When Asked For Money

Children need to go to the bank of mum and dad.
If it's gold coin spare change..and they say what its for I don't mind. Its not like I carry round wads of spare cash. The only time I gave money to a child was when they lost their coin for lunch and I found it somewhere in the library.

One time at the school market I gave to a child wanting to go on the bouncy castle, so I paid for her (I gave her the coin and watched her go on it)

I don't like when children living in poverty are exploited - the dads ought to be providing to their household, or if widowed, it used to the be the church but it was only in specific circumstances. The widows had to be over 60 I believe and the young widows had to marry again. Unfortunately even in some marriages its hard for parents to make ends meet. But parents have a responsibility to be careful stewards of the breadwinning or cash.Nowadays people go on welfare instead of going to church, the govt provided. This is so that you can have aren't left totally destitute, but it had to be enough to live on and not much more, problem is if it's not enough to live on and always short.

There's a story in the Bible about the widows oil how God provided so she didn't run out.

George Muller I believe prayed for God to provide for the orphaned children in his orphanage. He never asked anyone for money. God provided.
Unfortunately due to wars there are so many orphans in certain countries. Then there's emotional orphans too. A child is often regarded as another mouth to feed and nuisance by some uncaring parents.

Divorcees also have to pay child support and alimony, their responsibilities don't stop to their ex-wives and children after they divorce. (Not sure if rules favour husbands or wives now, but the court can rule that) Otherwise there's a settlement, and then the divorcee can remarry. Although I'm not a legal expert on that.

Children need to go to the bank of mum and dad.
If it's gold coin spare change..and they say what its for I don't mind. Its not like I carry round wads of spare cash. The only time I gave money to a child was when they lost their coin for lunch and I found it somewhere in the library.

One time at the school market I gave to a child wanting to go on the bouncy castle, so I paid for her (I gave her the coin and watched her go on it)

I don't like when children living in poverty are exploited - the dads ought to be providing to their household, or if widowed, it used to the be the church but it was only in specific circumstances. The widows had to be over 60 I believe and the young widows had to marry again. Unfortunately even in some marriages its hard for parents to make ends meet. But parents have a responsibility to be careful stewards of the breadwinning or cash.Nowadays people go on welfare instead of going to church, the govt provided. This is so that you can have aren't left totally destitute, but it had to be enough to live on and not much more, problem is if it's not enough to live on and always short.

There's a story in the Bible about the widows oil how God provided so she didn't run out.
This morning, at work, I got the following e-mail from the United Way:

"Through the 2023 ALICE Report, we have been able to collect extensive data and analyze how it is affecting households financially, from nationwide to statewide to right here in Miami-Dade County. Nearly half a million Miami-Dade County households are financially insecure and unable to afford the basics.

Many of these families are defined as ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed), which means they earn above the Federal Poverty Level, yet struggle to cover basic needs. ALICE families are hardworking members of the community who are employed yet can’t keep up with the rising cost of living. These are our childcare workers, home health aides and cashiers – and they are struggling to make ends meet.

According to the newly released data, the Household Survival Budget is $76,284, which reflects the estimated minimum cost for a family of four to live and work in our county. Currently, the median income for a household in Miami-Dade is far less at $59,044. Almost 60 percent of Miami-Dade County adults were employed in 2021, yet 55 percent of workers are paid by the hour, meaning they are more likely to have fluctuations in income and less likely to receive benefits."

Found it interesting...

Rtm

Cost of living in Auckland is horrendous...I can't give you figures as am not an auditor/statisican but not sure how young families are managing to survive. There's been growing inequality since Rogernomics reforms from 1984. I think they called it 'deregulation' some politically correct term for successive govts changing all the rules.

Before that NZ used to be known as 'egalitarian' . I can never keep up with all the rising costs. I manage to cover the basics though..but owning a house?? I don't think so. Anyone trying to do that as first time home buyer (the ones who actually NEED a home) or starting a family is sunk.

Leased homes might be better (If Landlord is kind enough) but I don't know people prefer private home ownership they can do what they like if they are rich.

Last edited:
Leased homes might be better but I don't know people prefer private home ownership they can do what they like if they are rich.

I thought most jobs pretty much paid by the hour. I've never had a job where they gave you a salary and said you do your work when you can as long as it gets done.
When they say "hourly," they are talking mostly about the service industry, like restaurants and so forth. They mean positions that do not guarantee 40 hours a week, 4 weeks a month.

Leased homes might be better but I don't know people prefer private home ownership they can do what they like if they are rich.

I thought most jobs pretty much paid by the hour. I've never had a job where they gave you a salary and said you do your work when you can as long as it gets done.
I get it. I am presently negotiating with our HR to allow my folks to work remotely and not have to drive to the office every day.

sorry I changed my post as I thought of one off jobs I did that just paid a set amount but that would only take a day or so.
Being a contractor is a bit different than an employee.

I was a contractor for many years, but the finances were confusing. The pay was high (sometimes around $200.00 an hour), but you had to pay your own taxes, insurance, retirement, etc.

Working in a restaurant at least you always have food. Or you could work in a hotel/restaurant and have accomodation as well.
I think employers need to think about acommodation supplements or factor in costs of living for workers. Good employers used to provide worker housing but I think those days are gone when factories and farms and hospitals etc just provided simple accomodation for workers so that they could work there.

Everyone's trying to work with a suburban model and go into the city commute but that just doesn't work/isn't feasible most of the time. Depends on how set up a city is. Of course if you own a farm, you have a homestead, you live where you work. But not everyone can do homesteading. If you do seasonal work you just go from place to place. Lots of people do migrant work and live in flophouses/tenemants hoping to earn enough to live on and maybe save for a deposit on their own home.

Though younger generation like to stay home to save money.

Banks want to know if you have a steady secure job/income before you allowed to borrow for a mortgage and staying put for at least 30 years. But that's hardly going to happen anymore. Nobody really has a job for 30 years these days.

Banks want to know if you have a steady secure job/income before you allowed to borrow for a mortgage and staying put for at least 30 years. But that's hardly going to happen anymore. Nobody really has a job for 30 years these days.
I guess that depends on the industry. Out school district has around 33,000 employees. For the most part, many are career employees and stick around for 30 plus years.

I wouldn't call school an 'industry'. Here we call it 'field'
I can't decide if what I have is a career or vocation. People always talked about careers, but librarian for me is a vocation.

Some people still think 'its just a job' no it's a livelihood.

I wouldn't call school an 'industry'. Here we call it 'field'
I can't decide if what I have is a career or vocation. People always talked about careers, but librarian for me is a vocation.

Some people still think 'its just a job' no it's a livelihood.
Hm. I looked up the difference between a career and vocation: "A career is one’s occupation or profession, often associated with earning a decent salary. A vocation is an inclination to undertake a certain kind of work, especially a religious one, often in response to a perceived calling."

My wife and I, before we were engaged, for a date, we would make a slew of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and head down to skid row in Los Angeles and give them out alongside with sharing Christ.
We did the same over in Westwood (upscale college town) but without the sandwiches, interesting thing. the skid row clientele were way more receptive to the Gospel than the uppity UCLA Westwood crowd was.

1 Corinthians 1:26-28
Brothers, consider the time of your calling: Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were powerful; not many were of noble birth. [27] But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. [28] He chose the lowly and despised things of the world, and the things that are not, to nullify the things that are,

Back