Who Wrote The Book Of Hebrews

I noticed a thread asking who wrote the book of Hebrews well, I might get in trouble for this but here goes. Paul the Apostle did!

Introduction: There has been a lot of controversy over who wrote the book of Hebrews, however the reason for the controversy is just plain unbelief. If you believe the Authorized King James Bible 1611 is the perfect, preserved word of God, then there should be no question about who wrote Hebrews, because the book title tells you who wrote it.
If you are a King James Bible believer, then the question is how much of the KJV do you believe? Which one of the following statements do you believe?

a.I believe the English text as it stands in the KJV including the italicized words, the punctuation, the paragraph marks, the book titles and the endings in the books of Paul is the perfect, preserved word of God.
b. I believe the English text as it stands in the KJV including the italicized words, but excluding the punctuation, the paragraph marks, and the book titles, etc.
c. I believe the English text as it stands in the KJV, excluding the italicized words, the punctuation, the paragraph marks and the book titles, etc.
I know that some of you reading this may also believe some variations of the above statements. The point is if God can inspire and preserve his words in a book, why can't He inspire and preserve everything that pertains to what He said? For example, the italicized words, the book titles, the paragraph marks, the punctuation and the endings in the books of Paul. Here are some proofs for the book title "THE EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE HEBREWS"
Now I'm going to give you seven reasons why the writer of the book of Hebrews is the Apostle Paul.
1.The Devil always questions the word of God, just like he did in the Garden of Eden. Now who do you think would throw doubt on the authorship of Hebrews? I'll give you two guesses and the first two don't count. If you haven't gotten it yet, here is a list of the KJV bibles and corrupt bibles I have and how they handle the Hebrews book title. Cambridge, Oxford, Old Scofield, Riverside Book and Bible House Publishers, Collin's, Holman and World bible publishers bible 929 HAS "THE EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE HEBREWS". My New Scofield, Royal publishers KJV bible, Modern Language, Living Bible, RSV, Nelson's Open Bible, NASV, Williams, Beck, New English Bible, Amplified, Good News for Modern Man, New World Translation, NIV and Phillips all leave out "Paul" as the writer of Hebrews. Also my Trinitarian Bible Society Greek Text and my Interlinear Greek N.T., by G.R. Berry has "THE EPISTLE OF PAUL THE APOSTLE TO THE HEBREWS", but my Nestle-Aland Greek N.T. leaves out the Apostle Paul as the writer of Hebrews! Birds of a feather flock together, You are known by the company you keep. Who would confuse people about what God said? If you don't know who was the writer of Hebrews yet, then look at number 2.
2.This question of the Hebrews book title was being kicked around back in 1981 at PBI and although I believed the "book titles" in the AV were right, I asked Bro. Ruckman about it anyway along with some other questions about the AV on paper and he wrote me back: "The book headings are in the "original edition" (see any photostatic copy of any original)" He was referring to his "original" edition of the AV.
I also asked if the book headings were in the Greek manuscripts. He wrote: "There were book headings in some of the manuscripts, but more important there were book headings in nearly all the ancient versions (Latin and Syrian) also the bibles of the Waldenses and Albigenses had the headings many times." Got it yet? Yes, No, OK, here's number 3.
3.Some say that2 Thess. 3:17 refers to the book title so Paul couldn't have written Hebrews, but notice what the verse SAYS! 2 Th 3:17 The salutation of Paul with mine own hand, which is the token in every epistle: so I write.
NOTICE the ":" (colon) Then he writes his Salutation2 Th 3:18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
Also in1 Cor 16:21 The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand.(Then he writes it)1 Cor 16:22 If any man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha.
1 Cor 16:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.
1 Cor 16:24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.
Again in Col 4:18The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen. His Salutation is at the end of the above sentences.
