What Is Truth?

SueJLove:

Yes, what I meant was that truth is given to us by revelation in Scripture.

But then with people we can point to Scripture and reason with them, on the basis of what Scripture says (not for speculation or for overriding clear statements with our opinions). Major, above, was also talking about reasoning.

So: reasoning on its own is mere rationalism. But reasoning from revelation gives our thought processes a truth anchor.

Blessings.

Correct. When we are anchored in God's Word we are never open to speculation, or our own thought processes.

Isaiah 1:18 ESV
English Standard Version
"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. "

Correct. When we are anchored in God's Word we are never open to speculation, or our own thought processes.

Isaiah 1:18 ESV
English Standard Version
"Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool. "

I think we have to admit that we have a reasoning faculty and we are meant to use it; but it needs to be enlightened by Scripture as led by the Spirit.

Romans 14 would tell us that many Christians on non-doctrinal matters will often come to different conclusions about all sorts of things.

Blessings.

I think we have to admit that we have a reasoning faculty and we are meant to use it; but it needs to be enlightened by Scripture as led by the Spirit.

Romans 14 would tell us that many Christians on non-doctrinal matters will often come to different conclusions about all sorts of things.

Blessings.

Yes.......context!

Romans 14:5...........
"One man esteemeth one day above another, another esteemeth every day alike, let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

God gives a concrete example of the differances between those who have laid hold on the truths of God's Word and those who tenaciousley cling to some legalistic practice.

Some of the brethern, whose faith is weak pick out a certain day and call it holy.....more holy than other days.

14:1
"Him that is weak in the faith".

What was the nature of the weakness?????

Those Roman believers who were weak in the faith were Christians who did not have the full understanding that salvation was a free gift of God and the believers faces no condemnation whatsoever because of the atonement of Christ.

Some of the Romans were holding onto laws and taboos because they did not understand justification by faith alone. Paul addressed both the living ones in Christ and those still bound by legalism. The strong were to receive the weak and they were not to argue over secondary things of differances.

I wish we could do that today here on this site.

Paul IMO makes it clear that he is 7 day a week Christian because of the liberty we have in Christ Jesus. We do not observe days but instead serve and worship Him who brings every day.

Yes.......context!

"One man esteemeth one day above another, another esteemeth every day alike, let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind".

God gives a concrete example of the differances between those who have laid hold on the truths of God's Word and those who tenaciousley cling to some legalistic practice.

Some of the brethern, whose faith is weak pick out a certain day and call it holy.....more holy than other days.

Those Roman believers who were weak in the faith were Christians who did not have the full understanding that salvation was a free gift of God and the believers faces no condemnation whatsoever because of the atonement of Christ.

Some of the Romans were holding onto laws and taboos because they did not understand justification by faith alone. Paul addressed both the living ones in Christ and those still bound by legalism. The strong were to receive the weak and they were not to argue over secondary things of differances.

Paul IMO makes it clear that he is 7 day a week Christian because of the liberty we have in Christ Jesus. We do not observe days but instead serve and worship Him who brings every day.

Oh, the taboos! :)

You have a point there!

The amount of taboos that folk hold onto!

You are near, O Lord, And all Your commandments are truth. (Psalms 119:151 NKJV)

So this also means, the commandments are not multiple choice.

Yes.......context!

Paul here was talking about the ceremonial yearly holidays, if the Jews want to keep it fine, but the Roman newly converts don't have to. They are not obligated to keep it is all Paul is saying. Just like for Christmas.....some Christians keep it and some say don't because that's not when Jesus was born and there is some paganism stuck to it.

If you don't worship a certain day God tells you to, (especially when the 4th commandment says REMEMBER), then what are you saying about His laws?
And so if you say everyday you observe it as a holy day you are lazy then, cuz God asks us to work 6 days a week and on the 7th day we shall rest and observe it as holy.

Paul here was talking about the ceremonial yearly holidays, if the Jews want to keep it fine, but the Roman newly converts don't have to. They are not obligated to keep it is all Paul is saying. Just like for Christmas.....some Christians keep it and some say don't because that's not when Jesus was born and there is some paganism stuck to it.

If you don't worship a certain day God tells you to, (especially when the 4th commandment says REMEMBER), then what are you saying about His laws?
And so if you say everyday you observe it as a holy day you are lazy then, cuz God asks us to work 6 days a week and on the 7th day we shall rest and observe it as holy.

Would you say that if we consider Romans 14:1-4 we would see that the focus is on EATING.

"Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations. For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs. Let not him that eateth despise him that eateth not; and let not him which eateth not judge him that eateth: for God hath received him. Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand."

I think Paul deals with this issue very succinctly in Romans 14, and we are NOT subject to the 10 commandments as they are the law and we are NOT under the law.

I think Paul deals with this issue very succinctly in Romans 14, and we are NOT subject to the 10 commandments as they are the law and we are NOT under the law.
I see a difference between the 'ten commandments' and the 'law'. Jesus confirmed the ten commandments, in particular commandments 1 & 2. I can't recall Him ever confirming any of the 'cultic' law, only disputing/defending against the Pharisees.
But Stan you are right in that we are under Grace and not under law. We have the 'law' written on our hearts.... I could not even consider coming by your house and nicking your lawn mower for example, because I know it is wrong, not because it is covered by commandment #? We no longer need a set of itemized rules.....We know Jesus, we know the truth and we are set free from the 'law'.

We are not saved by the law (commandments)....However, because we love Him we keep his law (since He tells us its in our heart). I love Him so I want to not have any other gods, I want to stay faithful to my spouse, I don't want to murder, i don't want to lie, I don't want to curse and I want to observe His day Holy.

I know many keep stressing "we are not under the law so we don't need to obey" this is a false theory. The Law tells us our awful state our hearts are in. Why would Jesus say "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:3, 4 KJV)"

In Revelation it is written He knows His saints because it's those that keep His commandments and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

What you are set free from is the handwritten ordinances which contain the ceremonial law
( sacrifices of animals)2 col 2:14. For these were the shadow of things to come and the real Lamb was sacrificed.

It makes no sense to say go and sin we are free.

What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! (Romans 6:15 NKJV)

Back