Why Do We Speak In Tongues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another point is that if the Holy Spirit has not geniunely manifested itself within you, DO NOT speak in tongues, there is this growing trend that to speak in tongues will invoke the spirit of the Lord, read your bible my brothers and sisters! That's not how it works, the spirit must FIRST be manifested in you, it is distressing when I see Christians basically speaking gibberish,and the real danger is that if you are speaking gibberish then it CANNOT BE OF GOD, God does not operate in confusion. Why I say danger is that if it is not of god then you must be mindful of what spirit you may be entertaining!

My brother Phil (and anyone else who may read this) do not worship God in trends but in the truth of his word! Please see the scrripture references below, I feel that they substantiate my comments, with God there is a order to things and yes, this does also include the gift of Tongues!

If you will read the scriptures the believer spoke in tongues as the Spirit of God gave them the utterance, therefore this gift is of God.

Acts 2:4And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

They did not wait months or years to grow. That takes time. We need to power of the Spirit as we are growing. Some believed and spoke in unknown tongues by the Spirit of God immediately. The only requirement is to be born again, that is, repent and receive the Lord Jesus Christ and then He will give you the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:38Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. 39For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call

Acts 10:43To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins. 44While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word. 45And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost. 46For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter, 47Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?

Acts 19:4Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. 5When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus. 6And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied.

You speak of dangers. The dangerous thing is when a person attributed something as awesome and holy as a gift from God to some other spirit other than God. Also its very disrespectful to speak of God’s gift as ‘gibberish’ . Some may think so, but the whole miracle of it is that God gives the ability to speak in languages we don’t understand. The Bible itself says the human mind cannot understand it.

God doesn’t cause confusion but many people themselves are confused about some issues until they have studied this out thoroughly, and many churches do not study it at all not do they want to. Now some may not agree or nor want some of the deeper things of the Spirit. He won’t force anything on us we don’t want. Although the gifts are a great benefit, a person doesn’t have to have anything to do with them if they don’t want to. But it would be wise to not speak against them. This is Bible and those who want the gifts and deeper things of the Spirit are told in 1 Cor 12 to learn about them and greatly desire the gifts.

Oh so It's a symbol. Not a must have to get to heaven... We should do it but it's not a must have? I'm just wondering because I don't step into church much and go with the ceremonies and such. I do know I am saved and getting closer with God though. I will get a water baptism as soon as I get into the habit of going to church every Sunday. As od now, I mostly learn from recorded Sunday teachings and podcast and video teachings on itunes and the internet and this this website and I read my Bible.
Water Baptism is the "public confession that Jesus is Lord and savior" You don't need to go to church every Sunday to get Baptized. It only takes 1 time when you are there at the right moment, 1 X. it doesn't take a steady participation to get Baptized. If you confess Jesus to the public, Jesus will confess YOU to the Father. But YOU do need to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior in your heart and believe it.Period. In order to be saved.

Speaking in tongues is a gift indeed. It does come when you PRAY in the Spirit...with YOUR HEART humbly. We don't need to be well seasoned Christians to speak in tongues. i spoke in tongues during a retreat. i accepted the Lord and all of a sudden there it was. I heard it but did not understand it, but it kept coming fluidly as a foreign language. It comes and goes depending on my heart where it is at. Tongues is an Angelic language just between you and God only. No 1 else can decipher what you say. Some say they can but it is not true. Each 1 of us has his/her own private language between Jesus and them selves .
I hear tongues all the time in church. It is a beautiful language. It makes me melt. I can't understand what they say but I know saying in my heart.........Praying personally to GOD 1 on 1. And HE is answering like a conversation. I know. Been there still doing that :) I hope this sheds a little light on this subject.

Chili Bro out.
God Bless you

That's a very old post. Oh man... Many things have happened since then. But thanks to you all for responding. :)

It aint older than ME!!! hehehe. Just sumtin I took note on and had to add my 2 chili's.

Chili out.

