WHATEVER HAPPENED TO SIN?

“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and no not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the Blood of Jesus Christ, His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His Word is not in us.” 1 John 1:5-10

Whatever Became of Sin?
In 1973, psychiatrist Carl Menninger, wrote a landmark book Whatever Became of Sin? He noted that even the word sin seems to have disappeared out of common vocabulary. He asked: “Why? Doesn’t anyone sin anymore? Doesn’t anyone believe in sin?

God Hates Sin
The Bible makes clear that God hates sin. “These six things the Lord hates. Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.” Proverbs 6:16-19

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
The Great Evangelical Awakening was sparked by Jonathan Edwards’ sermon: “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.” For the most of church history. preachers have thundered from the pulpits against the seven deadly sins of lust, gluttony, greed, laziness, anger, envy and pride. Today, few people would be able to even identify the seven deadly sins.

Modern Therapeutic Sermons
Today it may be more likely that one might hear a sermon on “God in the Hands of Angry Sinners”, than “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God!” The old Doctrines of Sin, Redemption and Repentance are out of fashion and the modern therapeutic language of self-esteem, self-actualization and self-love are in.

Can God Do For Me?
The emphasis in the average church is no longer: What Does God Require of Me? Today it is more common to see the emphasis on What Can God Do For Me?

Redefining Sin
The word ‘sin’ is rarely used in any serious context today. For many, the very concept of sin has become a topic for jokes. Vocabulary and ethics have changed dramatically.
Drunkenness is now described as “chemical dependency.”
Gossip is frequently referred to as “sharing.”
Pride has become “a superiority complex”, or “an inflated ego.”
Corporate executives no longer steal, they commit “fraud.”
People are no longer said to be living in sin, but “living together.”
Fornication has become “free love.”
They are no longer adulterers; they are having an “affair.”
Perverts are described as preferring “an alternative lifestyle.”

The Bible declares: “Fools mock at sin.” Proverbs 14:9 and “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” Proverbs 14:34

Newspeak
What God calls sin, man now often call “sickness”. What the Bible describes as evil, has now been redefined as “error”. What God calls an abomination, men today are more likely to call “an alternative lifestyle!”

“Against Me, Myself and I, Have I Offended”Sins against God are now seen as “moral failures, or “mistakes” that keep us from realising our own individual potential and expectations.”

The Goodness of Man
The historic Christian doctrines of original sin and actual sin which look at our nature, who we are and our actions, what we do, have been replaced with the concept of the goodness of man and “we are victims of circumstances.”

“It’s Not My Fault!”
One of the most frustrating aspects of undertaking evangelism, these days, is that most people seem to have no idea of sin. They do know how to sin well enough, but they have no idea of what actually constitutes sin. The very concept of personal responsibility is even in question.

Revolution
The two World Wars left many questioning the worth of traditional values. The communist revolutions rejected private ownership of property. The sexual revolution rejected the Biblical principle of marriage itself.

What is Sin?
The Bible defines sin as “lawlessness” (1 John 3:4).

Violating God’s Commandments
Every one of God’s Ten Commandments are under relentless and systematic attack in the secular humanist media. Much of Hollywood, most of the public universities and much of the news media attack our Creator God, exalt idolatry, promote political idols, rock idols, film idols and even have T.V. programmes called Idols. Blasphemy is promoted as entertainment. Sabbath desecration is considered an essential part of any week. The undermining of the authority of parents is incessant. The sanctity of life is undermined by the promotion of abortion and euthanasia. A culture of death is celebrated in many blood-splattered horror, ‘slasher’ films. The sanctity of love and marriage is undermined on every side. The sanctity of private property is eroded and undermined. There is a relentless war against truth itself, and the sanctity of conscience is undermined at every turn. With every one of the Ten Commandments under such ceaseless attack, it is no wonder that the very concept of sin is being questioned.

Celebrating Sin
Contemporary culture is celebrating what was once condemned. Pride is now lifted up as “self-esteem.” Envy is the engine of tabloid culture. Lust is an advertising strategy. Anger is the acceptable expression of those who have been aggrieved.

