Why is it sometimes difficult to go deeper into the things of God?

Is it fear? Fear of the unknown? The strife of life?
What is it that causes a pulling away just when we are on the verge of the mysterys of God? Maybe it's something totally different, Share your experience(s)or thoughts if you want.
I'll be back later today to attempt to give my answer to this.

I think we need life verses, something we can relate to personally. Every day I reflect on Pslams 91: 1-4
I do it this way.
He is God
He is my safety
He will show me the traps, and lead me around them.
He draws me to Him

It's a simple thing but something I need to do daily.

When I pull away it looks like this:
I am god
I provide safety
The traps seem attractive
I fall

Knowing this helps me.

I think it is difficult because when you are going into higher hights in the lord the devil is just trying to do whatever it takes to make you take your focus off of Jesus and mess up. Personally I think that is why it is so hard. Also maybe you are not yet just ready for advancement??? I know sometime people try push themselves to be something in the lord that they are not ready for or have not been called to do. I dont know if that is the case with you but I am just throwing it out there! Thats is all I am thinking personally.

God Bless

I love all your answers!;)

Heb.10:22- let us draw near to God with a sincere heart
in full assurance of faith,
having our hearts sprinkled
to cleanse us from a guilty conscience
and having our bodies washed with pure water.

I wrote it like this to break the scripture up. If you look at it from the flip-side view, these are possibly the reasons we draw back from God.

"draw near with a sincere heart"; You really gotta want to "know", ya know? :p God would rather you be hot or cold, but not lukewarm. What are your motives? Is it to give or recieve?

"in full assurance of faith"; without faith we cannot please God. Faith is the key. Do you realise how many scriptures there are on faith alone? Jesus will be looking for it when he comes back!

"to cleanse us from a guilty conscience"; Ahh, guilt, and doubt, and unworthyness, fear, condemnation, double-mindedness, sin, unwillingness, addictions, shame, no time, depression, apathy, disillusionment,and hurt.

"and having our bodies washed with pure water"; I think this has to do with reading the word and prayer. When we read the word we wash and renew our minds. The pure word constrains us to be living sacrifices for God.

And last but not least, my favorite: commitment!:eek:
Ya mean I'm gonna have to give that up?!!!!!!!!

It's all in His timing, we will not see or know what He believes we are not ready for. In our mind we may think or feel that we have reached a unique relationship with our LORD, but YHVH knows the heart. We cannot live for the world and be commited to Jesus completely, there always seems to be something wordly that clouds the heart.

How we can go deeper

I believe it to be our lack of spiritualness, we have become so depended on self, we do not hear the Spirit of God.

We can not go deeper till we are in the right understanding of how to go deeper.

I have to turn back to 1 Cor 2:9

However, as it is written:
"No eye has seen,
no ear has heard,
no mind has conceived
what God has prepared for those who love him"

Here is the Key verse

10 but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit.

It is thru the spirit of God into our spirit, not thru our mental understanding.

13This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. 14The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned.

I hope that this will help

Papa :shepherd:

My two cents...

I’m not sure what you mean by “deeper into the things of God.†I will try to respond to what I think you mean.
How you “read†the bible is very important. There are two Greek words used to describe how a person reads a text.
One of the Greek words is “eisegesis†when means to read one’s own interpretation INTO a given text. A lot of times we “hear†a teaching from someone, like a minister, and we take his words for it and we “read into the text†what we’ve heard. We EISEGEIS (read into) the text our preconceived thoughts.

The second Greek word is exegete. To exegete a text, means to “draw the meaning out of.†When we read the Bible, we must not fall into the trap of eisegeis. We must exegete the context of the message to what it meant when the writer wrote it.
You want to go “deeper†in our Lord’s Word, then we must start by exegeting the text.

Also, ask yourself: Why was it written? To whom was it written? When was it written.

Hope this helps.
May the Lord be with you,

Your servant in Messiah, Jesus the Chirst,
Semper Fi,
cdj

Back