Women of the Bible

Women in the Bible are wives, mothers and daughters, servants, slaves and prostitutes. As both victors and victims, some women in the Bible change the course of important events while others are powerless to affect even their own destinies. The majority of women in the Bible are anonymous and unnamed.

I thought that with so many Ladies on the forum, it might be a good idea to talk about and inform all of us some of these women who shaped Biblical history.

Through all the books ever written and studies made, Christian women need to know that there is no shortage of incredible women in the Bible, and each one has a unique story to tell. These remind us that God uses ordinary women to do extraordinary things.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and ideas to these ladies.

1. EVE.
I picked her 1st simply because she was the FIRST woman. She was the FIRST wife and the FIRST mother and First Grandmother.

Eve is the mother of all humanity. Her story teaches us about the dangers of disobedience and the power of redemption and the power of deception by Satan. Eve was given two names by Adam. The first was the generic "woman." Later, after the fall, Adam gave her the proper name Eve, meaning "life," referring to her role in the procreation of the human race.

In the Bible, Eve is best known as the wife of Adam and the mother of Cain and Abel. Some Bible scholars believe that Eve had twins, Cain and Abel however there is little to NO Scripture to confirm that idea.

The Bible says that she had THREE children. Abel, Cain and Seth. However, she and Adam were told to "Populate the Earth in Genesis 1:28......
"God blessed them and said to them ‘Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it’” .

Purely speculation tells us that if Eve's normal gestational period was 9 months and had twins no more than average (1 in 86) and that Eve lived approximately the same amount of time as Adam (again an argument from lack of evidence), then we can say:.......................

1. 800 years / 9 months per child (assuming no rest between children) = 1000
2. Twins appear in 1 out of every 86 births = 11
We can then establish an upper limit for Adam and Eve having a maximum of 1011 children. I AM NOT SAYING that is what happened.
I am only saying that the MATH says what is possible. Again. literal Scripture says that she had THREE.

However, it must be remembered that when Cain was removed from Eden, he ran to the land of NOD and "there he knew his wife".
Common sense then tells us that Eve had other children and at least one was a female who became the wife of Cain.

She is also often portrayed as the temptress who led Adam astray, causing them both to be expelled from the Garden of Eden. However, there is more to Eve than meets the eye.

First, it should be noted that Eve was created after Adam, which suggests that she was not intended to be subordinate to him.

Second, when Eve was tempted by the serpent, she did not immediately give in; instead, she debated with it and only ate the fruit when she was convinced that it was for the progress of mankind.

This shows that she was capable of independent thought and action.

Finally, Eve is often described as a helpmate for Adam, which indicates that she was his equal in intelligence and ability.

Now, we tend to be sympathetic toward Eve, considering her inexperience and naivety. We say, well most all of us would have done what she did!

But God had been clear: ........
"Eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and you will die."

What is often overlooked is that Adam was with his wife when she was being tempted. As her husband and protector, he was responsible for intervening but did not. HE was the FEDERAL HEAD of the family and For this reason, neither Eve nor Adam was singled out as being more at fault than the other. Both were held equally responsible and punished as transgressors.

OK. No one has any input on EVE. Lets consider SARAH.

We see Sarai 1st in Genesis 12:5.............
"And Abram took Sarai his wife, and Lot his brother's son, and all their substance that they had gathered, and the souls that they had gotten in Haran; and they went forth to go into the land of Canaan; and into the land of Canaan they came."

Sarai a wife and mother who was chosen by God to be the founding matriarch of Israel. Her story teaches us about faithfulness and obedience. She left her home willingly, alongside Abraham and endured a great deal to try to provide an heir for her husband. She also did everything in her power to keep her husband safe in dangerous territories.

Sarai was one of the most important women of the Bible. She was the wife of Abraham and the mother of Isaac. Sarah was also a great example of faith.

Even though she was old, she believed that God would give her a son. And she was right! When God told Sarah and Abraham that they would have a child in their old age, they both laughed. Their laughter at God’s plan showed their disbelief that He could do what He said He would do. The Bible tells us, “Then the LORD said to Abraham, ‘Why did Sarah laugh and say, ‘Will I really have a child, not that I am old?’ Is there anything too hard for the LORD? I will return to you at the appointed time next year and Sarah will have a son.’ Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, ‘I did not laugh.’ But he said, ‘Yes, you did laugh.’ (Genesis 18: 13-15). We would like to think Abraham and Sarah believed God at once without any doubt, but this is not the case. They find God’s Word nearly impossible to believe.

