Women in the church

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd agree with @geralduk's assessment of the original post - we can't explain these things to unbelievers. The world cannot understand the things of God, as we learn from 1 Corinthians 1 and 2. That said, it's very important that we have this discussion and that we're firmly established in the truth of scripture. This is one of the principles of the faith which the enemy - particularly in recent times - is keen to have us give up. In Christendom, it's quite widely been given up. The issues of politics, humanism, and feminism have already been mentioned, so I won't cover that ground again. Suffice it to say that worldly and antichristian influences have been allowed in, concerning the place of women in the assembly. Far too often, when professing Christians (and even, sadly, real believers) are challenged about these things, they fall back on these worldly ideas and arguments. The simple understanding of the plain language of scripture is complicated by man's thinking. One of the worst examples of this is the claim that men (as in, males) aren't qualified to address this issue - this is 'feminist' thinking as its darkest.

The scripture says this: "for it is a shame for a woman to speak in assembly." (1 Corinthians 14:35). This is not, as some claim, a specific instruction to the Corinthians due to local conditions. It's a general, unvarying principle. It would the same in Rome, in the assemblies of Galatia, in Ephesus. An instruction is given, that women should be silent, and then a reason is given as to why that is comely. Brethren, we have to be simple in our understanding of scripture and take God at His word.

The matter of women not being permitted to teach men is another general principle. "... but I do not suffer a woman to teach nor to exercise authority over man, but to be in quietness; for Adam was formed first, then Eve: and Adam was not deceived; but the woman, having been deceived, was in transgression." - 1 Timothy 2:12-14. It can't be argued that this instruction only applied in a specific place - it was written to Timothy, not to an assembly. The underlying principle is universal: Adam was formed before Eve, Eve was deceived.

The departure from the simplicity of scriptural truth in Christendom allows the infiltration of these modes of thinking. What we have in Christendom today are countless organisations called churches, which are set up by man, not by God. These man-made organisations are given names other than the name of Christ, so that believers are gathering to the Church of Such-and-such, or the So-and-so Church, and not to His Name. Because these are man's organisations, set up without any trace of scriptural authority, the Holy Spirit is grieved - the Spirit who is the energy and organisation of the Church has been overlooked in favour of man's efforts and organisation. So we have a formalisation of the positions of authority in the Church - pastors are chosen by the congregations (something never contemplated in scripture), elders are chosen by the congregations (something only done by the apostles in scripture), offices are created for music pastors and children's pastors (again, unscriptural). These offices of the church are filled by man's appointment, and the officers are paid a wage (not an idea we find in scripture). And so we have such a wholesale departure from the word of God that the door is wide open to worldly ideas and worldly principles - man's mind having been so widely relied on. If a salaried position in an organisation is advertised, how can an organisation discriminate against certain applicants? How can a woman be excluded from an office? How can a person who is wilfully pursuing a sinful lifestyle be excluded, if they're doing nothing wrong in the eyes of the law of the land? How can a person who is not even a believer be refused? They can, in most places, but for how long?

These infiltrations of the enemy and failures of God's people are nothing new, as we can see from the history of the testimony. But rather than just accepting the situation we find ourselves in as if nothing can be done, it's our solemn duty before God to humble ourselves, and earnestly and open-heartedly seek His mind for the present day.

I'll let you men have your fun disassembling the word of God.

I think you misunderstand what we are saying, women and men have equal importance under God, yet different responsibilities. Like in a marriage, the woman is to be submissive, and the man is supposed to love the wife as Christ loved the church. Neither can function both rolls, and they both combine to make one flesh. 1st Timothy, 1st Corinthians, Titus, Ephesians, Hebrews, and Galatians all speak about the submissive roll of a woman. While at the same time they talk about the importance for a man to be a God fearing leader

I'll let you men have your fun disassembling the word of God.
Dear sister... because we're men, does that preclude us from having a clear understanding of the issue? Does it make us biased, or prejudiced? I would hope not. I'd hope, as well, that those of us who hold these principles as we believe they're given to us in God's word wouldn't be accused of regarding women as in any way inferior. That would be the world's way of thinking - that if women are given this place and not that place, then they must be regarded as inferior. The world's system encourages discontent and ambition, the seeking of place. It's the spirit of Diotrephes (3 John 1:9), love of the first place. The divine system puts everything and everyone in their place, and if we're subject to the divine ordering, we'll be shown the wisdom and perfection of that ordering. Observing the divine ordering tends to peace. And in that ordering, there's no thought of superiority or inferiority; Philippians 2:3 doesn't make any distinctions about male or female, with gift or without, with office or without - we're all to be "in lowliness of mind, each esteeming the other as more excellent than themselves".

