What Is Religion?

Philosophers and humanists have made attempts to study God and give us their findings as systems to help humanity in reaching God.
These systems then are referred to as "RELIGION".

Beginning with himself as the model, man seeks to define what God is like. However, a view of God from the eyes of an unregenerated man can only result in a distorted concept. So then logically, a distorted view of God can only produce a fruitless search for the inner peace we all look for.

Religious systems are the result of man's attempts to explain God from the human perspective. So then the real question comes down to this...….
Can we know God, and if we can......HOW?

The answer is YES.

But since all men suffer from the same sin problem, we are incapable of giving a valid description of true diety, it was then necessay for God Himself to reveal Himself to humanity.

The next question is then …….In what way did He reveal Himself.????

#1.
God revealed Himself in man's conscience.

Romans 1:19-
"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them."

Romans 2"15-
"They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them."

That tells us that man is born with innate desire to worship something. That very fact has lead man on a spiritual journey in an attempt to find his creator.

#2.
God revealed Himself in His Creation.

Genesis 1:1-
" In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth."

Romans 1:20-
"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse."

In His creative work, God shows some of His powers. Only a divine, perfect God could have created such a magnificent Universe.

#3.
God reveled Himself in Jesus Christ.

Matthew 1:23
“Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and they shall call his name Immanuel” (which means, God with us)."

John 14:9-11
"Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves."

In God's mind. it was necessary that man be able to actually see Him. In His becoming a human man and coming to earth, God then displayed His relationship with His Creation. Then in an act that only He could do, He offered Himself as a sacrifice to atone for all of humanities sins.

He revealed Himself in His written Word.

Luke 4:4-
" And Jesus answered him, “It is written, ‘Man shall not live by bread alone.’”

2 Timothy 3:16...……..
"All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness,"

2 Peter 1:21
"For no prophecy was ever produced by the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit."

Amen Major
Certainly some interesting points on religion.
As you mentioned, we within ourselves have a 'distorted concept' due to the fall.
I find it interesting that directly after the fall man tried religion.
Genesis 3:7 "and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons."

Amen Major
Certainly some interesting points on religion.
As you mentioned, we within ourselves have a 'distorted concept' due to the fall.
I find it interesting that directly after the fall man tried religion.
Genesis 3:7 "and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons."

Agreed. Having realized they had sinned, the 1st thing that they tried to do was to save themselves by their own works.

That is still the #1 thing that hinders the lost man from being saved today...……."I am a good person".

Back