Who Are Your Favorite Theologians/christian Scholars/etc.?

To begin, we are all on the same page being madly in love with Christ.

But of theologians, Christian scholars, authors, philosophers, etc., who are your favorites?

They could be as long ago as the early Church fathers to as recent as a current YouTuber. It could be St. Paul, C.S. Lewis, John Henry Newman, Billy Graham, Fr. Robert Barron, etc. etc.

Let's share
KidThumbsUp.jpg

Definitely Paul. I wonder if anyone would exclude him! :) I haven't spent too much time reading works of old Christian scholars like Calvin, Luther, etc.. so hard to pick from them.. Of modern day people, John MacArthur, R.C. Sproul, Ravi Zacharias, Chucks Swindoll, Alistair Begg

John Nelson Darby, William Kelly, Clarence Larkin, John W. Burgon, Frederick Scrivener, Thomas Ice, E.W. Bullinger to name a few.

In no specific order, I dig St. Ignatius of Antioch, St. Thomas Aquinas, CS Lewis, St. Paul, William Lane Craig, Fr. Barron, Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen, St. Augustine, and Nicky Cruz.

To begin, we are all on the same page being madly in love with Christ.

But of theologians, Christian scholars, authors, philosophers, etc., who are your favorites?

They could be as long ago as the early Church fathers to as recent as a current YouTuber. It could be St. Paul, C.S. Lewis, John Henry Newman, Billy Graham, Fr. Robert Barron, etc. etc.

Let's share
View attachment 692

Actually........too many to list. They all to me, form a foundation of truth.

If I was pressed into picking one and only one person to rely on for truth, honesty, fundamental and down to earth explinations of difficult questions it would probably be Dr. J. Vernon McGee.

At one time it was Miles J. Stanford who was helpful to me when I really needed it. Now it's more St. John of the Cross and Andrew Jukes. But I guess my two favorite books will always be The Velveteen Rabbit and The Little Prince. Not Christian writings per se, but certainly carrying a message of death and rebirth.

At one time it was Miles J. Stanford who was helpful to me when I really needed it. Now it's more St. John of the Cross and Andrew Jukes. But I guess my two favorite books will always be The Velveteen Rabbit and The Little Prince. Not Christian writings per se, but certainly carrying a message of death and rebirth.

Probably the most creative answer yet :D

Fr. Barron is amazing... looking at his eyes when he speaks of the Lord Jesus one can see there is a great deal of love, the light of God shines thru his eyes. i have also watched Archbishop Sheen and just love the way he delivered his sermons, a combination of energy with passion... on the radio i like to listen to Chuck Swindoll and RC Spraoul (even though at times i disagree with some of what they say) ... one of my favorite early Christian is definitely St. Jerome ...

The great Venerable Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen entered eternity on December 9, 1979. He had the number one rated television show in 1952 called Life is Worth Living. People of all faiths loved him. Could you imagine a Catholic Bishop with the number one rated show on television? Neither can i. Times have changed too much...
The late Archbishop had a tremendous sense of humor. He was giving a talk at the UCLA campus and a heckler shouted out "How did Jonah spend three days in the belly of the whale?" Archbishop Sheen answered " I haven't got the slightest idea, but when I get to Heaven I will ask him." The heckler shouted back:
"WHAT IF HE'S NOT THERE?" Bishop Sheen responded....
"If he's not there then you can ask him." ;)

It's too bad that this generation missed out on him. His reruns can still be seen on EWTN.

Just like i listen to pastors that are not Catholic so did many people listen to him for he brought to so many the word of God and made it enjoyable to be edified by this Archbish0p ... :love:

Listening on the radio, the Christian station, the guest speaker was telling how there is a major falling out of people going to church which may also mean falling out in spirituality, in all denominations. Most Americans identify with Christianity, but don't feel they should go to church. Many find excuses, as the guest speaker stated, and they are not always good ones, but some are, like the sense that when they are in the church (which can be Baptist, Evangelist, Catholic, etc...) they are made to feel guilty of their daily lives, fire and brimstone is preached in some, possibly they are looking more for love sermons. Yet some churches concentrate on the youth and are able to have gatherings of millions of youth to attend events like World Youth Day, or like Fr. Marcelo in Brazil who constantly attracts thousands in his mass : http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/21/world/americas/brazil-pope-singing-priest/, or like Billy Graham who has done the same as in Zambia drawing 60, 000 people http://www.christianpost.com/news/billy-grahams-prayer-event-in-zambia-draws-60000-64304/... yet we have a definite falling out of faith in our own USA.

Is it parents fault... is it the Left media and leaders which are expounding the 'now is the only time and do as you please' ideology... is it the 'don't have time' to go and sit for service... or just maybe it's the water they are drinking or the GMO food they are eating which may contain something that makes them passive ( i am actually serious) because there seems to be too much aloofness amongst Americans in all things not just faith, but they just seem to go thru motions and repeat those motions (except in 2010 only year i saw an upheaval of the masses)... by the way the same seems to be also going on in Europe.

Rosa,

There have actually been surveys of young people asking them why they are leaving Christianity. Their answers are pretty consistent...

Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church

1) Churches seem overprotective (Christianity is fear-based and demonizes everything outside of the church)

2) Christianity is shallow (church is boring, irrelevant, lacking in clear Biblical teaching)

3) Christianity is antagonistic to science (self-explanatory)

4) Christianity is simplistic and judgmental when it comes to sexuality (self-explanatory)

5) Churches are too exclusive (close-minded, intolerant, not diverse)

6) Churches are unfriendly to those who doubt (don't provide satisfactory answers to questions, or don't allow questioning at all)

Fr. Barron is amazing... looking at his eyes when he speaks of the Lord Jesus one can see there is a great deal of love, the light of God shines thru his eyes. i have also watched Archbishop Sheen and just love the way he delivered his sermons, a combination of energy with passion... on the radio i like to listen to Chuck Swindoll and RC Spraoul (even though at times i disagree with some of what they say) ... one of my favorite early Christian is definitely St. Jerome ...

Absolutely. I listen to Fr. Barron's podcast regularly -- he may be one of the most eloquent priests within the Doctor of Sacred Theology order. Also, Fr. Robert Sirico is another excellent thinker within the modern Church.

St. Paul and the Apostles, sure, then St. John Chrysostom of Constantinople, St. Augustine of Hippo, St. Francis of Assisi, Martin Luther, Heinrich Bullinger, John Calvin, Theodore Beza, John Knox, Fancis Turretin, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Hodge, Charles Spurgeon, Greg Bahnsen, Louis Berkhof, F.F. Bruce, James Montgomery Boice, Gordon Clark, Anthony Hoekema, Herman Hoeksema, C.S. Lewis, J. Gresham Machen, John MacArthur, John Murray, J.I. Packer, Francis Schaeffer, George Eldon Ladd, William Lane Craig, Herman Bavinck, Ravi Zacharias, John Piper, Robert L. Reymond, James White, R.C. Sproul.

I don't know if all of these would be considered 'theologians' proper, or that any would be my absolute favorites, but some of the books and radio programs I like are by J. V. McGee, Michael Card, George Mueller, Hudson Taylor, C.T. Studd, C.S. Lewis, Andrew Murray, and Watchman Nee. There are others I also like that have already been mentioned, such as J.I. Packer. I don't consider any of these to be inerrant, but they have much 'good stuff' that I've found beneficial.

Back