God promised Sarah and Abraham children (Genesis 15:5; 22:17). Yet, when this didn’t take place as quickly as they thought it should, they became impatient with God and took matters into their own control. Sarah was still childless, so she told Abraham to sleep with her handmaid, so that they might get a child from the union. A son was born from this union; his name was Ishmael.
He was an "ILLIGITAMATE CHILD!

This baby would wind up being the ARABS of Today!

God did give her a son, and Sarai named him Isaac, which means “he who laughs.”
Isaac was the name of the son that came from the union of Sarah and Abraham; it would be through Isaac that the nations would be blessed. He became the JEWS of today. He was the LEGITIMATE CHILD. We learn through Sarah and Abraham’s actions that the plan we have for ourselves isn’t always the plan that God has for us. We need to trust in God’s plans and He will make our paths straight.

Sarai is an important figure in the Old Testament. She is a role model of faith for all believers and an example of how God keeps His promises.

Sarai is an important woman in the Bible because she teaches us that we can always trust God.

Sarai is an important woman in the Bible because she teaches us that we can always trust God.

Rebekah

Rebekah is the wife and mother who was chosen by God to be the wife of Isaac (sons are Jacob and Esau), the father of Israel. Her story teaches us about faithfulness and obedience.

Rebekah was the daughter of Bethuel and the sister of Laban, the great-niece of Abraham, and the sister of Laban. Rebecca became the wife of Isaac, who was the promised son of Abraham and Sarah.

The Hebrew meaning for the name Rebecc” is “to tie firmly” or “a noose.”
Applied to a female, the figure suggests her beauty by means of which men are snared or bound. Thus another meaning of Rebekah is that of “captivating,” according to BibleGateway.

She lived in the city of Nahor in Mesopotamia.

When Abraham’s servant came to Nahor in search of a wife for Isaac, he asked Rebekah’s family if she could return with him to Canaan.

Rebekah agreed to go, and she soon married Isaac.

Rebekah was a faithful wife and mother, but she faced several challenges in her life.

For example, she was unable to have children for many years. But she persevered in her faith, and eventually she gave birth to twins: Esau and Jacob. When Rebecca became pregnant with twins, she was confused because “the babies jostled each other within her, and she said, ‘Why is this happening to me?’ So she went to inquire of the LORD” (Genesis 25:22).

The Lord responded in Gen. 25:23.........
“Two nations are in your womb, and two people from within you will be separated; one people will be stronger than the other, and the older will serve the young.”

A highlight of Rebecca’s life is her actions in the deception of her husband, Isaac. Esau was the firstborn of Isaac and Rebecca and, therefore, was entitled to the blessing. But Rebecca orchestrated a plan for her younger son, Jacob, to receive the blessing instead.

Isaac was of an elderly age, between the age of 132 and 137, and wanted to bestow the blessing prior to his death. His mother died at 137 and the Sages taught that the child dies near the same age of the parent who died first. Knowing that his death was nearing, Isaac request Esau: in Gen 27:3-4..........
“Take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me, and prepare for me delicious food, such as I love, and bring it to me that I may eat, that my soul may bless you before I die” .

Rebecca was listening to Isaac’s request and told Jacob to “go to the flock and bring me two good young goats, so that I may prepare from them delicious food for your father, such as he loves” in Gen. 27:9.
Then Isaac would believe Jacob to be Esau and give the younger son the firstborn’s blessing.

But Jacob was concerned this plan to deceive his father might fail, even with Isaac’s deteriorating vision, because Esau was a hairy man and he was clean-shaven. Rebecca’s solution was to dress Jacob in Esau’s clothing. She also put the hairy skins of the young goats on Jacob’s hands and neck to resemble the feeling of a “hairy man” such as Esau.

The farce was finally unveiled when Esau returned.

The circumstances surrounding Rebecca’s death are not mentioned in the Bible. But her burial place is mentioned as It was the cave where Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, were also already buried.

By utilizing the Torah, one can ascertain that Rebecca was either 120 or 134 years of the age at the time of her death.

