What Will We Know?

1 Cor.13:12 "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." Many take this verse to mean we will have all knowledge when we get to heaven. I think it is limited to full knowledge about ourselves. A full understanding and acceptance of ourselves. What do you think?

I think it goes beyond understanding of self, however. I believe it applies to our knowledge of God and our relationship to Him. That is, we won't be marrying and giving in marriage but will be in the full reality of what marriage was designed to represent. We will never again have the feeling that our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling or wonder if that impression in our hearts is really the voice of God, but we will be face to face with Him and see and hear Him clearly. I don't expect we'll know everything about everything, but will probably come to understand many things that we struggle with on Earth like, if God is ____, why does He ____? If God did ___, why does He allow ___?

1 Cor.13:12 "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." Many take this verse to mean we will have all knowledge when we get to heaven. I think it is limited to full knowledge about ourselves. A full understanding and acceptance of ourselves. What do you think?

"Will I know my loved ones in heaven"?

YOU SURELY WILL!!!

You have never seen me. You may have seen what you thought was me but all you saw was a body, hands, head etc. You really didn't see ME. But when we get to heaven, face to face.........then we will be seen CLEARLY and we will be known!

Personally I do believe we will know the answers to all things and our knowledge will be unlimited.

In 1 Corth. 2:16 Paul quotes Isa. 40:13 and then makes a statement concerning all believers: “We have the mind of Christ.” Having the mind of Christ means sharing the plan, purpose, and perspective of Christ, and it is something that all believers possess. Now since that is Biblically true, then how much more will we be when we receice glorified bodies at the Rapture just like Christ???

Having the mind of Christ means we understand God’s plan in the world—to bring glory to Himself, restore creation to its original splendor, and provide salvation for sinners. It means we identify with Christ’s purpose “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10).

In context the verse is actually referring to the gift of prophecy, and all things will be made absolutely clear when Christ returns - all prophecy will be fulfilled upon His return.

Paul knows a lot, his expertise with the OT is helpful in explaining grace shown to us….. and we are thankful for him that good news reached us…..

I think, that verse is mentioned just in passing while he discussing the most excellent of all….

That is: he humbly admitted he knows little, when he knows a lot, to promote what is more important than bible knowledge or having more faith than others.

We may have more wisdom, more faith, more knowledgeable than others…
…. but if we do not exert charity… love during discussion…
….it simply a noise…or at worst…. nothing….

I think it goes beyond understanding of self, however. I believe it applies to our knowledge of God and our relationship to Him. That is, we won't be marrying and giving in marriage but will be in the full reality of what marriage was designed to represent. We will never again have the feeling that our prayers are bouncing off the ceiling or wonder if that impression in our hearts is really the voice of God, but we will be face to face with Him and see and hear Him clearly. I don't expect we'll know everything about everything, but will probably come to understand many things that we struggle with on Earth like, if God is ____, why does He ____? If God did ___, why does He allow ___?

I agree, completely. To restate my thoughts more clearly, I don't think it means we will possess all knowledge, like God - ummmm...He IS all knowledge, but we will be given fullness of knowledge in accordance with ourselves (both knowledge that is directly and indirectly related to ourselves) and Him.

I did not go further into my comment, but according to Strong's and other resources the word used for "know" is ginōskō , and the word used for the subsequent "know and known" is epignōsomai.

1 Cor. 13:12 "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

"...I know in part..."
ginōskō (ghin-oce'-ko) is a verb. [URL='http://interlinearbible.org/abbrev.htm']V-PIA-1S which stands for Verb, Present tense, Indicative mood, Accusative case, 1st person, Singular number (person)[/URL]
Short Definition: I come to know, learn, realize
Definition: I am taking in knowledge, come to know, learn; and/or: I ascertained, realized.
Even more: allow, be aware of, perceive. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to "know" (absolutely) in a great variety of applications and with many implications (as follow, with others not thus clearly expressed) -- allow, be aware (of), feel, (have) know(-ledge), perceived, be resolved, can speak, be sure, understand.

