What's The Difference ?

Dusty

Inactive
What's The Difference ?

Been thinking lately that there is a difference between Thankfulness and Gratitude . Hear me out . And you don't have to accept my reasoning and please share your thoughts .

I have to ask myself “ Thanks '" . Am I just saying it out of respect or being polite ? Or am I thankful from my heart . I think gratitude and thankfulness are worlds apart .

Genuine gratitude means to show a kindness received that is truly valued . Giving thanks is a powerful thing the psalmist is talking about here .in Psalm 107 . I need to show God and the people I love most that the kindness received is of great value to me and that it means more than just a “ thank you “

Psalm 107:6-9

6 Then they cried out to the LORD in their trouble,
and he delivered them from their distress.

7 He led them by a straight way
to a city where they could settle.

8 Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love
and his wonderful deeds for men,

9 for he satisfies the thirsty
and fills the hungry with good things.

Did you know that surveys in restaurants say the person who says “ Thank you “ is not necessarily the one who leaves the biggest tip ?

There is plenty of research showing genuine gratitude changes life . So like the song says “ Give thanks with a grateful heart “

What about the 10 lepers that Jesus healed . How many of them came back with genuine gratitude to the Master . ?

Give thanks with a grateful heart
Give thanks to the Holy One
Give thanks because He's given Jesus Christ, His Son

And now let the weak say, "I am strong"
Let the poor say, "I am rich
Because of what the Lord has done for us"

Give thanks

We give thanks to You oh Lord
We give thanks

At work today I had time to write a great response to this, but my flash drive messed up when I got home to cut and paste it here. I will try to remember what I wrote.

Gratitude always presents itself with a thank you but a thank you doesn't necessarily always present itself with gratitude.

I believe gratitude goes deeper than just politeness, and I believe it holds a much more endearing quality toward the persons involved.

I am a bit embarassed to admit this, but honest confession is good for the soul, right?

This is my tendency . . . When I say thank you to someone I am pleased with I say it with utmost gratitude of heart, but when I say thank you to someone I am not pleased with I say it out of sheer politeness. I know! I know! I shouldn't be that way with people, but I am still a work in progress. God is still working on me.

However, every time I say "Thank You" to my Lord I say it from a heart of utmost gratitude; even when I'm angry with Him or frustrated with Him. Yes, I do get angry and frustrated with God from time to time, but I am always grateful for His provision.

So, I believe being thankful and being grateful can carry different meanings for different people in different situations.

peace.gif

Peace Out!

When I first got saved I heard alot about the attitude of gratitude. That's something a person has to learn to develop if they always complained before they were saved.

There is a book called ''Graditude will change your attitude'' but I never read it so I don't know if it's a Christian book or not. Even in businesses they have meeting sand seminars with subjects of this nature. It helps change the atmosphere of the office you work in.

At work today I had time to write a great response to this, but my flash drive messed up when I got home to cut and paste it here. I will try to remember what I wrote.

Thanks IHL ... I am sure you will remember . Sorry you had the problem

Gratitude always presents itself with a thank you but a thank you doesn't necessarily always present itself with gratitude.

I had to bold that and make it bigger . That's a very good explanation . I love that

I believe gratitude goes deeper than just politeness, and I believe it holds a much more endearing quality toward the persons involved.

Exactly what I was trying to say . It does go a lot deeper . I also think the person we are saying thanks to knows when it comes from our heart or just our mouth . At least I can sense when some one is genuine or like you said just being polite . I have a friend who is always saying thanks and I know that he means it with his heart . That means a lot to me as well .

I am a bit embarassed to admit this, but honest confession is good for the soul, right?

Hey IHL .... we all need that . And yes it is good to confess . Don't worry we are all in the same boat.

This is my tendency . . . When I say thank you to someone I am pleased with I say it with utmost gratitude of heart, but when I say thank you to someone I am not pleased with I say it out of sheer politeness. I know! I know! I shouldn't be that way with people, but I am still a work in progress. God is still working on me.

Hey, come to think about it .I think I do the same thing ., now that you meantioned it . I guess we are all a work in pragress .... LOL

However, every time I say "Thank You" to my Lord I say it from a heart of utmost gratitude; even when I'm angry with Him or frustrated with Him. Yes, I do get angry and frustrated with God from time to time, but I am always grateful for His provision.

Yes , heartfelt gratitude to our Lord is something I know I do as well . I am so full of love and gratitude for what He has done for me . Sometimes it is overwheming .

So, I believe being thankful and being grateful can carry different meanings for different people in different situations.

peace.gif

Peace Out!

Good post , IHL thanks ..... Blessings from the bottom of my heart .

:smiley10:
Thanks Dusty . . . I'm glad someone understood what I was trying to say, because I wasn't quite sure if I understood it at first.

godbleqiq.jpg

You are welcome my dear and I know you said that thanks from your heart and not just being polite ....
kisses.gif

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for ...tomorrow. ~Melody Beattie

Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for ...tomorrow. ~Melody Beattie

Back