Why Do We Speak In Tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael
What verses are you talking about?

Galatians 3:2

I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard?

Acts 11:14-16

14He will bring you a message through which you and all your household will be saved.'
15"As I began to speak, the Holy Spirit came on them as he had come on us at the beginning. 16Then I remembered what the Lord had said: 'John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.'

The verse I mentioned earlier showed it can't be the same thing or it could not happen at a different time.

Now that doesn't mean that a person can't hear the gospel believe in the Lord and repent in their heart,( which means they are now a believer - saved) and then immediately after that be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptizes us with the Holy Spirit as was mentioned in a verse earlier, and you can't recieve a gift from Jesus if you do not believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior. This is the promise of the Father and He does not give the Holy Spirit baptism to someone who is not His Child. See what I'm saying? :)

The verse I mentioned earlier showed it can't be the same thing or it could not happen at a different time.

Now that doesn't mean that a person can't hear the gospel believe in the Lord and repent in their heart,( which means they are now a believer - saved) and then immediately after that be baptized with the Holy Spirit.

Jesus baptized us with the Holy Spirit as was mentioned in a verse earlier, and you can't recieve a gift from Jesus if you do not believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior. This is promise of the Father and He does not give the Holy Spirit baptism to someone who is not His Child. See what I'm saying? :)

You have explained it very well . those who received the holy spirit like in the beginning must have been prepared in advance by God . and when they heard Peter speak they believed . and as Peter said .. baptized with the holy spirit . at salvation .

When they heard Paul telling about all this they believed too. Then they were open and yielded, and were baptised with the Holy Spirit.

It also seems those with so much education have to analize everything and disect it and are not as accepting ... and don't jump on me ... nothing wrong with intelligence :smiley160:. But when we see people with little or no education having great faith and acceptance that I am thinking of the verse where Jesus says " except we become like little children ......

It also seems those with so much education have to analize everything and disect it and are not as accepting ... and don't jump on me ... nothing wrong with intelligence :smiley160:. But when we see people with little or no education having great faith and acceptance that I am thinking of the verse where Jesus says " except we become like little children ......

The Lord made it simple so that anyone can be saved and know Him. He uses things that do not make sense to our natural mind to show that everything with Him is by the power of His Spirit and not our intellect. That can sometimes hinder us to try to figure God out. He can't be figured out, He is way beyond our comprehesion.

1 Corinthians 1:27
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.
Corinthians 1:27

Edit:
Oh darn... Somebody beat me to it...

The Lord made it simple so that anyone can be saved and know Him. He uses things that do not make sense to our natural mind to show that everything with Him is by the power of His Spirit and not our intellect. That can sometimes hinder us to try to figure God out. He can't be figured out, He is way beyond our comprehesion.

1 Corinthians 1:27
But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; 28And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are

1 Corinthians 2:14
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

Yes , amen ... And our acceptance needs to be by the faith of a little child who does not falter or waver . It need not be complicated .

I have read around that it is ungodly for women to speak in tongues?

Speaking in Tongues | Bible.org - Worlds Largest Bible Study Site

(6) It is a mistake for a woman to speak in tongues. “Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak . . .” (14:34). The prohibition here has a direct relation to the problem with which the Apostle is dealing, namely, speaking in tongues. Earlier in the same Epistle he told the women how to dress when they prayed or prophesied in the church (11 :3-10), therefore he would not forbid them here in Chapter 14 that privilege which is countenanced in Chapter 11. The setting of 1 Corinthians 14:34 has reference primarily to women speaking in tongues. It is clear and unmistakable that speaking in tongues was a gift limited to men and is never to be exercised by women. Now he is not saying that women may not teach or testify or pray, but that they may not speak in tongues. Elsewhere Paul writes, “But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence” (I Timothy 2:12). The point of this passage is that a woman’s ministry must not usurp authority over the man. She may teach women or children, but not men.

