What value ?

What value ?

I have read Matt 26 many times as you all no doubt have... but in reading it once again I believe The Holy Spirit showed me something I had not seen before in this scripture.
The passage I am refering to is the one where Mary is anointing the feet of The Lord with expensive perfume. Those observing this had remarked that this perfume was of great worth and could have been sold and the money given to the poor. The Lord knew what was really in their hearts...and it wasnt concern for the poor!!
Having read this I immed thought.... how could they place value...in terms of money on The Lord.......what a nasty bunch of people they must have been.
Then I began to relate this to my own walk and asked myself ...what value do I place on The Lord Jesus. Do I at all times afford Him His rightful place in my heart and life? Do I sometimes spend my too much of my lesiure time (brief though it is) on doing my own thing. Now I know we all need time to winde down but I think you all will know what I mean. Have I got my priorities in order?? Is He of great value to me?
After all The Father gave the very best heaven could give when He sent The Lord Jesus to pay for our sins.. it wasnt by the blood of an animal but His own precious Son....He has placed a great value on each one of us. Yes I am definately taking stock of my life.

Wow , A valuable lesson here for us all and I have often thought about that instance as well and thought .... no Judas was a money loving greedy man who did not want to give the money to the poor but wanted to take it and put it in his own pocket as he was the keeper of the money and he was also a robber and a thief .He robbed that money purse all the time . Just look at the final act of selfishness that he traded our Saviour for his benefit and in the end couldn't stand himself and hanged .

That to me is a lesson as well that all the riches and silver and gold cannot satisfy man . Only Jesus and His love can ever bring peace and happiness into our lives .

Proverbs 16:16
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!

Acts 3:6
Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

I may not have silver and gold but I have the riches of Jesus Christ and know that He has prepared a place for me that is beyond my earthly imagination.

Wow , A valuable lesson here for us all and I have often thought about that instance as well and thought .... no Judas was a money loving greedy man who did not want to give the money to the poor but wanted to take it and put it in his own pocket as he was the keeper of the money and he was also a robber and a thief .He robbed that money purse all the time . Just look at the final act of selfishness that he traded our Saviour for his benefit and in the end couldn't stand himself and hanged .

That to me is a lesson as well that all the riches and silver and gold cannot satisfy man . Only Jesus and His love can ever bring peace and happiness into our lives .

Proverbs 16:16
How much better to get wisdom than gold, to choose understanding rather than silver!

Acts 3:6
Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk."

I may not have silver and gold but I have the riches of Jesus Christ and know that He has prepared a place for me that is beyond my earthly imagination.

Yes indeed nothing and no-one can satisfy our deepest need like He can...He truly is all we need. I too look forward to that city that cannot be shaken.

I have read Matt 26 many times as you all no doubt have... but in reading it once again I believe The Holy Spirit showed me something I had not seen before in this scripture.
The passage I am refering to is the one where Mary is anointing the feet of The Lord with expensive perfume. Those observing this had remarked that this perfume was of great worth and could have been sold and the money given to the poor. The Lord knew what was really in their hearts...and it wasnt concern for the poor!!
Having read this I immed thought.... how could they place value...in terms of money on The Lord.......what a nasty bunch of people they must have been.
Then I began to relate this to my own walk and asked myself ...what value do I place on The Lord Jesus. Do I at all times afford Him His rightful place in my heart and life? Do I sometimes spend my too much of my lesiure time (brief though it is) on doing my own thing. Now I know we all need time to winde down but I think you all will know what I mean. Have I got my priorities in order?? Is He of great value to me?
After all The Father gave the very best heaven could give when He sent The Lord Jesus to pay for our sins.. it wasnt by the blood of an animal but His own precious Son....He has placed a great value on each one of us. Yes I am definately taking stock of my life.

Hi from across the Tasman, HeisalliIneed! Great post! Where you said:

"...what value do I place on The Lord Jesus. Do I at all times afford Him His rightful place in my heart and life? Do I sometimes spend my too much of my lesiure time (brief though it is) on doing my own thing. Now I know we all need time to winde down but I think you all will know what I mean. Have I got my priorities in order?? Is He of great value to me?"

Indeed!! And it has long seemed to me that our problem is because of our societies we live in, which are mostly self-centered, and living for their own pleasure, money spent on material 'things', on comfort and ease, and the like. And we grew up in these societies, taking on their values and more.

Becoming a Christian does not take the worldliness out of us. We have to give up the world, to exclude it and its selfish values more and more from our lives, by replacing it with love of Jesus and serving Him, and loving others, and caring for those in serious need (the latter being something the church, in general, doesn't seem to do very well, or even do at all.)

That oh-so-practical New Testament writer, James, put this not just succinctly so much as... Bam! Bam!... TAKE NOTE!!!

James Ch 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.

Which of us here can say, "I am now not living like the world does." If you can, please share with us how you now live, and what you did to achieve this (because this is clearly a major problem for Western Christians).

Thankyou!

- BM

Which of us here can say, "I am now not living like the world does." If you can, please share with us how you now live, and what you did to achieve this (because this is clearly a major problem for Western Christians).

Yes , Bondman.../. That is a major problem in the Western World . But that is also why we as Christians need to be good stewards of monitary things and not get caught up in all the media hyp and propaganda that we need this and we need that .

I think I can say that I am in the world but not of the world . I can also say that my God supplies all my needs according to His riches in glory and can attest to the fact , to where I am now is all because of His provision and His faithfulness . If I had not been faithful in the smal things , He would not have given me bigger things and I really believe this to be true. I can prove it in my own life and don't need any one to tell me that I serve a big God .

Quite right Bondman but we are without excuse because The Lord tells us 1st Cor12:9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee.....
He has also equipped us with that "spiritual armour"......we want for nothing!! The rest is up to us.

Back