Some form of what was called speaking in tongues is something I had experience of in one of my failed attempts with Christ. This was during an attempt at an exorcism. During the process, one present started to me babbling and then pronounced that all my problems were (something like) "down to the sex I'd had with so many women". When I announced that I have genuinely only ever biblically "known" one person, things sort of broke down. There is more I will not go into about the whole experience and the aftermath but the 2 things I came out with were:

1: Exorcism without knowledge is dangerous.
2: I'm suspicious of the tongue business.

1. Is dangerous without knowledge. The devil is very powerful and not to be taken lightly.
2. Tongues is for real. And it aint a business. it is a gift from GOD HIM self. :)

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Your choice.

100% of the tongues in Pentecostal and Charismatic churches is false!! And I will explain why!

1. Every single occurrence of tongues in the Bible was KNOWN LANGUAGES! It was given to overcome the language barrier so people could share the Good News with people of different languages. There is not even a single event in the entire Bible where someone was speaking in tongues which nobody understood.

2. The Bible clearly says that tongues is NOT for believers, but for UNBELIEVERS! So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are BELIEVERS in Christ, speaking UNKNOWN tongues is not only unbiblical, but it's human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God!

1 Corinthians 14:22 Tongues, then, are a sign, not for believers but for unbelievers; prophecy, however, is for believers, not for unbelievers.

3. NOT EVERYONE receives the same gift, NOT EVERYONE will receive the gift of tongues, So a room full of Pentecostals or Charismatics who are ALL speaking tongues is not only unbiblical, but is also human fanaticism/emotionalism and a crime against God, and a contradiction against the Bible.

Those 3 points are just the start of the problems with the Pentecostals and Charismatics Movements.

You have to make a choice... follow men or follow God. Follow error, or renounce error and embrace truth.

Most people will never renounce error when shown it, due to PRIDE and EGO. They rather die defending their error than force themselves to humbly admit their error and repent.

Your choice.

Greetings & WOW

I must say firstly, that I have never before heard the terms Pentecostals & Charismatics used in such an overtly derogatory manner as in this posting!! Lord forgive! It really is almost as if you say them like "swear words" or "dirty curse words", and like they refer to a "lower form of life"! than you yourself!!

Secondly, I find your whole tone and point ot be exceedingly judging in its arguments and presentation, and therefore as such I find it to be quite OFFENSIVE to me personally! Also to have you publically degrading people by declaring them to have issues with "pride" is like a real life example of OXYMORON, as you in doing so demonstrate the far greater prideful behavior!

Finally, as reagdrs the issue you are raving about in your post, the HOLY SPIRIT GIVEN GIFT OF TONGUES... well I think you are in very seriously dangerous ground yourself here, and may be treading very close to commision of what is termed the "unpardonable sin", but I let the actual scriptures say ALL that is needed to make my counter point of your argument against tongues... read the WORD OF GOD to derive the TRUTH about such doctrinal matters as this!

Mat 12:24-37 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils. And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come. Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, That every idle word that men shall speak, they shall give account thereof in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

Luk 12:10-12 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven. And when they bring you unto the synagogues, and unto magistrates, and powers, take ye no thought how or what thing ye shall answer, or what ye shall say: For the Holy Ghost shall teach you in the same hour what ye ought to say.

Mar 3:28-30 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme: But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation: Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

Minister Tony

You may not believe this way, but this forum was created for those the do believe in the Holy Spirit and His gifts. There are many other forums on this site where we can discuss things that we can agree on, rather than arguing about our differences.

And I would caution y0u again about speaking against the things of the Spirit. I would not want to be in your shoes and stand before the Lord. I do pray for mercy for you.

