What is faith?

What is faith?

Hebrew 12:13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Now aren’t we called to be a peculiar people that God has reserved for himself? Exodus 19:5-6) “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine; And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.” Aren’t we as a people, as God’s people driven by faith and are persuaded by the promise of eternal life, by the hope of the world to come, by our desire to please God to live by our faith? Someone can talk faith saying I have it, but (James 2:20) “faith without works is dead” and talk is cheap, but when we let our actions and our life, the way we carry ourselves, act, speak, and think to pleasing God, then we are headed toward the right direction. When Israel decided not to stand against the Amorites, when they did not put there trust in God, what type of faith was being shown? When Caleb took courage and boldness willing to stand against odds and adversity saying, Numbers 14:9) “Only do not rebel against the LORD; and do not fear the people of the land, for they will be our prey. Their protection has been removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them.”, what faith was being shown? One, the children of Israel fainted in the time of adversity and at the same time disobeyed God. Caleb on the other hand, trusted in the Lord and obeyed willing to fight though others were not. Hebrews 11:7) “By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.” He obeyed God and built the ark, he did not just sit while the flood was about to come, he took action and hearkened unto the voice of the Lord.

Hebrews 11:7) “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.” He was uncertain of the destination, yet when God said to him (Genesis 12:1-3) “Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.” Abraham obeyed and left in hope of the promise. Part of faith, what develops from faith, are works, fruitfulness, after time develop, leaning to God results in works. 1 Corinthians 3:6) “I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” John 15:5) “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” By the Lord’s working upon us only can we bring forth spiritual fruit and it all starts with, but not only having faith. But one’s faith must be active and put into motion in order to achieve success. Can we only have faith and hear THE END, I think not. But when we push to seek our Maker, our Father, our Lord, each and every day with diligence striding for (but not justified by) obedience (for by works no man is justified, Revelation 3:2) “I have not found thy works perfect before God.”), then can we thrive producing spiritual fruitfulness (Matthew 13:8) “some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Hebrew 12:13) These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth.

Now aren’t we called to be a peculiar people that God has reserved for himself? Exodus 19:5-6) “Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine; And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.” Aren’t we as a people, as God’s people driven by faith and are persuaded by the promise of eternal life, by the hope of the world to come, by our desire to please God to live by our faith? Someone can talk faith saying I have it, but (James 2:20) “faith without works is dead” and talk is cheap, but when we let our actions and our life, the way we carry ourselves, act, speak, and think to pleasing God, then we are headed toward the right direction. When Israel decided not to stand against the Amorites, when they did not put there trust in God, what type of faith was being shown? When Caleb took courage and boldness willing to stand against odds and adversity saying, Numbers 14:9) “Only do not rebel against the LORD; and do not fear the people of the land, for they will be our prey. Their protection has been removed from them, and the LORD is with us; do not fear them.”, what faith was being shown? One, the children of Israel fainted in the time of adversity and at the same time disobeyed God. Caleb on the other hand, trusted in the Lord and obeyed willing to fight though others were not. Hebrews 11:7) “By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.” He obeyed God and built the ark, he did not just sit while the flood was about to come, he took action and hearkened unto the voice of the Lord.

Hebrews 11:7) “By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went.” He was uncertain of the destination, yet when God said to him (Genesis 12:1-3) “Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.” Abraham obeyed and left in hope of the promise. Part of faith, what develops from faith, are works, fruitfulness, after time develop, leaning to God results in works. 1 Corinthians 3:6) “I have planted, Apollos watered; but God gave the increase.” John 15:5) “I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.” By the Lord’s working upon us only can we bring forth spiritual fruit and it all starts with, but not only having faith. But one’s faith must be active and put into motion in order to achieve success. Can we only have faith and hear THE END, I think not. But when we push to seek our Maker, our Father, our Lord, each and every day with diligence striding for (but not justified by) obedience (for by works no man is justified, Revelation 3:2) “I have not found thy works perfect before God.”), then can we thrive producing spiritual fruitfulness (Matthew 13:8) “some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Hebrews 11

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
2For by it the elders obtained a good report.
3Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

If faith is a substance, and the just shall live by faith. I submit that faith is a tool God has given us to use. What do you think? Does this make sense?:)

Faith

{8} All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
(8) The gift of faith proceeds from the free election of the Father in Christ, after which everlasting life necessarily follows: therefore faith in Christ Jesus is a sure witness of our election, and therefore of our glorification, which is to come.

