Which Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which Bible?

Hello all. I'm sure you've probably noticed me posting randomly around the forum :D

Anyway, I am 15-years-old, and I have been raised Roman Catholic by my parents. However, I have gone deeper into Faith, and formed a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and God.

I now consider myself to be a Protestant, rather than a Catholic. I've told my parents, and they are happy that I am discovering God, but they remain Roman Catholic.

Anyway, my next mission is to read the complete texts of the Holy Bible. I have read most of it, but I am still missing a lot, and I feel the Catholic Bibles that are in my home aren't spreading the "true" mission of God that I believe in.

I'm guessing I should buy a King James Version Bible, correct? But, are there any more specific details I should know about? :D Like the NEW King James Version? lol, what do you guys recommend? I know the Protestant Bibles, are all basically the same, but I just want to receive the best of God's Word!

Thanks ;)

I've never read a catholic Bible, so I don't know what language they are generally written in for comparison purposes. Correct me if I am wrong...... but isn't the Catholic Bible the same as the Protestant Bible except there are a few extra books thrown in? :confused:

I like the King James version of the Bible, but for many people not familiar with the language it can be quite cumbersome. Most people and churches I know of use NIV (New International Version). I use NIV most of the time these days for this same reason. (But my Bibles here at home are all KJV.)

If you want a good Bible for studying, then buy a study Bible. I use the Spirit Filled Life Bible, but there are tons of other really good study Bibles out there. You may even want one of the student or teen study Bibles. Maybe someone else on this forum can recommend a good one of those (I am not very familiar with the various student/ teen study Bibles.)

Thanks for some help :)

There a a few more books in the Catholic Bible, yes, but also, a lot of words are changed around, and replaced. For example, in my version, in the Book of Job (40:15) the word "Behemoth" is replaced with "Hippo", and the "Leviathan" is replaced with "Alligator". Pardon my French, but I have never heard of a fiery poisonous alligator! :D

I've been thinking about asking my mom to buy me the Evidence Bible from LivingWaters.com for Christmas. :) But I just want a simple Bible for now, because I hunger for God's words!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help that has been given, it has been appreciated. Anyone else willing to give any advice, go right ahead :)

Woah thanks.

I haven't stumbled across that application yet, I'll be sure to check it out ;)

Thanks again.

I love the NKJV and NIV. But I will never steep so low as to condemn any other version of the Bible in the mainstream Christian faith.

As for the Catholic Bible, isn't it more inline with the Bishop's Bible?

Anyway, my next mission is to read the complete texts of the Holy Bible.

I have to get around to that too...:eek:

I'm guessing I should buy a King James Version Bible, correct? But, are there any more specific details I should know about? :D Like the NEW King James Version? lol, what do you guys recommend? I know the Protestant Bibles, are all basically the same, but I just want to receive the best of God's Word!

The King James Bible is the classic Protestant Bible, written in Old English style. It is available in the regular version (with modern letters) or the 1611 edition, which is the original font and layout. I have a copy of each. The 1611 is rather hard to read (though I am a bit more used to it), because the v's and u's are reversed, along with the infamous f/s interchange. But then you get to see and old-fashioned printing press layout and the fancy illumination.

The New King James has updated lettering and wording. The phrasing is generally the same, only updated to modern English.

The NIV is translated by the phrase for accuracy of figures of speech and for clarification of tenses that do not exist in English. It is probably best for quick understanding.

Young's Literal Translation is word for word from the original Greek, and it is great for very detailed analysis. However, it can be hard to understand in parts, and KJV works a bit better for detailed analysis when it used with Strong's Concordance. I would recommend the concordance, but if you don't want to get one, I suggest you use NIV for the clearest understanding.

This question seems to come up a lot and I don't think there is a wrong answer here. It is important to realize that reading the living Word of God is going to be impacting no matter the translation. God reveals himself to all of us as we read it. I use E-Sword and have three versions of the Bible downloaded into it. King James Version (KJV), New King James Version (NKJV) and New Living Translation (NLT). I also have recently purchased an NLT version for study as it is an easier read. It really is personal preference but as always I reccomend several versions via the E-Sword software in order to study several versions side by side and give you more of an idea about how the Word was written.