Mass Marketing Selfishness
Many pastors feel that they are competing in a “buyers market” and that they cannot afford to alienate potential parishioners. At church conferences organised by seeker-friendly churches, pastors are warned that people do not want to hear that they should cultivate humility, self-discipline and virtue. Or that they need to listen to their conscience and repent of their sins. As a result, a religious culture is promoted that defines God in purely selfish terms. Churches are no longer to be focused on God and what He requires, but on man and what will increase his self-esteem. People will embrace any religious faith, just so long as it makes no real moral demands. Churches are encouraged to accept people for exactly who they are, without making any moral demands on them. Churches must console, but not judge. The style of praise and worship now seems to be more to please man, rather than to please God with meaningless, mindless repetition of choruses that focus on our feelings rather, than His power and glory. The pleasure of worship has been replaced with the worship of pleasure.

Tickling Ears with What They Are Itching to Hear
The Apostle Paul warned that such a time would come: “For the time will come when they will not endure sound Doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

UnBiblical Testimonies
I recently heard a number of testimonies where individuals claimed that God spoke to them and told them: “I love you just the way you are. You don’t need to change a thing!” That is clearly not the God of the Bible. Friends don’t let friends drive drunk. It is not loving to encourage people to continue on a self-destructive path.

Self Deception
Frequently we see the truth that we are our own worst enemies. It is self-deception to assume that the Creator of the universe, the Eternal Judge, our Holy God, has no higher standards than we have, and does not call us to Repent, to renew our minds, and to be transformed in every part of our attitudes and actions.

Idolatry and Blasphemy
Worse than self deception it is actually idolatrous and blasphemous. People who claim that God spoke to them and told them they don’t need to change, are guilty of having created a false God, an idol. Such a God does not exist. It is blasphemous to claim that God has spoken to us when we are plainly listening either to our own feelings, or to a world in rebellion to God and then presenting that culture as “God spoke to me”!

“It’s All About Me!”
Many churches seem to have become therapeutic, pragmatic and utilitarian, even narcissistic. “It’s all about me!” and the Gospel has been left out. In the early 1980’s there was a prominent news report in the Sunday Times concerning the Miss South Africa of that time. She said that she was a “born-again Christian” and she liked her church because “they don’t teach any Doctrine” and they did not condemn her for living with her boyfriend!

Mercy
“He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.” Proverbs 28:13

God’s Law Remains in Force
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till Heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the Law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these Commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, you will, by no means, enter the Kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 5:17-20

“I’m A Good Person!”
The Bible emphasises the depravity of man. We are sinful and personally responsible for our actions and attitudes. However, modern, antinomian and egalitarian society emphasises the goodness of man. Frequently when one is witnessing on the streets one hears: “I’m a good person!”, yet when you question them closer, the same people who are adamant that they are “very good people” admit to lying, stealing, blasphemy, lust and even hatred in their hearts!

Desensitised To Sin
To a large extent, this can be attributed to the entertainment industry which has popularised and justified lust, pride and greed in so many attractive heroes and heroines that many have come to accept what they would have previously condemned.

Feel Good Religion
Compounding the problem, most religious messages pass over the uncomfortable realities of sin and focus on “feel good” themes. As a result, conviction of sin is rare. Religious leaders, who excuse sin, deny its existence and tickle the ears of their hearers by telling them what they want to hear, instead of what the Bible proclaims, are actually doing their people a grave disservice.

The Heart of the Gospel
The holiness of God, the Law of God, the sinfulness of man, the sacrifice of Christ and the need for Repentance and Faith are central to the Gospel.

Rejecting Reality
A sick man cannot prove that he has no fever by breaking the thermometer! Similarly, rejecting the Law of God and ignoring so much of what the Bible says on the subject of sin will not solve the problem. A Biblical picture of sin is leprosy. Leprosy destroys the nervous system and disfigures the body. It is ugly and loathsome. The Bible is clear “The wages of sin is death…” Romans 6:23

Separated From God
“Behold the Lord’s hand is not shortened that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue has muttered perversity.” Isaiah 59:1-3

Sin Withers the Soul
Christ taught us that He is the vine and we are the branches. He that abides in Christ will bring forth much fruit. But those who do not abide in Him will wither, dry up and die, and be cast into the fire (John 15:5-6).

