Your Community Where You Serve

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dear brothers and sisters;

I felt led to start this thread and ask if we can share our community where we live and how we are serving God. If you don't wish to name the town or city, thats ok.

If you wish to share how you serve the Lord where you reside will enable us to know how to pray for you, your family and your ministry (how you serve God.)

My wife and I reside in Daly City, California, on the border of San Francisco. Our population in Daly City is 110,000 and the commumity is very diverse (from all nations.)

Overall, the population in the San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland Bay Area is 7 million people. Because the liberal lifestyle is overall very diverse, the ministry can be very challenging but God has revealed where we live that He is greater than any lifestyle or belief system, and to His Glory more and more of the unreached are getting saved daily. Praise His Wonderful Name!

Because of the challenge, many Christians in our community tend to hang out only with Christians, understandably, but more Christians are reaching out to the diversity of other religions, cults, races and political differences. This is why waiting for the prompting of the Holy Spirit is so important because He who empowers us, is God's timing for every brother or sister that will cross our path. This is the Lord's assignment to us.

In Acts 1:8, 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Jesus instructs us, again, to be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. He also tells us there will be mixed races, geographically and cross culturally, "people of all nations." In this passage Samaria was a mixed race.

I go out weekly to the bank, barber shop, supermarket, post office, and auto mechanic, where ever God sends me daily, and will ask for a minute or two to just pray for them. Most of the time the owners or managers are open and I have developed a first name relationship with most of them. Other times they are really busy so I will pray silently over them. Either way I respect their time.

I want to open this topic up and look forward to hearing your testimony.

God bless you all, your families and community.

I felt led to start this thread and ask if we can share our community where we live and how we are serving God. If you don't wish to name the town or city, thats ok.

If you wish to share how you serve the Lord where you reside will enable us to know how to pray for you, your family and your ministry (how you serve God.)

My wife and I reside in Daly City, California, on the border of San Francisco. Our population in Daly City is 110,000 and the commumity is very diverse (from all nations.)

Overall, the population in the San Francisco, San Jose, Oakland Bay Area is 7 million people. Because the liberal lifestyle is overall very diverse, the ministry can be very challenging but God has revealed where we live that He is greater than any lifestyle or belief system, and to His Glory more and more of the unreached are getting saved daily. Praise His Wonderful Name!

Because of the challenge, many Christians in our community tend to hang out only with Christians, understandably, but more Christians are reaching out to the diversity of other religions, cults, races and political differences. This is why waiting for the prompting of the Holy Spirit is so important because He who empowers us, is God's timing for every brother or sister that will cross our path. This is the Lord's assignment to us.

In Acts 1:8, 8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

Jesus instructs us, again, to be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. He also tells us there will be mixed races, geographically and cross culturally, "people of all nations." In this passage Samaria was a mixed race.

I go out weekly to the bank, barber shop, supermarket, post office, and auto mechanic, where ever God sends me daily, and will ask for a minute or two to just pray for them. Most of the time the owners or managers are open and I have developed a first name relationship with most of them. Other times they are really busy so I will pray silently over them. Either way I respect their time.

Most of my working life has been in the Washington DC area, living in the Virginia suburbs and working in DC. Prior to retirememt I kind of let my job impinge on my time and my thoughts more that was good for me or my spiritual life. I was active in church and tried to be a blessing to my congragation, but I have come to understand that my priorities needed improvement.

Since I started my retirement I have made effort to involve myself in service to my community. I sorted food at the local food bank, volunteered at the hospital and became involved in a support group for people that have ostomies or related problems.

I have recently moved to Western Maryland (Garrett County). My wife and I have been attending differe t churches. There are a few that I would be interested in making my church home, we will see.

As far as service, I have applied to volunteer in several local efforts, and one aspect of my eventual choice of church will be oportunities to serve in one of their ministries.

I live in the most populated city, Auckland, in New Zealand Its nearing 2 million people. There are many many churches, so many that it can be hard to choose and overhwhelming for any new believer. But there are also many other religious beliefs in my cosmopolitan city, and many who dont believe. Because auckland started as a port and merchant city, its the most commericalised place of anywhere. Its made up of subrubs surrounding the city centre and just spread out and grown as people come to settle and find jobs here..many many immigrants, and now children of immigrants.

Often Families will buy a house mostly where its cheaper land and even if its ages away from where they work, everyones willing to fight traffic to get to work, just so they can live in the suburbs and have their own house. But now housing is getting super expensive. So theres starting to be lots of homeless.

