What is the hardest part about being a Christian?

What for you is the hardest part of your Christian walk?

For me it is devoting all my heart, soul, mind, and strength to God 100% of the time. And having the will to not only abstain from sin, but to also actively pursue righteousness. Also the doubt if I really am as close to God as I need to be. I'm not.

I have never thought about how being Christian is difficult. For me, it is like breathing. I just happens. Under pressure, maybe I would deny Jesus just like Peter did.

I know that for some people, being Christian is a major ordeal. I know because I read The Seven Storey Mountain, an autobiography of Thomas Merton. Merton trod a rocky road to religion from Italian cathedrals through Communist Party meetings. He decided to accept Jesus one day when he was on a date with a girl. He doesn't say how the girl felt about it. As a new convert, he went to Cuba, where he experienced a sort of satori with the Virgin Mary.

I don’t know if I am a good Christian, but I am the one that I am. It is something like playing ball. I practice the fundamentals. If my team does not win, I feel like I did the best that I could.

For me it is devoting all my heart, soul, mind, and strength to God 100% of the time. And having the will to not only abstain from sin, but to also actively pursue righteousness. Also the doubt if I really am as close to God as I need to be. I'm not.
Obeying the still small voice to the nth degree without dismissing Him or listening to myself instead.

After much thought I have to agree with LS and WitM.

Loving enemies / doing unto them as you would like done unto you > walking on water.

Knowing the scripture, but can't live according to it...

But those times I share my prayer request w my church and look towards Jesus to get through :)

1) Wondering if I'm insane. Then, when there is proof I'm not, just plain not even knowing what to think about it.

2) wondering why me, when I'm the worst of them.

Trying to find the truth. It is hard to know whether my interpretation of things, wether the things I believe to be right actually are right.

Believe the word of God when questions about your sanity comes - and it will:

2 Timothy 1:7 (KJV)
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

The hardest thing for me is trying to walk on water. I keep getting wet and wet and wet.

Back