What to Do in the Middle of a Storm

What to Do in the Middle of a Storm

Matthew 7:24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Both men heard the word and the same storm came against both of them (verse 25 & 27). Have you ever heard anyone say that going through the storm makes you strong? Were both of these men made strong? No. We can see there was a completely different outcome.

Everyone goes through storms and trials, so if that was true everyone would be strong. But all are not strong. Some are depressed, devastated, defeated, become alcoholics, commit suicide. These storms come to destroy them and it did destroy one man. It didn’t come to bless them.

John 10:10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may havelife and have it abundantly.

So what was the difference in these two men? One just heard the word of God but the other one did what he heard. Its not the storm itself that makes us strong. Its what we do in the middle of a storm that makes the difference. Act on that Word you just heard. Faith without works (action) is dead (James 2:20).

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

The enemy doesn't care how much we hear the Word as long as we don't do it. We won't be any threat to him or his kingdom.

God's Word is a rock solid foundation. Stand on it firmly and do as it says.

Call the Plumber, there is a river going though my house.

Luk 6:48 He is like a man which built an house, and digged deep, and laid the foundation on a rock: and when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently upon that house, and could not shake it: for it was founded upon a rock.

I have often looked at these scriptures. We have two men that did hear the same exact Word. One took heed and was a doer and believer of that word, the Other brushed it off as unimportant.

The Lord pointed something out to me about these scriptures. This was sudden destruction, and without warning. I never really saw it that way before, but this is what He was referring to. I am sure Doppler Radar was not as good back then as it is today.

Millions of Gallons of water hit both houses with great force, yet we have two different outcomes.

During 911 many testimonies were given by believers that did not go to work that day, one mans alarm did not go off for some reason. Some where partners with Brother Copeland and some from other (Faith type Ministries) Some good Christians did die though. What was the difference?

During the Last tsunami in Indonesia there was a report of 400 Christians saved. Some reports that the wave was seen splitting before hitting certain churches. Other Churches not so fortunate.

Some Moslems of Meulaboh who were rescued from the disaster even said: “The God of the Christian has punished us, because we have been rude and not kind to them.” Some even said, “Why did so many of our people die but none of the Christians died?”

The blessings of God does not fall of a tree like ripe cherry's. What you believe, what your mouth is saying is what is in the abundance of your heart. Your speaking fear and doubt if that is what is in your heart or your speaking life and that no weapon formed against you can prosper, (Isa 54:17)

What we believe does not effect the Weapon being formed, it will be formed no matter what you believe or how great a Christian you think you are. However, what you believe, will always effect the outcome.

Great post!!!

Be Blessed.

These storms came to destroy them and it did destroy one man. It didn’t come to bless them.

Beside what was mentioned in my previous post and several other verses, here is more reason I do not believe the storms are from God.

Mark 4:35And the same day, when the even was come, he saith unto them, Let us pass over unto the other side.
36And when they had sent away the multitude, they took him even as he was in the ship. And there were also with him other little ships
37And there arose a great storm of wind, and the waves beat into the ship, so that it was now full. 38And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?
39And he arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was a great calm.
40And he said unto them, Why are ye so fearful? how is it that ye have no faith?

Jesus said they were going over to the other side. He only does His Father’s will, so that was the intention of both. He wouldn’t rebuke or stop anything His Father was doing. But He did rebuke and stop the storm. This was send to destroy them, but instead Jesus destroyed the works of the devil.

1 John 3:8b ….For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

When the storm comes, remember God isn’t the problem, He’s the answer to that problem.

Very Interesting!!!!!

So, you don't believe the Storms come from God? That is a very interesting stance. One that is not in the majority of opinion.

Everything that happens gets blamed on God. After all, you just never know why the Lord does what he does, or why he wants us to go though this. He is Mysterious in all his ways.

One of my favorites is this "God took you little boy, because he wanted another precious angel in his Heavenly quire.

People actually use this stuff and call it ministry. Talking to some Christians, you would think God was the biggest murder out there, cuz God allowed it or out right caused it. Forget we have a enemy or that we do some dumb goofy stuff on our own. It's got to be God's fault.

God caused this wreak to bring me closer to him, God gave me cancer so I would learn to have more faith, God took my child so I could learn to love him more. It's sad, but these people are going to have to give a answer for there false testimony when they stand before the Lord Jesus and give an account of their life and witness. Will their works be burned up?

This is the same attitude that the Children of Israel had.

Num 21:5 And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.

They accused God foolishly. It must have been God's fault they were in the situation they were in, right?

The biggest one I get a kick out of is Job................ God tested and sifted Job as wheat...........sure he did.

Let me get this straight.......... Our God, sent Satan to murder someone's Children, and make them sick, then destroy a bunch of his stuff, just to see if that person who was upright and loved God would curse him? Our God did that?

My God would never do that!!! There are so many scriptures to the contrary. IN fact, you will not find any example in the Bible that even points to God doing this to someone that obeyed him, and loved him. Just the opposite is true. People read Job, as if it is it's own separate book. You can only be patient with these people, because this is what they are taught in our many dead churches today.

58 some times we are told to fear not.......
48 some times we are told be not afraid.....
not counting all the be of good courage, take no thought, be strong,don't worry (Be careful for nothing) ETC.............

Job 3:25 For the thing which I greatly feared is come upon me, and that which I was afraid of is come unto me.

You think there might be a connection here somewhere???

Eph 4:27 Neither give place to the devil.

still not seeing the connection?

"Behold, all that he has in in your power."

This was not a Hebrew permissive statement. the World Behold simply means "Look and see, pay attention."

Job 2:3 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause.

