Why Did Jesus Say " Glorify Thy Name ?"

Dusty

Inactive
Why Did Jesus Say " Glorify Thy Name ?"

John 12:27-28

27"Now my heart is troubled, and what shall I say? 'Father, save me from this hour'? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour.
28Father, glorify your name!"

What do you think Jesus meant when he said glorify thy name ?

When He said Father , glorify your name , He wanted us to know His purpose for dying on the cross ...... that His death would bring glory to the Father .

The word " glory " ( NIV dictionary ) in hebrew " Kabod " means the " weight " and therefore the "worth" of something as we speak of someone who " carries weight ".

The glory of God is the worthiness of God .... the presence pf God in the fullness of his attributes in some place or everywhere.

To demonstrate and to manifest the divine. (Exodus 16:7; 24:16) In other words, glory represents the Lord’s presence.

During Christ’s lifetime, He manifested the Father’s image perfectly; whether sharing the Father’s Love to the Samaritan woman at the well and His compassion to the children He taught, or His Godly exhortation to His disciples and His rebuke to the Pharisees. In whatever Christ did, He glorified the Father. (John 17:1, 4-5; 13:31; 14:13)
And this is the exact mission and purpose that Christ has for us. We are to glorify Him in all that we do. (John 15:8) “I will glorify Thy Name for evermore.”

Glory, then, seems to be the vehicle that conveys and reveals the true presence of God. In Scripture, glory means possession of the character, beauty and majesty that belong to the Lord. It means an exact representation of His being. It means reflecting His presence, His essence, His Life and His Name. Thus, to glorify God is to manifest all that God is. It’s showing forth His Self and not our own. (John 14:13; 16:14) It’s His glory brought to light in us. (John 11:4; 17:1, 5)

Godbe4me

John 8:54 Jesus answered, If I glorify myself, my glory is nothing: it is my Father that glorifieth me; of whom ye say, that he is your God; (ASV) Psalms 50:23 Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. (KJV ASV DBY WBS)
John 12:28 Father, glorify your name!" Then there came a voice out of the
sky, saying, "I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again." (WEB WEY). ...

So to me and thanks godbe4me for you thoughts ... OUr God deserves all the honour and all the glory . There is none like Him . Even Jesus as He submitted Himself on that cruel cross for us humbled Himself to give God the Glory .

He is worthy of our praise and glory .

Jesus is the "brightness of the Father's glory"

Back