Sin Hardens the Heart
“Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness, where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, … therefore I was angry with that generation…” Hebrews 3:7-10

Sin Darkens the Mind
“Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” Romans 1:21

Sin is Serious
If sin is not serious, then why did Jesus Christ have to come to this earth and suffer such a horrendous death on the Cross of Calvary? The Doctrine of sin may not be a popular message, but it is vitally important. It is worth noticing that the middle letter of sin is “I”. The middle letter of lie is also “I”, as is the middle letter of pride. Selfishness is at the heart of our problem. We are our own worst enemy.

Missing the Mark
The Bible defines sin as missing the mark. Violating the Law of God. Augustine defined sin as every work, word or wish contrary to the Law of God. Sin is not only the bad things we do, but the good things we fail to do. “Therefore, to Him who knows to do good and does not do it, to Him it is sin.” James 4:17

Pollution
The environmental destruction caused by three months of crude oil gushing out of the depths of the sea shocked and horrified millions worldwide. This is a picture of the disruption, degradation, and destruction caused by sin gushing out from the hearts of rebellious men and women. “Out of the heart the mouth speaks.” It’s not what you say you are it’s what you say that reveals what you are. What do you talk about? What do you text about? The reality of sin should cause us to turn to God and kneel at the Cross of Calvary. We dare not live in denial and tolerate sin.

A Warning
Over a century ago General William Booth, of the Salvation Army, warned that a time may come when churches will preach a Saviour without a Cross, Salvation without Repentance, Heaven without Hell and Christianity without Holiness. Plainly that time has come.

Repent
On the Day of Pentecost, the Apostle Peter proclaimed: “Repent, and let every one of you be baptised in the Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38

A Call to Action
The Ten Commandments are not only a list of prohibitions. Each of the Ten Commandments includes an implicit call to action: To worship God alone. To resist idolatry. To speak respectfully of God and His Word. To work six days and to rest on the Lord’s Day. To honour our father and our mother. To respect life. To protect the sanctity of marriage. To respect private ownership of property. To be people of integrity. To maintain a clear conscience before God and man. Praying the Lord’s Prayer demands action: “Your Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven…” Matthew 6:10. Jesus taught: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the Will of My father in Heaven.” Matthew 7:21

Respect God, People and Property
The Ten Commandment teaches us to respect God, respect people and respect property. We are commanded to: “Be doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” James 1:22

Judgement Awaits
God will judge each one of us. He will punish the wicked and He will reward the faithful. An eternal hell awaits the unrepentant. A glorious Heaven is promised to all who truly repent of their sins, trust Christ alone for Salvation and follow the Word of God in obedience.

“Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” Luke 11:28

Change

The heart of the Gospel is a changed life in Christ. But each one of us must make a choice. God will change your life and your eternal destiny. You must choose to trust and obey Christ. Our Lord Jesus Christ began His public ministry with these words: “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17. Our Lord’s last recorded words to the churches in Asia was to “Repent” (Revelation 2 and 3).

The Lamb of God
The first time Jesus Christ came to this earth as a Saviour, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. All who turn in Repentance away from sin and trust in Christ, following Him in obedience are saved.

The Lion of Judah
But our Lord Jesus Christ will come again… this time as a Judge: The lion of the Tribe of Judah, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. All who have not repented and obeyed His Law will be condemned and eternally punished in hell. Either you surrender to Christ as your Saviour now, or you will face Him as your Judge. Is Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour?

“This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is Light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and no not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the Blood of Jesus Christ, His Son cleanses us from all sin. If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar and His Word is not in us.” 1 John 1:5-10

Whatever Became of Sin?
In 1973, psychiatrist Carl Menninger, wrote a landmark book Whatever Became of Sin? He noted that even the word sin seems to have disappeared out of common vocabulary. He asked: “Why? Doesn’t anyone sin anymore? Doesn’t anyone believe in sin?

