You have freedom in the Spirit. Take advantage of it

I was praying and chatting with God about many things the other day. Then as I entered into my quiet time I heard him answer and say, "YOU HAVE FREEDOM IN THE SPIRIT. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT".

I know how to do this during prayer, worship, alone time. How do you do this when you are eating dinner out with family or friends, at work, on a business trip, with your family or kids, etc.? How do you take advantage of the Spirit in your every day routine?

Comments welcome.

I was praying and chatting with God about many things the other day. Then as I entered into my quiet time I heard him answer and say, "YOU HAVE FREEDOM IN THE SPIRIT. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT".

I know how to do this during prayer, worship, alone time. How do you do this when you are eating dinner out with family or friends, at work, on a business trip, with your family or kids, etc.? How do you take advantage of the Spirit in your every day routine?

Comments welcome.

As your already built up from your normal quiet time with Him.. you continue to ask for words to say, to be led in every decision (even the small ones) and every conversation.. in what you eat (if one needs to take it that far) and you ask Him to help you to walk in the spirit in every area of your life. Meaning allowing Him to show you and mold you to His ways ... in thoughts, actions, attitudes and behavior. And it's listening to Him when He corrects something, or shows you that this heart attitude needs to be corrected in the way you respond in your heart towards someone.

Comments welcome.
thank you for this inspiring thread

for myself i keep talking silently to God (praying) and ask Him what i should do or say

He does lead me to do or say things and it is so exciting to see how people respond

this is in contrast to how i used to give my opinion without praying and asking God what to say - boy did that ever NOT work out so good

i learned my opinion is perhaps good and fitting for my life - but only God knows what is good and fitting for someone else's life

and do i ever learn things from God when He gives me words to say and things to do for other people - it helps me learn how unique and special each one of us are

the diversity i see among all the wonderful individuals God created keeps me learning and growing in my own life

God bless you dear friend

Well often its being silent when God wants you to be silent and speaking when He wants you to speak. So when out with family I suppose eating dinner with unbelieving family God often has me silent I just eat, ask no questions and speak when I'm spoken to. But with friends it might be different, especially believers and we usually say grace i.e honor God before we eat and give thanks. And the conversation will often be about God and what He's doing in our lives.

At work well, I endeavour to be diligent at whatever task is set before me and honor God in what I do. Praying before I set off to work helps and thinking of Him when going about your work, sometimes a worship song might be in my head and I will be humming along and it's God speaking to me and carrying me along while I am working.

When I'm writing well even when I'm writing this and responding to these posts He will bring to mind scripture He wants me to share and encourage other believers, or maybe He wants to show me what others are learning and to encourage and inspire me!

I am thankful there are forums like these where I can connect with other believers and part of my routine is, instead of say going on facebook, or social media where its usually people giving opinions is to spend time online with believers. So even if you in the world (this is the world wide web) you are not of it.

With children I've found its not treating them as kids but as precious lambs which is important although many parents won't agree they would rather children be seen and not heard. Children place a lot of value on how much you spend time with them and listen and enjoy their company. As a child who was somewhat neglected and lonely and never encouraged I think its important that we as adults show them Father's love, and teach them well, and certainly Jesus wouldn't send a child away, because the Kingdom of heaven belongs to them.

I look at things like this. God is my Father. Jesus is my friend. And the Holy Spirit is my helper. I pray every day that the Holy Spirit be with me and help me, to say and do the right thing, to the right people, at the right time, in the right way.

I am frequently amazed by the words that come out of my own mouth, and the solutions that I find to various 'situations' that arise. It feels as though someone else is talking and helping me to find the right solution. Not taking me over, but showing me the way.

I also am quick to thank God for these things.

I think that as long as you ask the Holy Spirit to be your helper, you will get assistance in your daily life.

Comments welcome.

You are looking for advantage in material things while the Bible teaches something completely different.

Spiritual liberty does not equate to financial advantage, methods of tipping a waiter, conducting business transactions, or personal profit. Spiritual liberty can be quite the opposite. Don't try to justify an expensive trip to the mall by quoting scripture. You will only make the devil laugh and grieve the spirit of God.