I'd recommend New International Version, the English Standard Version and King James Version. :) The NIV is, according to Zondervan, the most popular among evangelicals, the ESV is literal, conservative and modern and the KJV is a classic and beautifully written.

Everyone has their preferences, and some are more adamant about it than others. But it comes down to what style you feel most comfortable with, and what version you feel that God is speaking to you best.

On a more personal note, and as a former Catholic (and Italian-American) myself, I am happy that you have decided to let Jesus Christ in to your heart, and with the liberating truth that salvation comes through Him and Him alone. :)

The following is only my opinion.

Which bible is best? That depends on who you ask and there are many camps convinced that the only one that is right is the one they seem to prefer. I have read the KJV, NKJV, the Amplified, NAS, NIV and quite a few other translations and God in His sovereignty has spoken to me through them all.

The King James is an excellent bible and the New King James is a little easier to understand as it takes out the old english vernacular. Both are poetic and make an excellent study bible.

The New International version is simple to understand and it written at an 8th grade reading level to make it easy to digest.

The Amplified Bible is expounded to it's fullest to bring out the meaning of the text. I do not personally recommend this as a first time reading bible but it would not hurt.

All of these have there good points and there are so many wonderful translations out there. I would tend to stay away from anyones personal study bibles as you may be absorbing much of their opinions with your reading.

I always recommend to any believer who is young in the Lord to read the New Testament several times before dipping into the old.
The Gospels (Matthew, Mark,Luke, John) were generally written to the lost and heavens call of love to enter into God's Kingdom.
Acts is the birth of the Church.
The rest from Romans to Revelations the Word of God is a love letter to the Church.
If one has a good understanding of these then the Old Testament will be much easier to understand as there are types and shadows of Jesus Christ from one end to the other.

Lastly I would recommend this- The Father sent the Holy Spirit to be our comforter, guide and teacher. He is the One who walks beside you constantly so why not include Him. Holy Spirit teach me what this Word of God is saying and how to apply it to my life. This will be of immense help as any understanding void of God's Spirit always results in legalistic bondage.

I hope this helps you in some way. Many blessings in His most wonderful Name, brother Larry.

Boanerges said:
I would tend to stay away from anyones personal study bibles as you may be absorbing much of their opinions with your reading.

The thing that I like about the Spirit Filled Life Study Bible is all the wealth of information that is included in it. Each book of the Bible begins with a page providing the author, dates, historical context, etc. It also provides information for each book on personal applications, Christ revealed, and the Holy Spirit at Work (although I don't tend to read these parts). There also may be included parts on literary form, method of communication, purpose, etc. Also at the beginning of each book is an outline-- which I like because if I want to find something quickly then I can just look at the outline for where it is. Then another thing I like is that throughout the Bible are Word Wealth's that will provide a word in the original Greek or Hebrew and tell what it means (these are taken from Strong's Concordance). I also like all the maps, tables, and charts provided throughout the Bible. One thing that I don't usually read, but are also included in the Bible are Kingdom Dynamics and Truth in Action. If things were written by a particular person, then the initials or name is provided so that you know whose opinion or thoughts they are..... the Bible is edited by Jack Hayford, but everything throughout the Bible is written by dozens of scholars including people such as Pat Robertson, Marilyn Hickey, Oral Roberts, etc. In places in the Bible where there are different view points, this Bible sometimes includes all the views..... such as in Revelations, it has a chart that provides explanations for the Premillennial pretribulational view, premillennial posttribulational view, Premillenial Midtribulational view, Premillennial Pretribulational Partial Rapture view, Premillenial Prewrath Rapture view, Evangelical postmillenial view, St. Augustine's ammilennial view, and a Second millenial view...... so it gives the various views, explanations for each view, and scripture verses that each view uses to support that view. That was just one example, but basically it doesn't just throw one opinion at you and expect you to believe only that. It provides alternate opinions and leaves it up to the reader to develop their own thoughts and ideas.

Anyhow, I am not trying to "sell" this Bible to anyone. I certainly don't get any of the profits. :p I just wanted to tell what I like about this particular Study Bible, and all the information that is included in it. When it comes to Bibles, I have only owned two in my lifetime. I used the same Bible from Kindergarten (a KJV that was not a study Bible, nor was it a "children's" Bible...did they even make those back then?) all the way through my senior year in highschool. At that point I was given this study Bible and I have been using it ever since. I still have my original Bible on my bookshelf.