God Hates Sin
The Bible makes clear that God hates sin. “These six things the Lord hates. Yes, seven are an abomination to Him: A proud look, a lying tongue, hands that shed innocent blood, a heart that devises wicked plans, feet that are swift in running to evil, a false witness who speaks lies, and one who sows discord among brethren.” Proverbs 6:16-19

Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God
The Great Evangelical Awakening was sparked by Jonathan Edwards’ sermon: “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God.” For the most of church history. preachers have thundered from the pulpits against the seven deadly sins of lust, gluttony, greed, laziness, anger, envy and pride. Today, few people would be able to even identify the seven deadly sins.

Modern Therapeutic Sermons
Today it may be more likely that one might hear a sermon on “God in the Hands of Angry Sinners”, than “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God!” The old Doctrines of Sin, Redemption and Repentance are out of fashion and the modern therapeutic language of self-esteem, self-actualization and self-love are in.

Can God Do For Me?
The emphasis in the average church is no longer: What Does God Require of Me? Today it is more common to see the emphasis on What Can God Do For Me?

Redefining Sin
The word ‘sin’ is rarely used in any serious context today. For many, the very concept of sin has become a topic for jokes. Vocabulary and ethics have changed dramatically.
Drunkenness is now described as “chemical dependency.”
Gossip is frequently referred to as “sharing.”
Pride has become “a superiority complex”, or “an inflated ego.”
Corporate executives no longer steal, they commit “fraud.”
People are no longer said to be living in sin, but “living together.”
Fornication has become “free love.”
They are no longer adulterers; they are having an “affair.”
Perverts are described as preferring “an alternative lifestyle.”

The Bible declares: “Fools mock at sin.” Proverbs 14:9 and “Righteousness exalts a nation, but sin is a reproach to any people.” Proverbs 14:34

Newspeak
What God calls sin, man now often call “sickness”. What the Bible describes as evil, has now been redefined as “error”. What God calls an abomination, men today are more likely to call “an alternative lifestyle!”

“Against Me, Myself and I, Have I Offended”Sins against God are now seen as “moral failures, or “mistakes” that keep us from realising our own individual potential and expectations.”

The Goodness of Man
The historic Christian doctrines of original sin and actual sin which look at our nature, who we are and our actions, what we do, have been replaced with the concept of the goodness of man and “we are victims of circumstances.”

“It’s Not My Fault!”
One of the most frustrating aspects of undertaking evangelism, these days, is that most people seem to have no idea of sin. They do know how to sin well enough, but they have no idea of what actually constitutes sin. The very concept of personal responsibility is even in question.

Revolution
The two World Wars left many questioning the worth of traditional values. The communist revolutions rejected private ownership of property. The sexual revolution rejected the Biblical principle of marriage itself.

What is Sin?
The Bible defines sin as “lawlessness” (1 John 3:4).

Violating God’s Commandments
Every one of God’s Ten Commandments are under relentless and systematic attack in the secular humanist media. Much of Hollywood, most of the public universities and much of the news media attack our Creator God, exalt idolatry, promote political idols, rock idols, film idols and even have T.V. programmes called Idols. Blasphemy is promoted as entertainment. Sabbath desecration is considered an essential part of any week. The undermining of the authority of parents is incessant. The sanctity of life is undermined by the promotion of abortion and euthanasia. A culture of death is celebrated in many blood-splattered horror, ‘slasher’ films. The sanctity of love and marriage is undermined on every side. The sanctity of private property is eroded and undermined. There is a relentless war against truth itself, and the sanctity of conscience is undermined at every turn. With every one of the Ten Commandments under such ceaseless attack, it is no wonder that the very concept of sin is being questioned.

Celebrating Sin
Contemporary culture is celebrating what was once condemned. Pride is now lifted up as “self-esteem.” Envy is the engine of tabloid culture. Lust is an advertising strategy. Anger is the acceptable expression of those who have been aggrieved.

Many pastors feel that they are competing in a “buyers market” and that they cannot afford to alienate potential parishioners. At church conferences organised by seeker-friendly churches, pastors are warned that people do not want to hear that they should cultivate humility, self-discipline and virtue. Or that they need to listen to their conscience and repent of their sins. As a result, a religious culture is promoted that defines God in purely selfish terms. Churches are no longer to be focused on God and what He requires, but on man and what will increase his self-esteem. People will embrace any religious faith, just so long as it makes no real moral demands. Churches are encouraged to accept people for exactly who they are, without making any moral demands on them. Churches must console, but not judge. The style of praise and worship now seems to be more to please man, rather than to please God with meaningless, mindless repetition of choruses that focus on our feelings rather, than His power and glory. The pleasure of worship has been replaced with the worship of pleasure.

