Who Is The Bride In The Nt?

A bride is a betrothed virgin Mr. D, just as Paul uses the same vernacular in 1 Cor 7.
What I see is TRUTH in scripture, and I don't twist it around as I see fit to make IT fit my belief. Of course I believe I'm right because I am a workman that rightly divides the word of truth, as my signature implies. For some reason you think anyone who disagrees with you doesn't KNOW what they are talking about. How condescending is that? I have NO problem seeing truth in scripture, ALL of scripture. Cherry picking verse and then picking them apart is NOT how scripture works. I think you are to into your namesake instead of the Word of God.

God Bless you regardless.
I have never said that anyone who disagrees with me doesn't know what they are talking about. Strife begins when you start putting words into other's mouths. I certainly have not 'cherry picked' verses, but quoted several passages bearing on the topic, for which I was criticized. And no, all brides certainly are not virgins.

I have never said that anyone who disagrees with me doesn't know what they are talking about. Strife begins when you start putting words into other's mouths. I certainly have not 'cherry picked' verses, but quoted several passages bearing on the topic, for which I was criticized. And no, all brides certainly are not virgins.

No, I said that. You act it out in your posts. Like post 20. Plus instead of defending your position you equivocate then move onto other verses to make the waters even muddier. I responded to all your posts and questions but you have NOT reciprocated. Yes I did criticize the scripture your provided as OUT of context and not applicable and this further illustrates you don't like to be disagreed with. Strife begins when you REACT to another.
Then you end with another obfuscative AND equivocal statement that has NO bearing what-so-ever, in the context of the verses I was using. You should take your own advice Mr. D and stop posting on this thread.

NOT in the verse I quoted Aha. Maybe you should read it again, CAREFULLY.

Yes, I am aware I quoted Verse 2, while you are quoting Verse 9-10.
Because my understanding is the usage of “as” in Verse 2 is related to Verse 9-10

Revelation 21

Absolutely, Aha. The city is not called the Bride, it is prepared AS a Bride. The small details of words matter.

Just to clarify, what I mean by the question: "“as” is used in both?"

Noted that Paul described our relationship with Christ as that of a husband and wife…

It’s a good to note as well: why the angel refer to the holy city, New Jerusalem as the bride, the wife of the Lamb….

Last edited:
I'll quote myself:
So how could the Bride be the saints in this clear verse?:

In this verse it is quite clear the Bride of Christ is the New Jerusalem, not the saints at all, right?

Please explain how a pure bride can be "a mother" as declared 2000 years ago and yet a bride at Christ's return?

Let those who are inclined to cling to the tradition view that the church is the bride, and that the marriage is after Christ comes, and the saints are caught up to Heaven, answer the following questions:

1. Who are illustrated by the man found at the marriage, Matt. 22, not having on the wedding garment?

2. Will any be caught up by mistake, to be bound hand and foot, and be cast down to the earth again?

3. If the church is the wife, who are they that are called to the marriage as guests?

4. Jerusalem above is the mother of the children of promise; but if the church is the Lamb's wife, who are the children?

in interpreting bible symbolic language or a metaphor or a parable : are we limited to assign a symbol one is to one?

The reason i ask is that in John 10.... Jesus describes himself as the door and the good shepherd at the same time:

John 10
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Parable of the Good Shepherd

10 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter by the door into the fold of the sheep, but climbs up some other way, he is a thief and a robber. 2 But he who enters by the door is a shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice, and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. 4 When he puts forth all his own, he goes ahead of them, and the sheep follow him because they know his voice. 5 A stranger they simply will not follow, but will flee from him, because they do not know the voice of strangers.” 6 This figure of speech Jesus spoke to them, but they did not understand what those things were which He had been saying to them.
7 So Jesus said to them again, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. 8 All who came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. 9 I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and [a]have it abundantly.
11 “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand, and not a shepherd, who is not the owner of the sheep, sees the wolf coming, and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and is not concerned about the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd, and I know My own and My own know Me, 15 even as the Father knows Me and I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep. 16 I have other sheep, which are not of this fold; I must bring them also, and they will hear My voice; and they will become one flock with one shepherd. 17 For this reason the Father loves Me, because I lay down My life so that I may take it again. 18 No one has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again. This commandment I received from My Father.”