"Those who look high in their expectations, and hope to enjoy the glory of God, must aim high in those endeavours, and study to do the works of God, works which he requires and will accept, works of God, distinguished from the works of worldly men in their worldly pursuits. It is not enough to speak the words of God, but we must do the works of God. (2.) Must be willing to do any thing: What shall we do? Lord, I am ready to do whatever thou shalt appoint, though ever so displeasing to flesh and blood, Acts 9:6. 2. Christ's answer was plain enough (v. 29): This is the work of God that ye believe. Note, (1.) The work of faith is the work of God. They enquire after the works of God (in the plural number), being careful about many things; but Christ directs them to one work, which includes all, the one thing needful: that you believe, which supersedes all the works of the ceremonial law; the work which is necessary to the acceptance of all the other works, and which produces them, for without faith you cannot please God. It is God's work, for it is of his working in us, it subjects the soul to his working on us, and quickens the soul in working for him, (2.) That faith is the work of God which closes with Christ, and relies upon him. It is to believe on him as one whom God hath sent, as God's commissioner in the great affair of peace between God and man, and as such to rest upon him, and resign ourselves to him."

Matthew Henry
John 6:37 Bible Commentary

For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; Eph 2:8

Salvation is by God's grace, through faith, by way of-and not of ourselves-in any way of; it is the gift of God...so that no one may boast, in any way. His elect receive a measure of faith from the Author and Perfector at regeneration in order to believe in Him, but all blessings from God flow to us through Jesus Christ, by faith...it is the way God chose for us to believe through, and even that is a gift as it is part of the salvation process.

Therefore, the promise is based on faith, so that it may be a matter of grace and may be guaranteed for all of Abraham's descendants-not only for those who were given the law, but also for those who share the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all. Rom 4:16

"Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, so that you will abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13

"...Our own power will never reach this; therefore where this hope is, and is abounding, the blessed Spirit must have all the glory. All joy and peace; all sorts of true joy and peace, so as to suppress doubts and fears, through the powerful working of the Holy Spirit." Matthew Henry Romans 15:13 Bible Commentary

My Response

faith without works is dead James 2:20

yet we are not saved by works

Ephesians 2:8-9) For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Works are generated by true faith, many have faith but without action and the pursuit of God faith is vain and empty.

Luke 12:47) And that servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.

Sounds like they did not act on their faith and what makes it even worse is that they knew the Lord's will and decided not to do it!

FAith is a substance.

Well, the question posted is What is faith.

Then we went into some deep things with lots of scriptures, all were pretty good. Some examples of faith were mentioned.

But the question still remains. What is faith.

Denadii Cho Chimes in and tells us that faith is a substance. A substance of What?

Works are generated by true faith, many have faith but without action and the pursuit of God faith is vain and empty.
Sounds like they did not act on their faith and what makes it even worse is that they knew the Lord's will and decided not to do it!

Yes, Works are generated by faith, but we are not saved by works.

If you believe something you will act on what you believe, and speak as if you believe it. If you believe by his stripes I am healed you will act on that and speak that you will recover.

However the Bible says that faith is a substance.............. A substance of a thing. Now that is interesting.

Jesus Is Lord.

Here in Heb. 11:1 we have to look very carefully at what the word translated "substance" actually means. Interestingly it is the only time the greek word upostasis is translated in this way. Literally it means "That which stands under - the substratum".

For example, when the Scriptures speak of the young man wasting his substance with riotous living in Luke 15:13, the word used is ousia which means being or essence, whilst the word huparxis is used in Heb. 10:34 to speak of goods or property.

So, taking the translation literally Faith is that which stands under or supports those things that are hoped for.

Personally I can witness to the fact that the gift of faith which God has given me does support me in my hope of eternal life (just so long as we translate elpis (Hope) in its meaning of that it is that hope "which we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast" (Heb. 6:19)

God bless you all as we learn together.

What is faith.

Here in Heb. 11:1 we have to look very carefully at what the word translated "substance" actually means. Interestingly it is the only time the greek word upostasis is translated in this way. Literally it means "That which stands under - the substratum".

Jeanann............

Substratum:

1. a part, substance, element, etc. which lies beneath and supports another; foundation
    2. any basis or foundation

So Faith is the basis, foundation, which supports the thing your hoping for.

Joh 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Col 1:16 For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear.

So God did not create everything out of nothing as some think. Everything was created from something we can not see. Everything was created from a real substance, and that substance was faith.

So to have FAith in God for something, would mean your believing on something that is really there, has evidence that it is there, and will show up and come to pass.

So it is not called faith, if it is not going to show up and be real in your life. It is called wishing.

Jesus Is Lord.

My Response II

If faith be the foundation, then what one puts on top of is is critical, whether is be Christ Jesus or ... something else.

