Why does God require faith?

People have one short shot at getting to heaven, so why does God hide himself and require faith rather than speak in a way that is clear and can be understood by each individual?

Do you believe that God would burn someone in hell forever for simply not believing in him? I'm amazed at how many Christians and Muslims actually believe that.

It is such a depressing belief, I don't think I could love a God who would do that.

Would you mind telling me what is so horrible about not believing in an invisible entity, that it merits eternal agony?

Eternal suffering for not believing in someone who is invisible and hides himself? Are you kidding? Such a belief is so strangely prevalent. Why?

I love God, but the God I know isn't the epitome of cruel and unjust. God is love. The God I know said to those who crucified him, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

People have one short shot at getting to heaven, so why does God hide himself and require faith rather than speak in a way that is clear and can be understood by each individual?

The things of God are hidden from those who are not His.
Those who are His (Born Again) have His Spirit within and can find understanding.

Do you believe that God would burn someone in hell forever for simply not believing in him? I'm amazed at how many Christians and Muslims actually believe that.

God does not burn anyone in hell.
We all have to make the choice to either accept Him and His Ways or not.
Those that turn God down send themselves to hell.

It is such a depressing belief, I don't think I could love a God who would do that.

Be careful how you choose to see this.

Would you mind telling me what is so horrible about not believing in an invisible entity, that it merits eternal agony?

We are all born in sin and as scripture says like filthy rags.
God has made a way to get us clean and able to spend eternity with Him.

God has given the choice to us. He has left it up to us to either Love Him and obey Him and His Ways or not.

If we choose Him the the reward is priceless but if we refuse Him then we do not belong to Him and suffer the consequences.

Eternal suffering for not believing in someone who is invisible and hides himself? Are you kidding? Such a belief is so strangely prevalent. Why?

I believe I have already covered this but....
Here is a simple view.
God gave us a choice. God had left it up to us to either Love Him or not.

God is Holy and since the fall of man , well we are not. God however Loves us so much He made a way for us to change that. That way is Jesus. So we must choose Him and His Ways or we are left with the outcome of the fallen...

Blessings
FCJ

I am for punishment fitting the crime....if a person doesn't believe in an invisible entity, that doesn't mean they should be tormented forever, and ever, and ever, and ever for trillions of years

I am for punishment fitting the crime....if a person doesn't believe in an invisible entity, that doesn't mean they should be tormented forever, and ever, and ever, and ever for trillions of years

Huh?
All will be judged. Those who belong to Christ will be pardoned BY the Blood of Christ.
Those who do not have the Blood of Christ will be found guilty of their crimes (sin).

I believe your understanding is a little off here.

God created us.
God created the garden a world in which we really do not know.
Man disobeyed God and destroyed the garden and for the first time brought sin and the curse into this world.

Man in doing so gave the authority that God had given him over to satan.

God was not pleased nor was He going to allow this to continue forever.

So at the right time He sent Jesus our Christ to teach man and pay for man's sins and make a way for man to be Reconciled back to Him and got the authority back in man's hands.

So with the Price God paid through Christ Jesus , do you really believe those who refuse to turn back to God should simply get a free pass and dwell with God for eternity?

That would be the same as God looking at Jesus and saying, well boy, thanks for all that you suffered and went through and did, but it's all good. We are gonna just let anyone, everyone come on in and be with us, so son, my bad.

No sir, there is one way and only one way to the Father and that is through Jesus Christ.
This is not a game nor what Jesus did a little task.
Jesus took our place in hell. Suffered more then ANY SINNER will in hell.
Jesus defeated satan and his bunch and got the keys to death back and Thee Authority that man gave away and paraded them through the streets of hell before He went home to be with the Father.

So again, God in His Love made away that we can be saved from the final judgment and forced to pay for our sin.