If this admonition were heeded today much of the present tongues movement would be eliminated. Women are the worst offenders in the modern confusion of tongues. The word “speak” in 14:34 is the same word used in verse 28, therefore it cannot mean mere “chatter” that would disturb a service in the church. The purpose of this entire section on speaking in tongues is to curb the wrong use of the gift. Verses 27-33 give instruction for men in the matter of speaking in tongues. “If any man speak in an unknown tongue . . .” (14:27); verses 34-36 are directed to “women” exercising the gift of tongues. And if any women wanted to take issue with Paul, he would ask them one question, “Which book in all the inspired Scriptures was written as the result of the Holy Spirit revealing the woman?” (Verse 36). It is a mistake for a woman to speak in tongues.

what is your take on this?

Thanks!

Well , I for one do not agree with this documentation . I cannot find anywhere , where there is gender distinction . We are told that the Baptism of the Holy Spirit is for all ....
1 Corinthians 14:5

5I would like every one of you to speak in tongues,but I would rather have you prophesy. He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues unless he interprets, so that the church may be edified.

thats pretty much how I feel... I just came across that and could not understand that doctrine and who actually has taught it and who believes it. Thank you!

thats pretty much how I feel... I just came across that and could not understand that doctrine and who actually has taught it and who believes it. Thank you!

This is the reason why we must imperitively search the scriptures and not believe everything that we read. If it does not line up with the Word of God then throw it out .

I just saw this version in NCV which explains the gift of speaking in tongues . Actually read the whole chapter in the New Century Version

1 Cor . 14:2

2 I will explain why. Those who have the gift of speaking in different languages[a] are not speaking to people; they are speaking to God. No one understands them; they are speaking secret things through the Spirit.

Footnotes:
  1. 1 Corinthians 14:2 languages This can also be translated "tongues

I don't think it is so important for beginner Christians to speak in tongues, for the Lord will show us how to do it when He feels we are ready. I believe that when we become born again Christians then we receive that gift because we then have been baptized of the holy spirit (not of water). For even if we can do something, we may not know how to do it if God has not guided us yet. Every Christian will be able to do when the time is right and God shows us how to do it. We don't need to rush it. It's more important to focus on having a close relationship with God rather than just focus on receiving His gift of speaking in tongues, for then we are more concerned about a gift rather than who the gift came from. At least those are my thoughts on it. My main point is that God will show each individual Christian how to speak in tongues when He feels they are ready. I don't believe it's normal to happen instantly when you become a born again believer.

My Brother Phil you say you are new to this but you are on the right track!! The bible tells us that as Christians we are ONE body, and that each part of the body is important for the benefit of the whole, Corinthians also talks of diverse and various gifts of the spirit,(prophesy, healing, spirit of help, discernment and yes tongues to name a few).

The 1st point that I agree with you whole heartedly is that it is important to build a relationship with the Lord, the important part in building this relationship is trusting him, let him decide what gifts are appropriate for you. After all you should be using them to the Glory of his name and in his will! One reply you received said you get the holy spirit when baptised, but the bible tells me that when I become saved "The worldly man dies daily", meaning that as a "newborn" in Christ I am slowly growing whilst leaving the old me behind, this takes time.

Another point is that if the Holy Spirit has not geniunely manifested itself within you, DO NOT speak in tongues, there is this growing trend that to speak in tongues will invoke the spirit of the Lord, read your bible my brothers and sisters! That's not how it works, the spirit must FIRST be manifested in you, it is distressing when I see Christians basically speaking gibberish,and the real danger is that if you are speaking gibberish then it CANNOT BE OF GOD, God does not operate in confusion. Why I say danger is that if it is not of god then you must be mindful of what spirit you may be entertaining!

My brother Phil (and anyone else who may read this) do not worship God in trends but in the truth of his word! Please see the scrripture references below, I feel that they substantiate my comments, with God there is a order to things and yes, this does also include the gift of Tongues!

ACTS Chapter 2 verse 1-11

1 Corinthians Chapter 14 (Principles governing tongues)

I hope that I have not offended anyone, but as Christians we must stand by the word of God, because his word is life, please be edified by these scriptures and be blessed of the Lord.

With all my love

Brother Horace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back