Would using Bible study tools show a lack of faith?

I want to use The Word Bible software but I feel like I would be lacking faith to do so. This is because I would not be trusting God to guide me into all truth. But I used some intellect and realized that I can never truly understand God's Word completely without having the Greek and Hebrew Scriptures at hand.

I downloaded the software and tried it out some. The problem that I have is that the software does all the work for me, and I don't think that God would want that. However, I do think that I would benefit from having the Greek and Hebrew at hand. What should I do?

I have a question for you.....if God asked you to build a house....how would you build it if you didn't have the tools? Bible software is good to a point. It helps get you to where you want to be, finds things faster and helps you with definitions of the original Bible prior to it being translated into english. One just has to be careful that it is only what you rely on instead of the Holy Spirit.

God has given gifts to believers. The body of Christ has many members, and each member has gifts to carry out functions.
1 Corinthians 12:
4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues.

So you see, the people behind Bible study tools were given this ability to provide teaching opportunities for other people. You could look at there role as interpretation of tongues. You may have the word of wisdom but not the word of knowledge. Each has their spiritual gifts and we should take advantage of them so they do not become unused.

Reactions: Juk
I want to use The Word Bible software but I feel like I would be lacking faith to do so. This is because I would not be trusting God to guide me into all truth. But I used some intellect and realized that I can never truly understand God's Word completely without having the Greek and Hebrew Scriptures at hand.

I downloaded the software and tried it out some. The problem that I have is that the software does all the work for me, and I don't think that God would want that. However, I do think that I would benefit from having the Greek and Hebrew at hand. What should I do?

Juk here is my easy answer to this using His written word. ;)
2 Timothy 2:15 ..Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Romans 10:17..So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Juk you figure it out ....It's a no brainer my friend.
Enjoy and God Bless
Jim

Once there was this guy.........

He believed in the idea that God directs our eyes (and He does, of course, at times) to what He wants us to know from His Word, and that he could flip open his Bible indiscriminately at random, and plop his finger down, and whatever Scripture was under his finger, THAT was Gods message to him that day.

So, as was his belief, he did so, and the Scripture under his finger said, "...and Judas went out and hanged himself."

SLAM!! He closed his Bible, stunned at what he had read!

"Can't be," he thought, "must've been some sort of fluke; let me try again."

So he flipped open his Bible a second time, and plopped his finger down wherever it landed, and the passage read, ".....go thou and do likewise."

The question is not, "is it a lack of faith" to use Bible software?"
The question is, Will we study Gods Word with a software that is credible, reliable, and well supported by the Bible itself.

Context is one of the most important aspects to Bible study. Any good "software" will help you search the Scriptures to see how it proves itself out, throughout.

You are going to get a number of recommendations about what "software" is best. I like E-Sword, mostly because it is free, but also because I have found it to be packed full of cross-referencing and useful tools.

As to the Spiritual side of using "software," .......God uses Doctors (does He not?) to heal our bodies when we need them. Should we be so stuck on the idea that God can heal, that we wouldn't make use of a trained Physician for our ills? I would suggest to you that "software" that has been written, and can be used to help us, is worth using. God is not offended by our creativity........He GAVE us (mankind) our "creativity," to use in productive and God-honoring ways.

-Soupy

Juk here is my easy answer to this using His written word. ;)
2 Timothy 2:15 ..Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Romans 10:17..So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Juk you figure it out ....It's a no brainer my friend.
Enjoy and God Bless
Jim
Thanks, the phrase "rightly dividing the word of truth" tells it all.

Back