Which Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although I dearly love the KJV, I have to correct your assertion that it is not copyrighted. It is and you can look it up. The language of the KJV is now 400 years old, with many words either having changed their meaning, or completely disappearing altogether. And yet there are those who work to keep the Word of God out of the hands of people in a language they can understand.

The problem is with omissions - leaving out far too many words, even up to partial verses.
Yes the KJV is hard to read being old English - BUT get some old dictionaries from 2nd hand shops (usually cheap).
Get hold of a hard or electronic copy of Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of Hebrew and Greek Words for study help.
Compare what you read in the KJV with other translations to get the gist of the meaning, yes that's fair enough.
But real Bible needs to be based on the older Bible translations, preferably before 1900 for substance and content.

Another true value of the most venerated King James is that [unlike most contemporary versions] the KJV is a
word for word translation. That is every word in the original languages is translated into the KJV.
Not even the Revised Version of 1888 managed to do that.

Witnessing using the archaic KJV is not going to win many new believers, if they are supposed to stock up on study aids, too. The modern versions are most excellent and trustworthy, and just as empowered by Holy Spirit as the KJV---make no mistake, there.

and just as empowered by Holy Spirit as the KJV---make no mistake, there.
Rubbish. The quality of modern versions and translations is appallingly bad. No comparison whatsoever to the inspiration of the KJV.
The difference is not only scholarship and precise word for word inclusion - but also 400 years ago the translators actually believed the Word of God as inspired and sacred - to be handled with utmost reverence. Hardly the standard or belief of supposed "modern scholarship."
As for witnessing I use my KJV all the time. Our entire fellowship worldwide uses the KJV, even where the Queen's English is not their native tongue.
It's because we have a love for the Word of God, so why not use the best available.

Rubbish. The quality of modern versions and translations is appallingly bad. No comparison whatsoever to the inspiration of the KJV.
The difference is not only scholarship and precise word for word inclusion - but also 400 years ago the translators actually believed the Word of God as inspired and sacred - to be handled with utmost reverence. Hardly the standard or belief of supposed "modern scholarship."
As for witnessing I use my KJV all the time. Our entire fellowship worldwide uses the KJV, even where the Queen's English is not their native tongue.
It's because we have a love for the Word of God, so why not use the best available.
Yes, it would be rather embarrassing to have to deal with a young inquiring mind that is beside herself with doubts, fears and downright incredulous disenchantment and disbelief after reading the net or the niv or other modern paraphrases.
Better to start with a translation right from the start rather than a paraphrase (version).

post 22: Empowered
post 23: Inspired

As I read above, the usage of the 2 adjectives is describing a 2 different subject...

seems to me the usage is:
Empowered is describing translations…
Inspired is describing the translators…

am not playing discussion moderator, just a commentator : )

No, what I am saying is NOT rubbish.

The Lord reaches in to the hearts of people through any and all of the modern translations---even paraphrases. Holy Spirit isn't limited!

Stop worshiping a version and open your heart and mind to the working of Holy Spirit through modern English. It's obviously (for you) a matter of trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back