Abraham was 86 years old when Ishmael was born and lived another 51 years. Abraham was 100 when Isaac was born. Isaac was 60 when both Jacob and Esau were born. The Talmud notes that Jacob did not arrive at Laban’s until he was 77 because he spent 14 years studying at a Jewish educational institution. Jacob spent 20 years with Laban which would indicate him to be 97 years old. Rebecca died soon thereafter and, therefore, would have been 120 or 134 depending upon the exact age at her marriage.

I like how most of the women in the bible are good and faithful and devoted except maybe a few. And I really cannot despise Eve because she was tricked. It seemed most of the women were honoured and great role models. It’s a shame I missed out on them growing up.

Women in the Bible are wives, mothers and daughters, servants, slaves and prostitutes. As both victors and victims, some women in the Bible change the course of important events while others are powerless to affect even their own destinies. The majority of women in the Bible are anonymous and unnamed.

I thought that with so many Ladies on the forum, it might be a good idea to talk about and inform all of us some of these women who shaped Biblical history.

Through all the books ever written and studies made, Christian women need to know that there is no shortage of incredible women in the Bible, and each one has a unique story to tell. These remind us that God uses ordinary women to do extraordinary things.

Please feel free to add your thoughts and ideas to these ladies.

1. EVE.
I picked her 1st simply because she was the FIRST woman. She was the FIRST wife and the FIRST mother and First Grandmother.

Eve is the mother of all humanity. Her story teaches us about the dangers of disobedience and the power of redemption and the power of deception by Satan. Eve was given two names by Adam. The first was the generic "woman." Later, after the fall, Adam gave her the proper name Eve, meaning "life," referring to her role in the procreation of the human race.

In the Bible, Eve is best known as the wife of Adam and the mother of Cain and Abel. Some Bible scholars believe that Eve had twins, Cain and Abel however there is little to NO Scripture to confirm that idea.

The Bible says that she had THREE children. Abel, Cain and Seth. However, she and Adam were told to "Populate the Earth in Genesis 1:28......
"God blessed them and said to them ‘Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it’” .

Purely speculation tells us that if Eve's normal gestational period was 9 months and had twins no more than average (1 in 86) and that Eve lived approximately the same amount of time as Adam (again an argument from lack of evidence), then we can say:.......................

1. 800 years / 9 months per child (assuming no rest between children) = 1000
2. Twins appear in 1 out of every 86 births = 11
We can then establish an upper limit for Adam and Eve having a maximum of 1011 children. I AM NOT SAYING that is what happened.
I am only saying that the MATH says what is possible. Again. literal Scripture says that she had THREE.

However, it must be remembered that when Cain was removed from Eden, he ran to the land of NOD and "there he knew his wife".
Common sense then tells us that Eve had other children and at least one was a female who became the wife of Cain.

She is also often portrayed as the temptress who led Adam astray, causing them both to be expelled from the Garden of Eden. However, there is more to Eve than meets the eye.

First, it should be noted that Eve was created after Adam, which suggests that she was not intended to be subordinate to him.

Second, when Eve was tempted by the serpent, she did not immediately give in; instead, she debated with it and only ate the fruit when she was convinced that it was for the progress of mankind.

This shows that she was capable of independent thought and action.

Finally, Eve is often described as a helpmate for Adam, which indicates that she was his equal in intelligence and ability.

Now, we tend to be sympathetic toward Eve, considering her inexperience and naivety. We say, well most all of us would have done what she did!

But God had been clear: ........
"Eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil and you will die."

What is often overlooked is that Adam was with his wife when she was being tempted. As her husband and protector, he was responsible for intervening but did not. HE was the FEDERAL HEAD of the family and For this reason, neither Eve nor Adam was singled out as being more at fault than the other. Both were held equally responsible and punished as transgressors.
I was of the impression that God made this command of Adam, and that Eve was created after this. So, did Eve disobey God or Adam?

rtm

I was of the impression that God made this command of Adam, and that Eve was created after this. So, did Eve disobey God or Adam?

BOTH.
Gen. 2:15.........
"Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

This verse makes it clear that Eve was the first to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. God had told Adam not to eat from the tree, but Eve also had knowledge of this (Genesis 3:2–3). Adam ate but only after Eve. From this verse alone it might be easy to think that Eve is indeed to blame for original sin since she sinned first.

