Which version of the Bible do you prefer?

I was looking around for a new Bible. Mine is a watered down King James and I have noticed a number of things have been left out. I went online and it never occurred to me how many translations or versions there are of the Bible. Which do you use?

I prefer the ESV these days, but why do you think the KJV is watered down and what have you noticed that has been left out?

Oh I was reading the Book of Ezekiel on my lunch and noticed certain things simply not there. The verses concerning the Valley of the Dry Bones was omitted, the prohibition against homosexuality was not there. I am not familiar enough with everything to know what else. If those were left out, it begs the question what else was left out. Maybe it is not that way in all KJV, maybe just the edition I have was messed with for modern PC reasons.

I know that there are a few verses here and there that have been added to the KJV for some relatively complex reasons, but I'm not aware of any in the Old Testament since that is so easily verifiable due to the Hebrew traditions.

You have a KJV of the Bible, but it's missing Ezekiel 37? Like half the chapter? That is very odd. Those verse do exist in the KJV and every version I'm aware of (including some of the "kiddie' versions). Sounds like what they did with "The Message", but even then I didn't think they actually took out verses.

I was not brought up in the church, and even after 36 years as a Christian I find the KJV language difficult. I much prefer to read a version that I can understand. For quite a few years now I have been using the NIV, and mostly I find it good. Occasionally I use the RSV, which is actually the version we used when I was in Bible College. Unfortunately e-Sword, which I use as an electronic concordance, only comes with KJV, so I often find myself having to translate verses back in my mind so that I can find them.

blessings,

Lynn

I was not brought up in the church, and even after 36 years as a Christian I find the KJV language difficult. I much prefer to read a version that I can understand. For quite a few years now I have been using the NIV, and mostly I find it good. Occasionally I use the RSV, which is actually the version we used when I was in Bible College. Unfortunately e-Sword, which I use as an electronic concordance, only comes with KJV, so I often find myself having to translate verses back in my mind so that I can find them.

blessings,

Lynn

e-Sword doesn't have NIV, but it does have several other pretty good versions (including the ESV). I was recently impressed with their inclusion of a warning message about Christian persecution in some countries where even downloading/updating it could alert an oppressive government.

I get so frustrated because - although the ORIGINAL version of the Bible was inspired by God who is perfect, the many translations of the Bible are translated by man who is not perfect. So, all these translations frustrate me, but I usually stay with the New King James Version with the Holy Spirit directing me as to how I should interpret it for my life.

Ooops, my sincerest apologies. The Bible is the USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) edition, Not the KJV. Don't know how I got that confused. But it is obvious that this version has been politically sanitized. Now, I will go home after work and find my KJV and start over with that one.

Ooops, my sincerest apologies. The Bible is the USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops) edition, Not the KJV. Don't know how I got that confused. But it is obvious that this version has been politically sanitized. No, I will go home after work and find my KJV and start over with that one.

I almost always avoid denominational Bibles. I did have a brief love affair with Holman's but it was sometimes very difficult to reconcile with the Greek.

Generally, every version of the Bib(b)le is imperfectly translated, and for this every true Saint use only this version that comes directly from the mouth of the true Lord God.

Romans 1:17 "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.",

Romans 3:20-22 "Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law(ie "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil") is the knowledge of sin. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:",

Romans 3:27-31 "Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. Is he the God of the Jews(ie of the believers) only? is he not also of the Gentiles(ie of the non-believers)? Yes, of the Gentiles also: Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision(ie the believers) by faith, and uncircumcision(ie the non-believers) through faith(ie as the Alone He Believes inside of them to instead of them). Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish(ie but Namely so we Consecrate) the law."

Oh I do not mind differences in translations. But when the edition starts leaving things out, like I found with the Book of Ezekiel, for political reasons; well, that is just wrong.

As someone who regularly ministers in developing nations through an interpreter, I can very much understand the difficulties that Bible translators have. Very often, there is simply not one word in language A that adequately expresses the word in language B. Sometimes, one word will take a whole sentence to translate; sometimes a sentence will translate into just one word. Occasionally, the very concept does not exist in the new culture, and the translator has to find a way of expressing it.

Not everyone has the time or ability to go off and learn Greek and Hebrew, but sometimes having a good interlinear translation and a Strongs (or the electronic equivalent) is very helpful.

e-Sword doesn't have NIV, but it does have several other pretty good versions (including the ESV).
Bana, how do I get the other versions? Mine only came with King Jim.

blessings,

Lynn

Bana, how do I get the other versions? Mine only came with King Jim.

It's under the modular installer. There are hundreds of translations, commentaries, and Christian e-books to be downloaded for free, including Strong's, YLT, ESV.

It's under the modular installer. There are hundreds of translations, commentaries, and Christian e-books to be downloaded for free, including Strong's, YLT, ESV.
Cool! I'll go have a play. Thanks, Bana!

Until very recently I've used a commercial Bible program, Quick Verse, which is excellent. However, now that I have a 'puter in the office as well as one at home (coming up in the world
smile.png
), I have installed it on the office 'puter, which means I needed something else at home. I had heard about e-Sword, and thought it would be a good alternative to buying anothe program. So far, it seems great.

blessings,

Lynn

Like bana I use the e-Sword on my computer, favoring the ASV and the NASB. I paid twenty dollars for the NASB and I teach from the NASB because of the, as near as possible, word for word, translation. I also use the KJV because I cut my teeth on it.

Back