What Is The Nature Of YAH's/God's Law

We must, however, note that by keeping the Law in its entirety, both letter and spirit, our Lord lived a perfect life.

He Himself stated that he had not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but he had come to fulfil them (Matt.5:17) Our Lord gave that perfect Law its full meaning.

Thus by keeping God's perfect Law he was able to impart his rightousness to us, and because he had no sin, death had no hold upon him and he arose from the dead.

To say the law is "flawed" is to say that our Lord obeyed a flawed law - and that makes nonsense of the atonement.

We can in no wise keep the Law, but His perfect keeping of it is accounted to us, and thus we who trust in Him alone for our Salvation are counted as righteous. Thus our righteousness does not come from keeping the Law but from Christ who kept it perfectly. Phil. 3.9

We must, however, note that by keeping the Law in its entirety, both letter and spirit, our Lord lived a perfect life.

He Himself stated that he had not come to abolish the Law or the Prophets, but he had come to fulfil them (Matt.5:17) Our Lord gave that perfect Law its full meaning.

Thus by keeping God's perfect Law he was able to impart his rightousness to us, and because he had no sin, death had no hold upon him and he arose from the dead.

To say the law is "flawed" is to say that our Lord obeyed a flawed law - and that makes nonsense of the atonement.

We can in no wise keep the Law, but His perfect keeping of it is accounted to us, and thus we who trust in Him alone for our Salvation are counted as righteous. Thus our righteousness does not come from keeping the Law but from Christ who kept it perfectly. Phil. 3.9

Amen.:)

Jeanann, the Lord Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law not by living according to the external constraints, but by living according to the nature of the Holy Spirit (and His own divine nature) which is reflected in the Law - the very thing which we are to do under the New Covenant.

To say the Law is flawed (something the Word says, not me) does not make nonsense of the atonenment, it explains it. If the Law had been able to give man the power to do what it required, the atonement would have been unnecessary: man would have been able to gain salvation by his own efforts. It was only because of the limitations of the Law that Christ had to come to do what the Law could not do.

blessings,

Lynn

I've just thought of another way of expressing what I'm trying to say -

The Law gives us a snapshot (photo) of the character of God. It is a very good photo, but no photo, no matter how good, can ever be the same as the person it represents. When our family are away from us, we love to have photos to look at and remind us of them and what they are like. However, when our loved ones are with us, would it make any sense to spend all our time looking at the photos rather than enjoying a relationship with the people?

blessings,

Lynn

I just thought of something as well . Remember when the adulterous woman was brought before Jesus ? Well , Jesus could have followed the law and stoned her but that is not what He did . That to me is an example that He followed the Holy Spirit and did not condemn her , but told her to go and sin no more.

I just thought of something as well . Remember when the adulterous woman was brought before Jesus ? Well , Jesus could have followed the law and stoned her but that is not what He did . That to me is an example that He followed the Holy Spirit and did not condemn her , but told her to go and sin no more.

Hi Dusty, God bless you.

I'd like to tell you what Jesus did. Jesus being God, knows the entire scripture, but the Pharisees and teachers of the law who brought the woman before him, wanted to tested him if he knew about the scriptures (all of us know that these men didn't believe he was the Son of God, that's why they did this) and how he would judge this situation to accuse him afterwards.

So the law given to Moses said this:

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife -with the wife of his neighbor- both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. Deuteronomy 22:22

We could understand now why they were testing Jesus, because if HE would've said "Stone her, as the law demands", they would've accuse him about breaking the law, because the law demands the presence of both, the adulterer and the adulteress. And Jesus was not only demonstrating He knew what they were doing ,was against the Moses' law, but He taught them that nobody was free of sin too.

Blessings.

I cannot accept that the Law is "flawed" when Scripture itself tells us "The law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good." (Rom 7:12)

It reveals the sinfulness of mankind. Nothing that comes from God can ever in anyway whatsoever be described as "flawed", because God, whose character it reflects, and whose will it declares, is Himself holy.

May God bless us as we learn together.

The Law was good and true as the Word declares.
It's only weakness is that it was working through man's flesh.

Rom 8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
Rom 8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

So while the Law was good it could never fulfill it's own purpose except in Jesus Christ our Lord.
The Law was sent to demonstrate sin and man's need for a Savior. It could not impart life but could indeed demonstrate how guilty man was before God.

Rom 5:13 (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law.

Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.

Rom 5:20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:
Rom 5:21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Heb 7:19 For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God.

Hi Dusty, God bless you.

I'd like to tell you what Jesus did. Jesus being God, knows the entire scripture, but the Pharisees and teachers of the law who brought the woman before him, wanted to tested him if he knew about the scriptures (all of us know that these men didn't believe he was the Son of God, that's why they did this) and how he would judge this situation to accuse him afterwards.

So the law given to Moses said this:

If a man commits adultery with another man's wife -with the wife of his neighbor- both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death. Leviticus 20:10

If a man is found sleeping with another man's wife, both the man who slept with her and the woman must die. You must purge the evil from Israel. Deuteronomy 22:22

We could understand now why they were testing Jesus, because if HE would've said "Stone her, as the law demands", they would've accuse him about breaking the law, because the law demands the presence of both, the adulterer and the adulteress. And Jesus was not only demonstrating He knew what they were doing ,was against the Moses' law, but He taught them that nobody was free of sin too.

Blessings.

Yes Javier ... Thank you . That is exactly my point but I did not eleborate cause we are talking about the law .... the OT and NT and how the two vary and I was just trying to point out that the Old Testament Law was only acceptable to the Jews of the OT . and when Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more He was defying the Old law , even though He was a Jew for He knew that under Him and His shed Blood we are not subjected to the Old but to the new . We are new creations in Christ Jesus . Praise God and I do not have to go through all those ritual ceremonies to atone for my sins ... Thank the Lord for that .

I am covered by the Blood of Jesus Christ. I have the Holy Spirit , living in me who leads and guides me and the Holy Spirit is the One who I listen to . I am walking in the Light as He is in the light . Jesus Christ , the light of the world.

I was just trying to point out that the Old Testament Law was only acceptable to the Jews of the OT . and when Jesus told the woman to go and sin no more He was defying the Old law , even though He was a Jew for He knew that under Him and His shed Blood we are not subjected to the Old but to the new .

Hello again Dusty.

I couldn't skip this. Because of Jesus was Jew, remember he said: Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them. Matthew 5:17

Ant that's exactly what He was doing, fulfilling the Law, he wasn't defying it. The Pharisees and teaches were the ones breaking it on purpose, that's why He didn't condemned her, plus he show mercy saying "Go and sin no more"

Blessings.

And Javier , maybe also Jesus wanted to show the Pharasees that even though He was a Jew , He was not obligated to follow the law of stoning to prove to them that His love is greater and His mercy and He offers forgiveness of sin and that's what He did for the woman " Go and sin no more". Because He also said those without sin cast the first stone and they all dispersed.

And Javier , maybe also Jesus wanted to show the Pharasees that even though He was a Jew , He was not obligated to follow the law of stoning to prove to them that His love is greater and His mercy and He offers forgiveness of sin and that's what He did for the woman " God and sin no more". Because He also said those without sin cast the first stone and they all dispersed.

I'm sorry my dear Dusty, I still disagree with you in this point... but both you and me have different opinions about this topic.

Blessings.

I'm sorry my dear Dusty, I still disagree with you in this point... but both you and me have different opinions about this topic.

Blessings.

That's OK Javier ... We can agree to disagree and I appreciate your opinion and respect your point of view .

Thanks and God Bless

Back