When Were You Saved?

When were you saved?

• I am as yet unsaved

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was brought up as a very young Christian. I'm inclined to say my entire life.

There is always a specific time and/or event where one can usually remember where the "light came on", so to speak, where faith was birthed and one made a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ, which involves repentance of one's sins. No one has always been a Christian.

There is always a specific time one can usually remember where the "light came on", so to speak, where faith was birthed and one made a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ, which involves repentance of one's sins. No one has always been a Christian.
I agree. That would be like saying you have been a Republican or Democrat since a very young age. It's a decision you need to make for yourself.

There is always a specific time and/or event where one can usually remember where the "light came on", so to speak, where faith was birthed and one made a conscious decision to follow Jesus Christ, which involves repentance of one's sins. No one has always been a Christian.
Then it deserves explanation. From the earliest back I can remember, Christianity was part of my life--my parents, my daycare, and Jesus. Granted, it was as much Christianity as a toddler could understand, but I believed in the gospels and knew that they were important and I accepted it as applying to me too.

We can say age 2, but I don't know of a specific date. I can say without hesitation that my faith grew as I got older and so did my understanding...and at one point it went backwards a little, but was never lost.

I'll concede to that!!! (y)

I will say that you are both right in that at some point, we all need to decide whether we want to submit ourselves to God or not, and that's absolutely what I did in high school, but it wasn't a moment of total change for it -- it was a moment of "shall I continue or shall I stop?"

Continuing was the obvious answer for me, but it was a continuation on to what I had already believed from a very young age. The Gospel was not just a story to me -- I remember when I was 4-years-old, my older brother locked me in the bathroom with the lights off -- I was terrified of the dark. I remember screaming to let me out, but even at that age, I remember very vividly praying these words: "Father God, make the door open" over and over again until about 1 minute (or maybe it was only 20 seconds which felt like 5 minutes to me), my sister opened the door.

Prayer was part of me. I would never be able to explain what God literally is, how Jesus is both man and God, and why He loves us -- but I was able to understand that God is everywhere, Jesus is also God, and that He does indeed love us. I used to ask my mom "Even the bad guys?" She'd explain "Yes, even the bad guys because He made them."

It was a very simple faith, but despite my being young, I won't discredit it because it was still real.

Then it deserves explanation. From the earliest back I can remember, Christianity was part of my life--my parents, my daycare, and Jesus. Granted, it was as much Christianity as a toddler could understand, but I believed in the gospels and knew that they were important and I accepted it as applying to me too.

We can say age 2, but I don't know of a specific date. I can say without hesitation that my faith grew as I got older and so did my understanding...and at one point it went backwards a little, but was never lost.

A child is incapable of accepting the choice of being made new in Christ. A child will only do as told or pressured into a choice.

I beg your pardon, Dave, but I don't say anything that I don't mean.

What you believe to mean is different from what The King is looking for.

It is all well and fine to be the son that obeys just because it is expected, it is another to do so because you are actually capable of choosing because you see it is what is best for you.

Re-read Luke 15.

What you believe to mean is different from what The King is looking for.

It is all well and fine to be the son that obeys just because it is expected, it is another to do so because you are actually capable of choosing because you see it is what is best for you.

Re-read Luke 15.

Again, my faith was as simple as a toddler would be capable of understanding, but it was existent. At some point, of course I would need to make a sober assessment regarding my faith, which I'd say took place mostly in high school, but I legitimately believe in God and in Christ's divinity as a very young age. As I got older and began to understand it better, it grew at some point and at other points, I would struggle with some doubts too, but while I was taught about Christianity from a young point on, I also recognized it as not being make believe, but being something that happened and continues to happen.

You can call it a mustard seed faith or a child-like faith, or you can even choose to not believe it at all, but again, I mean what I say. And again, my faith wasn't static -- as I got older and began to understand things better, I was able to evaluate God much more. But just because I couldn't evaluate Him at age 3 doesn't mean I didn't have faith.

I'm not sure why this is so complicated to understand. Many young children can and do have faith in Christ -- what they do with it as they get older is what is especially important.

Again, my faith was as simple as a toddler would be capable of understanding, but it was existent. At some point, of course I would need to make a sober assessment regarding my faith, which I'd say took place mostly in high school, but I legitimately believe in God and in Christ's divinity as a very young age. As I got older and began to understand it better, it grew at some point and at other points, I would struggle with some doubts too, but while I was taught about Christianity from a young point on, I also recognized it as not being make believe, but being something that happened and continues to happen.

You can call it a mustard seed faith or a child-like faith, or you can even choose to not believe it at all, but again, I mean what I say. And again, my faith wasn't static -- as I got older and began to understand things better, I was able to evaluate God much more. But just because I couldn't evaluate Him at age 3 doesn't mean I didn't have faith.

I'm not sure why this is so complicated to understand. Many young children can and do have faith in Christ -- what they do with it as they get older is what is especially important.

So you did choose after you came of age.

Becoming a new wine skin is a process that someone very young cannot really conceive of in fullness. You do it because you were told or from following the crowd.

Blind loyalty is NOT loyalty.

So you did choose after you came of age.

Becoming a new wine skin is a process that someone very young cannot really conceive of in fullness. You do it because you were told or from following the crowd.

Blind loyalty is NOT loyalty.

Of course I chose after I came of age, but my choosing wasn't a switch of faith, but a choosing to continue on with what I believed to be self-evident -- the difference was I could better understand it than when I was younger.

Here's a simple comparison...a young child can't fully grasp and evaluate what love is, but that doesn't mean he cannot love. Many young children, even at infancy, have a love for their mothers -- in fact, it's the initial bond. Likewise, this can translate to the relation between children and God. God won't hide himself from children just because they are underdeveloped.

We raise our children according to the word of God, teaching them about Jesus Christ, and yes, they have the faith of a child, but even in them, there will com a day of reckoning, and they will have to make a conscious choice to receive Jesus Christ and follow Him, submitting to Him with their lives. No one is saved by osmosis, or by inheritance, because their parents are saved. Their parents also had to make a decision for Christ at some point.

We raise our children according to the word of God, teaching them about Jesus Christ, and yes, they have the faith of a child, but even in them, there will com a day of reckoning, and they will have to make a conscious choice to receive Jesus Christ and follow Him, submitting to Him with their lives. No one is saved by osmosis, or by inheritance, because their parents are saved. Their parents also had to make a decision for Christ at some point.

I haven't argued against that.
I remember at age 7 being able to distinct acceptance of Christ from rejection of Him much clearer. If you'd like, we can say age 7 back in 1992, but I'm not going to discredit the faith, despite its lack of development as not being a saving faith.

I'm not sure why this is even a subject of argument.

Back