What is Hell like?

What is Hell like?

What will Hell be like?

From (Luke 16:19-31 NIV)-

"There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores and longing to eat what fell from the rich man's table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.

"The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried. In hell, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. So he called to him, 'Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.'

"But Abraham replied, 'Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been fixed, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.'

"He answered, 'Then I beg you, father, send Lazarus to my father's house, for I have five brothers. Let him warn them, so that they will not also come to this place of torment.'
"Abraham replied, 'They have Moses and the Prophets; let them listen to them.'

" 'No, father Abraham,' he said, 'but if someone from the dead goes to them, they will repent.'

"He said to him, 'If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be convinced even if someone rises from the dead.
' "

Unfortunately for all unbelievers, even people who think they believe but don't produce the fruits of faith, there will be a complete and total lack of all comfort, in Hell; a lack of the daily comforts we all take for granted. When God says he brings rain on the Godly and ungodly alike, that means everyone is still in his grace; we all are still in his blessings while we are still in this life. We don't ever consider what the absence of those daily blessings would be like; what our daily lives would be without them.

Consider the pleasure of a nice cold can of pop or a nice slice of pie. Consider also how it feels working in the yard on a hot, blistery summer day, swamped with profuse sweat and dusty and dirty. The work needs to get done but the thoughts of a nice, cool shower are preeminent in the mind once the work is finished. Or, perhaps, the breathing in of a nice cool, refreshing breath of air. Maybe there's a sickness, like the flue, and the body is in so much discomfort. There might be dysentery? Think about that pain never ending.

All of these things would go without relief in Hell. Nobody in Hell would ever get that refreshing can of cold pop, nor would they ever get to taste of another piece of delicious pie, or any other tasty food that might be enjoyable here and now.

Nobody in Hell would ever get a cool, invigorating shower after dusty, dirty work and nobody would never again have a fresh breath of air. The painful, sickening feelings of an illness in the body like the flue would remain for all eternity. There would be no relief, no comforts at all in Hell. Satan certainly won't be able to provide anyone with any comforts. He'll be suffering just as much as anyone else in Hell.

Any kind of comforts, whatsoever, people currently have in this life; anything that would be considered a comfort and the things that are comforts that aren't considered, will be absent in hell.

The relief that is temporarily felt from scratching an itch. No relief from that itch in Hell. When God removes his presence from the condemned, he removes all of his blessings and his graciously bestowed, current comforts we all take for granted daily. The thought of how terrible prison life might be for anyone unfortunate enough to be sent there, hopefully never deserving for a believer, is a place of total comfort compared to Hell. The worst possible scenario that could ever become of anyone in this life would be like Heaven in Hell. Hell is a place of no comfort; completely devoid and lacking of comfort. One might think, "surely there would be a way to cope with the pain in Hell". That's the essence of Hell, nobody condemned to it will be able to cope with it. We are used to this life, it's all we know, we can't conceive of not being able to cope with something painful, even on the narrowest of margins.

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire *prepared for the devil and his angels*." (Matthew 25:41 NIV)

The eternal, almighty God has assigned two places for eternal domain: Heaven, where he has ordained for comfort, and Hell, which was prepared only for Satan and his angels. If he is able to send the strongest among us to Hell; if he is able to throw Satan, a being that is smarter and stronger than all of us combined, in Hell with ease, he is able to make it so that there is no hope; no comfort at any level.

There is hope, though, right now, in this life; hope for eternal life. God has made it incredibly simple to be safe from all this intense suffering and misery in Hell. He has provided everyone with a means of escape from this torment: his holy, precious, innocent son, Jesus Christ.

He says:

"He who believes and is baptized will be saved." (Mark 16:16a NIV)

"I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." (John 5:24-25 NIV)

"What must we do to do the works God requires? Jesus answered. The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent." (John 6:28b-29 NIV)

"For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day." (John 6:40 NIV)

"I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life." (John 6:47 NIV)

Pretty scary, isn't it?
I think it is hard for the average person to even slightly comprehend what hell will truly be like~

That is very true. Whatever God is and whatever his presence brings or gives, will be absent from the condemned. One thing we know of God, he is love. Not in a weak sense but in truth. It is hard to imagine but the void of love in a person's life would be one aspect of Hell.

I think maybe, possibly one way to get closer to understanding would be experiencing, in this life, a feeling of complete and deep despair and loss as though a person, who lived as a Christian their whole life, became convinced that God didn't exist and the death of loved ones brought separation forever; that they were gone forever. Being totally alone, isolated and separated from all life, fellowship and companionship. This kind of deep, to the core of a person's being, despair and aloneness, might hint at the misery of Hell. Then is added the punishment God specifically puts on the condemned.

