When something is too good to be true...

When something is too good to be true, it usually is? I think for me especially, when I see something about to work out, I think of the worst case scenario and I go with that scenario instead. I guess society has filled our heads with " when something is too good to be true it usually is" and so instead of being disappointed again and again, you just try to save yourself the pain and stick to the worst case scenario.Are they correct? Not believing that something so awesome could happen to you, is that lack of faith? I hope you guys understand what I am saying :)

Discernment

There is a difference between looking at the future through your wishes and trusting in the Lord and expecting Him to guide your steps.

Expect His providence. Some use the word miracles. Be sensitive to the fact that His answer may not be what your wishes specified.

Rejoice when He brings things to a joyful state.

Persevere in Him when His plan is in variance with yours.

When something is too good to be true, it usually is? I think for me especially, when I see something about to work out, I think of the worst case scenario and I go with that scenario instead. I guess society has filled our heads with " when something is too good to be true it usually is" and so instead of being disappointed again and again, you just try to save yourself the pain and stick to the worst case scenario.Are they correct? Not believing that something so awesome could happen to you, is that lack of faith? I hope you guys understand what I am saying :)
Well, the difficult part is to overcome the fact that how we feel does not decide the outcome. The faith we have in Lord will. Not being optimistic or pessimistic (both are lack of faith). It is hard, but that is the right thing to do.

i love steve hardy right now and i love Jesus and the Holy Spirit and LMighty God! hallelujah!!!!!

So the problem is what you think of God. Many on this site will disagree, but baring persecution, you will be blessed by the Father is you believe, have faith and trust Him. So what is faith? Faith is "strong conviction" about something. What are we to have a strong conviction of? God's goodness. So what's missing when you have a need? That "thing". So when you need it and the ask the Lord, have faith, you'll get it. Notice I said NEED, not want. But too, the Lord also gives your desires of the heart if the heart is focused on Him. So I've written this in another thread, but we just moved and I WANTED a place near a metro stop, but I needed it to be within my budget and needed to be near a shopping center because I'm the only one that drives. I really WANTED it to have a room tall enough to handle the furniture I bought overseas. I got a house 500 feet from the metro, 1 mile from a shopping center, 1 mile from a mall, in the woods (for me - I love the country and animals), it has vaulted ceilings and though it was a bit more than I wanted to pay, we signed praying it'd work out. I got two raises since signing and it's only been 3 months! We've seen 5 types of birds, a fox, rabbits, and lots of deer. There's more, but that'll do for now. Why did I get all this AND more? Honestly, because I have a strong conviction and God is good and He takes care of His own.

When would this NOT happen? Persecution. Believing the negative than the truth. We must have a strong conviction for things NOT seen... I didn't have this house, but I knew what I needed, and God knew too and gave me more than I could imagine. And the house is only a year old and very well built!

@Ravindran So what if I feel sad,kind of depressed but still, I know that God will work it all out. Is that faith or no?

If I may jump in..

Emotions, in and of themselves, are neither good, nor evil. What you do with them, how you react is more of the issue.

Depression/sadness can be difficult to understand, but sometimes we need to do some deep self examination, or if it is caused by emotional hurt, it may take time to come to terms.

Trusting in the Lord to be with each of us personally, knowing that He is there, even when we do not 'feel' His presence is a mark of faith, even if not the only one.

But if it takes too long or you are 'wallowing' in sadness, you need to seek help. The Lord does not want this to define you. Talk to a believer you trust. Talk to a minister you respect.

Joy in the Lord does not necessarily mean glee, of even similes at all times. You should know what is healthy for you.

Pray to the Lord to bring you through. Know that He never leaves you.

Be ready to be part of your Lord's answer to your own prayer.

@Abdicate I understand what you are saying. But what about God's will?
What do you think the will of God is?

2 Corinthians 1:20 (ESV)
For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.​

Amen in Greek is literally "of a truth." Everything God does on earth is through faith. The spiritual affects the physical - the definition of pray right? - and faith is seeing what's invisible. Your needs are physical, when you pray, you're asking the spiritual to affect the physical, so the spiritual (unseen) in faith (strong conviction) changes the physical.

If I may jump in..

Emotions, in and of themselves, are neither good, nor evil. What you do with them, how you react is more of the issue.

Depression/sadness can be difficult to understand, but sometimes we need to do some deep self examination, or if it is caused by emotional hurt, it may take time to come to terms.

Trusting in the Lord to be with each of us personally, knowing that He is there, even when we do not 'feel' His presence is a mark of faith, even if not the only one.

But if it takes too long or you are 'wallowing' in sadness, you need to seek help. The Lord does not want this to define you. Talk to a believer you trust. Talk to a minister you respect.

Joy in the Lord does not necessarily mean glee, of even similes at all times. You should know what is healthy for you.

Pray to the Lord to bring you through. Know that He never leaves you.

Be ready to be part of your Lord's answer to your own prayer.

Thanks for your comment! I am glad our emotions in themselves are not good or evil. That brings me some relief. From what I have seen and other other people say, joy in the Lord means to be happy and cheery all the time. So I guess that is why I grew up thinking that if I am sad then that means I am not acting in faith.