God told Adam because he was the head of the family unit. That is called FEDERAL HEADSHIP.

Even though Eve sinned before Adam, God questioned Adam first (Genesis 3:9). This was because of the leadership role God ordained for husbands in marriage. Adam, as the leader of the family, was held responsible, not only for his own sin of eating from the tree, but also because he did not provide adequate protection for his wife, allowing her to sin.

also because he did not provide adequate protection for his wife, allowing her to sin.

That’s a really interesting perspective. At first glance I, (and maybe other women) would think this is controlling behaviour.

But mens role as protector seems to be missing today amongst the new generations of “equal rights” and this kind of usurps the man’s natural leader or masculine qualities ☹️

That’s a really interesting perspective. At first glance I, (and maybe other women) would think this is controlling behaviour.

But mens role as protector seems to be missing today amongst the new generations of “equal rights” and this kind of usurps the man’s natural leader or masculine qualities ☹️

Man as head of the household is not modern feminine thinking! The MAN was to be the HEAD of the woman.
Women do not like that but it is God's plan from the beginning.

Eph. 5:25,28 –
"just as wives must submit to their husbands, husbands must “love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her…husbands should love their wives as their own bodies.”

Just as the Church is legally and morally obligated to submit to Christ, wives are obligated to submit to their husbands. This is why Paul makes the comparison between husbands and Christ, wives and the Church.

The fact that God entrusted man with the authority to lead the family unit does not mean that man should abuse the leadership role.

BOTH.
Gen. 2:15.........
"Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, “Of every tree of the garden you may freely eat; 17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

This verse makes it clear that Eve was the first to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. God had told Adam not to eat from the tree, but Eve also had knowledge of this (Genesis 3:2–3). Adam ate but only after Eve. From this verse alone it might be easy to think that Eve is indeed to blame for original sin since she sinned first.

God told Adam because he was the head of the family unit. That is called FEDERAL HEADSHIP.

Even though Eve sinned before Adam, God questioned Adam first (Genesis 3:9). This was because of the leadership role God ordained for husbands in marriage. Adam, as the leader of the family, was held responsible, not only for his own sin of eating from the tree, but also because he did not provide adequate protection for his wife, allowing her to sin.
Ok, I see what you are saying. Being former military, I get that. However, I had always thought that Adam took the hit because God commanded him and not Eve.

Ray

Ok, I see what you are saying. Being former military, I get that. However, I had always thought that Adam took the hit because God commanded him and not Eve.

Ray
You said.......
"Adam took the hit because God commanded him and not Eve."

Correct. That is what "Federal Headship" means. God saying it to Adam was the same as God saying it to Eve.

Rachel

Rachel is the wife to Jacob and was chosen by God to be the mother of Joseph, one of the most important figures in the Bible. Her story teaches us about faithfulness and waiting on the Lord. She was married to Jacob only after her father Laban had deceived Jacob into marrying Rachel's sister Leah first. Jacob favored Rachel because she was prettier. Rachel's sons became heads of the twelve tribes of Israel.

Rachel is one of the most well-known women of the Bible. She is known for her beauty, her kindness, and her loyalty.

She was a devoted wife and mother, and she was fiercely protective of her family. That is one of the traits of a great woman!

Rachel’s story is one of tragedy and loss, but also of hope and redemption.

After years of living with her husband and her father’s family, she is able to return with her husband and children to his homeland. Although we don’t know much about her death, Rachel’s legacy lives on through her two son’s Joseph and Benjamin.

Josheph
had the most influence, saving Israel during a famine. Benjamin's tribe produced the apostle Paul, the greatest missionary of ancient times. The love between Rachel and Jacob serves as an example to married couples of God's abiding blessings.

Her story is an inspiration to all who read it, and a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is always hope.

Leah

Leah’s story teaches us about love and sacrifice.

Leah was one of the wives of Jacob, and the mother of six of his children. She was the elder sister of Rachel, Jacob’s other wife.

Leah is often portrayed as a meek and submissive woman, but she was also fiercely faithful to her family.

Leah’s story is a reminder that even the most unlikely people can display great courage and fortitude.