Anyway what God has me do is work locally within my own suburb rather than go commute to town as I make deeper connections with locals than people who live far away. Just the logistics of getting from a to b can be an obstacle in auckland! And the place where God is most needed is in schools. Thats where it all starts because many parents are just too busy working to teach their children, earning money to keep a roof over their heads. Thats why we have Bibles in schools ministries.

If you can pray for this bibles in schools ministry it will be great, more helpers in school are needed. Children do feel neglected and abandoned when parents leave them to go off to work. Theres so many daycares and after school cares and things, and dysfunctional families can make things worse. Grandparents are often segregated into retirement communities. Nobody enjoys the rat race, but it seems everyone is compelled to belong to it. I mean to use public transport is sometimes a nightmare as it never seems to be on time, and to even park your car for a day somewhere in the city can be up to $40 a day!

Homebased and local business are the way to go I think, to alleviate the traffic nightmare. Big business and global corporates often ruin and pollute the land, every rubbish day tonnes go to landfill. Why I got into radio...its how you can reach out to people sitting in traffic. Lol. Or on their smartphones.

Auckland is such a beautiful city but the traffic, nobody enjoys. Id rather everyone gave up their rat race job, worked in their own garden or the school garden or looked after the parks. Even look after those neglected church grounds. We dont need to be importing or exporting so much junk. We have the resources to grow our own communities. But many peoplechase after money. Its hard to change that mindset because people are conditioned to believe thats why you work, to make money.

Great Topic Bob.
I am in Houston, TX. I am really on the outside in the suburbs, but I work in Houston.

I love being in church. I love sitting close to the pastor as he preaches. I do not like distractions as I get distracted easily so sitting up front is good for me. I like to hear clearly what he is preaching and I want to just take it all in.

I started attending church on Wed nights, which is praise and worship and prayer service only. Each Wed we have a different theme for prayer. Example: One Wed we may be praying over the children in our homes and families, church, students in schools and community, etc. The next Wed we may be praying for healing for those ill, the next Wed may be for marriages, etc. My pastor truly believes in the power of prayer as do I. I attend this service and pray and intercede for my family / friends / coworkers / community, etc.

My coworker and I also started a book club in my office, which is a bible study group. We choose a book to read together and then we gather on our lunch hour and pray together, go over the book so we all understand clearly what we are reading, etc. We then distribute a prayer list and we intentionally pray every day together regardless of where we are at 11:00 am each morning. We have this on each of our calendars so we are reminded to stop and pray no matter where we are. Ironically, the book we are reading right now is on Prayer. We are now discussing in our group holding a prayer meeting once a month early in the morning in our office before work starts. It will be welcome to anyone who wants to come and pray or receive prayer. We have not officially started this, we are trying to work it all out now.

I started attending a home church group as well. I have been a member of my church for 2 years now. I do not know where I fit in yet on missions and serving within the church, but this is something on the forethought of my mind a lot. I could definitely use prayer in knowing where I should serve.

I think I am going to start praying walking down my street and praying over my neighbors houses. I think this will be a good idea and I want to pray that I can start meeting my neighbors. I don't know them and I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now. i want to bless others and I want to bless God more than anyone.

Thank you for opening this thread. Please keep me in your prayers for finding my place to serve.

Thank you, Bob.

Great Topic Bob.
I am in Houston, TX. I am really on the outside in the suburbs, but I work in Houston.

I love being in church. I love sitting close to the pastor as he preaches. I do not like distractions as I get distracted easily so sitting up front is good for me. I like to hear clearly what he is preaching and I want to just take it all in.

I started attending church on Wed nights, which is praise and worship and prayer service only. Each Wed we have a different theme for prayer. Example: One Wed we may be praying over the children in our homes and families, church, students in schools and community, etc. The next Wed we may be praying for healing for those ill, the next Wed may be for marriages, etc. My pastor truly believes in the power of prayer as do I. I attend this service and pray and intercede for my family / friends / coworkers / community, etc.

My coworker and I also started a book club in my office, which is a bible study group. We choose a book to read together and then we gather on our lunch hour and pray together, go over the book so we all understand clearly what we are reading, etc. We then distribute a prayer list and we intentionally pray every day together regardless of where we are at 11:00 am each morning. We have this on each of our calendars so we are reminded to stop and pray no matter where we are. Ironically, the book we are reading right now is on Prayer. We are now discussing in our group holding a prayer meeting once a month early in the morning in our office before work starts. It will be welcome to anyone who wants to come and pray or receive prayer. We have not officially started this, we are trying to work it all out now.