A woman who's subject in her place in the divine ordering is morally and spiritually superior to a man who isn't subject in his place. We see features of Christ in someone who's subject in their place. One element of the perfection of the Manhood of the Lord Jesus was His perfect subjection to the will of His God and Father, the taking up of the place required of Him, and in doing so, He "emptied himself, taking a bondman's form" (Philippians 2:7). Subjection in the divine ordering is a dignified thing, and we have its unmatched Exemplar (in that, as in all things) in the Lord Jesus. Is says of Him in Philippians 2 that He "did not esteem it an object of rapine to be on an equality with God" - His essential, divine greatness and majesty didn't prevent Him from emptying Himself and taking on the form of a servant. Whatever place He would be called upon to fill in His Father's will, He entered into unquestioningly.

1 Corinthians 11:5 speaks of praying and prophesying women. There's something very dignified about that. That doesn't, of course, refer to vocal praying or prophecy in the assembly, but it serves to show that women are to be engaged in these things. I'm privileged to know a good many praying and prophesying sisters, and their spiritual stature is substantial. I've often been helped by a remark a sister's made. Simply because women are to be silent in the assembly and aren't to teach or have authority over men, that doesn't mean that they can't speak from God, and minister to the people of God. Of course, the man-made systems we see in Christendom with their systems of ordination really force the issue, and cause all sorts of difficulties over women 'ministers' and women 'bishops'. When believers simply gather to the Name of the Lord Jesus and allow the Holy Spirit to operate, and for gifted people to exercise their gifts without the constraints of man-made office, these issues don't arise. Everything falls into place when organisation and direction in the assembly is acknowledged as the right of divine Persons.

Last edited:
women are to be silent in the assembly and aren't to teach or have authority over men,

You have it wrong brother. It is not "women" who are to be silent, but "wives".

1Co 14:34.. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35.. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The wife is to keep silence in the church, and if she learns anything let her ask her husband when they get home.

If this was not the case then someone would need to tell the Holy Spirit that he should not have had all the women in the upper room along with the 120 keep their mouths shut on the day of Pentecost, when they ALL spoke in tongues, and prophesied in the assembly.

Someone really needed to tell the Apostle Paul that he should have rebuked the Church at Cenchrea because they had a women "deacon" in their Church.

Rom 16:1.. NOW I introduce and commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Cenchreae, (AMP)

That doesn't, of course, refer to vocal praying or prophecy in the assembly, but it serves to show that women are to be engaged in these things.
In my Pentecostal church - The Revival Fellowship - where we operate the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit at assembly meetings [1Corinthians 14]
women equally participate in tongues, interpretation and prophesy.
As to special prayer and fast meetings or whenever the congregation needs to pray together in tongues women are also part
of this.
But, women may not become pastors or elders, and are are not permitted to preach from the platform.

Suffice it to say that worldly and antichristian influences have been allowed in, concerning the place of women in the assembly.
Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers,
to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.
Acts 20:29 For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.
Acts 20:30 Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them.

Rom 16:1.. NOW I introduce and commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deaconess of the church at Cenchreae, (AMP)
Romans 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
G1249 diakonos Probably from διάκω diakō (obsolete, to run on errands; compare G1377); an attendant,
that is, (generally) a waiter (at table or in other menial duties);
References in translation to church offices - bishop, deacon, minister arise out of cultural history in that the translators were participants in
Catholic and Anglican churches where such titles were used.
1Peter 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
The word Bishop is definitely not in the original Greek, but rather G1985 episkopos is a superintendent or overseer -
bishop, deacon and other church office titles are cultural references to Christian Roman tradition already some 1500 years old.