Now there ya go. God said the whole deal was "WITHOUT CAUSE" Meaning, God never made a deal with Satan about Job cursing him. In fact, Nothing the devil said was even true, and God can not be tempted with Evil. There is no truth in the devil.... None!!! (John 8:44) Yet, many believe God fell hook, line and sinker for this so called deal................. Sure he did.........Not my God.

God even had to remind the devil not to kill Job, Meaning there was no deal to began with. I mean if Job is dead, then how can we find out if Job will curse God or not? God did not just arrive on the God scene that day, God knew he was dealing with a liar and there could be no deal with the devil.

People fail to realize........ God is never going to break his word or spiritual Laws he has set fourth. That would make him out to be a liar. The devil had a place, and God had no choice but to let him in. God is not going to be accused of Satan of being unfair or a liar. Satan will never find God in that position.

God not once acknowledge Satan's deal, yet those that call themselves Christians believe every word Satan said to God, even though all the other times we see the devil talking, he is lying though his teeth.

Go ahead and eat that, surly God did not say you would die??

Go ahead and jump, if your the son of God, then the Angels will catch you. Not a problem for you, right?

I am done...........

Be blessed and great posts!!!!

So, you don't believe the Storms come from God?

I've given scripture why and there is lots more.

That is a very interesting stance. One that is not in the majority of opinion.
I have to go by the Bible not opinion. People's opinions are not going to help me when I need it, but His Word will never return void.

Matthew 7:24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.
26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:
27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

Both men heard the word and the same storm came against both of them (verse 25 & 27). Have you ever heard anyone say that going through the storm makes you strong? Were both of these men made strong? No. We can see there was a completely different outcome.

Everyone goes through storms and trials, so if that was true everyone would be strong. But all are not strong. Some are depressed, devastated, defeated, become alcoholics, commit suicide. These storms come to destroy them and it did destroy one man. It didn’t come to bless them.

John 10:10The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may havelife and have it abundantly.

So what was the difference in these two men? One just heard the word of God but the other one did what he heard. Its not the storm itself that makes us strong. Its what we do in the middle of a storm that makes the difference. Act on that Word you just heard. Faith without works (action) is dead (James 2:20).

James 1:22 But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

The enemy doesn't care how much we hear the Word as long as we don't do it. We won't be any threat to him or his kingdom.

God's Word is a rock solid foundation. Stand on it firmly and do as it says.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/24773-storms.html
Thank you for this study . The Bible does talk about storms alot and I remember one of my threads where I talked about the storm and how we can like you said recieve the message or reject it . There are many people that we come accross in life and there will be people who reject what we say just like the response of the two men . And yes it is what we do with the storm and that is our choice . I have met many who want to wallow in the " Poor me " syndrome and live in the past thinking that people will give them sympathy if they tell all what has happened to " poor them". We all know people like that and it is so hard to be around them . We can take those storms and turn them into a blessing to testify to others of the goodness and love of God or like I said we can go the other route.

Jesus has power and authority over nature itself, as demonstrated in the story,in Matthew 8:23 -27..... where he calms a raging storm with a word. This story highlights both Jesus' power, and his disciples' difficulty in putting their complete faith in him, despite the miracles they witnessed. We all can relate to the disciples and sometimes it is difficult for us to really grasp the concept that Jesus is in the midst of our storm , but we need to believe.

And when he was entered into a ship, his disciples followed him.

And, behold, there arose a great tempest in the sea, insomuch that the ship was covered with the waves: but he was asleep.

And his disciples came to him, and awoke him, saying, Lord, save us: we perish.

http://www.christianforumsite.com/bible-studies/24773-storms.html

GodSpeaks said:
Mark4:8And he was in the hinder part of the ship, asleep on a pillow: and they awake him, and say unto him, Master, carest thou not that we perish?

Dusty said:
he calms a raging storm with a word. This story highlights both Jesus' power, and his disciples' difficulty in putting their complete faith in him, despite the miracles they witnessed.

Yes I was going to mention that point too. They didn’t do what Jesus had been teaching them all the time they were together ,even though they saw him do all kinds of miraculous things. He knew He wouldn’t be here a long time and was teaching them was so they could do the things He was doing.

Not only did they fail to take authority over the storm themselves as they should have, but they also doubted what He said because they were looking at the circumstances. They said they were going to perish instead of believing Jesus that they would get to the other side. Jesus said to them, where your faith because this was an opportunity to use their faith.

That’s what got Peter in the trouble after he actually walked on the water. He began to sink because he began to look at the circumstances, the wind and waves, instead of keeping His eyes on the Master and what He said.

Keep your eyes on His promises until the answer comes, not on your situation. That can change in the natural back and forth several times a day. The god of this world controls the natural sense realm.

How many of you know anytime you start to do what the Lord said, the devil will try to stop you? That’s always his mission. When there is a storm that tries to keep us from doing what the Lord said, don’t allow it to cause you to give up on the way and prevent you from arriving on the other side. We need to stay in the boat with Jesus, believe and do what He tells us, and we will arrive there just as He said.

How many of you know anytime you start to do what the Lord said, the devil will try to stop you? That’s always his mission. When there is a storm that tries to keep us from doing what the Lord said, don’t allow it to cause you to give up on the way and prevent you from arriving on the other side. We need to stay in the boat with Jesus, believe and do what He tells us, and we will arrive there just as He said.

Good thought .... The staying power is what we need to ask the Lord for and like you said not to focus on our problem but to focus on the outcome with Jesus as the Captain of our boat .

I know many have gone through alot of things this year, including probably some here. I pray the Lord gives you a breakthrough and turns things around and gives you a better year

Back