That's Huge and that's Love.
The rest is up to man.
Choose God choose life
Refuse God stand in the final judgment with no Defense Attorney (Jesus) AND WITH the great prosecuting attorney (satan) accusing you of your crimes or sin.

That's more then fare that's Pure Love For Us.

It's God's choice we Choose Him
He won't force ANYONE to Love Him.

Man MUST choose either God's way or man's way and then REAP FROM THAT CHOICE.

Blessings
FCJ

I have heard it put this way......God is looking to replace the third of Heaven that chose to trust Satan instead of Him.God desires the one thing He can’t create—-trust. He so values that trust that if you Believe in the One whom He sent He will give you everything. Reject the free gift that cost God His Son and you will choose to join Satan and the fallen angels.If that seems unfair, read the book of Job to find the answer to those who think they are wise enough to be God’s critics—— essentially what God chooses to do and why He chooses to do it are none of our business. As God tells Job, “ where were you when I hung the stars?” It would be wise to start trusting and forget the questioning and accusations. God bless.

You seem to equate not letting you do as you please with making a choice about you and sending you to hell.

That is like a six-year-old saying his parents are abusing him because they have rules when the parents are struggling to teach the youngster how to be a part of society.

Our Lord is teaching us how to be a part of His kingdom. If we reject Him and ignore His teaching, we will not be able to be part of that kingdom. We shouldn't try to say its God's fault if we refuse to acknowledge His Kingship.

If one does not end in His Kingdom, the only other place to be will be Hell, but to blame God because we refused to acknowledge the King is really putting everything backward.

Also, the way to God and His Kingdom is to concentrate on His Love for you personally. Concentrating on his righteous rejection of those that refuse is a trap placed by the enemy (Satan). It fills you with fear and keeps your eyes off our Lord.

Remember, God knows that everyone fails. Even strong Christians are not perfect. Even though they fail and do the things you fear God sends people to hell for, because they are children of the King, and have admitted that they fail in being perfect they will not be sent to Hell. So God does not send people to Hell simply because they do some small (or even many large) things.

This is why our Lord died. He was sinless. He was as human as you, but He was also God and because both are true, His sacrifice saved all who ever sinned but believed in the Holy Lord.

I love God, but the God I know isn't the epitome of cruel and unjust. God is love. The God I know said to those who crucified him, "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do".

It is good that you ask questions and build your faith. I agree with you the God that I know is not cruel or unjust. He is not limiting the number of times that we have to accept Him to one shot.
He has walked this earth very visibly as a man and He is willing to give us every opportunity to accept Him, sin against Him, repent, and restore our relationship with Him any number of times. Is God hiding? God is in our hearts as evidenced by the voice we hear helping us to discern right from wrong. He is evidenced in the beauty of the world we see around us. He is reaching out to us through His church, His written word, and that empty spot we feel in our hearts that is longing to be filled with the love of God. God invites us to the wedding feast of the Lamb but if we refuse to accept that invitation then we have only ourselves to blame for spending eternity separated from the love of God. God wants everyone to be saved and spend eternity with Him in love and joy. God does not send anyone to eternal suffering but God will not stop anyone from exercising their fee will, rejecting God, and suffering the inevitable consequences. Should we blame God for people making their own bad decisions? Should we reject God’s love and the sacrifice of His Son for us? Wouldn't that make us the ones who are cruel and unjust? Blessings

Trump0101 Your first word puts the question onto the spiritual side of life. The scientist professes to 'think God's thoughts after Him', and asks "How?" and he leaves others, the seekers after God, to ask "Why?"

Fundamentally, what you are asking is why does Creation appear as it does, to us.

Thought is very basic to the creation of anything, and when God created the cosmos, it followed His thought. Our thoughts are insufficient until we truly and thankfully accept Jesus' gift of the Holy Spirit, who will lead us into all Truth.
God's thoughts are unthinkable, but we each are part of them, and that is why the course of each life depends on others, and why it is difficult for some of us to grow in faith and understanding.