"...I shall know fully..."
epignōsomai (ep-ig-in-oce'-ko) is also a verb. V-FIM-1S which stands for Verb, Future tense, Indicative mood, Middle, 1st person, Singular number (person)
Short Definition: I come to know, discern, recognize
Definition: I come to know by directing my attention to him or it, I perceive, discern, recognize; and/or: I found out.
Even more: acknowledge, perceive.
From epi and ginosko; to know upon some mark, i.e. Recognize; by implication, to become fully acquainted with, to acknowledge -- (ac-, have, take)know(-ledge, well), perceive.
see GREEK epi
see GREEK ginosko

"...I am fully known."
epignōsomai (ep-ig-in-oce'-ko) is also a verb. V-AIP-1S which stands for Verb, Aorist tense, Indicative mood, Passive, 1st person, Singular number (person)
Definition: I come to know by directing my attention to him or it, I perceive, discern, recognize; and/or: I found out.
From epi and ginosko; to know upon some mark, i.e. Recognize; by implication, to become fully acquainted with, to acknowledge -- (ac-, have, take)know(-ledge, well), perceive.
see GREEK epi
see GREEK ginosko

BTW...I had to look up "Aorist tense"!!
From the online dictionary.net: Aorist is a noun which is a verb tense, as in Classical Greek, expressing action, esp. in the past, without further implication as to completion, duration, or repetition; but leaves it, in other respects, wholly indeterminate.

I agree, completely. To restate my thoughts more clearly, I don't think it means we will possess all knowledge, like God - ummmm...He IS all knowledge, but we will be given fullness of knowledge in accordance with ourselves (both knowledge that is directly and indirectly related to ourselves) and Him.

I did not go further into my comment, but according to Strong's and other resources the word used for "know" is ginōskō , and the word used for the subsequent "know and known" is epignōsomai.

1 Cor. 13:12 "For now we see only a reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."

"...I know in part..."
ginōskō (ghin-oce'-ko) is a verb.V-PIA-1S which stands for Verb, Present tense, Indicative mood, Accusative case, 1st person, Singular number (person)
Short Definition: I come to know, learn, realize
Definition: I am taking in knowledge, come to know, learn; and/or: I ascertained, realized.
Even more: allow, be aware of, perceive. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to "know" (absolutely) in a great variety of applications and with many implications (as follow, with others not thus clearly expressed) -- allow, be aware (of), feel, (have) know(-ledge), perceived, be resolved, can speak, be sure, understand.

"...I shall know fully..."
epignōsomai (ep-ig-in-oce'-ko) is also a verb. V-FIM-1S which stands for Verb, Future tense, Indicative mood, Middle, 1st person, Singular number (person)
see GREEK epi
see GREEK ginosko

"...I am fully known."
epignōsomai (ep-ig-in-oce'-ko) is also a verb. V-AIP-1S which stands for Verb, Aorist tense, Indicative mood, Passive, 1st person, Singular number (person)
see GREEK epi
see GREEK ginosko

BTW...I had to look up "Aorist tense"!!
From the online dictionary.net: Aorist is a noun which is a verb tense, as in Classical Greek, expressing action, esp. in the past, without further implication as to completion, duration, or repetition; but leaves it, in other respects, wholly indeterminate.

I'd like to join this conversation. I'm a professor of New Testament Greek. There are a number of words in the original language of the NT that are rendered "know." They each have a distinction, sometimes subtle and at other times conspicuous. GINOSKO is the basic word that simply means to access knowledge. It can have the meaning of recognizing, using and accepting information. When combined with the preposition PRO it is often rendered "TO FOREKNOW" with a temporal element. Someone knew something "before." Note that meaning in passages such as: Acts 2:23; 26:5; Romans 8:29; 11:2; I Peter 1:20. When combined with the preoposition EPI it has an intensified meaning to know details as in: Ro. 1:28; 3:20; 10:2; Eph. 1:17; 4:13, etc.