Liberty is a four letter word in 21st century America. Most people don't use it and don't understand the meaning of the word. Therefore they can't apply it to their daily lives. Some people, including political leadership of the Democratic and Republican parties, believe Americans have had enough liberty and that it should be removed from our lives entirely. (1) As of this writing their efforts are succeeding. Why? Because most Americans have no idea what liberty really means. To them freedom means the ability to conspicuously consume.(2) Biblical forms of liberty are even less understood and opposite to that which is understood to be politically correct.

Biblical liberty is freedom to do that which God intends for us. This "doing" is often contrary to what we personally want or perceive as advantageous to us.

The Bible says we are all of us slaves either to sin or to righteousness. Sin results in destruction while righteousness results in eternal life. Neither is a guarantee of financial success.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
(1)
"The role of government is to rein in the rights of the people." - Bill Clinton

'There ought to be limits to freedom.'
--Presidential candidate George W. Bush in a press conference at the Texas State House, May 21, 1999

(2) This is a bedrock principle of the modern American fascist state.

Last edited:
Maybe you misunderstood my post or perhaps I did not articulate it very well, but I can honestly say I am not looking for material things in any way. I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. I now understand my question.

Galatians 5:1
2 corinthians 3:17

We are free to worship Him. We aren't in bondage to satan anymore. So we can happily serve Him in our daily lives.

Not sure about the american view of liberty, I wouldnt get that mixed up with what God tells us.
I know there is a statue of liberty in NYC, but that represents something else and is more about political freedom to do whatever you want, set up your own govt etc. The french gave it to america after their revolution for the ideals of liberty, equality and fraternity. But the french had a reign of terror which became the opposite of what they were seeking.

If we follow God, the government is actually upon His shoulders. So whatever He tells us or commands us to do, we obey, because we love and serve Him and He always works things out for His good purpose. Because we know Jesus was raised we know Father would not harm us.

Maybe you misunderstood my post or perhaps I did not articulate it very well, but I can honestly say I am not looking for material things in any way. I am not sure how you came to that conclusion. I now understand my question.

How did I come to the conclusion you were looking for material things?

Maybe it had something to do with the words you wrote. For reference I quote them below;

when you are eating dinner out with family or friends, at work, on a business trip - Post #1

My point, which has apparently done a fly over, is that there's a difference between spiritual liberty and the kind of free thinking you want when "eating dinner out with family or friend, at work or on a business trip". Are we remembering what we wrote yet?

If you aren't looking for material things in any way, then why did you make a short list of them?

To Lanolin's post #8

I like your first thought - that we are free to worship God, not being in bondage to the opposer (devil). Unfortunately most do not know how to get to this most favored place of advantage. That's what the gospel is all about. Thank you for writing this comment.

You mentioned the Statue of Liberty, a gift from France in the late 19th century. The object has political connotations based upon Roman paganism. It has nothing to do with either the Judeo-Christian heritage nor the political realities of the 21st century. It's a New York City tourist trap, a memento of a lost dream and a dead civilization. It's the same sort of thing one sees in the city of Rome, Italy except that the Italians let their monuments go to ruin. Americans like to keep their monuments in relatively good condition. I'm glad you mentioned it. Thank you.

Political freedom in America came to an abrupt end on October 26, 2001 when the US congress voted to de-ratify the guarantees of personal political freedom expressed in the first 10 amendments to the constitution. Commonly called the Bill of Rights, these restrictions upon Federal government encroachment upon the private lives of its citizens no longer exist in legal precedent. Liberty in America has suffered the effects of many legal enemas since 2001. We are not the nation we once were.

You are mistaking the government of the Most High with the political government in Washington, DC. It has been said that if someone wants to go crazy they should move to Washington where it will not be noticed.

The ordinances of heaven are not the same as American legal precedent. Neither is the Law of God respected by American leadership. It has also been said that democracy typically lasts only about two hundred years. Corruption inevitably encroaches upon the legal mechanism and the system erodes into repressive totalitarianism and fascism.(*) This is exactly what we are seeing in America today.