NP BOG, whatever gets you closer to the King. I do not have anything against study bibles and in fact own more than a few. I personally do not recommend them to folks young in the Lord but that is just me. I still have my JV McGhee study bible and it is like visiting an old friend when I open it up.:)

The thing that I like about the Spirit Filled Life Study Bible is all the wealth of information that is included in it. Each book of the Bible begins with a page providing the author, dates, historical context, etc. It also provides information for each book on personal applications, Christ revealed, and the Holy Spirit at Work (although I don't tend to read these parts). There also may be included parts on literary form, method of communication, purpose, etc. Also at the beginning of each book is an outline-- which I like because if I want to find something quickly then I can just look at the outline for where it is. Then another thing I like is that throughout the Bible are Word Wealth's that will provide a word in the original Greek or Hebrew and tell what it means (these are taken from Strong's Concordance). I also like all the maps, tables, and charts provided throughout the Bible. One thing that I don't usually read, but are also included in the Bible are Kingdom Dynamics and Truth in Action. If things were written by a particular person, then the initials or name is provided so that you know whose opinion or thoughts they are..... the Bible is edited by Jack Hayford, but everything throughout the Bible is written by dozens of scholars including people such as Pat Robertson, Marilyn Hickey, Oral Roberts, etc. In places in the Bible where there are different view points, this Bible sometimes includes all the views..... such as in Revelations, it has a chart that provides explanations for the Premillennial pretribulational view, premillennial posttribulational view, Premillenial Midtribulational view, Premillennial Pretribulational Partial Rapture view, Premillenial Prewrath Rapture view, Evangelical postmillenial view, St. Augustine's ammilennial view, and a Second millenial view...... so it gives the various views, explanations for each view, and scripture verses that each view uses to support that view. That was just one example, but basically it doesn't just throw one opinion at you and expect you to believe only that. It provides alternate opinions and leaves it up to the reader to develop their own thoughts and ideas.

Anyhow, I am not trying to "sell" this Bible to anyone. I certainly don't get any of the profits. :p I just wanted to tell what I like about this particular Study Bible, and all the information that is included in it. When it comes to Bibles, I have only owned two in my lifetime. I used the same Bible from Kindergarten (a KJV that was not a study Bible, nor was it a "children's" Bible...did they even make those back then?) all the way through my senior year in highschool. At that point I was given this study Bible and I have been using it ever since. I still have my original Bible on my bookshelf.

I'm with Who am I - I wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to promote Rick Meyers' "E-Sword." Rick has many versions of the Bible free for the taking. His program also has a compare feature that allows you to look at many different versions at the same time. First download the program then download all of the Bibles and commentaries into it that you select.

Larry II

e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

I'm looking for a good (and yes free! I'm a college student :)) Catholic and Non-denominational Bible. Any suggestions on those?

I'm seeing a lot of these names and am not sure really which one to choose!

Thanks for all your help :)

I'm with Who am I - I wouldn't want to pass up an opportunity to promote Rick Meyers' "E-Sword." Rick has many versions of the Bible free for the taking. His program also has a compare feature that allows you to look at many different versions at the same time. First download the program then download all of the Bibles and commentaries into it that you select. Larry II
e-Sword - the Sword of the LORD with an electronic edge

I love E-sword and have had it about 3 years now...I recommend the King James but I have also read The Amplified and a new one: The Praise and Worship Study Bible ( I think it is NIV and has the best praise, worship, musical, arts, references and stories, etc.)

You may want to look at "The Message" The Message strives to help readers hear the living Word of God—the Bible—in a way that engages and intrigues us right where we are. Some people do not think it is the right bible, but others I know really love it.

The Message is good for bringing out the "flavor" of certain scriptures and I enjoyed reading it. One thing it is not is a study bible though.

I like the King James version of the Bible, but for many people not familiar with the language it can be quite cumbersome.

I like that version too. It's a classic. Dignified, poetic speech. Very well-written. The words spoken are like music.

:confused:

Well, I don't find the langauge to be cumbersome at all. :eek:

Can I just ask why are there other books in catholic version and not in the protestant version. How many are there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back