Women At The Well

Women At The Well

This samaritan women at the well came thirsty, but I believe she left the well full of livivng water...

John 4:7-28
7 There cometh a woman of Sa-ma'-ri-a to dram water; Jesus saith unto her, Give me to drink.
8 (For his disciples were gone away unto the city to buy meat.)
9 Then saith the woman of Sa-ma'-ri-a unto him, How is it that thou, being a Jew, askest drink of me, which ama woman of Sa-ma'-ri-a? for the Jews have no dealings with the Sa-mar'-i-tans.
10 Jesus answered and said unto her, If though knewest the gift of God, and who it is that saith to thee, Give me to drink; thou wouldest have asked of him, and he would have given the living water.
11 The woman saith unto him, Sir, thou hast nothing to draw with, and the well is deep: from whence then hast thou that living water?
12 Art thou greater than our father Jacob, which gave us the well, and drank therof himself, and his children, and his cattle?
13 Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that i shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that i shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.
15 The woman saith unto him, Sir, give me this water, that i thirst not, neither come hither to draw.
16 Jesus saith unto her, Go, call thy husband, and come hither.
17 The woman answered and said, I have no husband. Jesus said unto her, Thou hast well said, I have no husband:
18 For thou hast had five husbands; and he whom thou now hast is not thy husband: in that saidst thou truly.
19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a profit.
20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship.
21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the father.
22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the jews.
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
24 God is a spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
25 The woman saith unto him, I know that Mes-si'-as cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.
26 Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.
27 And upon this came his desciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?
28 The woman then left her waterpot, and went her way into the city, and saith to the men,
29 Come, see a man, which told me all things that ever I did: is not this the Christ?

What do you think is the significance that the woman left her pot at the well? I feel she recieved more than what she came for, how about you?
blessings.:smiley110:

It's really a beautiful story! I would think she left her pot at the well because it no longer had her attention. Telling the "boys" all about the change in her life became her priority. She was so excited about the river flowing inside of her that she forgot all the cares of this world. I think that is beautiful.

It's really a beautiful story! I would think she left her pot at the well because it no longer had her attention. Telling the "boys" all about the change in her life became her priority. She was so excited about the river flowing inside of her that she forgot all the cares of this world. I think that is beautiful.

That is for sure sis! She had no interest in it, i like how you stated it. Yup, one of my favorites in the bible, what a blessed woman to have got to have a face to face conversation with JESUS!

Amen SweetSurrender...

In her joy of discovery she forgot her water jar.

It was more important to her now to share her new faith.

Indeed

As sweet surrender has mentioned the pot that was left at the well does indeed represent the things which are of this world. The temporal cares of our world distract us from the things of Heaven. Once, our savior revealed Himself to her and how she would no longer be forced to worry about the worldly concerns, she would no longer need to carry that pot.

Moreover, I would add here that the pot might also represent the burderns that each of us carry through life. Our failures, sins, cares, fears et al, a multiple and heavy set of yokes to have on around our necks. However, Christ, being our Lord, has already told us that His yoke is easy, and His burden is light.
Matthew 11:29 - 30

the proof of jesus being with the father is evident in the words.only God could know about the womans husbands and if she was telling the truth.to be honest did anybody lie to jesus himself.?

As sweet surrender has mentioned the pot that was left at the well does indeed represent the things which are of this world. The temporal cares of our world distract us from the things of Heaven. Once, our savior revealed Himself to her and how she would no longer be forced to worry about the worldly concerns, she would no longer need to carry that pot.

Moreover, I would add here that the pot might also represent the burderns that each of us carry through life. Our failures, sins, cares, fears et al, a multiple and heavy set of yokes to have on around our necks. However, Christ, being our Lord, has already told us that His yoke is easy, and His burden is light.
Matthew 11:29 - 30

I agree she left the material thing because Jesus is so much better, just as we're saying here.

But I clearly remember my dear Mum often saying: "God first; others second; self last." Something she lived out. But was she right? And if she was, do we do this?

I think our order is more like this: Jesus first; us second (including the things we love Jesus doing for us); and others can wait in line and we may get to them - provided it doesn't inconvenience us too much. I don't mean that as a negative statement one little bit. It's something Beloved and I sadly discovered in our own lives, that being uncaring of others, especially those in deep need, always came after OUR needs were met!

But thanks to a wondrous and loving and forgiving God, we've slowly been enabled to change. And I wrote a Message on this because most Christians don't seem to know that if we ignore the needy, then we are NOT welcome in heaven, but instead are sent straight to hell - with a CURSE ringing in our ears (see v. 41).

Below are Jesus' words. First he speaks of the sheep and the goats. Then of the righteous and blessed, as opposed to the cursed. Do you think it could possibly be that we think we're the righteous when we're not? If we are the righteous, then after reading the verses below, let's speak forth and recount exactly HOW we are helping the needy? (I usually call them the 'desperately needy' for they are the ones for us to minister to.) And finally, exactly WHY is it that we WOULD/SHOULD be doing this in any case? (Note the clue in the 'surprised' question of the righteous in vv. 37-39).

Matthew Ch 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory.
32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats.
33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in;
36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’
37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink?
38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?
39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’
40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink;
43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
44 “Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’
45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Food for thought?

- BM

Wow!!
Everyone has posted such beautiful and wonderful answer's. Thank you so much for your thoughts on this. I love these scripture's and love the new way that everyone has me thinking on them. blessings to ya'll!

When her life was completely changed she couldn't help but tell others.

Acts 4:20
For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.

The old life had passed away and she was completely new.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

She put off the old life and old ways ( refering to the pot) and put on the new. We don't go back to that old life because we have a new life in Christ.

Romans 13:14
But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof

She forgot the past and didn't look back or she couldn't have gone forward in the Lord.

Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before

She left all to follow Him

Matthew 19:29
And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life

What was in her past was nothing compared to what she had now in Christ.

Philippians 3:8
Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ

When her life was completely changed she couldn't help but tell others.

0005.gif
0014.gif

She was seeing through spiritual eyes instead of physical eyes.

She was being lead by a spiritual heart instead of a physical heart.

Back