The US government, like all other governments throughout history, is answerable to the Law and Will of the Most High God - the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and of whom Jesus was born. If worldly governments become wayward and sin against God they are subject to judgment. Not for nothing is Jesus called Lord of Lords and King of Kings. The government of the United States is a criminal organization, not sanctioned by God. It has violated the laws of heaven and the people who originally built it. Make no mistake, America is already under judgment. We are getting what we want and what we deserve.

The Liberty spoken of by the Bible is personal and spiritually based.

One can be free in the midst of political repression if one first makes peace with God. Traditionally referred to as 'come to Jesus', this peace is obtained by humble and repentant petition unto God for forgiveness and mercy.

God does not answer the prayers of unrepentant sinners.

One must first come in humility and ask for the gift of repentance. The peace of God cannot be understood by the world because it is spiritually based, not based upon the vagaries of current political winds. The liberty of God cannot be robbed by a repressive government. It can only be lost by those who hold material things to be of greater value.

A person is enslaved by that which they embrace - either sin unto death or righteousness unto life.

(*) Fascism may more accurately be called corporatism because under that system the government is more responsive to the dictates of corporate influences than that of the voting public. For instance, will a candidate for high office be more grateful to a corporation that donates ten million dollars to an election campaign or will the candidate be more grateful to the voters who give nothing? In practice it's the corporate dollar that speaks more loudly in the halls of government.

In 2008, during the American banking failure, banking leaders went to Washington to obtain money to support their failing banks. Overnight they got every dime of the billions they requested. After more than a half century of political debate, the American people are still waiting for an equitable health care system to be implemented. Only those with power and influence get what they want. The rest must wait to be tossed a bone.

Last edited:
How did I come to the conclusion you were looking for material things?

Maybe it had something to do with the words you wrote. For reference I quote them below;

when you are eating dinner out with family or friends, at work, on a business trip - Post #1

My point, which has apparently done a fly over, is that there's a difference between spiritual liberty and the kind of free thinking you want when "eating dinner out with family or friend, at work or on a business trip". Are we remembering what we wrote yet?

If you aren't looking for material things in any way, then why did you make a short list of them?

To Lanolin's post #8

I like your first thought - that we are free to worship God, not being in bondage to the opposer (devil). Unfortunately most do not know how to get to this most favored place of advantage. That's what the gospel is all about. Thank you for writing this comment.

You mentioned the Statue of Liberty, a gift from France in the late 19th century. The object has political connotations based upon Roman paganism. It has nothing to do with either the Judeo-Christian heritage nor the political realities of the 21st century. It's a New York City tourist trap, a memento of a lost dream and a dead civilization. It's the same sort of thing one sees in the city of Rome, Italy except that the Italians let their monuments go to ruin. Americans like to keep their monuments in relatively good condition. I'm glad you mentioned it. Thank you.

Political freedom in America came to an abrupt end on October 26, 2001 when the US congress voted to de-ratify the guarantees of personal political freedom expressed in the first 10 amendments to the constitution. Commonly called the Bill of Rights, these restrictions upon Federal government encroachment upon the private lives of its citizens no longer exist in legal precedent. Liberty in America has suffered the effects of many legal enemas since 2001. We are not the nation we once were.

You are mistaking the government of the Most High with the political government in Washington, DC. It has been said that if someone wants to go crazy they should move to Washington where it will not be noticed.

The ordinances of heaven are not the same as American legal precedent. Neither is the Law of God respected by American leadership. It has also been said that democracy typically lasts only about two hundred years. Corruption inevitably encroaches upon the legal mechanism and the system erodes into repressive totalitarianism and fascism.(*) This is exactly what we are seeing in America today.

The US government, like all other governments throughout history, is answerable to the Law and Will of the Most High God - the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and of whom Jesus was born. If worldly governments become wayward and sin against God they are subject to judgment. Not for nothing is Jesus called Lord of Lords and King of Kings. The government of the United States is a criminal organization, not sanctioned by God. It has violated the laws of heaven and the people who originally built it. Make no mistake, America is already under judgment. We are getting what we want and what we deserve.