Tickling Ears with What They Are Itching to Hear
The Apostle Paul warned that such a time would come: “For the time will come when they will not endure sound Doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.” 2 Timothy 4:3-4

UnBiblical Testimonies
I recently heard a number of testimonies where individuals claimed that God spoke to them and told them: “I love you just the way you are. You don’t need to change a thing!” That is clearly not the God of the Bible. Friends don’t let friends drive drunk. It is not loving to encourage people to continue on a self-destructive path.

Self Deception
Frequently we see the truth that we are our own worst enemies. It is self-deception to assume that the Creator of the universe, the Eternal Judge, our Holy God, has no higher standards than we have, and does not call us to Repent, to renew our minds, and to be transformed in every part of our attitudes and actions.

Idolatry and Blasphemy
Worse than self deception it is actually idolatrous and blasphemous. People who claim that God spoke to them and told them they don’t need to change, are guilty of having created a false God, an idol. Such a God does not exist. It is blasphemous to claim that God has spoken to us when we are plainly listening either to our own feelings, or to a world in rebellion to God and then presenting that culture as “God spoke to me”!

“It’s All About Me!”
Many churches seem to have become therapeutic, pragmatic and utilitarian, even narcissistic. “It’s all about me!” and the Gospel has been left out. In the early 1980’s there was a prominent news report in the Sunday Times concerning the Miss South Africa of that time. She said that she was a “born-again Christian” and she liked her church because “they don’t teach any Doctrine” and they did not condemn her for living with her boyfriend!

Mercy
“He who covers his sins will not prosper, but whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.” Proverbs 28:13

God’s Law Remains in Force
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the prophets. I did not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For assuredly, I say to you, till Heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the Law till all is fulfilled. Whoever therefore breaks one of the least of these Commandments, and teaches men so, shall be called least in the Kingdom of Heaven; but whoever does and teaches them, he shall be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven. For I say to you, that unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, you will, by no means, enter the Kingdom of Heaven.” Matthew 5:17-20

“I’m A Good Person!”
The Bible emphasises the depravity of man. We are sinful and personally responsible for our actions and attitudes. However, modern, antinomian and egalitarian society emphasises the goodness of man. Frequently when one is witnessing on the streets one hears: “I’m a good person!”, yet when you question them closer, the same people who are adamant that they are “very good people” admit to lying, stealing, blasphemy, lust and even hatred in their hearts!

Desensitised To Sin
To a large extent, this can be attributed to the entertainment industry which has popularised and justified lust, pride and greed in so many attractive heroes and heroines that many have come to accept what they would have previously condemned.

Feel Good Religion
Compounding the problem, most religious messages pass over the uncomfortable realities of sin and focus on “feel good” themes. As a result, conviction of sin is rare. Religious leaders, who excuse sin, deny its existence and tickle the ears of their hearers by telling them what they want to hear, instead of what the Bible proclaims, are actually doing their people a grave disservice.

The Heart of the Gospel
The holiness of God, the Law of God, the sinfulness of man, the sacrifice of Christ and the need for Repentance and Faith are central to the Gospel.

Rejecting Reality
A sick man cannot prove that he has no fever by breaking the thermometer! Similarly, rejecting the Law of God and ignoring so much of what the Bible says on the subject of sin will not solve the problem. A Biblical picture of sin is leprosy. Leprosy destroys the nervous system and disfigures the body. It is ugly and loathsome. The Bible is clear “The wages of sin is death…” Romans 6:23

Separated From God
“Behold the Lord’s hand is not shortened that it cannot save; nor His ear heavy, that it cannot hear. But your iniquities have separated you from your God; and your sins have hidden His face from you, so that He will not hear. For your hands are defiled with blood, and your fingers with iniquity; your lips have spoken lies, your tongue has muttered perversity.” Isaiah 59:1-3

Sin Withers the Soul
Christ taught us that He is the vine and we are the branches. He that abides in Christ will bring forth much fruit. But those who do not abide in Him will wither, dry up and die, and be cast into the fire (John 15:5-6).