1 Corinthians 3:11-13) For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.

What ever is on top of someone's foundation is where and what they hope in and put their hope. And as we all know if a man put there hope anywhere besides in Christ our Lord and God, then that foundation will crumble

Matthew 7:24-25) Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

Matthew 7:26-27) And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand: And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Notice how the base or the foundation of one's house or faith and its composure was determined by whether they kept the Lord's sayings, keeping his word. Someone can claim faith all they want and yet if they keep not the Lord's sayings, they are hypocrites, and we all know that a hypocite will not prosper.

Faith a foundation.

If faith be the foundation, then what one puts on top of is is critical, whether is be Christ Jesus or ... something else.

So faith is the foundation that the word produces (Rom 10:17) and it is a real substance of a thing as everything was created from the substance of God's faith (Spoken Word) It is Concrete evidence that what we believe is real and not fake. (We walk by faith and not by sight or we walk by something we can not see but know is more real)

Building our foundation in Christ the Rock, with real substance and not just some feeling of trust in God, but a real "THING" we can not see.

Pretty Awesome Copper25.................. Faith seems to be a whole lot more than what we might have realized and the Word a whole lot more powerful in changing natural things, even our very foundation on the Word of God.

Great revelation folks!!!

Jesus Is Lord.

Well, the question posted is What is faith.

Then we went into some deep things with lots of scriptures, all were pretty good. Some examples of faith were mentioned.

But the question still remains. What is faith.

Denadii Cho Chimes in and tells us that faith is a substance. A substance of What?

Yes, Works are generated by faith, but we are not saved by works.

If you believe something you will act on what you believe, and speak as if you believe it. If you believe by his stripes I am healed you will act on that and speak that you will recover.

However the Bible says that faith is a substance.............. A substance of a thing. Now that is interesting.

Jesus Is Lord.
Check out this:

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/5813-substance.html

Adding to faith!!! No really!!

OK. After reading HisManySongs post on faith twice. Lets get this straight.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/5813-substance.html

God is the creator. Everything was made from the substance of His faith.

We are created like God, look like God, but not God or the creator.

The substance on the earth was created by God using God's faith.

We are told that by faith mountains move, sickness healed, walk on water, raise dead, ETC... Faith we have changes substance or things but not creates them.

Everyone is given THE measure of Faith. (Took faith to get born again)

Faith is only produced by the thing which produces it. (God's Word)

So, God gives the increase, revelation of his Faith producing word if we take heed and that causes us faith.

According to the article by Hismanysongs, God needs our faith (Agreement with What He already said and created) to move on our behalf. Without faith you can not please God. (Heb 11:6)

So faith (From us the created) is a substance that acts upon the Creators (God) substance to change it back to the will of God, after it gets distorted from it's original purpose in which God created it.

This is through the Work of Jesus, Who is the author and finisher of our faith.

So, the more Word of God we know and believe, the better off we are going to be, as we are told to use faith to resist Satan, move mountains, get people healed ETC......

Does this sound close?

Jesus Is Lord.

"It is by grace you have been saved, through faith - and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God." Eph. 2:8 It is good to remember that even our faith, whether small or great, has been received as a gift from God. He must always increase, whilst I must always decrease.

God bless us as we learn together

We have two threads going here with the same message so let me just put my opening post from " Without Faith ' here .

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/20606-without-faith.html

Hebrews 11:6 .....And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Notice .... It says without" Faith " you cannot please God . So it did not say with " good works" you offer Him because we cannot earn His favour.

I am thinking of people in the church who are into many ministries and think they are pleasing God because they think they are serving Him .

But beware, cause God looks at the heart and the motive and are they doing it for God or themselves.? We should be doing it because we love God , not because we are trying to get something from Him.

I think this verse is a reminder that God rewards those who diligently seek Him . He rewards those who do works out of the abundance of their heart. We will not receive blessing from God if we think we are doing these things for man and desire "a well done ' from people or the Pastor. For like Jesus says these people will get their reward here but not in heaven .

The Response!

John 3:36) He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him.

How simple is the truth of the bible when one does not lean to one's own hand. "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life" and those that don't believe have the wrath of God upon him. Now as we know, anyone that is in the flesh cannot please God. Romans 8:8) "So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God." So whether someone is in the flesh or not makes all the difference between life and death. Romans 8:13) "For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die", so all that are in the flesh don't believe on the Lord else they would have eternal life.

John 14:21) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Notice how his commandments correspond directly with his love and the person's love for him.

1 John 3:24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Notice that the keeping of His commandments corresponds with abiding in him! And we all know what happens to them that do not abide in him! John 15:6) "If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." So therefore they that do not keep his commandments do not believe in him because "He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him."

Back