It is not for us to query and challenge the design of Creation, but to accept the Truth of Jesus' teaching to make it "work".

It is my thought which now asks all Blessings on you, in the faith that, as you say, God is Love.

God says without faith its impossible to please Him.
Faith pleases God because it shows you choose to love Him and trust Him. I dont know if you ever had a child, or a pet. How does a child know of all the adults in this world who his or her parents are? How does a pet know who its owners are? Even when they arent around 24/7 or within touch or sight.

Because we cant see God, as He is spirit so not confined to a body like us, He is not visible to us, and we cant touch God, as well, he is so Holy that we cant approach Him with our own sinfulness. But guess what God made a way through Jesus because, He is his only son sent to us to dwell with us. He was like us in every way, human, he got hungry and tired. But Jesus can connect us with God because He was with God from the beginning.
Whoever believes in Jesus and listens to what he says knows God. That Jesus rose from the dead is a fact. You can receive his spirit and He will change your life. That is His gift to you. To know God as your Father. To be adopted by Him.

Now because Jesus is in Heaven interceding for us and not on earth anymore doesnt mean Hes not active! Just because you cant see him with your own eyes doesnt mean Hes not working things out. Some people saw the miracles he did and still didnt believe. Well this is where youve got to have faith that those miracles did happen. And miracles can happen in your life too with faith. For some people being healed is a miracle that only God can do. There are so many miracles in the Bible that required faith that God would do. But to Him its just showing how much He loves us.

Maybe you feel like you dont have faith because you cant see any evidence of God right now. Well step into the light and see. He loves you and wants you to come to really know Him. Start by thanking Him for the little things. Like sunshine, that each day is new. That you have food and clothes. That you can talk to Him about anything. That even if things are wrong in your life Jesus is going to make it right because he died on the cross for all our wrongs. And he rose again, so death is not the end, just the beginning of eternal life.

You can just pray thank you God for sending Jesus, Because to know Jesus is to know God as He said I and my Father are one. Help my faith to grow in you by showing me who you are. Help me to understand your Word and your gift of salvation.

I believe Jim has already 'sufficiently' addressed your statement but how can someone read something like that and not reply.

You say God hides Himself:
First off He is not hidden. If you look about He is evident everywhere. It is just that you don't understand Him, even as science is doing it's best to explain God.
But you can rest assured that even if one would rise from the dead and stand before an unbeliever they would find some excuse to explain it away.
Point two:
You accuse God of throwing some one in hell for unbelief.
You fail to realize the God is the source of all life and he is willing to impart it to all who will receive.
Those who refuse to accept life and all God has to offer condemn themselves.
3. You say you could not love a God that would do such a thing.
That is simply a confession of what a person is...
4. What is so horrible about unbelief?
It is horrible alright - telling God He is not worth it.
5. God is the only one who is eternal. Since He is the only creator - if a person chooses to reject Him all you got is borrowed time.
6. God is love but His love is not like our fallen conception of love - primarily based on human emotional conception.
I expect Jesus had ample reason to turn His back on the human race - which He created - and then spit in his face etc...

I suggest you pray for mercy that God might align your spirit with His Word.

- if a person chooses to reject Him all you got is borrowed time.
Amen,
2Peter3:9
The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

It's time of Grace but everyday you turn your back on God's Grace just simply increases your odds of missing out.

God's Grace is Here and Now - Later it won't be there for you no matter how much you claim you did not know.

As 2404 said, borrowed time, if within this time of here and now or Grace, you should perish this life, standing as you are, your destination is sealed.

Blessings

There is an old saying "if you don't believe in something you will fall for anything".

In all my years I have always felt the parent/child analogy best fits the God/human dichotomy; at least in an effort to explain the relationship.

