When traveling there is more to it than just the sights and sounds

When I lived in Europe, I often traveled by train. It was cheap, convenient, and comfortable; it also provided the opportunity to appreciate the marvelous European countryside. Once I moved back to the states in Chattanooga, Tennessee, I found that I had to go to Atlanta to catch a train because no train service is available here. I'm sure that those familiar with the song "Chattanooga Choo-Choo" will appreciate the irony of the situation.
I enjoy riding the train
Unfortunately, it's not running at the moment as it doesn't seem to run in school holidays and you have to take the replacement rail bus instead.
Bus travel isn't so relaxing.

There are trains in my city and their is a main trunk line but no passenger service up north where all the beaches etc are.
I think it would really make a difference if there was one even just a tourist train. Because the roads north to the city aren't very good even when a faster toll road was put in, it can get very congested in holiday periods. If a rail road was put in it might reduce road toll deaths..and revitalise the economy of the far north if all the smaller towns were connected better. Instead they are kind of cut off and you need a car to get anywhere.

In the olden days it was faster to sail round the top of the North Island.

My dad likes driving trams. He volunteers at MOTAT which is a transport museum! So I know a thing or two about transport history having grown up with stories of the 'good old days' when trams were everywhere in Auckland. They were scrapped in favour of buses.

I had to get my drivers licence at 15 and learn to drive pretty quick otherwise it would have been impossible for me to go anywhere as where I live you wait forever for a bus and they don't always show.

Back