What Is Evil?

Personal attacks are never a good thing especially when all I did was question something that should be easy for you to answer.

OP was an open question. It's not what you write that's important to me but how you write it.

If what I wrote did not make sense to you, why couldn't you just ask?

you attacked me first. don't try to deny it.

why don't you change back your post:

what was it again?
The post that you are referring to was commenting on a word Euphemia used which was the word thwart, and I was talking about how I found that word interesting and how I would try to use it more often. Which I believe that post was friendly, and had nothing to do with you, so I'm not sure how you feel that was an attack towards you. The reason I changed it is because of an ongoing joke between mitspa and I.

You should read carefully before you assume someone is attacking you.

The post that you are referring to was commenting on a word Euphemia used which was the word thwart, and I was talking about how I found that word interesting and how I would try to use it more often. Which I believe that post was friendly, and had nothing to do with you, so I'm not sure how you feel that was an attack towards you. The reason I changed it is because of an ongoing joke between mitspa and I.

You should read carefully before you assume someone is attacking you. You will know if I ever decide to attack you, which I wouldn't ;)
I don't know ANYTHING about an "ongoing" joke...don't make stuff up Where!...:mad:

You should read carefully before you assume someone is attacking you.

really? well that's good to know then and I apologise.

May I ask what the joke was?

really? well that's good to know then and I apologise.

May I ask what the joke was?

Mitspa likes to randomly dislike my posts, because I usually have a higher rating then him and he is very jealous. So when he dislikes my post, I will change it to something that he should not be disliking.

Its not that you are bolding things. Its that you are bolding things when you quote me. And you're making assumptions about things I never said. For example:

"So those who know the word of God never commit evil acts? Really?"

I didn't say anything close to this, but you quoted me like i did.

oh good then, my mistake completely.

I do tend to bold and italic a lot but because that confuses you I will stop. I never intended to put words in your mouth.

This is why most evil people don't know they are evil, because they do not know the word of God.
This is why Adam and Eve committed the first evil act because the devil made Adam and Eve question the word of God which led them to go against the word of God. Eating that fruit that God told them not to was pure evil. But I'm sure the devil would say its not evil to eat fruit, and it's not evil to be fruity.

So those who know the word of God never commit evil acts? Really?

I'm making this assumption because you said "most evil people don't know they are evil, because they do not know the word of God".

I'm sure there is something I missed?

Also if it was really commanded by God, it would not be horrible. I bet in the end times when the world starts to attack Israel, and God has his hand over Israel protecting her, there will be people like you thinking it's evil how the Israeli soldiers are killing people… But I bet heaven will be cheering for them.

you changed that as well? (sorry, emphasise is for the bit you changed, the original was something about me wasn't it) never mind that though.

oh good then, my mistake completely.

I do tend to bold and italic a lot but because that confuses you I will stop. I never intended to put words in your mouth.

I'm making this assumption because you said "most evil people don't know they are evil, because they do not know the word of God".

I'm sure there is something I missed?

you changed that as well? (sorry, emphasise is for the bit you changed, the original was something about me wasn't it) never mind that though.

Yeah I'm saying most people don't know they are doing wrong because they've never really been told what was right and wrong. Its normally just based on whatever society is doing. Like in some societies its okay to marry a girl at the age of 12 where as some it is not okay, and they would consider that society to be evil. Who's to say which is right and which is wrong? This is why Christians focus on the word of God to figure out what is right and wrong, and not based on what the world is doing. Again nothing I am saying is directed at you personally, I'm just giving my thoughts on the topic.

I could be confused about your bolding because of my lack of coffee, or it could be just because I'm a moron ;) If you knew me in person you would know I'm a pretty easy going guy and I'm sure you would get along with me. So hopefully you don't take any of my posts the wrong way.

Last edited:
As best I know there is no scripture to support or discourage this but how far would you go to thwart those who you perceive as evil?

eg. are you prepared to break God's laws (thou shalt not kill, bear false witness)?

If you do not mind I would also like your definition of what evil is (without quoting scripture please).

Thanks.
I've had this question in my mind a lot. I have a feeling that God wouldn't approve of breaking his laws, no matter what the circumstances were. But honestly idk, this question always puzzled me, probably because I make it into an extreme hypothetical question "if someone was going to kill me, would I defend myself if it meant killing them?", or "if someone was going to kill someone in front of me and I could stop it by killing the person who intended to murder, would I do it?". I'd love if someone had some good insight on this topic they could share on this thread because I'd really love to hear the answer too goggles.

If you do not mind I would also like your definition of what evil is (without quoting scripture please).

The definition of evil = what God hates. It cannot be explained without God's word. Mitspa already mentioned pride. For simple discussion I would like add these verses, Matt 15:18 But the things that come out of a person's mouth come from the heart, and these defile them. Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it? Matt 5:8 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart and Rom 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live.

Scripture is crystal clear that evil comes from the heart. It should be obvious as we could 'accidentally' kill someone :whistle:. The heart desires things rooted in pride / pleasing to 'the flesh'. Like greed, power, revenge, vengeance, immoral pleasures etc etc.

These desires are the opposite of God's desires. God HATES these evil intentions of the heart. God loves humility, turning the left cheek, mercy, longsuffering, forgiveness, honoring our bodies as the temple of God. That is who God is. God hates sin. God loves all of His creation.

As best I know there is no scripture to support or discourage this but how far would you go to thwart those who you perceive as evil?
eg. are you prepared to break God's laws (thou shalt not kill, bear false witness)?

Thanks.
We don't fix evil with evil. We do not entertain malicious / vengeful thoughts. We do have a right to self defence and helping the weak. Whatever we do, you must remember we are to judge and examine ourselves daily in fear and trembling before God Phil 2:12.

It is not a sin to kill in self defense.
I wish you would elaborate. The reason this question is even more hard for me to answer is because just look at Jesus. I know he had a reason behind his death, but he didn't defend himself at all, he even yelled at Peter to put his sword away when Jesus was being taken John 18:10-11. Also Matthew 5:39 Jesus says if someone slaps you turn to them your other cheek. I know that being slapped is not the same as someone about to murder you or someone else, but idk.. I really would appreciate if you elaborate on self-defense though. Like I said, I really don't know what I would do.

I wish you would elaborate. The reason this question is even more hard for me to answer is because just look at Jesus. I know he had a reason behind his death, but he didn't defend himself at all, he even yelled at Peter to put his sword away when Jesus was being taken John 18:10-11. Also Matthew 5:39 Jesus says if someone slaps you turn to them your other cheek. I know that being slapped is not the same as someone about to murder you or someone else, but idk.. I really would appreciate if you elaborate on self-defense though. Like I said, I really don't know what I would do.

I was getting read to say should Jesus have defending himself on the cross, and the Peter reference but you said it first. :)

I'm looking in my bible for verses that say it's not a sin to defend yourself, but I can only find verses like this:

"But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also."

Back