What do you think the will of God is?

For all the promises of God find their Yes in him. That is why it is through him that we utter our Amen to God for his glory.​

Amen in Greek is literally "of a truth." Everything God does on earth is through faith. The spiritual affects the physical - the definition of pray right? - and faith is seeing what's invisible. Your needs are physical, when you pray, you're asking the spiritual to affect the physical, so the spiritual (unseen) in faith (strong conviction) changes the physical.

What do I think the will of God is? That is a hard question for me to answer come to think of it. To me it's God doing what God wants to do. Regardless of if you will like it or not. Let me give you an example. I hear older persons in church will say that they didn't like their husband/wife when they met them but God sent them so they prayed that instead of God changing the spouse, they prayed that God changed their mind towards their spouse so they would love them. But I believe in passionate love and I don't believe you should marry someone unless you truly love them. That's just an example though.

So based on that, that's what God's will is to me. He just does what he sees fit and you just go with it. That is probably flawed. Forgive me. I am a new Christian and I am reading and trying to get a better understanding. I am basically trying to re-learn all i have been taught about God as a child because as a child they did not paint a loving picture of God.

What do I think the will of God is? That is a hard question for me to answer come to think of it. To me it's God doing what God wants to do. Regardless of if you will like it or not. Let me give you an example. I hear older persons in church will say that they didn't like their husband/wife when they met them but God sent them so they prayed that instead of God changing the spouse, they prayed that God changed their mind towards their spouse so they would love them. But I believe in passionate love and I don't believe you should marry someone unless you truly love them. That's just an example though.

So based on that, that's what God's will is to me. He just does what he sees fit and you just go with it. That is probably flawed. Forgive me. I am a new Christian and I am reading and trying to get a better understanding. I am basically trying to re-learn all i have been taught about God as a child because as a child they did not paint a loving picture of God.

Different people have different ways of dealilng with things. Sometimes people make decisions and then have to figure out how to make things work. A person who waits on the Lord, willno have to figure out how to make things work, because they just fit together....and as they obey the Word of God, follow in God's ways and footsteps, and leave the rest up to God...then God and His Word work things out.

Ok for example.....take this older couple that you mention or even a couple who are in an arranged marriage. They both love the Lord and have made the decision to obey the Word of God and His definition of Loving others as it applies to one another. As they align thier thoughts with God's Word the Love that God has placed within them when they accepted Christ comes into play and multiplies, overflowing for their mate. It can become a very passionate love for they are not governed by feelings but by the very character of God.

They did the right thing by praying that God change them, and not thier spouse. They put God's Word and their spouse before thrmselves and God came in and answered their prayers because they put someone else above themselves.

@Ravindran So what if I feel sad,kind of depressed but still, I know that God will work it all out. Is that faith or no?

That is a carnal hope. Its not biblical faith. Look at Abraham. God gave him a promise. And he believed God even though his body could not perform. Now that's an impossible situation. But because Abraham believed God...it happened just as God said it would. When they (Abram and Sarai) took things into thier own hands they messed things up.

It depends on what it is imho.

Something like marriage, God sends us someone very special. Kids, all special / unbelievably so.

Job....very likely a terrible environment. God needs us on earth to reach the unsaved.

House and car....God wants modesty from us. He should mostly bless us with a nice house and reliable car. But there are no gaurantees. I would think He 'mostly' wants us to use our brain. There is always such a fine line between tempting Him vs including Him in all things.

Health....He can't use us if we sick. Unless He needs us to reach the sick. Like say, put us in a wheelchair to reach those in wheelchairs...?

I mostly agree with your answer. Christianity is full submission to God's will. When we try and control the outcome of events we can easily walk outside of His will. This is a catch 22 though. As we could end up thinking nothing is on us. We should be passive only after harsh self judgment of our heart's desire and laziness.

There is a real element of a live relationship with God to our Christianity. One of asking with trust and receiving. ''You have not because you ask not'' James 4:3. Yet it always has to be superceded by us just relaxing and trusting our lives in His hands, no matter what the situation Matt 6:26-30. Ask and then leave it in His hands. He is our Father. Just make sure that He is a Father / you are in Christ / a child.

You asked if it is a faith issue. I don't believe it is in the sense of your 'Christian faith'. You already believe in God and that a man who walked the earth 2000 years ago is God of the universe (trinity). You are hence covered on faith with regards to 1. there being a God, 2. trust in that God and 3. in Jesus being God. This was all perfected when you became born again / were made a new a creation 2 Cor 5:17, 1 Cor 12:3.

Last edited:

These days, if you buy anything, you get a mostly useless owner's manual. For those of us blessed to be in the West, we have an owner's manual from God in paper or electronic format - the bible. Most people find the written word of God to be useless. Those of us that know better, know that it is 100% accurate and covers all situations. So if you have a problem, you have to go to the Owner's manual. Your original question was, how do you know when something is too good to be true. The world has taken advantage of good people for so long that the phrase "if it's too good to be true, it usually is." What a sad thing. Yet it's a scriptural promise for the end times:

Matt 24:11-12 (NET)
And many false prophets will appear and deceive many, and because lawlessness will increase so much, the love of many will grow cold.​

Here you go... people take advantage of the trusting so the trusting, trust no more. So all I can say is, all the promises of God are YES and AMEN through Jesus.