Sin Hardens the Heart
“Today, if you will hear His voice, do not harden your hearts as in the rebellion, in the day of trial in the wilderness, where your fathers tested Me, tried Me, … therefore I was angry with that generation…” Hebrews 3:7-10

Sin Darkens the Mind
“Because, although they knew God, they did not glorify Him as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.” Romans 1:21

Sin is Serious
If sin is not serious, then why did Jesus Christ have to come to this earth and suffer such a horrendous death on the Cross of Calvary? The Doctrine of sin may not be a popular message, but it is vitally important. It is worth noticing that the middle letter of sin is “I”. The middle letter of lie is also “I”, as is the middle letter of pride. Selfishness is at the heart of our problem. We are our own worst enemy.

Missing the Mark
The Bible defines sin as missing the mark. Violating the Law of God. Augustine defined sin as every work, word or wish contrary to the Law of God. Sin is not only the bad things we do, but the good things we fail to do. “Therefore, to Him who knows to do good and does not do it, to Him it is sin.” James 4:17

Pollution
The environmental destruction caused by three months of crude oil gushing out of the depths of the sea shocked and horrified millions worldwide. This is a picture of the disruption, degradation, and destruction caused by sin gushing out from the hearts of rebellious men and women. “Out of the heart the mouth speaks.” It’s not what you say you are it’s what you say that reveals what you are. What do you talk about? What do you text about? The reality of sin should cause us to turn to God and kneel at the Cross of Calvary. We dare not live in denial and tolerate sin.

A Warning
Over a century ago General William Booth, of the Salvation Army, warned that a time may come when churches will preach a Saviour without a Cross, Salvation without Repentance, Heaven without Hell and Christianity without Holiness. Plainly that time has come.

Repent
On the Day of Pentecost, the Apostle Peter proclaimed: “Repent, and let every one of you be baptised in the Name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins: and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.” Acts 2:38

A Call to Action
The Ten Commandments are not only a list of prohibitions. Each of the Ten Commandments includes an implicit call to action: To worship God alone. To resist idolatry. To speak respectfully of God and His Word. To work six days and to rest on the Lord’s Day. To honour our father and our mother. To respect life. To protect the sanctity of marriage. To respect private ownership of property. To be people of integrity. To maintain a clear conscience before God and man. Praying the Lord’s Prayer demands action: “Your Will be done on earth as it is in Heaven…” Matthew 6:10. Jesus taught: “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord’, shall enter the Kingdom of Heaven, but he who does the Will of My father in Heaven.” Matthew 7:21

Respect God, People and Property
The Ten Commandment teaches us to respect God, respect people and respect property. We are commanded to: “Be doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves.” James 1:22

Judgement Awaits
God will judge each one of us. He will punish the wicked and He will reward the faithful. An eternal hell awaits the unrepentant. A glorious Heaven is promised to all who truly repent of their sins, trust Christ alone for Salvation and follow the Word of God in obedience.

“Blessed are those who hear the word of God and keep it!” Luke 11:28

Change

The heart of the Gospel is a changed life in Christ. But each one of us must make a choice. God will change your life and your eternal destiny. You must choose to trust and obey Christ. Our Lord Jesus Christ began His public ministry with these words: “Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17. Our Lord’s last recorded words to the churches in Asia was to “Repent” (Revelation 2 and 3).

The Lamb of God
The first time Jesus Christ came to this earth as a Saviour, the Lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world. All who turn in Repentance away from sin and trust in Christ, following Him in obedience are saved.

The Lion of Judah
But our Lord Jesus Christ will come again… this time as a Judge: The lion of the Tribe of Judah, the King of kings and the Lord of lords. All who have not repented and obeyed His Law will be condemned and eternally punished in hell. Either you surrender to Christ as your Saviour now, or you will face Him as your Judge. Is Jesus Christ your Lord and Saviour?