There is another word, EIDON meaning to know by observation, as opposed to experience. You would use this word to express the idea that you knew the stove was hot because you saw the warning sign. You would use the former word if you knew the stove was hot because you touched it and got burned. The wisemen knew of Christ because "they saw" the star (Mt. 2:2). Notice this meaning in other passages using this word: Mt. 3:7; 13:14; 24:36; Jn. 1:26; 4:10, etc.

The Aroist tense doesn't have as much temporal element to it as our English past tense. It has the idea of an event as opposed to a process. You would use the aroist tense if you "turned the lights on." It was a one time event at a specific point in history. There are six basic tenses in Greek whereas we only three in English. In the Indicative Mood of Greek, the tenses seem to express temporal elements, but in the other moods, they do not.

Very interesting, Jack. Thank you for the exposition. Personally I love digging deep into His Word and I love finding the "hidden" nuggets in His Word! He is so good to us!! I love to sing praise and worship Him with songs...how much more fulfilling and elated I will be to be in His Presence WITH the full knowledge of ALL of this life of mine and how HE was my ALL in All...oh for a thousand-million-trillion tongues to sing my great Redeemer's praise!!!!

"Will I know my loved ones in heaven"?

YOU SURELY WILL!!!

You have never seen me. You may have seen what you thought was me but all you saw was a body, hands, head etc. You really didn't see ME. But when we get to heaven, face to face.........then we will be seen CLEARLY and we will be known!

Personally I do believe we will know the answers to all things and our knowledge will be unlimited.

In 1 Corth. 2:16 Paul quotes Isa. 40:13 and then makes a statement concerning all believers: “We have the mind of Christ.” Having the mind of Christ means sharing the plan, purpose, and perspective of Christ, and it is something that all believers possess. Now since that is Biblically true, then how much more will we be when we receice glorified bodies at the Rapture just like Christ???

Having the mind of Christ means we understand God’s plan in the world—to bring glory to Himself, restore creation to its original splendor, and provide salvation for sinners. It means we identify with Christ’s purpose “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10).
I have to respectfully disagree with the "we will know the answers to all things" statement simply because I think the first part of the verse adds some context. In a mirror speaks of what we see not what others see and face to face speaks of face to face with Jesus not face to face with others. The picture word seems limited to some degree, meaning, it doesn't say we will see THROUGH a clear glass that was once muddy. See what I'm getting at?

It certainly seems that we will know our loved ones in heaven. Consider the episode of the Transfiguration. Peter, James, and John immediately knew that the Lord Jesus was holding a conversation with Moses and Elijah. How did they know that? This was long before pictures, newspapers, and cell-phones. No one at that time knew what those two personages looked like. The same thing can be said for Luke 16 when the rich man saw Lazaruse in the bosom of Abraham. How did he recognized the patriarch? It seems that in the afternoon, whether it be heaven or hell, we are endued with the ability to recognize everyone. Imagine what that will be like to recognize Paul and have a conversation with him, or see a relative and discuss the good old days.

Yes, I can't wait! I do agree with you and Major that we will recognize and know who others are, I just don't think we will know everything about them...otherwise if we knew everything what stories would we be listening to that we didn't already know? I get excited just thinking about it! :D

I have to respectfully disagree with the "we will know the answers to all things" statement simply because I think the first part of the verse adds some context. In a mirror speaks of what we see not what others see and face to face speaks of face to face with Jesus not face to face with others. The picture word seems limited to some degree, meaning, it doesn't say we will see THROUGH a clear glass that was once muddy. See what I'm getting at?

Yes i see. I just don't agree.

Again, when we read 1 Cort. 2:16 and we have the mind of Christ we will know the answer!

Yes i see. I just don't agree.

Again, when we read 1 Cort. 2:16 and we have the mind of Christ we will know the answer!