The Liberty spoken of by the Bible is personal and spiritually based.

One can be free in the midst of political repression if one first makes peace with God. Traditionally referred to as 'come to Jesus', this peace is obtained by humble and repentant petition unto God for forgiveness and mercy.

God does not answer the prayers of unrepentant sinners.

One must first come in humility and ask for the gift of repentance. The peace of God cannot be understood by the world because it is spiritually based, not based upon the vagaries of current political winds. The liberty of God cannot be robbed by a repressive government. It can only be lost by those who hold material things to be of greater value.

A person is enslaved by that which they embrace - either sin unto death or righteousness unto life.

(*) Fascism may more accurately be called corporatism because under that system the government is more responsive to the dictates of corporate influences than that of the voting public. For instance, will a candidate for high office be more grateful to a corporation that donates ten million dollars to an election campaign or will the candidate be more grateful to the voters who give nothing? In practice it's the corporate dollar that speaks more loudly in the halls of government.

In 2008, during the American banking failure, banking leaders went to Washington to obtain money to support their failing banks. Overnight they got every dime of the billions they requested. After more than a half century of political debate, the American people are still waiting for an equitable health care system to be implemented. Only those with power and influence get what they want. The rest must wait to be tossed a bone.

You completely misunderstood my meaning of those words and the note I posted. That's okay. Have a great week.

Um, I said dont get the govt of america mixed up with the govt of the King of Kings Lord of Lords.
I dont live in america so am not under any oath or whatever they have. But I just mentioned the difference between that kind of liberty and the liberty we believers have in Christ. You are from america so I just gave it as an example because you seem to use the word 'liberty' a lot. Which is rather ironic given that america has had a history of enslaving their own people.
I dont equate america with christianity, when I mean 'we' I mean believers from any nation. Please dont misunderstand this.

Jesus came to set the captives free.
His ancestors, the israelites, valued their freedom from slavery/bondage when God set them free from Egypt by parting the red sea. Imagine how they felt when they got to the other side of the red sea, they were free! And God fed them manna from heaven. Well for us believers, Jesus parted the red sea for us when the enemy was after us so we could cross safely into our promised land. And He fed us Himself with his own body and blood, He does say I am the bread from heaven.

So what does that mean well the enemy has no power over you. Ok when the isrelites crossed the jordan into the promised land they still had to claim it though but the canaanites living there had no power over the isralites like the egyptians did, even though to them they looked like giants. They had to leave because God had promised that land to the israelites. The Israelites didnt even have to fight them if they actually fully trusted in God to remove them. He was going to do that with hornets.

Um, I said dont get the govt of america mixed up with the govt of the King of Kings Lord of Lords.
I dont live in america so am not under any oath or whatever they have. But I just mentioned the difference between that kind of liberty and the liberty we believers have in Christ. You are from america so I just gave it as an example because you seem to use the word 'liberty' a lot. Which is rather ironic given that america has had a history of enslaving their own people.
I dont equate america with christianity, when I mean 'we' I mean believers from any nation. Please dont misunderstand this.

Jesus came to set the captives free.
His ancestors, the israelites, valued their freedom from slavery/bondage when God set them free from Egypt by parting the red sea. Imagine how they felt when they got to the other side of the red sea, they were free! And God fed them manna from heaven. Well for us believers, Jesus parted the red sea for us when the enemy was after us so we could cross safely into our promised land. And He fed us Himself with his own body and blood, He does say I am the bread from heaven.

So what does that mean well the enemy has no power over you. Ok when the isrelites crossed the jordan into the promised land they still had to claim it though but the canaanites living there had no power over the isralites like the egyptians did, even though to them they looked like giants. They had to leave because God had promised that land to the israelites. The Israelites didnt even have to fight them if they actually fully trusted in God to remove them. He was going to do that with hornets.

Good post, especially your remark about American policy of enslaving others. We have also enjoyed the policy of genocide against Native Americans.

Americans do like to claim the criminals in Washington have some sort of divine right to murder and steal and destroy. It has nothing to do with the Kingdom of God, but we've fogged the difference so long we no longer know the difference. In our churches the American flag is generally posted in a place of greater prominence and which demands greater allegiance than Christ. Our allegiance is to country first - God is last place in line if He's there at all.