As a parent when I am trying to teach a 2 year old something like, don't touch the fire, or don't talk to strangers; there is simply no way to explain the danger to them. A 2 year old simply does not have the experience necessary to understand what I am trying to tell them, even if you were mean enough to let them experience the bad thing you are trying to protect them from, they still simply do not understand it, their brains and experiences are not fully developed yet. It is due to this lack of experience and knowledge that I need my children to simply trust that I know what is best for them.

In the above example, I don't demand their trust (faith) simply to lord over them, but because I love them and need that trust to protect them.

The more I study, and the more I am open to the Spirit, the more I understand; but until we are all gathered in the sky I have to know my limits and have faith in our creator for the things I am not yet capable of understanding. Without that faith, I am open to listen to those who want to deceive me, just like the strangers in my above example.

Jesus was here, in plain sight, he performed a great many miracles and rose from the dead. There were those who saw this and chose not to believe. God is not hidden from us; not now, not ever.

God Bless,

Heisonfirst

The Bible often speaks of the importance of faith in knowing God. For example, Ephesians 2:8teaches, "For by grace you have been saved through faith." First Corinthians 13:13 adds, "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." But why does God require faith?

One way to answer why God requires faith is because He is our Heavenly Father. Our relationship to Him is similar to other relationships in the sense that it includes trust in the other person, time together, love, and respect. Because we cannot fully know another person, let alone an infinite God, all relationships require some degree of faith (trust). God is our Father and it takes faith to believe that He loves us and that He provides for our needs.

Faith is also important because God is not visible to humanity. Hebrews 11:1 teaches, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." We cannot see God (John 1:18). However, we have faith in Him that provides assurance.

Faith is necessary to please God. Hebrews 11:6 notes, "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." Not only does faith please God, it leads to reward—eternal life, heavenly rewards, and experience of fullness of life on earth (John 10:10).

Faith is important in order for believers to obey the Lord. For example, Adam and Eve had been given a command—to not eat from a particular fruit (Genesis 2:15-17). Because their faith wavered regarding this command, they ate the forbidden fruit and sinned. Contrastingly, James 2:23 shares, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

God requires faith because it allows humans the ability to choose or reject Him. Without the ability to make choices, humanity would cease to be human as we know it. Because people can choose to have faith or not to have faith, there is a way for God to know those who have believed in Him and those who have not.

Faith in God is not "blind faith" as some argue. Instead, it is a choice based on the available information. The Bible, the created world, the changed lives of believers, Jesus Christ, and other ways God operates in our world provide sufficient evidence for people to choose faith in God. As Jesus taught in Luke 16:31, "If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead."

The Bible often speaks of the importance of faith in knowing God. For example, Ephesians 2:8teaches, "For by grace you have been saved through faith." First Corinthians 13:13 adds, "So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." But why does God require faith?

One way to answer why God requires faith is because He is our Heavenly Father. Our relationship to Him is similar to other relationships in the sense that it includes trust in the other person, time together, love, and respect. Because we cannot fully know another person, let alone an infinite God, all relationships require some degree of faith (trust). God is our Father and it takes faith to believe that He loves us and that He provides for our needs.

Faith is also important because God is not visible to humanity. Hebrews 11:1 teaches, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." We cannot see God (John 1:18). However, we have faith in Him that provides assurance.

Faith is necessary to please God. Hebrews 11:6 notes, "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him." Not only does faith please God, it leads to reward—eternal life, heavenly rewards, and experience of fullness of life on earth (John 10:10).

Faith is important in order for believers to obey the Lord. For example, Adam and Eve had been given a command—to not eat from a particular fruit (Genesis 2:15-17). Because their faith wavered regarding this command, they ate the forbidden fruit and sinned. Contrastingly, James 2:23 shares, "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

God requires faith because it allows humans the ability to choose or reject Him. Without the ability to make choices, humanity would cease to be human as we know it. Because people can choose to have faith or not to have faith, there is a way for God to know those who have believed in Him and those who have not.

