Worship Leading

M

Mark_18

Worship Leading

Paul Washer said in one of his sermons, about worship leading, that it's like if you were to stand in the street and just stare straight up. People will look at you, then look to where you're looking, trying to see what you're looking at.

Same with a worship leader, we listen to the singers and watch them move their hands, eyes, anything, and feel at their emotions. Looking at these things we look for what they're looking at. So then they can be showing us to things of God and in the heavens that they're looking at.

I just love good genuine worship music where God's Spirit seams to stay in even the recording, and take you up when you listen and seek.

My brother Mark; I believe you have that EXACTLY correct...what a concise description of what a worship leader is and does...a worship leader is a servant of God; worshipping HIM first and presenting their offerings to God in public so that others will desire to enter into worship with them "leading the way"...As a worship leader of many years...I have found that my singing, movements, expressions are NOT what I should focus on...as a professional singer/musician, I have learned that the talent and gift in me is under control and has been discipline to fully yeild to the power of the Holy Spirit in me...with that, I can totally focus on presenting my offerings of praise to Our Lord. I did not set out to be a worship leader; it was not something that I desired. I did not want to "be seen of men" as offering my praises to God; this has been the "sacrifice of praise" for me. I was a vocalist; soloist, choir member and even small ensemble vocalist...the Lord moved me into praise and worship because He seeks those to worship Him.

John 4:23
But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.

Mark; I can talk on worshipping God all day; I guess my name worshipper is really
fitting. Thanks for starting this thread; I hope it gets many to think about the :pray: worship that God deserves and that we are being sought by Him to offer to Him. :p

:groupray:

This great love should stir passions flame in each heart. Worshipping God is both deep communion and intimate expression of love.

Bo, I know that I was stirred in my spirit when I first saw a true worshipper of God; though he is a psalmist and wonderful singer, he is first and foremostly a servant of God who worships Him openly...leading others to desire the intimacy with their Heavenly Father...

I remember sitting in front of his piano as he sang "You are beautiful my Lord"...I turned my eyes away and ever so humbly said " Oh, Lord, I shouldn't look upon him, he is LOVING You!" (knowing that a person displays everything to God in worship)...The Lord replied "how are they to know what worship is unless they see it"...I said "GULP" and somehow I KNEW in my spirit that He was calling me to do the same thing!

He is gracious to have taught me the worship that He desires:whole hearted, single-minded honest and humble admiration with thanksgiving to Him...

For anyone who thinks that it would "be fun" to lead worship; THINK AGAIN...it takes everything you have and then a whole other world of what you don't have yet...You must DIE to your flesh and be willing to be a living sacrifice (Romans 12) everyday of your life!!! THEN to give up your right to yourself and open your life for the world to see...

There is no other life for me, I am a confessed worshipper of the Living God. I am hooked!!!:D I love this topic...HALLELUJAH!!!! For more, see my blog titled: Confessions of a worshipper ;)

It is an awesome topic, I like hearing from you about it Worshipper.

I've been wondering what my skills are and what purpose I serve for God, and I only have a sincere passion for Him, and things of the spirit, not of this world.

Do you ever find you can't possibly sing properly cause the emotions get too much? Does it ever become impossible to sing in english any longer, and you have to praise in tounges?

Spiritual gifts and service in the Kingdom of God

It is an awesome topic, I like hearing from you about it Worshipper.
I've been wondering what my skills are and what purpose I serve for God, and I only have a sincere passion for Him, and things of the spirit, not of this world.

I will be praying the the Lord will reveal His desire for your life; He knows your heart and loves your passion for Him...your desire for the things of the spirit rather than the things of this world shows a consecration/ holiness/being set apart for His purpose. Whatever your talents are; your "hobbies" and your favorite things to do...think on them and "give them" to the Lord...they might all give you a clue as to what the Lord has given you to use for Him. Let me warn you...you may not be lead to do something that you "want to do" or think that you "do well"...God has a sense of justice and humor. Just trust Him; do the humble things, nothing is unimportant or small in the Kingdom of God; serve Him with all your heart.

I have always been a singer but I had to delve to deep levels of self-sacrifice to lead worship. Before the Lord "moved me in praise and worship", he put songwriting on my heart (GOTCHA!!! is what I hear now when I think of it), I then began to pray for someone to help me with my music; ended up at our place of worship; fit right in and was asked to join the praise team without having been heard!!! THAT is faith! It has taken years of allowing and following the Holy Spirit to teach me what man can not teach us; HOW to serve God. We must serve Him by trial and error at times, with a heart that wants to serve excellently and humbly; and when we error; in music or ministry; He lets us know gently and corrects us. It is an awesome life to serve God and be led by His spirit, as I know that you are my brother...

Do you ever find you can't possibly sing properly cause the emotions get too much? Does it ever become impossible to sing in english any longer, and you have to praise in tounges?

Just this past Shabbat; we sang "Kadosh"..."Holy, Holy Holy is the Lord God Almighty who was and is and is to come". I was on my knees and after a little while I was getting up and I see my friend on her knees as well.

I have had experiences when I heard the the Lord speak to me "be silent before me", fortunatly this doesn't happen often when I am required to sing but if it does; I speak out an admonition to the congregation; with a scripture of "being still" or silent before God as He wants to speak with a "still small voice" and sometimes we just can't hear well when we are singing. I figure if He is leading me to be silent that His spirit is ministring to others in the same way and I am to be obedient to "listen" and lead as He wishes. Many times; in the past, when I was "not up front", I felt more of a release to "sit still" and I would even sit and allow the Lord to minister to me by His Spirit.

Our keyboardist has stopped playing and gotten on his face before, quite a while ago...it was the only instrument at the time...we ended up with some a cappella praise and then prayer and then he got back to the keyboard...let me remind you that THIS does NOT help with the music part of the worship.;) The Lord was dealing with him and it was "fine".

At times like that, I may feel led to "sing in the spirit" (with actual words; that sometimes make sense and rhyme even;) )which comes so easily to me as a songwriter. The Lord is giving me a "new song" to share with the congregation...

As far as singing in tongues...yes, I try to hold back a bit when I am leading but when someone else can take the lead, I can get lost in worship and sing in tongues, softly, as not to misdirect anyone else sometimes. I told you that I can talk ALL day about worship...to love and honor and admire my Lord is the most awesome, most priviliged position I could ever dream to have; whether in praying for others (in prophetic altar ministry), serving some juice or food at our time of fellowship, ministering to our elderly, widows or children, in intercessory prayer meeting or sisterhood fellowship...everything that we do BECOMES worship as we present ourself as a "living sacrifice" to Him.

:pray: Your awareness, desire and passion tells me that the Lord may be wanting to reveal things to you to use for Him. I will be praying...look at the spiritual gifts that He has given you. Sending you love and a holy hug today....

I Cor 12:4-14
4Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.
6And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.
7But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.
8For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
9To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;
10To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
11But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14For the body is not one member, but many.

1 Corinthians 14:12
Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

Romans 12:6-8

6Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether prophecy, let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;
7Or ministry, let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on teaching; 8Or he that exhorteth, on exhortation: he that giveth, let him do it with simplicity; he that ruleth, with diligence; he that sheweth mercy, with cheerfulness.

Back