Leah’s first mention in the Bible comes in the story of Jacob. After Jacob tricked his father and stole his brother’s birthright (Genesis 27:1–29), he was forced to flee to the home of his uncle Laban in Harran. There Jacob fell in love with Laban’s younger daughter, Rachel. Leah, being the older daughter, should have been the first to marry, but, unfortunately, she was homely, whereas Rachel was beautiful (Genesis 29:17). Because of his love for Rachel, Jacob made a deal with Laban to work seven years for Rachel’s hand in marriage.

Laban threw a feast, but, instead of giving Rachel to Jacob that night, he gave him Leah. The Bible does not say how the switch was accomplished, but, in any case, Jacob slept with Leah and was shocked the next morning to find Leah in bed with him (verses 23–25). Outraged, Jacob demanded to know why Laban had given him Leah in spite of the fact that he had worked seven years for Rachel’s hand.

Laban, unapologetic for his trickery, simply told Jacob that it was tradition that the older daughter be married first (verse 26). He did, however, tell Jacob that he could still have Rachel—if he worked another seven years. After the bridal week with Leah was over (verse 27), Rachel was also wed to Jacob. Leah thus had to share her new husband with her sister after only one week alone with him.

Sadly, Jacob was obvious in loving Rachel over Leah. But the Lord had compassion on Leah and allowed her to conceive.

Leah bore a son, whom she named Reuben. The name, meaning “see, a son,” sounds similar to the Hebrew word that means “he has seen my misery.” Leah had three more sons by Jacob, and she named them Simeon, Levi, and Judah (verses 33–35). Meanwhile, Rachel became jealous of her sister’s fertility, as she herself was barren.

So Rachel followed the cultural standard of the day and gave her maid, Bilhah, to Jacob as a wife so the two would produce children for her. Jacob had two sons by Bilhah, Dan and Naphtali. Leah herself had stopped having children, and, seeing her sister’s success, she also gave her maid to Jacob (verse 9). Leah’s maid, Zilpah, had two sons, Gad and Asher, and, since the boys were legally Leah’s, Leah rejoiced at having given Jacob more offspring.

Jesus was of the tribe of Judah and therefore a descendant of Leah.

Leah

Leah’s story teaches us about love and sacrifice.

Leah was one of the wives of Jacob, and the mother of six of his children. She was the elder sister of Rachel, Jacob’s other wife.

Leah is often portrayed as a meek and submissive woman, but she was also fiercely faithful to her family.

Leah’s story is a reminder that even the most unlikely people can display great courage and fortitude.

Leah’s first mention in the Bible comes in the story of Jacob. After Jacob tricked his father and stole his brother’s birthright (Genesis 27:1–29), he was forced to flee to the home of his uncle Laban in Harran. There Jacob fell in love with Laban’s younger daughter, Rachel. Leah, being the older daughter, should have been the first to marry, but, unfortunately, she was homely, whereas Rachel was beautiful (Genesis 29:17). Because of his love for Rachel, Jacob made a deal with Laban to work seven years for Rachel’s hand in marriage.

Laban threw a feast, but, instead of giving Rachel to Jacob that night, he gave him Leah. The Bible does not say how the switch was accomplished, but, in any case, Jacob slept with Leah and was shocked the next morning to find Leah in bed with him (verses 23–25). Outraged, Jacob demanded to know why Laban had given him Leah in spite of the fact that he had worked seven years for Rachel’s hand.

Laban, unapologetic for his trickery, simply told Jacob that it was tradition that the older daughter be married first (verse 26). He did, however, tell Jacob that he could still have Rachel—if he worked another seven years. After the bridal week with Leah was over (verse 27), Rachel was also wed to Jacob. Leah thus had to share her new husband with her sister after only one week alone with him.

Sadly, Jacob was obvious in loving Rachel over Leah. But the Lord had compassion on Leah and allowed her to conceive.

Leah bore a son, whom she named Reuben. The name, meaning “see, a son,” sounds similar to the Hebrew word that means “he has seen my misery.” Leah had three more sons by Jacob, and she named them Simeon, Levi, and Judah (verses 33–35). Meanwhile, Rachel became jealous of her sister’s fertility, as she herself was barren.

