghost. My relationship to God is a personal one, and not grounded in any church doctrine. I have posted this, only to share what I believe the Holy Ghost has revealed to me.
Again, I do not claim it to be from the Holy Ghost, I just believe it is. Also, I believe the Holy Ghost has led me to this forum, and inspired me to write and post the information. I'm not sure what is 100% correct, but this is what I believe.

"jostuntsman" and I are in agreement here on what the blaphasmy of the Holy Ghost is and that is the rejection of Christ as Savior. (As posted in comment #3).

Blasphemy is the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for a religious deity or the irreverence towards religious or holy persons or things.

When Jesus saw their faith, he said unto the sick of the palsy, Son, thy sins be forgiven thee. 6 But there was certain of the scribes sitting there, and reasoning in their hearts, 7 Why doth this man thus speak blasphemies? who can forgive sins but God only?

These are only two of the many occasions where Jesus was accused of blasphemy against God the Father. But, a close examination of each time Jesus was accused of this, it was never for His miracles, but for either claiming to have powers that belong to God the Father, or claiming to be the Son of God.

Based on Biblical examples of blasphemy, I tend to believe that, to claim powers of the Holy Ghost, or spiritual gifts that I do not have, would constitute blasphemy of the Holy Ghost.

What say you?

It is contributing the works of the Holy Spirit, to Satan, knowing better.

It is contributing the works of the Holy Spirit, to Satan, knowing better.
I agree. In fact, that is the only direct example of blaspheming the Holy Ghost, recorded in the Bible ( Mark Chap. 3 ) I listed this in my posting; 3) Denying the Holy Ghost the credit due and giving the credit elsewhere = Blasphemy
I also believe that, just like there's more than one way to fornicate, there's more than one way to blaspheme.
I believe there's many ways we can blaspheme, God the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost. Yet, only blasphemies against the Holy Spirit, will not be forgiven.

I know these views are unlike any other I have come across. There are different views held on this topic, as well as others. I believe the method that I used; allowing the Bible to do the defining, is most reliable. I consider, all other views just that, views or points of view, or interpretations, or opinions. I have never seen a better laid out, detailed, and Biblically supported explanation than my own.

I don't know if I am correct, but I believe I am. I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, but in my 58 years, I've met very few people smarter than myself. (Just joking, there's lots of folks smarter than me.) But, this ain't no rocket science. Again, I will not claim my posting is spirit filled. I believe that if I do, and it is not, this could be blasphemy.
As Forest Gump said, so many times in the picture show; "That's all I got to say about that"

God bless us, every one!

What say you?
Jesus said:

Matthew 15:8
8 This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.

And...

Matthew 15:18-19
18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man.
19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies:

And...

Matthew 12:34-35
34 O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
35 A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things.

The issue is not the tongue, but the heart. The tongue only reveals the condition of the heart.
The Holy Spirit has two main ministries in the world today.

John 16:8
8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:

If you look closely you will see only two things here: sin and righteousness. And both have been judged by God. One bears the judgment of God of "Guilty!" the other of "Not Guilty!"

Blasphemy of the Holy Ghost is a heart (life) that is not saved (Guilty!).

Greetings:

Giving credit to god-X or even a human,when a praying Christian is present when a miracle happens.

by(e)carg

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/blasphemy?s=t
blas·phe·my

[blas-fuh-mee] Show IPA
noun, plural blas·phe·mies.
impious utterance or action concerning God or sacred things.
Judaism.
a.
an act of cursing or reviling God.
b.
pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton (YHVH) in the original, now forbidden manner instead of using a substitute pronunciation such as Adonai.
Theology . the crime of assuming to oneself the rights or qualities of God.
irreverent behavior toward anything held sacred, priceless, etc.: He uttered blasphemies against life itself.

Synonyms
1. profanity, cursing, swearing; sacrilege, impiety.

my guess is that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit would be cursing it.

Back