What is the holy spirit?

What is the holy spirit?

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. What is the Holy Spirit? What does it do? Whats it's purpouse? If it's God, then why do we need God as a Holy spirit? There is already God in heaven we pray to.

The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. What is the Holy Spirit? What does it do? Whats it's purpouse? If it's God, then why do we need God as a Holy spirit? There is already God in heaven we pray to.

Mellow, The Holy Spirit is not an it, but a He. He is God The Holy Spirit! He is Jesus Christ living in Us, who believe on the Lord Jesus Christ.

He is the Third person of the God head, The Trinity! His ministry involves so much.

For one thing 1 Corinthians 2 For one thing He reveals truth to the believer. Those who are in Christ Jesus.
1 Corinthians 2: 10-16 10 But God has revealed them to us through His Spirit. For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God.
11 For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.
13 These things we also speak, not in words which man’s wisdom teaches but which the Holy Spirit teaches, comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he who is spiritual judges all things, yet he himself is rightly judged by no one.
16 For “who has known the mind of the LORD that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.

Amen Remnant. He is a wonderful person awesome in power but gentle and gracious in nature. He can be grieved and quenched as He will not force men to follow Himself. He is the One who walks beside us ,leads us and reveals the Father's will , reveals the Word of God and reveals the love of Christ to us. He is our teacher, our comforter and He is the very power and presence of God that indwells the spirit of a born again believer.:)

He, the Holy Spirit, is the third Person of the Trinity. God is a Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit--equal in power. He is our Comforter, our Guide, our Teacher, and He convicts us of sin. He is not an "it" but a real entity and a real part of God. It is His job to also point people to Christ. He works in the hearts of the lost to bring them to a saving knowledge of the Saviour, Christ Jesus.

His personal nature is shown by the things He does : He dwells with us ( John 14 : 26 ) teaches ,convinces of sin,, guides , speaks , , inspires the scriptures,call ministers , sends out workers, intercedes. He has many attributes of personality ,love , thought , will, mind, knowledge, words . The Holy Spirit can be treated as one may treat a human person , he can be lied to , , tempted , grieved,outraged., blastphemed against. The Holy Spirit is God , equated with the Father and the Son. Jesus speaks of Him as His other self ( John 14 : 16 ).whose presence with the disciples will be of greater advantage than His own. ( 16 :7 ).To have the Spirit of God is to have Christ. The Father sends the Holy Spirit to live and work in people 14:26; 16 :7 ) The Holy Spirit is our comforter.

God is ONE, present in three separate entities. In order to be existent in our universe, he must have three forms. The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit all have the same Godhead. Father= Creator, Son= Savior, Holy Ghost= Sanctifier. God is omnipresent, meaning He is everywhere. So these three entities (Persons), have Him being everywhere.

But He is still one, remember.

There is only one passage in the Bible where it is stated specifically that The Holy Spirit is God. In Acts 5:1-4 we find Ananias and Sapphira, a husband and wife, lied to "the Holy Spirit" (verse 3) then in verse 4 the scriptures say they "lied to God." So who was lied to, God or the Holy Spirit? Both, because the Holy Spirit is God.

There are many many more that "say" the same thing in other ways. For instance, the scriptures state that Jesus is "the Son of God" no less than 50 times, so quite simply Jesus is God's son. Luke 1:35, "And the angel answered and said unto her, The Holy Spirit shall come upon thee, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow thee: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." Based on this passage Jesus is the son of the Holy Spirit, so the Holy Spirit must be God. There are many many more passages that could be quoted but you get the idea, besides I'm beginning to believe the mods have it in for me, so I will shut up. :)

Ben

One day I'll get it.

This is how it was explained to me as a child....

We have been created in Gods image

...we each have a soul (God)
...a body (Jesus)
...and a spirit (The Holy Spirit)

...they each have a job/function, but are very much part of the same person, you cannot separate them, as they are the same person, but you can distinguish between them...

Your soul is eternal...it is what must be saved or will burn eternally

Your spirit is your personality...your mind, your heart

Your body is the fleshy part that houses all...

Not what is the Holy Spirit But Who is the Holy Spirit.

John 14
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit is a He not an it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

I know He is like a spirit that is always present, like guardian angels, except that He is inside us. What is the difference from being inside or beside us? Why does it matter that He is inside instead of beside us?

Not what is the Holy Spirit But Who is the Holy Spirit.

John 14
26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.

The Holy Spirit is a He not an it.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Hey adstar .... You took the words right out of my mouth. Not What but who. I could never ever call that Holy Spirit a what. He is very personal to me. That is almost like disrespect to the third person of the trinity. Holy Spirit is here with me every moment of the day. He is my comforter.

I know He is like a spirit that is always present, like guardian angels, except that He is inside us. What is the difference from being inside or beside us? Why does it matter that He is inside instead of beside us?

Sorry He is not like a Spirit . He is living inside me .Because when He lives inside , you can feel His guidance, He reveals thoughts and promises to you, He is ever present in the times of need , in the storms of life, in the good times and the bad . I can feel His Holy Presence.As you read the Word daily and meditate it is the Holy Spirit that speaks to you.

Your saying He reveals His thoughts and promises to us. Also since He is inside us it's almost as if we are Him. And He is walking around on earth still.

Since the Holy Spirit is God He is omni present. He does dwell in our inner man. He does reveal the Word and the Father's will to us.

Back