Why are there so many churches?

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Ok, here comes another question. I was raised a Roman Catholic and went through all of the requirements that come with that denomination. While I lost my faith in my early 20s, I have attended various churches of various denominations and have found them all interesting. Now, as I regain my faith, I am working towards a better understanding of what is it that I need to understand.

So, why are there so many denominations? One article I read notes that there are over 40,000 churches and that has always confused me.

Now, from what I have been reading, it appears that Jesus founded the first church (The Church of Christ), as described in the New Testament, and that He paid for that with His blood (Matthew 16:10, Acts 2:38-47). All other churches are considered “man-made,” to include the Catholic Church, which was structured similar to the Roman empire.

In a YouTube presentation I watched (Shank, M. (2011). Why are there so many Churches?), the following were the requirements listed, to be a member of the original Church of Christ.

Meet on the 1st day of the week (Acts 20;7)
Sing a Capella (Eph 5;19, Col 3;16)
Pray and study the Bible together (Acts 2;42)
Help the church each week (1 Cor 16:12)
Christ is the only head (Eph 5:33-23)
Churches composed of elders, deacons, evangelists and members (Phil 1:1)
Abide only in the doctrine of Christ (2 John 9)
Casting away man-made doctrine and creeds (Mar 7:7.1 and Cor 16:1-2)
We are Christians only (Act 11:26)

So, based on my interpretation (subject to mortification my people way smarted than me on these issues), belonging to a non-denominational church is the right answer to the question I did not ask.

Looking forward to guidance

rtm3039

Ok, here comes another question. I was raised a Roman Catholic and went through all of the requirements that come with that denomination. While I lost my faith in my early 20s, I have attended various churches of various denominations and have found them all interesting. Now, as I regain my faith, I am working towards a better understanding of what is it that I need to understand.

So, why are there so many denominations? One article I read notes that there are over 40,000 churches and that has always confused me.

Now, from what I have been reading, it appears that Jesus founded the first church (The Church of Christ), as described in the New Testament, and that He paid for that with His blood (Matthew 16:10, Acts 2:38-47). All other churches are considered “man-made,” to include the Catholic Church, which was structured similar to the Roman empire.

In a YouTube presentation I watched (Shank, M. (2011). Why are there so many Churches?), the following were the requirements listed, to be a member of the original Church of Christ.

Meet on the 1st day of the week (Acts 20;7)
Sing a Capella (Eph 5;19, Col 3;16)
Pray and study the Bible together (Acts 2;42)
Help the church each week (1 Cor 16:12)
Christ is the only head (Eph 5:33-23)
Churches composed of elders, deacons, evangelists and members (Phil 1:1)
Abide only in the doctrine of Christ (2 John 9)
Casting away man-made doctrine and creeds (Mar 7:7.1 and Cor 16:1-2)
We are Christians only (Act 11:26)

So, based on my interpretation (subject to mortification my people way smarted than me on these issues), belonging to a non-denominational church is the right answer to the question I did not ask.

Looking forward to guidance

rtm3039

The right answer brother is to belong to the congregation that the Holy Spirit leads you to.

If it is a Bible teaching church that shows YOU that they are loving and friendly and teach the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ then you will know you are where you should be.

1 Corinthians 14:33 King James Version (KJV)
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

That is your clue that denominations are not from God. It does not mean those churches all worship something else, it only means that something else wants to confuse everybody. The cure for confusion is to stop letting other people tell you what the bible says and study it yourself. Sure, you'll get a few things wrong at first. But at least when you study by yourself God gets a chance to work with you.

Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place by just looking at a calendar. There is no religion or nothing in Proverbs and you don't have to believe anything. Just read to find wisdom. When you are comfortable with that, then read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians.

1 Corinthians 14:33 King James Version (KJV)
33 For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

That is your clue that denominations are not from God. It does not mean those churches all worship something else, it only means that something else wants to confuse everybody. The cure for confusion is to stop letting other people tell you what the bible says and study it yourself. Sure, you'll get a few things wrong at first. But at least when you study by yourself God gets a chance to work with you.

Read a chapter of Proverbs every day. Proverbs has 31 chapters so you can keep your place by just looking at a calendar. There is no religion or nothing in Proverbs and you don't have to believe anything. Just read to find wisdom. When you are comfortable with that, then read the bible from Romans to 2 Thessalonians over and over until you start to remember what it says. That is the part that applies to Christians.

Saul Mine, thank you. This is clear guidance and I appreciate this.

Have a great and blessed week.

rtm3039

FWIW I was banned from another site for quoting that verse. The other forumites felt that I was insulting them!