Now look at the same thing at the end of Hebrews:Heb 13:25 Grace be with you all. Amen."Who" does that verse read like? I'll give you one guess.
He said in 2 Thess. 3:17that his salutation was his token in EVERY epistle he wrote, so comparing scripture with SCRIPTURE (not translator's opinions) we have to believe that Paul's salutation was at the end of his books.
4.Here are 5 reasons from the book of Hebrews that Paul wrote it.
a.Whoever wrote it was a Jew. See "us" inHeb. 1:2,Paul was a Jew, but so was all the rest of the writers.
b.Whoever wrote it identifies himself with Timothy,Heb. 13:23, Paul does, Luke doesn't in his writings.
c.Whoever wrote it has been in prison,Heb. 10:34compared to Heb. 13:19, something was keeping Paul from coming to them. Was Luke in prison?
d.Whoever wrote it has a style like Paul, Heb. 13:1.
e. Paul could have writtenHebrewsat Sanai. BetweenActs 9:22 and 23, see Gal. 1:17;4:25.
Do you believe Paul wrote Hebrews yet? Hmmm ... you're a hard fellow to convince, OK, let's look at number 5 then.
5.This is from Dr. Linton M. Smith Jr. on the Hebrews book title from his study of Hebrews with Dr. Greg Estep.
Matthew - takes you from the OT to the New Testament. Acts- takes from the Jew to the Gentile. Hebrews- take you back to the Jew.
The next seven epistles are in essence primarily written by Jewish apostles. James is written by the brother of John before Acts 12 where James is beheaded. John is also a Hebrew epistle, written by the apostle John. Peter written by the apostle to the Jews.
The book of Hebrews is located in the right place. What if God had stuck it somewhere betweenICorinthiansand Galatians? It's in the right place chronologically. How would you like to have Hebrews 10:26put on you in regard to salvation? We would all be lost! I mean, "Whatsoever is not of faith is sin", "to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not, to him it is sin", " the thought of foolishness is sin".
Notice the exaltation of the Son in the book of Hebrews. It's obvious that whoever wrote the book, is really trying to get the Jew to see that the Son is better that everything.
Notice: vs. 1 "God spoke about him by the prophets" vs. 2 "He was in the beginning" vs. 2 "God spoke by Him" vs. 2 " he's the heir of all things" vs. 2 "he made all the worlds" vs. 3 he's the brightness of God's glory" vs, 3 he's the image of God vs. 3 he upholds all things by his word vs. 3 he purged our sins vs. 3 he sat down on the right hand of God and finished the work vs. 3 he has the highest seat in eternity next to the father vs. 4 he's made so much better that the angels vs. 4 he has a more excellent name than all the angels
It's just all through the book of Hebrews like that.
The book is written by Paul
The book has thirteen chapters
Believe it or not, it's written by the thirteenth apostle, Paul!
Hebrews has thirteen (13) chapters, three-hundred and three (303) verses, and six-thousand and nine-hundred and thirteen (6,913) words. It is the fourteenth book in the index listing. Fourteen is the number of deliverance. There is only one way a Jew is going to get delivered in the tribulation; he's going to have to pay attention to this book.
Hebrews is written in the classical style of Greek, while his other writings are in the common style of Greek. If you compare these verses, however, you'll find they're very similar to Paul's other writings.
Hebrews 12:3 matches Galatians 6:9
Hebrews 12:14 matches Romans 12:18
Hebrews 13:1-3 matches Ephesians 5:2-4
Hebrews 13:16 matches Philippians 4:18
Hebrews 5:12 matches I Corinthians 3:2
Hebrews 8:1 matches Ephesians 1:20
Now the following is Dr. Ruckman's theory, and I believe he's right.
It looks like Hebrews 1-12 is written very early, maybe even before Paul receives the revelation of the mystery of the Jew and Gentile in one body. It is evident that there is very little about the body at all. The "church" is only mentioned twice in the whole book. That just doesn't sound like Paul, unless he wrote it right after he got saved. Paul was saved seventeen years when he wrote his first epistle to the Thessalonians. Remember when Paul first got saved? His first desire was to win the Jew. Chances are that's when he wrote the book of Hebrews.
Then Hebrews 13 is written later. It sound just like Paul's other writings. Regardless of who the man was that wrote it, God wrote it!
There is no commentary on this book that is dispensational, besides Dr. Ruckman's.
Do you give up yet?

