What is Christian justice?

Only God (who is love) is truly just (Matthew 19:17). Furthermore, only love fulfills the law (Roman 13: 10), because only true love is impartial. True justice, therefore, is love. To be just is to be fair, impartial and righteous. Justice therefore, is fair to all, including one’s opponent. Furthermore, it is not affected by time, place, person or situation.
True justice is revealed to us in the New Testament. When we were unfaithful to God and rejected His friendship, He did not give up on us, condemn us or take revenge. Instead, in His love, He compensated for our selfishness by emptying his life on our behalf and putting his life in us. Therefore, true justice does not condemn or sue others. On the contrary, it exercises mercy by forgiving others, and by sacrificing self, in order to help others to recover from their weaknesses. St. Paul teaches us that, the fact that we have legal disputes amongst us means that we have failed completely. He tells us that, it is better to be wronged and robbed, rather than we wrong or rob another person (1 Cor. 6:7).

True justice does not prefer one person’s right over another person’s right; rather, it makes sure that both sides are treated with love and dignity. It, therefore, helps both the offender and the victim, and does not fight or condemn the offender; does not ask back what has been borrowed; loves one’s enemies and prays for their happiness; gives without expecting anything in return; forgives others unceasingly; and keeps one’s good deeds secret (Matthew 5:38-42, Luke 6:27-38). True justice is merciful because mercy (which comes from God) is above all laws (James 2:13) and God demands mercy (Matt. 9:13). True justice therefore is never revengeful.
We should, therefore, pay back our offender’s offenses by love. Offer the other cheek when slapped on one, go an additional mile if asked to walk one, give more than what others demand from us and give our coat as well if someone demands of our shirt (Matthew 5:38-42, Luke 6:27-38).

i don,t agree ,if i had a dog and it bit me,i would forgive it,if i then showed the dog the way and it bit i would put it down.once bitten shame on me,twice bitten shame on you.

you are by saying what you are,evil people can be evil forever,and only getting love in return,this is a very big mistake,as Jesus says not all who come to me will find me,and also by the dividing at the end,also about satan falling,and also about the high being low etc.you can twist scripture,but God is not fooled or made a fool of.

I would agree with your post. But at the same time justice dictates that we just don't stand there and be complacant. If someone wrongs me, and repents, then all is forgiven. In my eyes, if the offender is truly repenting, then I feel that is enough. I have no need to persue damages. However, if someone wrongs me and is not remorseful, who is to say that that person won't do the same thing to someone else? I now have the obligation to have a hand in stopping this person's cycle of harming others.

It's one of the few scenarios in which I am glad that God didn't make me an emotional person. :D

Well, talking about justice, I don't know if I truly understand what you are getting at, but El Pollo said, "However, if someone wrongs me and is not remorseful, who is to say that that person won't do the same thing to someone else? I now have the obligation to have a hand in stopping this person's cycle of harming others."

I had a situation at work just Fri., where a coworker was rude to me. I never speak up because, like Pollo, I don't think of myself as an emotional person. However, it did occur to me that if I did not go to her and "set her straight," this would probably happen again. I did not realize she felt so strongly about how she felt about this.

Well, it escalated and she became rather loud to me in front of the children. I now wish I would never have gone in and faced her about it. I feel like I should go to her and apologize to her now, but I don't really want to because of her attitude and because of the fact that it was not settled. (she had slammed her door in my face and said, "and never come into this room again!")

How should I handle this? As a Christian, should apologize to her for striking back? Or should I continue to stick up for myself?

How should I handle this? As a Christian, should apologize to her for striking back? Or should I continue to stick up for myself?

I often deal with this in my place of employment. And I find that when an argument occurs between two people and it gets out of control, it is good to enlist a mediator. Case in point:

A few months ago a good friend of mine got upset at me for something that I didn't even realize I was doing. He lashed out at me. And since I didn't know the core reason, I defended myself. It ended on a negative note. Two days passed and not a single words was exchanged between us. Anger? Maybe. Pride? Perhaps. But instead of letting this fester any longer I asked a mutual friend for help. I told him my version of the events, and he went to get the other side of the story. A few hours passed and my friend whom I had the argument with asked to speak with me. We hashed things out (turns out he took what I was doing that day, which was a training session, as me being lazy). And although we do argue on occasion, we now know that when tempers cool, we can talk things out.

So my suggestion is to find a mutual friend and ask for help. In the end, if humility is practiced, both of you will come away from the situation with a better respect for eachother.

Only God (who is love) is truly just (Matthew 19:17). Furthermore, only love fulfills the law (Roman 13: 10), because only true love is impartial. True justice, therefore, is love. To be just is to be fair, impartial and righteous. Justice therefore, is fair to all, including one’s opponent. Furthermore, it is not affected by time, place, person or situation.
True justice is revealed to us in the New Testament. When we were unfaithful to God and rejected His friendship, He did not give up on us, condemn us or take revenge. Instead, in His love, He compensated for our selfishness by emptying his life on our behalf and putting his life in us. Therefore, true justice does not condemn or sue others. On the contrary, it exercises mercy by forgiving others, and by sacrificing self, in order to help others to recover from their weaknesses. St. Paul teaches us that, the fact that we have legal disputes amongst us means that we have failed completely. He tells us that, it is better to be wronged and robbed, rather than we wrong or rob another person (1 Cor. 6:7).

True justice does not prefer one person’s right over another person’s right; rather, it makes sure that both sides are treated with love and dignity. It, therefore, helps both the offender and the victim, and does not fight or condemn the offender; does not ask back what has been borrowed; loves one’s enemies and prays for their happiness; gives without expecting anything in return; forgives others unceasingly; and keeps one’s good deeds secret (Matthew 5:38-42, Luke 6:27-38). True justice is merciful because mercy (which comes from God) is above all laws (James 2:13) and God demands mercy (Matt. 9:13). True justice therefore is never revengeful.
We should, therefore, pay back our offender’s offenses by love. Offer the other cheek when slapped on one, go an additional mile if asked to walk one, give more than what others demand from us and give our coat as well if someone demands of our shirt (Matthew 5:38-42, Luke 6:27-38).

Excellent advice Sis- I see the heart of the Master in you.

Back