I think you misunderstand what we are saying, women and men have equal importance under God, yet different responsibilities. Like in a marriage, the woman is to be submissive, and the man is supposed to love the wife as Christ loved the church. Neither can function both rolls, and they both combine to make one flesh. 1st Timothy, 1st Corinthians, Titus, Ephesians, Hebrews, and Galatians all speak about the submissive roll of a woman. While at the same time they talk about the importance for a man to be a God fearing leader

Submissive in what way? Therein lies the rub.

There is no such role of submissiveness for a woman, except for a wife to her husband, and that is the implication of respect for him.

Romans 16:1 I commend unto you Phebe our sister, which is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea:
G1249 diakonos Probably from διάκω diakō (obsolete, to run on errands; compare G1377); an attendant,
References in translation to church offices - bishop, deacon, minister arise out of cultural history in that the translators were participants in
1Peter 2:25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.
The word Bishop is definitely not in the original Greek, but rather G1985 episkopos is a superintendent or overseer -
bishop, deacon and other church office titles are cultural references to Christian Roman tradition already some 1500 years old.

I use "The complete Word Study" which far exceeds anything that "strongs" Concordance interprets. Even though I use both TCWS, gives far more information about a words definition, probably more than you would want to know.
The exact same Greek word is used in these scripture also describing "deacons" . 1 Tim 3:8, 1 Tim 3:13, Php 1:1

διάκονος
diákonos; gen. diakónou, masc., fem. noun. A minister, servant, deacon.

Dear sister... because we're men, does that preclude us from having a clear understanding of the issue? Does it make us biased, or prejudiced? I would hope not. I'd hope, as well, that those of us who hold these principles as we believe they're given to us in God's word wouldn't be accused of regarding women as in any way inferior. That would be the world's way of thinking - that if women are given this place and not that place, then they must be regarded as inferior. The world's system encourages discontent and ambition, the seeking of place. It's the spirit of Diotrephes (3 John 1:9), love of the first place. The divine system puts everything and everyone in their place, and if we're subject to the divine ordering, we'll be shown the wisdom and perfection of that ordering. Observing the divine ordering tends to peace. And in that ordering, there's no thought of superiority or inferiority; Philippians 2:3 doesn't make any distinctions about male or female, with gift or without, with office or without - we're all to be "in lowliness of mind, each esteeming the other as more excellent than themselves".

A woman who's subject in her place in the divine ordering is morally and spiritually superior to a man who isn't subject in his place. We see features of Christ in someone who's subject in their place. One element of the perfection of the Manhood of the Lord Jesus was His perfect subjection to the will of His God and Father, the taking up of the place required of Him, and in doing so, He "emptied himself, taking a bondman's form" (Philippians 2:7). Subjection in the divine ordering is a dignified thing, and we have its unmatched Exemplar (in that, as in all things) in the Lord Jesus. Is says of Him in Philippians 2 that He "did not esteem it an object of rapine to be on an equality with God" - His essential, divine greatness and majesty didn't prevent Him from emptying Himself and taking on the form of a servant. Whatever place He would be called upon to fill in His Father's will, He entered into unquestioningly.

1 Corinthians 11:5 speaks of praying and prophesying women. There's something very dignified about that. That doesn't, of course, refer to vocal praying or prophecy in the assembly, but it serves to show that women are to be engaged in these things. I'm privileged to know a good many praying and prophesying sisters, and their spiritual stature is substantial. I've often been helped by a remark a sister's made. Simply because women are to be silent in the assembly and aren't to teach or have authority over men, that doesn't mean that they can't speak from God, and minister to the people of God. Of course, the man-made systems we see in Christendom with their systems of ordination really force the issue, and cause all sorts of difficulties over women 'ministers' and women 'bishops'. When believers simply gather to the Name of the Lord Jesus and allow the Holy Spirit to operate, and for gifted people to exercise their gifts without the constraints of man-made office, these issues don't arise. Everything falls into place when organisation and direction in the assembly is acknowledged as the right of divine Persons.

Women who prophesy in the assembly are also preaching.Preaching under the power of the Holy Spirit often includes the prophetic rendering of scripture, or rhema to the listener. Holy Spirit is not tied down by any rules of anointing concerning the gender of those He desires to anoint.

You are believing and attempting to teach something that has been thwarted for centuries.

Phoebe was a deacon, and in today's vernacular, a pastor.