KJB.jpg
KJB.jpg

Well here's number 6.
6.I wrote Rev. Terence H. Brown, secretary of the Trinitarian Bible Society and asked if the book headings were in the "Received Text" or any other manuscripts?
He said, "The "Received Text" (Elzevir 1633) has the heading (in Greek) "The Epistle to the Hebrews", but the AV translation was translation was published in 1611. Earlier printed editions of the Greek such as Stephen's 1551 in which the Greek is accompanied by the Latin translations of Erasmas and the Vulgate, have the heading in Greek and Latin - "The Epistle of Paul to the Hebrews". Some manuscripts have "To the Hebrews" and some include the name of the apostle." He also said in another question: "The AV translators followed the titles formerly used by Tyndale, Coverdale, the Great Bible, the Geneva Bible and the Bishops' Bible.
If you haven't believed that Paul wrote the book of Hebrews yet then I'll give you one more chance, here'snumber 7.
7. This is from brother Wei Kang (Kevin) Tsai with my editing.
Paul couldn't put his own name to the book of Hebrews because of his association with us unclean Gentiles which had made him an outcast among his own people.
If you will look at the footer (that is the small writings at the end of all of Paul's epistles as noted below) you will see that the only books in the NT that has the footer is the Pauline epistles (all of them) and the book of Hebrews.
That shows you that Paul wrote Hebrews.
Ro 16:27To God only wise, be glory through Jesus Christ for ever. Amen.
>>Written to the Romans from Corinthus, and sent by Phebe servant of the church at Cenchrea.>>
1Co 16:24 My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.
<<The first epistle to the Corinthians was written from Philippi by Stephanas and
Fortunatus and Achaicus and Timotheus.>>
2Co 13:14 The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Ghost, be with you all. Amen.
<<The second epistle to the Corinthians was written from Philippi, a city of Macedonia, by Titus and Lucas.>>
Gal 6:18 Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
<<To the Galatians written from Rome.>>
Eph 6:24 Grace be with all them that love our Lord Jesus Christ in sincerity. Amen.
<<To the Ephesians written from Rome, by Tychicus.>>
Phil 4:23 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
<<To the Philippians written from Rome, by Epaphroditus.>>
Col 4:18 The salutation by the hand of me Paul. Remember my bonds. Grace be with you. Amen.
<<Written from Rome to Colossians by Tychicus and Onesimus.>>
1Th 5:28 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.
<<The first epistle to the Thessalonians was written from Athens.>>
2Th 3:18 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.
<<The second epistle to the Thessalonians was written from Athens.>>
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.
<<The first to Timothy was written from Laodicea, which is the chiefest city of Phrygia Pacatiana.>>
Tit 3:15 All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen.
<<It was written to Titus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Cretians, from Nicopolis of Macedonia.>>
Phm 1:25 The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit. Amen.
<<Written from Rome to Philemon, by Onesimus a servant.>>
Heb 13:25 Grace be with you all. Amen.
<<Written to the Hebrews from Italy, by Timothy.>>
Now brethren, if by now, you can't see that Paul was the writer of the book of Hebrews, then it's because you don't want to because of some preconceived idea that you are trying to teach. So I guess the Lord will have to straighten you out at the Judgment Seat of Christ!

Tommy H. Heffner Sr.Shalom!

Isn't the picture of that old Bible lovely.
By the way, I cannot understand why anyone would want to disagree with you and thank you also for all the hard work you have put into it. :)

William...........It is a moot point!

The fact is that it exists, not who wrote it. IF it mattered, we would have been told.

There was a thread from someone who wanted the writer to be Lazarus and then said that John did not write John. His theology was questionable at best so the thread never proceded.

I saw the thread about who wrote the Book of Hebrews then, I remembered my present post as being the answer. All I was doing was trying to clarify the question to the original thread. I remembered seeing the name of Paul on the first page of Hebrews and I kind of take that to be truth. Therefore we were told in the KJV 1611 Bible.

I believe that in the latter versions this info was left out just to cause that very question. This info was included in a number of the earliest translations.

William...........It is a moot point!

The fact is that it exists, not who wrote it. IF it mattered, we would have been told.

There was a thread from someone who wanted the writer to be Lazarus and then said that John did not write John. His theology was questionable at best so the thread never proceded.

Major I started that thread as a matter of interest to those who would be. The point is NOT moot, it exists and David Allen's book is the best on the subject. Here is a review of the book.

I also proposed that Lazarus wrote the Gospel of John, and here is one of the reasons.

Seems your memory is much worse than mine.

I tend to agree that Paul wrote the book of Hebrews but most Bible scholars agree that we dont really know. The real author is the Holy Spirit who worked through an author.

What I find incredible is that if we understand Leviticus correctly then Hebrews is easier to understand.

Back