"The only good Indian is a dead Indian." - US Army general Phillip Sheridan

Adolph Hitler was impressed by the American version of genocide. Americans tend to forget about that - everybody except the Americans who were here first.

I agree with you that America ought not be associated with Christianity. We are so busy burying it today that most of us would prefer to forget that it was every celebrated on our shores. I use the word liberty a lot because Americans generally have no idea what it means Biblically or politically.

Thanks for your post. I enjoyed it.

that's me, hollering from the choir loft...

Hi choirloft, are you a baritone or tenor. I am an alto, I can't sing as high as a soprano. When I try, it strains my voice lol.

I find the usa a diverse and interesting country, but when people say american, they often mean just the usa and not say, canadians, or south americans, who are technically americans too. It can be very confusing because when some people mean Indian they dont mean people who come from India. They mean native americans who had actually never been to India. Its only due to christophers columbus mistake he thought he had ended up in India when he reached american shores. People talk about african americans, but I notice people never talk about european americans.

Jesus would have found this kind of odd. Since we believers are adopted into His family, his history becomes our history.
Instead of thinking well New York or Rome or London is the centre of everything, we ought to be looking toward Jerusalem, the new one. The holy city, as named in revelation.

People tend to be caught up in the babylons of this world. But they arent seeing or seeking the kingdom of God and his righteousness which is not of this world.

One thing that I find very helpful as a spiritual discipline is everyday quiet time. Where or when you establish this meeting with God is at your discretion but the imprtant thing is to do this everyday. Just connect with Him. Some people read the newspaper or watch tv everyday. They want to catch up on the news. But how important is it to catch up with God everyday, and hear the Good News everyday? I would say so much more!!

Comments welcome.

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

In the 2 paragraphs of your thread I picked up on 5 areas of your relationship with Christ.

1. You were praying. I have to believe the church you are serving is a praying church. I praise God for the love you always share about the church you are serving. Remember last year when you were praying whether the new church you were attending was the one God was sending you? A loving church is obedient to Jesus' command for prayer.

2. Chatting with God. Isn't that freedom in the Spirit? In John 15:15, we are slaves to Christ who is our Master. Slaves do not open up freely to their masters. But Jesus points out that we are friends and everything He learns from our Father He shares with us. That's freedom in the Spirit, thus everything we share with our God.

3. Your quiet time, behind closed doors just you and God. Man! Think about it. The Almighty God loves you and is with you in your quiet time. YIKES!

4. When God answers. You don't have to be a masterful theologian to say the right words in your petition. God promises to answer all who believe in Him, in the name of Jesus.

5. How about this? Of all the places you go to when you are dining out with family or friends, at your work, on a business trip, all of these are blessings from God, amen? He doesn't limit the freedom of the Spirit wherever you are, because the Freedom of the Spirit is so you can share with others in your witness in the community.

In your walk with Jesus, you have the freedom in the Spirit and no doubt take full advantage of it. It gives me much to think about in my personal relationship with the Lord.

And finally, does TEXAS still serve "Texas Burgers?" What I remember in Lubbock, Harlingen and San Antonio, they are LARGE HAMBURGERS. The last time I ordered one, some guy named Wimpy asked if he could have mine and would pay me next Tuesday. lol! (joking)

God bless you, CoffeeDrinker, and thank you for sharing.

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

In the 2 paragraphs of your thread I picked up on 5 areas of your relationship with Christ.

1. You were praying. I have to believe the church you are serving is a praying church. I praise God for the love you always share about the church you are serving. Remember last year when you were praying whether the new church you were attending was the one God was sending you? A loving church is obedient to Jesus' command for prayer.

2. Chatting with God. Isn't that freedom in the Spirit? In John 15:15, we are slaves to Christ who is our Master. Slaves do not open up freely to their masters. But Jesus points out that we are friends and everything He learns from our Father He shares with us. That's freedom in the Spirit, thus everything we share with our God.

