What was the First Light in Genesis 1;3 up to the 4th Day.

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
When God started His creations, he made the Light.

Gen,1;3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

This sounds good, and on first inspection, one would assume its the light from the sun.

But how are we to understand the light in verse 14?

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times,and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

What happened? He created light on the first day, then on the 4th created the sun and moon and stars.

Could our ancestors have experienced a Nova?
or what?

Gen,1;3 And God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. 4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness. 5 God called the light “day,” and the darkness he called “night.” And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day.

This sounds good, and on first inspection, one would assume its the light from the sun.

14 And God said, “Let there be lights in the vault of the sky to separate the day from the night, and let them serve as signs to mark sacred times,and days and years, 15 and let them be lights in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth.” And it was so. 16 God made two great lights—the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night.He also made the stars. 17 God set them in the vault of the sky to give light on the earth, 18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good. 19 And there was evening, and there was morning—the fourth day.

What happened? He created light on the first day, then on the 4th created the sun and moon and stars.

or what?
This is going to sound really theological, but I do not know how else to say it.

When we get to Genesis 1:4 we read..........
"And God saw the light, that it was good and God divided the light from the darkness".

Then God said, in verse #14.........
'Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night'".

It seems to me that on this day the atmosphere is further cleared so that from the observation point of the earth's surface, the sun, moon and stars are now clearly distinguishable in the sky.

Note....."Let there be" is not a statement of the initial creation, but a statement of appearance. This passage tells us that these celestial objects were allowed to be visible so that they could serve people as markers of signs, seasons, days and years.

Then Verse 16 then specifies that .....
"God made two great lights."

The Hebrew verb for "made" here (asah) is translated as "had made," meaning a previous action.
Since the earth was already in existence prior to the first creation day, there is no reason to conclude that the celestial bodies were not also already in existence—since verse 1 states that in the beginning, God created both the heavens and the earth. However, the word asah also has the broader meaning of "set" or "appoint." This translation would not necessitate a previous action, for it appears that God set the sky in order on the fourth day and appointed the time keeping role already mentioned.

Now.....this also falls within the ancient Hebrew tradition of stating a something.....then later amplifying that statement!

Note....."Let there be" is not a statement of the initial creation, but a statement of appearance. This passage tells us that these celestial objects were allowed to be visible so that they could serve people as markers of signs, seasons, days and years.
interesting:

Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Genesis 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:

interesting:

Genesis 1:3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Genesis 1:6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
Genesis 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
Actually God said "Let there be" throughout all of creation, except for man, which HE made by hand.

Actually God said "Let there be" throughout all of creation, except for man, which HE made by hand.
Are you sure?...

Genesis 1:9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
Genesis 1:11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
Genesis 1:24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.

I am sure this will not be a popular understanding, but...

I keep marveling at the way the first day as described in Genesis parallels the Big Bang (BB) from scientific cosmology.

But are descriptions of ex nihilio (out of nothing creation) some sciences attempt to go back farther (e.g. some formulations of brane theory) but these attempts do not seem to advance understanding other than avoid admitting to a beginning.

Genesis states that everything was formless. BB says that at the first stages normal matter could not exist and was in a super dense unorganizred state.

Genesis states that it was dark. BB indicates that In the primordial soup, photons (and thus light could not exist).

BB indicates that as things expanded and cooled, complex forms (including photons) began to be formed but were immediately re-exhorbed. This allowed cration to be filled with photons before they could exhibit their speed and distance (and be what we call light).

The Bible says that at the command of God ("Let there be light") there was light. It appears to be a quite sudden event. BB says that after some expansion and cooling, the universe exhibited an abrubt change in properties and became largely transparent to the photons that had been created throughout the early universe and the light shone.

So, as the universe is a manifestation of the nature of God, the first light is direct indication that the universe itself is not going on its own as a huge chain reaction, but continues to be under direct control by God.

Then God said, “Let there be light”; and there was light.
— Genesis 1:3

My personal take. God‘s word is light (imparting understanding).
This is God’s first recorded words spoken into the void of darkness (v.2).
Lol absolutely!
I realised this when I asked myself how we are to read the book of Genesis after my initial post.

Last edited:
I am sure this will not be a popular understanding, but...

I keep marveling at the way the first day as described in Genesis parallels the Big Bang (BB) from scientific cosmology.

But are descriptions of ex nihilio (out of nothing creation) some sciences attempt to go back farther (e.g. some formulations of brane theory) but these attempts do not seem to advance understanding other than avoid admitting to a beginning.

Genesis states that everything was formless. BB says that at the first stages normal matter could not exist and was in a super dense unorganizred state.

Genesis states that it was dark. BB indicates that In the primordial soup, photons (and thus light could not exist).

BB indicates that as things expanded and cooled, complex forms (including photons) began to be formed but were immediately re-exhorbed. This allowed cration to be filled with photons before they could exhibit their speed and distance (and be what we call light).

The Bible says that at the command of God ("Let there be light") there was light. It appears to be a quite sudden event. BB says that after some expansion and cooling, the universe exhibited an abrubt change in properties and became largely transparent to the photons that had been created throughout the early universe and the light shone.

So, as the universe is a manifestation of the nature of God, the first light is direct indication that the universe itself is not going on its own as a huge chain reaction, but continues to be under direct control by God.
My guilty pleasure is also looking at how the universe came about scientifically from the garden of Eden standpoint.
If i was there to witness events back then, I would have assumed a nova.
But none of us was there until the 6th day anyway so I’m going to just believe it because it sounds cool enough.

or what?
Why would you assume its the sun?
Our sun is just one of many stars in the universe.

Are you being objective?
God created the sun, but doesn't mean there aren't any other lights or stars.

Not sure what the problem is.

Are you being objective?
God created the sun, but doesn't mean there aren't any other lights or stars.

Not sure what the problem is. what I mean is, that the first light in the bible to be mentioned' let there be `light' that was the first day, then 4 days later he created the sun moon and stars..
yes, I was being objective.
and I was wondering what the first light was and cross note post made sense to me as proof when I was wondering how to read genesis.

hope that made sense.

Last edited:
Back