Why Benazir Bhutto's Assassination Matters ?

Dusty

Inactive
Why Benazir Bhutto's Assassination Matters ?

Why Benazir Bhutto's Assassination Matters?

Former Pakistani Prime Minister Benazir Bhutto was assassinated December 27 by Islamic radicals. A leading pro-democracy and pro-Westerner political reformer in the Muslim world, Bhutto had just finished addressing a campaign rally of supporters in the Pakistani city of Rawalpindi. Jihadists opened fire on the once and possibly future premier using automatic weapons, hitting her in the neck and chest. A suicide bomber then blew himself up at site, leaving Bhutto dead and killing at least 20 others.

The attack is certainly another tragedy for Bhutto's family (her father, who was premier in the late 1970s, was hanged by radicals in 1979) and we should be praying for their peace and comfort during this difficult time. But why else does Bhutto's death matter?

To be blunt: Pakistan and her nuclear weapons are in danger of falling into the hands of Islamic radicals. Such radicals have attempted to assassinate Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf multiple times in the last few years, hoping to seize control of the government and impose Sharia [Islamic] law. Today's attack is a sobering reminder that Pakistan is just one coup d'etat away from Osama bin Laden or one of his fanatical, murderous allies suddenly gaining control. It is difficult to imagine a more nightmarish scenario than Al-Qaeda in possession of Pakistan's nuclear arsensal, but this is not an impossibility.

For several years, and certainly throughout 2007, Musharraf has been severely criticized by Western leaders—including those here in Washington DC—for imposing martial law and employing other heavy-handed tactics in an attempt to crush the radicals and safeguard the country from their control. He has deserved some of this criticism, but we must also keep things in perspective.

While we all want Pakistan to become a fully-developed democracy—peaceful, prosperous and healthy in all respects—we must be very careful never to underestimate the danger that Musharraf and his colleagues are in from the radicals. They are in a battle not just for the soul but the very survival of their country. I personally have serious concerns about how truly committed Musharraf is to Jeffersonian democracy. But I do not believe that he is the worst-case scenario for Pakistan. Bin Laden (or bid Laden-ism) is the worst case scenario.

Let us, therefore, take great pains not repeat the mistakes that President Jimmy Carter made in the late-1970s when he pressed so hard for democracy and human rights in Iran that the Shah [Leader] eventually was forced to flee the country and the Ayatollah Khomeini took over. As deeply flawed as the Shah was, can anyone effectively argue today that Khomeini was better for the people of Iran, the people of the epicenter, or the world at large?

(By Joel C. Rosenberg, December 27, 2007)

Prayer Focus
Pray for the Bhutto family. Pray that the Lord will protect the Pakistani people and hinder the terrorist attempts to gain control and access to nuclear weapons.

Scripture
“When I cry out to You, then my enemies will turn back; this I know, because God is for me” (Psalm 56:9).

A great loss.
I wonder. She was very outspoken against the current government of her country. Are we completely sure who killed her?
Just a thought.
Another thought. Isnt Pakistan where the Afghani refugees are staying? Will THEY ever get a chance for peace? Will they ever get a break? Or will the violence spread to the refugee camp?
Who knows?

Yes Fluffy....

All those unanswered questions. It is such a tragedy to think this woman could have done so much good in stabalizing the country. But I heard on the news that her 19 yr old son is going to take up the task in honour of his mother.

It almost seems similar to all the tragedy that happened in the Kennedy family.

Alqueda was claiming respnsibility. She representd democracy and had a genuine love for the people just the opposite if those rats.

Bhutto's son is being educated here in England at Oxford, and I am concerned for his safety.
I dont know if he will resume his studies, he is still only 19 and talks with an english accent!
I pray he comes into contact with the Gospel, and he hears and believes, only God can turn this mess around.

Amen Jax I am praying in agreement with you!

Back