That's ok that you don't agree. It's not an "essential" anyways so we're good!! :D

In looking at the Greek word for "mind" in verse 16(b), I can see how this verse could be interpreted the way you state: mind of Christ=knowledge that He possesses. But in the context of the verses just above (1 Cor. 2:1-15)I am still swayed that the word "mind" as used here speaks of wisdom from the Spirit given for today (present tense).
Perhaps Prof. Jack will add some clarification on the word "mind" as meant in the original texts?
Blessings to you Major!!!

I can add some clarification, but I don't think it will help this particular situation. Paul is discussing the difference between the ability of the unbeliever and the believer in understanding passages of the Old Testament. He is making the point that the Christian is better equipped for that task, and to prove it, he says that the unbeliever only has, "...words taught by human wisdom," while Christians have been, "...taught by the Spirit." It is the source of the teaching that is the important point here. The Natural man, says Paul (the unbeliever) does not accept the things of God and he can not understand them (2:14). But the spiritual man has the ability (which doesn't mean he's always correct) to under the text because he has been taught by the Spirit, which Paul equates with "the mind of Christ." It's like the difference between a man without a shovel and a man with a shovel. Between the two of them, who can dig the better hole? Neither of them will do it perfectly, but the one better equipped with do it much better in a shorter period of time.
The word for mind here is NOUS, and there are several words used for mind, this one has the naunce of comprehension or understanding and "understanding" is its more frequent rendering in the KJV. There are two verbs in the passage. The first is aroist. "For who has known [at one point in time] the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct Him? But we have [present tense--we are in the process of possessing] the mind of Christ."

I can add some clarification, but I don't think it will help this particular situation. Paul is discussing the difference between the ability of the unbeliever and the believer in understanding passages of the Old Testament. He is making the point that the Christian is better equipped for that task, and to prove it, he says that the unbeliever only has, "...words taught by human wisdom," while Christians have been, "...taught by the Spirit." It is the source of the teaching that is the important point here. The Natural man, says Paul (the unbeliever) does not accept the things of God and he can not understand them (2:14). But the spiritual man has the ability (which doesn't mean he's always correct) to under the text because he has been taught by the Spirit, which Paul equates with "the mind of Christ." It's like the difference between a man without a shovel and a man with a shovel. Between the two of them, who can dig the better hole? Neither of them will do it perfectly, but the one better equipped with do it much better in a shorter period of time.
The word for mind here is NOUS, and there are several words used for mind, this one has the naunce of comprehension or understanding and "understanding" is its more frequent rendering in the KJV. There are two verbs in the passage. The first is aroist. "For who has known [at one point in time] the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct Him? But we have [present tense--we are in the process of possessing] the mind of Christ."

Thank you, Jack! I really do appreciate your education and level of understanding. I believe it adds clarity in the original sense, because words can have so many connotations.

My only point in asking you to clarify that word "mind" as used in that verse and in the context of the whole counsel of the Word, was to understand what having the "mind of Christ" means. From your explanation, I take it to mean that it does not mean we will have the omniscience of Christ, but rather, as you said, Major, in your post #4: "In 1 Corth. 2:16 Paul quotes Isa. 40:13 and then makes a statement concerning all believers: “We have the mind of Christ.” Having the mind of Christ means sharing the plan, purpose, and perspective of Christ, and it is something that all believers possess. Now since that is Biblically true, then how much more will we be when we receice glorified bodies at the Rapture just like Christ???.... [sentence deleted by CBG] ....Having the mind of Christ means we understand God’s plan in the world—to bring glory to Himself, restore creation to its original splendor, and provide salvation for sinners. It means we identify with Christ’s purpose “to seek and to save what was lost” (Luke 19:10)." While it is still [to]day...Jn. 9:4

I believe, the Bible tells us when we have received our glorified bodies at the Rapture, we will have understanding and knowledge - to what degree, that is up to God - but IMHO, we will not have omniscience.

May He bless and keep us as we all endeavor to be crafted into the image of Christ!

Back