So Rachel followed the cultural standard of the day and gave her maid, Bilhah, to Jacob as a wife so the two would produce children for her. Jacob had two sons by Bilhah, Dan and Naphtali. Leah herself had stopped having children, and, seeing her sister’s success, she also gave her maid to Jacob (verse 9). Leah’s maid, Zilpah, had two sons, Gad and Asher, and, since the boys were legally Leah’s, Leah rejoiced at having given Jacob more offspring.

Jesus was of the tribe of Judah and therefore a descendant of Leah.
I like that you are doing this.

Thank you

Ray

Miriam

Miriam was a prophetess and sister of Moses who led the Israelites through the wilderness. Her story teaches us about courage and faithfulness.

Miriam is one of the most iconic women in the Bible. The sister of Moses and Aaron, she was instrumental in leading the Israelites out of slavery in Egypt.

Miriam first appears in the biblical book of Exodus not long after Pharaoh decrees that all newborn Hebrew boys will be drowned in the Nile river. Miriam's mother, Yocheved, has been hiding Miriam's infant brother, Moses, for three months. But as the child grows older Yocheved decides that it is no longer safe for him at home -- after all, it would only take one ill-timed cry for an Egyptian guard to discover the child.

Yocheved puts Moses in a waterproofed wicker basket and places it in the Nile, hoping the river will carry her son to safety. Miriam follows at a distance and sees the basket float near Pharaoh's daughter, who is bathing in the Nile. Pharaoh's daughter sends one of her servants to fetch the basket from among the reeds and finds Moses when she opens it. She recognizes him as one of the Hebrew babies and feels sympathy for the child.

At this time Miriam emerges from her hiding place and approaches Pharaoh's daughter, offering to find a Hebrew woman to nurse the child. The princess agrees and Miriam brings none other than her own mother to care for Moses. "Take this baby and nurse him for me, and I will pay you," Pharaoh's daughter says to Yocheved (Exodus 2:9). Hence, as a result of Miriam's boldness, Moses was raised by his mother until he was weaned, at which time he was adopted by the princes and became a member of the Egyptian royal family.

Miriam is also a symbol of strength and resilience, as she faced many challenges during her life, including spending time in exile.

While Miriam is not as well-known as some of the other women in the Bible, she remains an important figure in both Jewish and Christian tradition.

Esther

Esther was a queen who risked her life to save her people from destruction. Her story teaches us about bravery and self-sacrifice.

The Bible is full of inspiring stories of strong and courageous women. One of these women is Esther, a Jewish girl who was taken from her home and made to marry the King of Persia.

The story of Esther begins with a grand banquet at the palace of King Ahasuerus, also referred to as King Xerxes.
This is the very same king who was seen in the movie...."300" as he invaded Greece.

The king had become drunk on wine and commanded that his wife, Queen Vashti come out before everyone to show how beautiful she was. Queen Vashti refused to be paraded before everyone. King Xerxes was so angry at her disrespect and disregard for his request that he divorced her. The king called for a nationwide beauty pageant to be held to find a new attractive queen.

A Jewish woman named Esther was taken with other young women to a citadel. Esther's cousin Mordecai had taken Esther in and raised her as his own after Esther's parents had died. A man named Hegai was put in charge of preparing the women for meeting the king. Esther's beauty won her Hegai's favor and she was given special attention. Esther was careful however to not tell anyone her nationality, as Mordecai had warned her not to.

Mordecai then refused to bow down the Haman, the highest of all nobles. When Haman found out about this and that Mordecai was a Jew, Haman became enraged with anger and wanted to kill not only just Mordecai but all of the Jewish nation. Haman convinced King Xerxes to kill all Jews as they stood in opposition to the king's rule. King Ahasuerus agreed and set a date for all Jews to be killed.

Esther went to King Xerxes after three days of fasting and the king asked her what her request was. Queen Ester asked that the king and Haman join her at a banquet the next day. The king said yes and asked Esther to let her request be known at the banquet. Haman was still so enraged with Mordecai that he went to set up a pole to impale Mordecai the morning before the banquet.

The next day was the banquet Queen Esther had called for. The king again asked Esther what her request was so he could grant her what she wanted. Esther boldly asked that she and her people be spared and that Haman had plotted to kill all Jews for money. The king was filled with anger against Haman and had him hanged on the very pole that Haman had set up for Mordecai.

Queen Esther and Mordecai were given Haman's estate. They were honored with royal garments and a decree was written to protect all Jews.