All you have to do it believe. Faith in Greek literally means strong conviction. That means it's not blind, but reasoned.

Sister, a few years ago I was meditating on this scripture that says.....

Eph 3:20.. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

I knew there was something I was missing, something I could not see, and then the Lord said to me, "Get a piece of paper", so, I did and then the Lord said, "at the bottom of this paper write Church teaching today". I did that, and then he said, " right above were you wrote Church teaching write, your imagination". After I did that the Lord said, "at the very top of the page write reality". Then the Lord told me to look at all the white empty space between the words "reality", and the words "your imagination" He said "all that white empty space is called, exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
What the Lord God has done to us, and what he has given to us exceeds our wildest imaginations. We can not even come close to visual seeing these things in our natural human mind or imaginations. I don't know about you, but I have pretty wild imagination. I can think of some pretty big things. What the Lord has done, and given us is way to good to be true, but it is true, and that is why it is reality. How, and in what way did the Lord God do, and give us this exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think things? The same verse tells us.....

Eph 3:20.. Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us,

God used the "power" that works in us. What is this power? The next verse tells us.......

Eph 3:21.. Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

This power is the the Glory of God!!!! Where is it's location?

Eph 3:21.. Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen.

This power is inside the Church!!! That is inside you and me, and all the body of Christ. Who gave us this Glory (power)?

Jesus gave us this Glory. You can read about it in the Gospels. (John 17:21022) Is there any limits to this Glory? How far reaching is it?

This Glory, and power goes throughout ALL ages. It is not subject to time or space as it is eternal. It is a world without end!!!

That's all fine and dandy, but how can I get this Glory, and power to be a benefit to me in my life today?
You are talking about your expectations when things don't look good, and you do not want to expect anything that might disappoint you. God never disappoints us if we do it his way, which is by faith.

2Cor 4:17.. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Cor 4:18.. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

When going through trials, as we all do, we want the Lord God to bring about a change in our circumstances. The things that are seen with our physical eyes are only "temporary", and they are subject to "change" To change our circumstances we must "look" at the things not seen. These things would be what we want to happen. They can be seen by faith. The only time God's "eternal weight of Glory works" for us is when we are looking at our desires by faith. Our vision of the unseen is what causes God's Glory to produced our desired results. If all you see is the bad things, that are going to happen then that is what you will get. Don't do that. :)

Last edited:
Sister, a few years ago I was meditating on this scripture that says.....

I knew there was something I was missing, something I could not see, and then the Lord said to me, "Get a piece of paper", so, I did and then the Lord said, "at the bottom of this paper write Church teaching today". I did that, and then he said, " right above were you wrote Church teaching write, your imagination". After I did that the Lord said, "at the very top of the page write reality". Then the Lord told me to look at all the white empty space between the words "reality", and the words "your imagination" He said "all that white empty space is called, exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think,
What the Lord God has done to us, and what he has given to us exceeds our wildest imaginations. We can not even come close to visual seeing these things in our natural human mind or imaginations. I don't know about you, but I have pretty wild imagination. I can think of some pretty big things. What the Lord has done, and given us is way to good to be true, but it is true, and that is why it is reality. How, and in what way did the Lord God do, and give us this exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think things? The same verse tells us.....

God used the "power" that works in us. What is this power? The next verse tells us.......

This power is the the Glory of God!!!! Where is it's location?

This power is inside the Church!!! That is inside you and me, and all the body of Christ. Who gave us this Glory (power)?

Jesus gave us this Glory. You can read about it in the Gospels. (John 17:21022) Is there any limits to this Glory? How far reaching is it?

This Glory, and power goes throughout ALL ages. It is not subject to time or space as it is eternal. It is a world without end!!!

That's all fine and dandy, but how can I get this Glory, and power to be a benefit to me in my life today?
You are talking about your expectations when things don't look good, and you do not want to expect anything that might disappoint you. God never disappoints us if we do it his way, which is by faith.

2Cor 4:17.. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory;
2Cor 4:18.. While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

When going through trials, as we all do, we want the Lord God to bring about a change in our circumstances. The things that are seen with our physical eyes are only "temporary", and they are subject to "change" To change our circumstances we must "look" at the things not seen. These things would be what we want to happen. They can be seen by faith. The only time God's "eternal weight of Glory works" for us is when we are looking at our desires by faith. Our vision of the unseen is what causes God's Glory to produced our desired results. If all you see is the bad things, that are going to happen then that is what you will get. Don't do that. :)

I understand what you are saying. Thank you! I love Eph 3:20 too. As a matter of fact I have it written down in my list of favorite verses. It is funny how I have it memorized and I still did not get that deep understanding of it. So thank you :)

Back