Yes, I am aware I quoted Verse 2, while you are quoting Verse 9-10.
Because my understanding is the usage of “as” in Verse 2 is related to Verse 9-10
Revelation 21

Yes they are related, and in v2, John comments on what He perceives, then in v9-10 the angel shows and tells Him what it is he sees.
Just to clarify, what I mean by the question: "“as” is used in both?"

Noted that Paul described our relationship with Christ as that of a husband and wife…

It’s a good to note as well: why the angel refer to the holy city, New Jerusalem as the bride, the wife of the Lamb….

Where is this description you say Paul made about us and Christ being husband and wife Aha?

No, I said that. You act it out in your posts. Like post 20. Plus instead of defending your position you equivocate then move onto other verses to make the waters even muddier. I responded to all your posts and questions but you have NOT reciprocated. Yes I did criticize the scripture your provided as OUT of context and not applicable and this further illustrates you don't like to be disagreed with. Strife begins when you REACT to another.
Then you end with another obfuscative AND equivocal statement that has NO bearing what-so-ever, in the context of the verses I was using. You should take your own advice Mr. D and stop posting on this thread.
Gladly I will oblige you.

Where is this description you say Paul made about us and Christ being husband and wife Aha?

In Ephesians 5; that is the impression on me on how Paul describe the role of husband and wife.
Why, what is your impression/ understanding of the one in red font?

Ephesians 5
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Be Imitators of God
5 Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; 2 and walk in love, just as Christ also loved [a]you and gave Himself up for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God as a fragrant aroma.
3 But immorality [c]or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among [d]saints; 4 and there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks. 5 For this you know with certainty, that no [e]immoral or impure person or covetous man, who is an idolater, has an inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God.
6 Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of these things the wrath of God comes upon the sons of disobedience. 7 Therefore do not be partakers with them; 8 for you were formerly darkness, but now you are Light in the Lord; walk as children of Light 9 (for the fruit of the Light consists in all goodness and righteousness and truth), 10 [f]trying to learn what is pleasing to the Lord. 11 Do not participate in the unfruitful deeds of darkness, but instead even [g]expose them; 12 for it is disgraceful even to speak of the things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things become visible when they are [h]exposed by the light, for everything that becomes visible is light. 14 For this reason it says,
“Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.”
15 Therefore [j]be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, 16 [k]making the most of your time, because the days are evil. 17 So then do not be foolish, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 18 And do not get drunk with wine, [l]for that is dissipation, but be filled with the Spirit, 19 speaking to [m]one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody with your heart to the Lord; 20 always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ to [n]God, even the Father; 21 [o]and be subject to one another in the [p]fear of Christ.

Marriage Like Christ and the Church
22 Wives, be subject to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife, as Christ also is the head of the church, He Himself being the Savior of the body. 24 But as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, 26 so that He might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 that He might present to Himself the church [q]in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless. 28 So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies. He who loves his own wife loves himself; 29 for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ also does the church, 30 because we are members of His body. 31 For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and shall be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh. 32 This mystery is great; but I am speaking with reference to Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless, each individual among you also is to love his own wife even as himself, and the wife must see to it that she [r]respects her husband.

Last edited:
Eph 5:32 is teaching that a person’s union with his or her own body is intimate and permanent, and marriage creates a similar union. Christ has joined the church to Himself through the bonds of the covenant He fulfilled, and this intimate union forms an analogy for Christian marriage.

I think your post # 19 already answered my question in #51

It is interesting to note the angel refer to the holy city, New Jerusalem as the bride, the wife….

Bride is “legally” in “ordinary human language/usage” is different from wife.

But it is the heart of the matter what matters, I think : )

Thus, if already a wife? How Jesus parables related to a marriage then?

Matthew 25:1-13 Parable of Ten Virgins
Matthew 22 Parable of the Marriage Feast

Last edited:
Back