3. Your quiet time, behind closed doors just you and God. Man! Think about it. The Almighty God loves you and is with you in your quiet time. YIKES!

4. When God answers. You don't have to be a masterful theologian to say the right words in your petition. God promises to answer all who believe in Him, in the name of Jesus.

5. How about this? Of all the places you go to when you are dining out with family or friends, at your work, on a business trip, all of these are blessings from God, amen? He doesn't limit the freedom of the Spirit wherever you are, because the Freedom of the Spirit is so you can share with others in your witness in the community.

In your walk with Jesus, you have the freedom in the Spirit and no doubt take full advantage of it. It gives me much to think about in my personal relationship with the Lord.

And finally, does TEXAS still serve "Texas Burgers?" What I remember in Lubbock, Harlingen and San Antonio, they are LARGE HAMBURGERS. The last time I ordered one, some guy named Wimpy asked if he could have mine and would pay me next Tuesday. lol! (joking)

God bless you, CoffeeDrinker, and thank you for sharing.

OMG, I remember all the chatter about me being irritated with the church I was visiting because of the blue low lights.. lol
Do you remember that? That is just funny. I actually loved that pastor, but I just could not get past those blue lights. Those blue lights made me absolutely nuts every Sunday.

One day I heard the Lord tell me I should try the other church, the church the pastor came from. So I went out on a limb and visited the church that pastor came from and when I walked in I knew I was home. It was almost immediate. The pastor from the church with the blues was the youth pastor at my church and was taught and mentored under my pastor.

I love my church. I have been there almost 9 months and I am not tooting my own horn here. I am totally praising God for what he has done in me. That church is awesome. You know the holy trinity is in that church. You can feel them all 3 around you. It's healing and amazing. God has blessed me and transformed me and change me and has been raising me through this church. I have started going to the ladies bible classes Monday nights. I offered my professional services to the church on my Friday's when I am not working. To my surprise the church actually called me to work for them on my Friday off. It was incredible and humbling. Now I am on their 911 list. They call when they need help. They emailed and asked if I could be a door greeter for the 8:15 service 2 Sunday's ago. Every single person I know busted out laughing because I am not a morning person and I am not called to being a greeter. My coworkers were laughing so hard....... I showed up and greeted and I tell you I loved it. It was not me, but I loved it. I ran into a Theologian who is a member of my church who taught a class I took on Revelations a few years earlier at another church. He was a door greeter too. I told him I loved his class and have never been about to find another one like it. He said he is currently teaching one at my church Sunday mornings at 9:45 am. He asked me to start coming. I told him I would try to make it. I want to make it a priority. Also, I am now going with my pastor to Israel. I am so excited. God has blessed me through this church so much. My niece now goes with me and is making friends and serving in the church, too. My sister is going with us, too.

I am growing in Christ and spending more and more time with the Lord. I have finally found peace and a place to call home.. I have never been more relaxed and at peace. I am happy all the time. It's all God. He has been so good to me. I am so humbled by all that He has been doing in my life. I know there is so much more to come. So be prepared to hear a lot more reports about all that He is doing in my life.

I love my quiet time / chatting time with God and I finally understand the answer to my question. I now understand how to walk in the spirit regardless of where I am. I am so blessed and humbled. I was walking in my backyard last night by myself and thanking God and just praying and thanking Him. I was so humbled last night by Gods goodness toward me when I have never deserved such wonderful glorious love and grace surrounding me.

I want to make sure I always put Him first and bring glory to His name.

As far as the burgers - A Texas Burger is a large burger. I try not to eat a lot of burgers because the heavy bread hurts my stomach, but I had one for lunch today... fries, too. lol But it was a baby little burger. I woofed it down. Love me a good burger with some salty fries fried in duck fat and sprinkled with crackling.. those are fries you will never forget.

We have Texas chicken up the road its a newish fast food chain. Its kind of like KFC but more crunchy.

I think its good to fellowship with other believers over food, and sometimes we go to restaurants and shout each other meals its a blessing to be able to do this (especially if our own cookings not so great) so if someone seems a bit lonely at church you could just invite them for a connisseur coffee and pay for them. Oh and pray for them too!

Back