Why Do We Call The Messiah Jesus?

It appears that throughout the Bible, an individuals name is very important. Sometimes the lord would even change a persons name, and it always meant something significant. It seems that it has been historically proven that Christ's name was not Jesus. So why do we still call him that? Just because it's something we grew up saying?

"Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it."

He says we can ask for anything in his name and he will do it. Percentage wise, how many times have you asked him to do something, and he did it for you? Could it be because we are not using his name?

Here are some reasons I can find in the bible as to why prayers are not answered, or not answered in someones favor (since some might say God always answers, sometimes the answer is no):

• Doubt - "But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord."
  • Wrong motives - "When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures."
  • Not Asking in His name? - You may ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it.
  • Cherishing sin in heart - If I had cherished sin in my heart,
    the Lord would not have listened
  • Disrespecting your wife - Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect as the weaker partner and as heirs with you of the gracious gift of life, so that nothing will hinder your prayers.
  • Lack of faith - Jesus was constantly telling his disciples they weren't able to perform some type of miracle because their lack of faith. "And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him."
  • Ignoring his commandments - If anyone turns a deaf ear to my instruction,
    even their prayers are detestable.

Au contraire... Jesus is His Name in English. In Hebrew it's Yeshua (phonetically). The first time the root word of His Name is used is in this verse:

Exodus 14:30 (KJV)
Thus the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore.

ישׁע - Yasha`
to save, be saved, be delivered
a. (Niphal)
1. to be liberated, be saved, be delivered
2. to be saved (in battle), be victorious
b. (Hiphil)
1. to save, deliver
2. to save from moral troubles
3. to give victory to

Jesus in Hebrew is ישׁוע notice the extra letter from the word above: ו It is the letter vav. It is the sixth letter and holds the numerical value of six. What is cool about this is that it is the number of man, and what Man "saves" us? So cool! There's more but I have to go to work. Until this evening :)

This is a great subject! Asking in the name of Jesus is probably mostly misunderstood.. Many take it as a magical formula.. It is not.. It would be good to understand what does it mean to say "in the name of Jesus".. It is about praying with authority that Jesus has.. And also the privileges we have as His son.. Let's take this example.. We see a guy running around with a gun.. We cannot ask him to put the guns down in the name of law.. Unless we are a cop! Unless we don't have that authority or relationship with law, we cannot simply claim things in the name of law.. The authority should be given to us..

Same goes for our prayers.. When we ask it in the name of Jesus, we should ask with the given authority as children of God.. It is like we are approaching Father using Jesus's name.. That does not mean, we can ask anything.. Going back to the example, cops are given specific authority.. They have to confide to the regulations.. Same way, we are to ask in accordance with His will.. remember, Jesus did everything according to Father's will.. So we should ask things in His will and in the name of Jesus..

When that is not the case, the prayers are not going to be answered..

Au contraire... Jesus is His Name in English. In Hebrew it's Yeshua (phonetically). The first time the root word of His Name is used is in this verse:

Exodus 14:30 (KJV)
Thus the LORD saved Israel that day out of the hand of the Egyptians; and Israel saw the Egyptians dead upon the sea shore.

ישׁע - Yasha`
to save, be saved, be delivered
a. (Niphal)
1. to be liberated, be saved, be delivered
2. to be saved (in battle), be victorious
b. (Hiphil)
1. to save, deliver
2. to save from moral troubles
3. to give victory to

Jesus in Hebrew is ישׁוע notice the extra letter from the word above: ו It is the letter vav. It is the sixth letter and holds the numerical value of six. What is cool about this is that it is the number of man, and what Man "saves" us? So cool! There's more but I have to go to work. Until this evening :)
This is a great subject! Asking in the name of Jesus is probably mostly misunderstood.. Many take it as a magical formula.. It is not.. It would be good to understand what does it mean to say "in the name of Jesus".. It is about praying with authority that Jesus has.. And also the privileges we have as His son.. Let's take this example.. We see a guy running around with a gun.. We cannot ask him to put the guns down in the name of law.. Unless we are a cop! Unless we don't have that authority or relationship with law, we cannot simply claim things in the name of law.. The authority should be given to us..

Same goes for our prayers.. When we ask it in the name of Jesus, we should ask with the given authority as children of God.. It is like we are approaching Father using Jesus's name.. That does not mean, we can ask anything.. Going back to the example, cops are given specific authority.. They have to confide to the regulations.. Same way, we are to ask in accordance with His will.. remember, Jesus did everything according to Father's will.. So we should ask things in His will and in the name of Jesus..

When that is not the case, the prayers are not going to be answered..

Abba is not really English, I believe its aramaic, and they didn't change that. So why would they change His name? For example if your name is Ravindran, thats your name. I can't just say well since you're in California we call people with the name Ravindran, "burrito head." You would tell us no, thats not my name, its Ravindran.

The name Yeshua has meaning, as abdicate pointed out. And some argue the name Jesus is actually a hybrid of the Roman demigod Zeus. Maybe this is true, maybe its not.. One thing we know for sure is that his actual name was Yeshua, so why call him anything else?

I would think it is important to try and be as accurate as possible, because when we examine the attributes of God, it matters. If it doesn't matter then we mine as well all put coexist bumper stickers on our cars. It would be like saying, "I believe in Christ" and another guy saying "I believe in Allah" and then saying "Okay great we both believe in God, we just give him a different name"

But details matters. Just look what happened to Uzzah. It seems his heart was in the right place, he was just trying to catch the ark when the oxen stumbled. But what did God do about that?

"When they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen stumbled. The Lord's anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died there beside the ark of God."

Romans 8:26 says that the Holy Spirit will intercede for me when I don't know how to pray. I believe this to be true even if I mispronounce Jesus' name. I end my prayers something like, ".....and most of all, thank you God for the gift of Your Son, Jesus, and it is in His name I say these things. Amen."

I'm covered.

Greetings;

I'm with you always....who......The Holy Ghost(Jn 16:13) has told us in millions and millions of book copies.
Aside 1)I now call you friends..

bye

Abba is not really English, I believe its aramaic, and they didn't change that. So why would they change His name? For example if your name is Ravindran, thats your name. I can't just say well since you're in California we call people with the name Ravindran, "burrito head." You would tell us no, thats not my name, its Ravindran.

The name Yeshua has meaning, as abdicate pointed out. And some argue the name Jesus is actually a hybrid of the Roman demigod Zeus. Maybe this is true, maybe its not.. One thing we know for sure is that his actual name was Yeshua, so why call him anything else?

I would think it is important to try and be as accurate as possible, because when we examine the attributes of God, it matters. If it doesn't matter then we mine as well all put coexist bumper stickers on our cars. It would be like saying, "I believe in Christ" and another guy saying "I believe in Allah" and then saying "Okay great we both believe in God, we just give him a different name"

But details matters. Just look what happened to Uzzah. It seems his heart was in the right place, he was just trying to catch the ark when the oxen stumbled. But what did God do about that?

"When they came to the threshing floor of Nacon, Uzzah reached out and took hold of the ark of God, because the oxen stumbled. The Lord's anger burned against Uzzah because of his irreverent act; therefore God struck him down and he died there beside the ark of God."
Why do we call the capital of Italy, Rome? It's Roma. It is what it is.

Jesus, Yeshua, Son of God has many names...

Isaiah 7:14 (KJV)
Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.

Isaiah 9:6 (KJV)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

Matthew 1:23 (KJV)
Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

Matthew 1:16 (KJV)
And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Some are titles really and not names like Christ which means Anointed One - aka Messiah.

Back