Add to that the realization of how the condemned treated the holy, innocence, beauty and love of the eternal God. Realizing, in Hell, just how great the loss of God's love truly is, would be more than a person could bare, in my opinion.

Not for the Christian to contemplate. We have a dwelling in Heaven. We shall never know that despair; that wrenching sorrow. God has promised!

While there are different hells mentioned in scripture-There is no room for debate on the conditions of the final destination for the devil, his angels and all who reject Christ- it isn't called the lake of fire for nothing.:eek:

Very true but consider the opposite of love. One thing is certain, there will be "gnashing of teeth" in Hell. That "gnashing of teeth" is an image of pure hate and anger. The absolute absence of love. When we think of a very angry person we sometimes think of red-hot anger, so to speak.

Hell will be many miseries all combined. There will be absolute loss, hatred, anger, bitterness, sorrow, aloneness (the comfort of companionship in Hell won't exist), hopelessness, etc. And most assuredly, pain.

Weeping and gnashing of teeth are mentiones 7 times in the New Testamant-
Here are a few scriptures each followed by quotes from Albert Barnes notes on the bible-

Mat 8:12But the children ofthe kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Our Saviour used the manner of speech to which they were accustomed, and said that "many of the pagans would be saved, and many Jews lost.
Shall be cast out into outer darkness ... - This is an image of future punishment. It is not improbable that the image was taken from Roman dungeons or prisons. They were commonly constructed under ground. They were shut out from the light of the sun. They were, of course, damp, dark, and unhealthy, and probably most filthy. Masters were in the habit of constructing such prisons for their slaves, where the unhappy prisoner, without light, or company, or comfort, spent his days and nights in weeping from grief, and in vainly gnashing his teeth from indignation. The image expresses the fact that the wicked who are lost will be shut out from the light of heaven, and from peace, and joy, and hope; will weep in hopeless grief, and will gnash their teeth in indignation against God, and complain against his justice. What a striking image of future woe! Go to a damp, dark, solitary, and squalid dungeon; see a miserable and enraged victim; add to his sufferings the idea of eternity, and then remember that this, after all, is but an image, a faint image, of hell!

Mat 13:41The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity;
Mat 13:42And shall cast them into a furnace of fire: there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth.

For these the Saviour toiled and died. They are the fruit of his labors. Yet amid them were wicked people; and all hypocrites and unbelievers in the church are the work of Satan. Yet they must remain together until the end, when they shall be separated, and the righteous saved and the wicked lost. The one shall shine clear as the sun, the other be cast into a furnace of fire - a most expressive image of suffering.
We have no idea of more acute suffering than to be thrown into the fire, and to have our bodies made capable of bearing the burning heat, and living on m this burning heat forever and forever. It is not certain that our Saviour meant to teach here that hell is made up of "material" fire; but it is certain that he meant to teach that this would be a proper "representation" of the sufferings of the lost. We may be further assured that the Redeemer would not deceive us, or use words to torment and tantalize us. He would not talk of hell-fire which had no existence, nor would the Saviour of people hold out frightful images merely to terrify mankind. If he has spoken of hell, then there is a hell. If he meant to say that the wicked shall suffer, then they will suffer. If he did not mean to deceive mankind, then there is a hell, and then the wicked will be punished. The impenitent, therefore, should be alarmed. And the righteous, however much wickedness they may see, and however many hypocrites there may be in the church, should be cheered with the prospect that soon the just will be separated from the unjust, and that they shall shine as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.

Mat 24:48But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;
Mat 24:49And shall begin to smite his fellow servants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;
Mat 24:50The Lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him,and in an hour that he is not aware of,
Mat 24:51And shall cut him asunder and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing ofteeth.

Weeping and gnashing of teeth - The unfaithful and wicked minister of God, who lives without expectation or fear of judgment, shall suffer the severest punishment inflicted on sinners in the world of woe.

It isn't the Lord's purpose to torment but his words will condemn. The very same words said to a believer will cause gnashing of teeth in an unbeliever. The double edged sword. It cuts two way, it will bring a person to faith or it will cause the hardening of heart in those who refuse it.

so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it. (Isaiah 55:11 NIV)

If an unbeliever continues to resist the work through the word of the Holy Spirit, they eventually will be hardened. Once the words of God are heard or read, the Holy Spirit is at work. He will do his work effectively. He will work faith in the person or he will harden the person. It may take a life time but that work of the Holy Spirit will not be done the way we humans do work, inefficiently and lazily. The Holy Spirit will not stop his work because he may be tired or whatever, he will see it through to the end.