Please keep these rules in mind:

3.2b ChristianForumSite.com has a wide variety of members from around the World. This Forum does not allow the elevation of one Christian belief system over another. This is demeaning and belittling the beliefs of other Christians while promoting another system so as to create an atmosphere of superiority. Any such posts or threads will be removed and a reminder, warning or ban issued as necessary.
3.2c Any discussions about any individual teacher/preacher/pastor/minister/evangelist/media personality, etc., will be closely monitored. Any claims that a named person teaches or supports false doctrine MUST be well documented. Unsubstantiated claims, rumors or hearsay will not be allowed. Any such posts or threads will be removed and a reminder, warning or ban issued as necessary.
Source: http://christianforumsite.com/threads/forum-rules.29546/

Thanks.

Minister Tony

You may not believe this way, but this forum was created for those the do believe in the Holy Spirit and His gifts. There are many other forums on this site where we can discuss things that we can agree on, rather than arguing about our differences.

And I would caution y0u again about speaking against the things of the Spirit. I would not want to be in your shoes and stand before the Lord. I do pray for mercy for you.

Not everyone receives the SAME GIFT, and tongues is NOT for believers, so having a room full of believers talking in unknown tongues is not biblical. The true gift of tongues is known languages where the hearer heard the good news about Jesus.

This raises the question, Why would the Holy Spirit seek to speak through a person in sounds that are meaningless to all who listen? If the gift of tongues is to edify, why would it not manifest itself in the language of those present, that all might be enlightened and thereby benefited?

Let me ask you please, what is the true purpose of the gift of tongues?

The purpose of the gifts is altogether different. It is not their purpose to work a change in the person's life. They are, rather, the work of the Spirit through him for the instruction and salvation of others. They provide power for witnessing. But for God to give the gifts of His Spirit to any but those who first have the fruits of the Spirit in their lives would be to place His approval on sin.

When Jesus sent His followers to the world with the commission of proclaiming the wonderful story of salvation, He marvelously equipped them to communicate that message through the gift of "understandable tongues." Those who heard them speak took note of them that they had been with Jesus. (See Acts 4:13.) It was needed in order to overcome the language barrier.

The Bible teaches that it is a gift, and must be received by faith. Paul's doctrine is "that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith." Galatians 3:14 It is by faith, not by feeling. In claiming the promise of forgiveness, we do not demand a sign from God that He has fulfilled His word. We know it is done because He said it would be. In the same way, we should claim the promise of the Spirit by faith, not requiring some special evidence from God that He kept His promise. By demanding signs and evidence people are doubting the Word of God.

Acts 2:9-11 records sixteen different language groups who were present as the Spirit-filled disciples stepped outside the house to start witnessing.

Here is a simple description of the true gift of tongues. It is not the uttering of some ecstatic language of heaven. The tongues were real languages that people could understand, and every person of every race was edified and enlightened by hearing the gospel preached in his OWN mother tongue and was led to JESUS as a result. It could be UNDERSTOOD!

On certain occasions it was needed in order to overcome the language barrier.

Subsequently, at Corinth, the gift began to be misused to such a degree that it was creating confusion in the church. Paul had to devote a full chapter of his first letter to the Corinthian church to correcting the problem. And today, we see it being misused all over again.

....well I think you are in very seriously dangerous ground yourself here, and may be treading very close to commision of what is termed the "unpardonable sin", ....

I disagree, and I am already saved by faith in Jesus and the blood of the Lamb and it's impossible for me to be lost.

Please keep these rules in mind:

3.2b ChristianForumSite.com has a wide variety of members from around the World. This Forum does not allow the elevation of one Christian belief system over another. This is demeaning and belittling the beliefs of other Christians while promoting another system so as to create an atmosphere of superiority. Any such posts or threads will be removed and a reminder, warning or ban issued as necessary.
3.2c Any discussions about any individual teacher/preacher/pastor/minister/evangelist/media personality, etc., will be closely monitored. Any claims that a named person teaches or supports false doctrine MUST be well documented. Unsubstantiated claims, rumors or hearsay will not be allowed. Any such posts or threads will be removed and a reminder, warning or ban issued as necessary.
Source: http://christianforumsite.com/threads/forum-rules.29546/

Thanks.
Ok Jeff, I understand. I think everyone needs to focus on the topic and doctrine and keep the personal attacks out of it. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back