Now......please take this as advice and not criticism. LONG posts tend to turn people away before reading all of it. I would suggest breaking down long posts such as this one down in to several posts wo that we can respond to each one.

Now......Whatever happened to sin was your question.

Nothing! It is still with us, just as bad today as it was with Adam and Eve. The results of sin however grow worse and worse as the time of the 2nd Coming of Christ draws nearer.

2 Timothy 3:13.........
“evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived”.

Hello Christ-love, did not read all of your post, for it became to overbearing.

What ever happened to sin? It was paid for on the by the blood shed of the Lord Jesus Christ for all people.

Sin is something that is part of our nature but has been paid for by God showing his great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners.

So the good news is that our sins have been paid for, however do is it wise to make the choice to continue go on carrying out our old lifestyle when presented with the knowledge of the truth and you start submitting to the truth that is found in the Lord Jesus Christ?

For most people who accept Jesus as Lord, and believe in their hearts God raised him from the dead shall be saved. Shall be saved in the sense they will have the holy spirit with them and anytime they mess up by not being loving towards God, or loving towards their neighbor the person will be chastened and go through trials with their faith. They will be saved from the darkness of their part life, into light of a new life with Christ Jesus.

If they continue to trust in God, and have faith by loving God with all their heart, all their mind, all their soul, and loving others as their selves.

According to the bible you are to turn from your old ways and be renewed by God.

As believers we all start off a children of God however have a choice to continue to grow in faith, and can become a Son or Daughter of God. - Which comes through following, and learning about Jesus Christ our Lord, and trusting God, with faith, and loving others. (Regardless of doctrines, or even if they are unbelievers.)

Ephesians 4:20 But that isn’t what you learned about Christ. 21 Since you have heard about Jesus and have learned the truth that comes from him, 22 throw off your old sinful nature and your former way of life, which is corrupted by lust and deception. 23 Instead, let the Spirit renew your thoughts and attitudes. 24 Put on your new nature, created to be like God—truly righteous and holy.​
1 Timothy 2:​
I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people. Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2 Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 5 For,​
There is one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. 6 He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone.
1 John 2: My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. 2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.
Do we judge people who are sinning, or condemn people? No, that is not our right to do anything like that.
God can condemn a person or chasten a person by the spirit that resides in them.

What are sins? You can find out the majority of them here in

Galatians chapter 5:​
16 So I say, let the Holy Spirit guide your lives. Then you won’t be doing what your sinful nature craves. 17 The sinful nature wants to do evil, which is just the opposite of what the Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are the opposite of what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, so you are not free to carry out your good intentions. 18 But when you are directed by the Spirit, you are not under obligation to the law of Moses.​
19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, the results are very clear: sexual immorality, impurity, lustful pleasures, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, dissension, division, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other sins like these. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God.​
22 But the Holy Spirit produces this kind of fruit in our lives: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. There is no law against these things!​
24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there. 25 Since we are living by the Spirit, let us follow the Spirit’s leading in every part of our lives. 26 Let us not become conceited, or provoke one another, or be jealous of one another.
The only way that had been learned to understand our heart is to listen to what Jesus Christ had taught to his disciples.

Matthew 15: 18 But the words you speak come from the heart—that’s what defiles you. 19 For from the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, all sexual immorality, theft, lying, and slander. 20 These are what defile you. Eating with unwashed hands will never defile you.”​

Do we harp on sin or do we say we are perfect and still do not fall short?
Would say no, we will still mess up in life, for we are not perfect like Jesus Christ. However we can be mature in our faith by loving God with all our heart, all our mind, all our soul, and loving others as ourselves, and can share the good news of the Lord Jesus Christ and what the truth of everything he brought to the table about if someone desires to hear about it.​
We can also share the things we are struggling with, and or the things God has helped us overcome in our lives by the spirit with others, as a testimony can be useful.​
God mainly changes our heart, and our minds, and causes us to show love towards Him, and we will show love towards others.
Thank you for your comment, and my response is just as long mainly scripture usage.

Hope these faith building scriptures help you in your walk, with God.

God bless all of you and your families. Take care.