In my Pentecostal church - The Revival Fellowship - where we operate the voice gifts of the Holy Spirit at assembly meetings [1Corinthians 14]
women equally participate in tongues, interpretation and prophesy.
As to special prayer and fast meetings or whenever the congregation needs to pray together in tongues women are also part
of this.
But, women may not become pastors or elders, and are are not permitted to preach from the platform.

In your church. Not in mine...praise Jesus.

Phoebe was a deacon, and in today's vernacular, a pastor.

Umm, I'd quibble on that.

In today's vernacular, "pastor" is what was an "elder" in the 1st century. A "deacon" was more of a "designated servant" in the congregation--a person explicitly identified as having a continuous serving role to the congregation. In today's congregations, people working in various support ministries should be called "deacons," and whatever authority they need to carry out their service roles is delegated to them from the "elders."

Political correctness is not the road to sound doctrine and salvation...
but accepting the word of God for what it says and being obedient to it, regardless of its challenges...
I am actually expected to love and forgive others that I don't particularly like or agree with...
I am actually expected to suffer wrong and offences for the sake of the gospel...
I am expected to esteem others higher that myself...
Always to be humble, sober, God fearing, gentle, kind, generous, tolerant, forgiving, serving others...
if you are going to argue over the Word of God as to what parts you will obey and do, and what parts you refuse
to accept and obey... then you might as well call it quits.

Umm, I'd quibble on that.

In today's vernacular, "pastor" is what was an "elder" in the 1st century. A "deacon" was more of a "designated servant" in the congregation--a person explicitly identified as having a continuous serving role to the congregation. In today's congregations, people working in various support ministries should be called "deacons," and whatever authority they need to carry out their service roles is delegated to them from the "elders."

People who lead are servant-leaders. Deacons are servant-leaders. Pastors are servant-leaders, and Phoebe was a servant-leader in the church at Cenchrae.

Where do people "prophesy"? In a Church (assembly) setting? Who is going to prophecy in these last days? Son's and daughters. Men, and women as God is no respecter of gender, as in Christ there is no male, or female!! (Gal 3:28) Many times if not most of the time preaching or teaching is prophesying.

Act 2:17.. "'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams;
Act 2:18.. even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.

Not only did Anna (a women) prophecy in the temple every day, she also preached about the coming messiah to all those who were waiting redemption every hour!!!

Luke 2:36.. And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived with her husband seven years from when she was a virgin,
Luke 2:37.. and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day.
Luke 2:38.. And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem.

The world's system encourages discontent and ambition, the seeking of place.
Amen brother. Just as the disciples argued and debated over who would be the greatest and who would sit on the right hand of Jesus in the kingdom, then Jesus brings them back to reality of what "cup" they would have to drink from. He sums it up in Matt 20:26
whoever desires to become great among you, let him be your servant.
27 And whoever desires to be first among you, let him be your slave--
28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many."

You have it wrong brother. It is not "women" who are to be silent, but "wives".

1Co 14:34.. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law.
1Co 14:35.. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church.

The wife is to keep silence in the church, and if she learns anything let her ask her husband when they get home.

If this was not the case then someone would need to tell the Holy Spirit that he should not have had all the women in the upper room along with the 120 keep their mouths shut on the day of Pentecost, when they ALL spoke in tongues, and prophesied in the assembly.

Someone really needed to tell the Apostle Paul that he should have rebuked the Church at Cenchrea because they had a women "deacon" in their Church.

Doesn't the scripture speak for itself here? It doesn't speak about wives, but women. It is a shame for women in general to speak in the church, not married women. And why should unmarried women be permitted to speak, and married women be forbidden?

It should be noted that in Acts 1:15, when Peter stands up in the midst of the brethren, he addresses them as "Men, brethren". That's the literal translation. However, I wouldn't insist on their being no women there on the strength of that. I would, however, suggest that the events of Pentecost were unique and exceptional. It was a great demonstration of the Spirit's power. Later, by Paul, there's an unfolding of the truth of the assembly, and in his ministry we have the thought of the Headship of Christ. Paul writes to Timothy, "in order that thou mayest know how one ought to conduct oneself in God's house" (1 Timothy 3:15). There were matters of order which are set out in Paul's ministry.

As for deaconesses, there's no scriptural record that they spoke in the assembly, or were required to do so. Deacons are ministers, not pastors or teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back