When her people were threatened with extermination, Esther risked her life to save them.

She went before the king and begged for their lives, and she was successful in winning his favor.

Because of Esther’s courage, the lives of her people were spared.

Her story is a reminder that even in difficult times, we can overcome adversity if we are brave enough to stand up and fight for what is right.

Ruth

Ruth was a Moabite woman who became the grandmother of King David. Her story teaches us about loyalty and faithfulness.

According to the Talmud (Jewish tradition), the prophet Samuel wrote the book of Ruth.

The Bible is full of inspiring stories of powerful women who made a difference in their communities and left a lasting legacy.

One such woman is Ruth, who is best known for her loyalty and devotion to her mother-in-law, Naomi.

Ruth was “of the women of Moab” but was related to Israel through Lot, the nephew of Abraham. Ruth lived in the period of the judges. She married the son of an Israelite family while they were living in Moab, but then her father-in-law, husband, and husband’s only brother all passed away. So Ruth had a choice whether to remain in her home of Moab or to go with Naomi, her mother-in-law, to Judah, a place she had never known.

Ruth also took on the role of provider, working tirelessly to gather grain so that they would not starve.

Her selfless act of kindness was repaid when she married Boaz, a wealthy man who was able to give her a life of security.

Ruth’s story teaches us the importance of loyalty, faithfulness, and hard work. She is an amazing example of what it means to be a good friend and a devoted family member.

As the story unfolds, Naomi and Ruth, appeal to Boaz to take on the role of kinsmen-redeemer. Boaz agrees and willingly takes Ruth as his wife. Together, they have a son, who they named Obed. Obed became the grandfather of David, which, of course, is the forefather of Jesus. Only God could arrange such a deal.

Ruth is a woman of great character who embodies many positive traits. She is known for her faithfulness, loyalty, virtue, and love. The characteristics of Ruth in the Bible also include her being a hard worker, and someone who takes care of those around her. We can look up to Ruth as an example of goodness and someone worth emulating.

Rahab

Rahab is one of the most unique and intriguing women in the Bible. She was A prostitute by trade, she lived in the city of Jericho during the time of the Israelite conquest. Her story is ultimately noteworthy for her great faith and for her place in the lineage of Jesus Christ. But a closer examination of the life of this remarkable Gentile woman can lead to deeper insights into God’s plan for His church and His dealing with individual believers in grace and mercy.

When Joshua and his men came to Jericho, Rahab hid them from the authorities and helped them escape. In return, she and her family were spared when Jericho was destroyed.

Rahab’s story is found in Joshua 2–6. This passage describes the conquest of the fortified city of Jericho by the Israelites. In its day, Jericho was the most important Canaanite fortress city in the Jordan Valley. It was a stronghold directly in the path of the advancing Israelites, who had just crossed the Jordan River. Before entering the land west of the Jordan, Joshua sent two spies to look over the land. The king of Jericho heard that two Israelite spies were within his city and ordered them to be brought out to him.

Rahab, the woman with whom the spies were staying, protected them by hiding them on her roof. She told them how the citizens of Jericho had been fearful of the Israelites ever since they defeated the Egyptians via the Red Sea miracle (some 40 years prior). She agreed to help them escape, provided that she and her family were spared in the upcoming battle. The spies agreed to her request, giving her three conditions to be met: ...........
1) she must distinguish her house from the others by hanging a scarlet rope out of the window so they would know which home to spare; 2) her family must be inside the house during the battle; and
3) she must not later turn on the spies.

Now watch this...........
Only Rahab and her family were spared. Ultimately, Rahab married Salmon, an Israelite from the tribe of Judah. Her son was Boaz, the husband of Ruth. Joseph, the legal father of Jesus, is her direct descendant.!!!!!

Only God could do such a thing!

Rahab’s story teaches us that anyone can be redeemed, no matter their past. Now consider YOU. You are reading in a Christian Forum. You would probably say that YOU were a Christian. BUT WHAT WERE YOU YESTERDAY, LAST YEAR, 25 YEARS AGO??????

Her act of courage and kindness saved her life, the lives of all those within her household, and earned her a place in history.

Her story is a powerful reminder that there is hope for everyone, no matter what they have done or where they come from.

Back