Why I think we need to think over the J.O.Y code a little further

Some of you might have heard the J.O.Y. code. If not, I’ll explain it to you: the J.O.Y. code stands for “Jesus first, Others next, Yourself last”. That seems like a great moral standard on the surface. And I personally have nothing against it, except… it personally reminds of how some abusive households would use it to abuse their family members, especially their kids.

Let me be a little specific: we’re aware that there are people who have been abused by their family members and other relatives growing up. For example, let’s say we have a starving teen who had been forced on a strict diet by her mother (without the daughter’s consent), and expected to give away her favorite foods to “the starving children in Africa”. No matter how much she protested, the mother replied about the J.O.Y. code. In reality, the mother wasn’t really sending her daughter’s food to the starving children in Africa, but instead threw it in the trash where it will rot in the dump. She used “Jesus” to substitute for herself instead to make her daughter believe she was doing it for Jesus. This is an example of child neglect and emotional abuse.

Another example I can think of is that a young woman is living under poverty and tries to look for a job, the only job she can actually find in her area is one that is nearly full. But by the time she gets there, she is told that the job applications are full. She begs the counter man that she needs the job or she will starve to death. The counter man shakes his head and recites the J.O.Y code and adds “you’re not entitled to any position, Karen. Now leave”. The counter man was actually saving the cover of a richer man’s position applying for the same job and told him not to let anybody take his spot. They failed to listen to the poor beggar-woman and wrongfully assumed that she was only whining for attention when her issues were actually serious.

In short, while the J.O.Y. code is useful, we need to careful on HOW we use it so we don’t come off as hypocritical.

Last edited:
Never heard of it being used like that. Also doesn't seem to be Jesus first in those scenarios as Jesus is not even mentioned! I don't think any teen would fall for their parent being a substitute for Jesus. Though I've heard some parents try and trick their children into thinking they are God. Good try mum/dad, but you are human and not divine.

The ones I heard people say were
'WWJD what would Jesus do?'
Or 'God was Jesus with skin on'

You can't actually send food to Africa from America it would not keep by the time it got there anyway, unless you were actually in the import/export business. What people do is fast and give up their 'coffee' money to send to missionaries or sponsor a child, and you can gift a goat or a chicken and seeds.

Or you could just buy rice and beans (hopping John) or injera and appreciate African style cuisine in America.

A lot of businesses can't afford to employ heaps of people. Thats the thing with job hunting, just cos you apply doesn't mean you'll get it. Never heard any JOY code being recited for an unsuccessful application. Of course employers try to soften the blow, but they'll often say 'we found someone better qualified than you'. Employers don't actually care if you may be starving, they just want someone who can do the job.

Back