Faith in God is not "blind faith" as some argue. Instead, it is a choice based on the available information. The Bible, the created world, the changed lives of believers, Jesus Christ, and other ways God operates in our world provide sufficient evidence for people to choose faith in God. As Jesus taught in Luke 16:31, "If they do not hear Moses and the Prophets, neither will they be convinced if someone should rise from the dead."

Hello Teddy;

Thank you for sharing your post. While reading I was thinking what it requires to have faith in God. Faith in God is not a burden, but a benefit and delight to understand a new way of knowing God.

Requiring to have faith in God brings us back to His original purpose, and that is to love Him as He loves us. The scriptures is a breath of fresh air because this not only strengthens us but gives us more reason to have faith in God.

Thank you for joining us, Teddy, we all look forward to more fellowship with you and the others.

God bless you and your family, brother.

Good questions. Good questions deserve good responses.

So then, first of all, God did not hide Himself. If we read through the Old Test. we see that it is all about God working in the lives of men and history just like a movie. A movie focuses on the important parts of the story and that is what The Bible does and it shows the important highlights of God working throughout the history of humanity.

Certainly God has continued to make Himself known and relevant throughout history since biblical times, yet there is less history during which God has operated than during the biblical times recorded in Scripture.

God may seem more evident in the New Testament because much of its content is focused on the time during which Jesus ministered in human form on the earth. Certainly this time period was a unique window of history during which many miracles occurred.

Also it should be noted that when Jesus was incarnated, God then changed His method of revealing Himself to us.

Hebrews 1:1-2.........
"God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds".

Today, as Christins, we live in the Church age and we now have the Holy Spirit living in us instead of Prophets telling us what God wants us to know.

According to John 16:13, the Holy Spirit will "guide [us] into all the truth" and help us live according to God's ways. Rather than God's physical presence (as was often seen in the Old Testament) or Jesus physically walking the earth (as in the Gospels), believers have God's Spirit living within them to guide, direct, instruct, and comfort.
(https://www.compellingtruth.org/God-hidden.html).

Now as for burning people in hell. That has not happened to one single human being in history. Every single person in hell is there by their own choice. Hell was not created for human beings but instead for Satan and his angels.

Matthew 25:41..........
"Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, PREPARED FOR THE DEVIL AND HIS ANGELS".

It is NOT God’s will that anyone should perish in their sins and go to Hell.

2 Peter 3:9.................
“The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Last edited:

Your main tension with God is that He hides Himself and will burn someone for not believing in a invisible entity.

We are condemned by not believing Jesus. A REAL man that walked this Earth 2000 years ago. This man is neither invisible nor hid himself. He came down from Heaven in human form and shared the Kingdom of God through His teachings.

If you want to know who this "invisible" man is, then open your Bible and read the four gospels. It will show you just how real He is.

In peace

Your main tension with God is that He hides Himself and will burn someone for not believing in a invisible entity.

We are condemned by not believing Jesus. A REAL man that walked this Earth 2000 years ago. This man is neither invisible nor hid himself. He came down from Heaven in human form and shared the Kingdom of God through His teachings.

If you want to know who this "invisible" man is, then open your Bible and read the four gospels. It will show you just how real He is.

In peace

Hello ConsiderHisAwe;

Well said, and I appreciate your post. It gives me much to think about in my personal faith walk with Jesus.

God bless you and your family.

I think others have given wonderful Bible references. I just wanted to add this. It is all about faith whether you are a believer or not. An atheist "believes" there is no God. They put their trust on all the theories about big bang theory. It is a big leap of faith on their side. Even if Jesus stood in front of you today, you need faith to believe what you are seeing. You can very well be like Pharisees and ignore that. From your statement I understand you believe Jesus is God. Do you know Pharisees saw Him face to face and did not believe Him? It is not a problem of God not revealing Himself enough. It is only a problem of people not having belief on what has been revealed. Once you get your faith at the right place, all your other questions will be answered through Word of God.

Back