Hey Saul; we are blessed with the gain. Thank you for being a part of Christian Forum Site.

How can someone be banned from a Christian site? I thought that your guidance was right on point and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to post it. Thank you. rtm3039

Hello Ray; I appreciate your always encouraging others, sprinkling a little salt goes a long way with each other.

God bless you, brothers.

Hey Saul; we are blessed with the gain. Thank you for being a part of Christian Forum Site.

Hello Ray; I appreciate your always encouraging others, sprinkling a little salt goes a long way with each other.

God bless you, brothers.
Thank you, brother bobinfaith. I have a great deal to catch up on. Of these things, being kind and praising the knowledge of others is but on one of the many things I want to do.

Bless you back. :)

How can someone be banned from a Christian site? I thought that your guidance was right on point and I appreciate the fact that you took the time to post it. Thank you.

rtm3039

Well, that didn't come out right. The post was deleted and I got a nastygram and I removed the link from my bookmarks.

A pastor once told me that the most memorable thing he had learned about running a church was SHEEP BITE! I have been searching for weeks and only found two sites where people claiming to be Christians actually try to be polite to each other.

I greatly appreciate the company here because I have been a Christian for 45 years and this is the first congregation I have found where I wanted to learn to behave like the members.

A pastor once told me that the most memorable thing he had learned about running a church was SHEEP BITE! I have been searching for weeks and only found two sites where people claiming to be Christians actually try to be polite to each other.

I greatly appreciate the company here because I have been a Christian for 45 years and this is the first congregation I have found where I wanted to learn to behave like the members.

Saul Mine

Well, I for one, can tell you that the mean in me has worn itself out. I look forward to as much drama free days as I can get.

rtm3039

Jesus gives peace that passeth all understanding. He passes on all understanding.
It is human to misunderstand each other. It is divine to understand because the Holy spirit is the spirit of wisdom and understanding.

You will notice a peace and that all your questions will be answered and any troubles you have will be comforted. Why because Jesus always tells us the truth.

I know what its like to be in the dark and have people tell you lies or omit the truth its very frustrating because then I dont understand anything, and I have no peace and feel confused. Sometimes its like when Job had all this bad stuff happen and he didnt know why. All his 'comforters' tried to explain why but nothing made sense to Job. So Job asked God and He answered, and not in the way he expected but in a way that gave Job peace.

Hello, Saul;

Well said. Thank you for your post and for being a blessing to all of us.

God bless you and your family.

The right answer brother is to belong to the congregation that the Holy Spirit leads you to. If it is a Bible teaching church that shows YOU that they are loving and friendly and teach the Scriptures that Jesus is the Christ then you will know you are where you should be.

Hello Pastor;

Here is a thought I wanted to share with you. Do we have too many churches in one community for the wrong reasons? Instead of 50 small churches, wouldn't it be wise to consolidate some of these churches and merge for (a lack of better word) practical reasons?

What are your thoughts? I always enjoy reading your posts.

God bless you, Major, and your family.

Hello Pastor;

Here is a thought I wanted to share with you. Do we have too many churches in one community for the wrong reasons? Instead of 50 small churches, wouldn't it be wise to consolidate some of these churches and merge for (a lack of better word) practical reasons?

Yes, I'd like to read that opinion myself. The church I belong to is huge (10,000 strong). However, I am so happy that it still makes me feel like I am at home. I think that one of the ways they pull it off is by their use of small groups and the sub-communities build up volunteering. As I have already note, I am now a member of the church's security team. While numbering over 200 across all seven campuses, the group that deals security for my campus (Palmetto Bay) is small enough that I have met almost every member. Also, they have their own small group (bible study) that meets on Tuesdays

I think what brings all of this together is the lead pasture. Pastor Rick is nothing less than amazing. His faith is palpable. His sermons come from a place I can't describe. Hopefully, placing a link to today's sermon is permissible (if not, I am sure I will know soon enough). If you have the time, just watch this guy do his thing: https://cfonline.cfmiami.org/english/on-demand/book/acts/series/234/service/803/

Amy way., looking forward to the feedback on the original question. For the record, I don't think churches need to be merged, as it appears each has its own personality that is as unique as the membership.

rtm3039

Hello Pastor;

Practical shmactical! The book of Acts records that in the beginning Christians met in someone's home. Having any number of small churches was not enough of a problem to mention. Only the anti-christ wants everybody in one big church.

Practical shmactical! The book of Acts records that in the beginning Christians met in someone's home. Having any number of small churches was not enough of a problem to mention. Only the anti-christ wants everybody in one big church.

Saul Mine, can you elaborate on your closing comment? "Only the anti-christ wants everybody in one big church. "

rtm3039

Back