Once the work has begun, there is no putting it off till some better day. That person will be only allowed to go in one of two directions: they will become a believer or they will remain in unbelief. A person wanting to put off the conversion for a better day, is the same as remaining an unbeliever.

So, as the Holy Spirit says:
"Today, if you hear his voice,
do not harden your hearts
as you did in the rebellion,
during the time of testing in the desert,
where your fathers tested and tried me
and for forty years saw what I did.
That is why I was angry with that generation,
and I said, 'Their hearts are always going astray,
and they have not known my ways.'
So I declared on oath in my anger,
'They shall never enter my rest.' "See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart that turns away from the living God. But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness. We have come to share in Christ if we hold firmly till the end the confidence we had at first. As has just been said: "Today, if you hear his voice, do not harden your hearts as you did in the rebellion."
(Hebrews 3:7-15 NIV)

The unbeliever cannot postpone the work of the Holy Spirit. It is either now or never.

The savior doesn't torment but, "As for the person who hears my words but does not keep them, I do not judge him. For I did not come to judge the world, but to save it. There is a judge for the one who rejects me and does not accept my words; that very word which I spoke will condemn him at the last day."

If it takes scaring a person; driving them to despair and fear and ultimately repentance, his words are useful. For the Lord to use fearful language in the descriptions of Hell and eternal torment, is a loving thing on his part. He desires everyone to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth. He knows, because he used them, that fearful words are necessary for some people because they are pretty much dug in to their unbelief like an Alabama tick dug into the flesh.:D

A pastor once told me " some come by love, some come by fear"- either way they are welcome into the Kingdom od God- I only presented those commentairies because sometimes they simply present a fresh view on a subject and I am in agreement with them on this- it is difficult to put eternal torment into words a human mind can really understand- thanks be to God for Jesus Christ our Lord - we don't have to fear.

some think they can tithe ,some think and believe evil dressed as lambs.some think they all go to heaven.some get dilusions from God.some thing they know better,someuse scripture to condone there behaviour.some think they have a person relationship that its ok to break the commandments.some talk just scripture in huge posts to put of young christians,some think religion is weak.some think religion is to be strong but in a wrong direction.this is life trust yourself and be strong ,work out the mind games.trust good faith.

To trust oneself is folly as the scripture decalres " in my flesh dwells no good thing"- instead as christians we trust in Jesus- He is our wisdom- God's Word is to exhort , encourage, renew our minds (change the way we think) but never to put off- as christians it is our job to point out God's goodness not try to boost in our own selves-you seem quite jaded Smellycat has someone offended you

no .not at all,but im standing up for good all day long.no unterior motive,i say the truth,but i dont need situations that sway the mind.let them get on with it.

I pray God's blessings on you tonight brother- have a good night- Larry

hell is reserved for the spineless,people who manipulate every situation to get rich or control love.spoilt people who cant get there own way.to justify actions ,for there family,for there children.they put a justification on all wrong they do.but worst who the ones who think they are saved and thats that.it doesnt matter im saved .lol there mentality twice the child of hell to "save 1"lol.

All who don't come to know Jesus as Saviour will get reservations in that hot hotel- and our goodness will never get us in- but if we trust Jesus and let Him be our righteousness we can know we are saved

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

it seems to me satan rolls over every generation to get his way,to stop satan is to stop ourselves in unison.i cant see this happening until the end.good blessing brothers in a generations fight.

All who don't come to know Jesus as Saviour will get reservations in that hot hotel- and our goodness will never get us in- but if we trust Jesus and let Him be our righteousness we can know we are saved

2Ti 1:9 Who hath saved us, and called us with an holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began,

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

1Jn 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

As always, thanks for the scriptural inspiration. Those words are life to us. Someone once told me that if Jesus' time with us brought only one word from him, that would be the most precious and valuable thing the universe could know. And also that we aren't even worthy of that one, single, word. Then consider a whole, huge book of his words that he has graciously given us! :)

1. Revelation 19:20
    And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshipped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone.
    Revelation 19:19-21 (in Context) Revelation 19 (Whole Chapter)
  2. Revelation 20:10
    And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
    Revelation 20:9-11 (in Context) Revelation 20 (Whole Chapter)
  3. Revelation 21:8
    But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Just bits and pieces I dont want to hear what it really is like because I dont plan on being found there! I want to be where Jesus is!

hell will be your worst nightmare. heaven on the other-hand = eternal paradise ^_^ worshiping and praising our Lord in his Kingdom. :D Mathew 22:14 >>> For many are called but few are chosen. I am not going to be left behind when the rapture ocurrs. You gotta pray to the Lord that he will not forget you :)

Back