Last edited:
I didn't read all of it either. If a post takes more than one scroll to read I scan.
Anyway, it seems you give too much focus to sin. We are aware of sin in our lives
and others but shouldn't be surprised by it or focus on it. Jesus came to save us from
that and I wasn't saved by my fear of fire and brimstone but love for Jesus.

Jesus didn't come to save me so I wouldn't sin but that He knew I couldn't resist it.
Sin results in a natural need for judgement.
Grace results in endurance and love.
The world is a sinful place full of sinful people. That's just the way it is.
Telling people how evil they are doesn't draw anyone to Jesus.
Jesus didn't go around teaching about how sinful people were. He gave us a hope in spite of our sin in Him.

Redefining Sin
Many pastors feel that they are competing in a “buyers market” and that they cannot afford to alienate potential parishioners.
“It’s All About Me!”
Many churches seem to have become therapeutic, pragmatic and utilitarian, even narcissistic.

Hello christs-love;

Welcome back to Christian Forum Site after 9 years.

I read your thread and understand what you want to share. What caught my attention is the title, Whatever Happened To Sin?

There are many, many disciplined believers of Christ and their focus is not to dwell on what happened to sin, but focus more on what God has done in His forgiveness, redemption and restoration back to the body of Christ.

Redefining Sin?
There are no trends "in these here and now times regarding sin," or "redefining sin" - sin is sin with God and there is no consolation.

Mass Marketing Selfishness? There are "more pastors" in these times than "many pastors" who are truly obedient in their calling of what God says about the church they are serving. Are we praying for these "many pastors," and confronting them with accountability, or are we just making targeted statements and writing them off? Do we feel qualified to report to God what He doesn't already know?

It's All About Me? Once again, there are far more seasoned, disciplined Christians that know the importance of prayer, fellowship, study and worship gatherings where our One True God and Savior inhabit our praises and worship of Him. Far more than the underlying motives of individuals with "me" agendas. And if these individuals with "me" agendas are attending church gatherings, more power to them!

Personally speaking, I have my life issues and what blessings I receive from the gatherings I attend to receive the
LOVE, ministering and support of others as God humbles me with humility out of His LOVE and discipline. He's constantly working in me so I can move forward daily.

Many churches that "seem" to have become therapeutic, pragmatic, utilitarian and even narcissistic is not a credible statement because of that word, "seem."
Do we really believe God will confuse His children by attending churches that will take away the Truth and His glory? To replace "seem" with "Truth," more people on all four corners of the earth are attending gatherings and receiving Christ, allowing their lives to be changed for His glory.

There are some statements in your thread backed by Scripture but it is mixed with an imbalance of the points I intentionally singled out.

God does not expect us to keep score of our sin and attitude. He expects us to learn from our wrongdoings and press on! God is a forward thinking God.

We have all done things we are ashamed of but we cannot dwell on our past sin and at the same time look forward to become what God's new directions are for us.

Philippians 3:14, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. - ESV

2 Corinthians 5:17, 17 Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. - ESV

christs-love, thank you for sharing.

God bless you and your family.

It should also be remembered that sin isn't just something 'bad' we think, say, or do but also it includes the 'good' we fail to think, say, and do.
Most sinners see themselves guilty under the first category whereas the self righteous usually fail to see their sinfulness under the latter category.

It should also be remembered that sin isn't just something 'bad' we think, say, or do but also it includes the 'good' we fail to think, say, and do.
Most sinners see themselves guilty under the first category whereas the self righteous usually fail to see their sinfulness under the latter category.

Hello, crossnote;

Well Said!
And definitely a good reminder and reassurance. The indwelt of the Holy Spirit calls out our conscious to see the latter.

That is a very good side note you added, crossnote. Sometimes you can be chastened by God depending on the circumstance.

Thinking about this wouldn't bad already be something when we fail to show love towards God, and towards our neighbor?
I agree and may I say that Hebrews 12:6 says.......
“For whom the Lord loves he chastens, and scourges every son whom he receives”.

So then, Another word for “chasten” is “discipline.” The passage goes on to quote Proverbs 3:11-12 which says,..........
“My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.”

Proper discipline is a proof of love.

Your thoughts...........?

Back