Why do we use God as a last resort?

Hi, Major.
It's been a busy past couple of months. My wife and I just moved into our new home and have been setting up. Work has also kept me pretty busy along with new schedules, so I'm sorry I haven't been around as much.

There has been some new adjustments to our lives. There's still a grieving process we've been going through since the miscarriage, and we tend to respond to it differently, so most of my days have been a continual habit of work and deep prayer.

Is what a lack of faith?

I have missed you brother!

The comment on faith was retorical. The question was posed as the lead in on the thread......"Why do we use God as a last resort"?

I seem to have encountered this very problem with two ladies in my bible study.

We were studying genesis chapter 15 and reading the story of abraham. One lady is very talkative and has an obsessive nature, she worries bout everything. The problem is, the more she worries and doubts, the more she tries to control everything, the less she is trusting in God.

I am concerened for them both as each seem to have this view that, 'god wants you to have a good life' or 'god gives me what I want' mentality. When god doesnt answer their prayers or their demands, then they conclude somehow that god is mean or they just not patient enough. While there is the latter, they missing the point. Faith isnt what you can believe God FOR. Faith is just believing in WHO he is period. Everything else comes after that.

I couldnt really get a word in edgewise about this but so ingrained is this thinking, compounded by a lot of prosperity gospel preachers (one lady said she listened to them over reading the bible) They somehow ignored the whole point of the Bible study, that abraham believed God and it was imputed him for righteousness. He didnt, like many people do, decide what he wanted then asked God and arm wrestled God into submission claiming he had to have a child cos he just wanted one. He knew God had told him he would have one, and that his descendants would be as the stars of the sky and sand on the sea, that all the land would be theirs that was his promise.

Many christians somewhow believe that God promises them all kinds of things that He never actually has, and if they just constantly nag him about it, He has to give it to them. No, we are to seek his righteousness FIRST, then everything will be added.

Last edited:
I heard this quote said before that my husband and I was listening to in a sermon and it pretty much summed up your question for me:
"You never know God is all you need until God is all you have."
-Frederick Warren

Back