Woman Caught In Adultery...i'm Not Satisfied.

In the Tread on "the restoration of Israel" the matter of Jesus being tested by the Jews was raised.
John 8:2-11 2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

There is and always will be speculation about what Jesus wrote on the ground.
I thought I'd like to share with the readership here a few things that I have noticed:

It was with His finger that Jesus wrote, not a stick, or even a sharp stone, but His finger. (Verse 6)
Jesus was being tested by the scribes and Pharisees; He had stated on numerous occasions that He was the Son of God.
Now look at Exo 31:18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
The Ten Commandments were written with the finger of God.
Was it that the Ten Commandments were re-written by the finger of (God) Jesus to instruct the crowd and convict them of their own unrighteousness? Seems to me that this was yet another opportunity for Jesus to assert His true identity, while at the same time proclaiming the acceptable year of the Lord.

Lord, you are the hope of Israel;
all who forsake you will be put to shame.
Those who turn away from you will be written in the dust
because they have forsaken the Lord,
the spring of living water.

Jeremiah 17:13 ???

There are plenty of ideas floating around about what Jesus wrote. You may be wondering which one is correct. Well, wonder no longer! Here is my 100% correct, end-all-argument explanation for what Jesus was writing in the dust... :D

Jesus was teaching in the temple (verse 2). Like any good teacher at the time, He used the dust on the floor as a chalkboard to illustrate what He was teaching. When His class was interrupted, He acted like He wasn't listening and continued with His totally unrelated illustration.

No?

(Seriously though, maybe this was the case.)

Teachers speak 'everything' and only write down what they really want to sink in. Whatever Jesus wrote is covered by what what He said.

There are plenty of ideas floating around about what Jesus wrote. You may be wondering which one is correct. Well, wonder no longer! Here is my 100% correct, end-all-argument explanation for what Jesus was writing in the dust... :D

Jesus was teaching in the temple (verse 2). Like any good teacher at the time, He used the dust on the floor as a chalkboard to illustrate what He was teaching. When His class was interrupted, He acted like He wasn't listening and continued with His totally unrelated illustration.

No?

(Seriously though, maybe this was the case.)

It is also worth noting that as Jesus was teaching, there would also be the schoolmaster, ever present in the background supporting His teaching.
Gal 3: 23,24,25. 23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed. 24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.
Jesus was seeking to bring as many of Israel to faith as would obediently come.

It is inetresting what was said in the original most about God using His finger to write on the tablets writing the law and Jesus writing on the ground. That may have been exactly, the commandments, what He wrote because thru the law we are all sinners.

In the Tread on "the restoration of Israel" the matter of Jesus being tested by the Jews was raised.
John 8:2-11 2 Early in the morning he came again to the temple. All the people came to him, and he sat down and taught them. 3 The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, “Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. So what do you say?” 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, “Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her.” 8 And once more he bent down and wrote on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away one by one, beginning with the older ones, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus stood up and said to her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?” 11 She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said, “Neither do I condemn you; go, and from now on sin no more.”

There is and always will be speculation about what Jesus wrote on the ground.
I thought I'd like to share with the readership here a few things that I have noticed:

It was with His finger that Jesus wrote, not a stick, or even a sharp stone, but His finger. (Verse 6)
Jesus was being tested by the scribes and Pharisees; He had stated on numerous occasions that He was the Son of God.
Now look at Exo 31:18 And he gave to Moses, when he had finished speaking with him on Mount Sinai, the two tablets of the testimony, tablets of stone, written with the finger of God.
The Ten Commandments were written with the finger of God.
Was it that the Ten Commandments were re-written by the finger of (God) Jesus to instruct the crowd and convict them of their own unrighteousness? Seems to me that this was yet another opportunity for Jesus to assert His true identity, while at the same time proclaiming the acceptable year of the Lord.

I like that calvin! Very good!

Ooops, Father showed me another instance of the writing by Finger of God, much more important than those listed.

But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people. Jer 31:33

Very interesting..., here we have a mystery, since every single act/piece of history was foreknown by God before He created the Heavens and the Earth, then His Spiritual Principles didn't come into being when the were revealed to mankind, but are a part of His character and have been in place from Eternity past, so, even though Jesus was writing in the dirt before the advent of the New Covenant His principles were already in place waiting to be revealed, hence, in John 8:5 it says the men were convicted in their conscience/moral consciousness and departed, so quite possibly this happened to the men who left and we are told the women stayed and called Jesus Lord, ...write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people, ...I personally believe we will see her in Heaven, ...that's just my opinion.

Blessings,

Gene

Hey Calvin,

Hopefully you believe that once a person is saved they are going to Heaven, not wanting to start a debate here, just to give and example, so they can enter Heaven as either a carnal child of God or a spiritual/mature child of God, which do you think would be more important? Or, how about, every sin we commit, other than sexual sin, is outside of our bodies, however sexual sin is in our body and causes death, or, every sin and blasphemy man commits will be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is the unpardonable sin?

All of God's Word is Truth, but there are warnings in it to us that we need/must take heed to for our well-being, Jesus taught this when He used the term verily when giving an admonition, sometimes once, sometimes twice. ...A person can believe and be saved, but not baptized and still enter Heaven, or a person can believe, be saved and baptized, but remain in the spiritual state of infancy, as a babe in Christ, not advancing through the spiritual states of childhood, youth and finally adulthood, and still enter Heaven, ...so maybe it would be better understood if I rephrased my statement to say,

Ooops, Father showed me another instance of the writing by Finger of God, much more important to us for our well-being than those listed.

Looking back over this thread I see we have a 3-4 comparison as the Lord used elsewhere, three instances of judgement and one of blessing. (That's neat!) PTL

Blessings,

Gene

Back