I started attending a home church group as well. I have been a member of my church for 2 years now. I do not know where I fit in yet on missions and serving within the church, but this is something on the forethought of my mind a lot. I could definitely use prayer in knowing where I should serve.

I think I am going to start praying walking down my street and praying over my neighbors houses. I think this will be a good idea and I want to pray that I can start meeting my neighbors. I don't know them and I have lived in my house for almost 3 years now. i want to bless others and I want to bless God more than anyone.

Thank you for opening this thread. Please keep me in your prayers for finding my place to serve.

Thank you, Bob.

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

Its so good to fellowship with you again. I remember when you were praying about the church God was leading you. Praise God for guiding you.

Your pastor sounds wonderful and very anointed. A shepherd that knows God's sheep learns to discern their talents, abilities and spiritual gifts to help them grow. It sounds like you are exactly where God has you after two years at your home church.

God bless you, CoffeeDrinker, and your family.

I live in Miami-Dade County, FL. This confuses people, who automatically think this is Miami. Miami is actually one of 42 towns that make up the county. Many years ago, they changed the county name from Dade County to Miami-Dade County, for branding purposes. We have a population of 2,751,796 with a median income of $48,930 and a poverty rate of 18.98%. Median house price is $288,100.

Demographically, we represent the world. My church has members from 42 countries.

Crime Rate: Between Jan and June 9th, we have had 36 murders, 339 sexual assaults, 594 robberies, 1,674 aggravated assaults, 1,249 burglaries, 10,968 larcenies, and 1,2 93 vehicle thefts.

I live in Cutler Bay, FL, which is almost at the southern most tip of Miami-Dade Country. I live in Cutler Bay, FL, which is almost the southern most point of Miami-Dade, FL and accounts for 24,679 of the total population; 0 murders, 1 sexual assault, 18 robberies, 101 burglaries, 644 larcenies, and 33 vehicle thefts. Out median income is $107,612 of 7.1%. Median house price is $489,600.

So, one could say we live in one of the more affluent villages in the county. For the moment, my service to God is mostly at my church. I still have a 40 hr a week job and am mostly still learning. I have, and am waiting, to start service in our church’s prison ministry.

Miami-Dade County is well known as a sinful down. There is much decadence in the county, as well as violence, drugs, prostitution, etc. We are one of the major points of illicit drug trafficking, human trafficking, and money laundering. So, the bottom line is that I am still working at figuring out how best to serve God in a city that really needs the help of many.

Rtm3039

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

Its so good to fellowship with you again. I remember when you were praying about the church God was leading you. Praise God for guiding you.

Your pastor sounds wonderful and very anointed. A shepherd that knows God's sheep learns to discern their talents, abilities and spiritual gifts to help them grow. It sounds like you are exactly where God has you after two years at your home church.

God bless you, CoffeeDrinker, and your family.
Do you remember when I was always frustrated because of the blue lights in that one church.... lol so hilarious looking back.
That is a great church in my community, by the way. The pastor is wonderful. The church just wasnt for me. But being there led me to my church home where I am now. So thankful.

Do you remember when I was always frustrated because of the blue lights in that one church.... lol so hilarious looking back.
That is a great church in my community, by the way. The pastor is wonderful. The church just wasnt for me. But being there led me to my church home where I am now. So thankful.

Yes, CoffeeDrinker;

The blue lights reminded me of the K-Mart blue light special. lol!

I was very blessed to read how you are also leading the office book club/ Bible study. If I was working there I definitely would join you all. What are a couple of topics that you have discussed with the group?

In our Bible study our group participates with very good questions besides answering some of them to each other as I sit there listening and "Coffee Drinking," CoffeeDrinker.

lol!

God bless you, always!

Yes, CoffeeDrinker;

The blue lights reminded me of the K-Mart blue light special. lol!

I was very blessed to read how you are also leading the office book club/ Bible study. If I was working there I definitely would join you all. What are a couple of topics that you have discussed with the group?

In our Bible study our group participates with very good questions besides answering some of them to each other as I sit there listening and "Coffee Drinking," CoffeeDrinker.

lol!

God bless you, always!

Yes, do not forget your coffee drinking... lol
We each take turns leading the group. We each take turns praying out loud openly in front of the group. We have read some great books. The book we are currently reading is Prayer by Tim Keller. It's a great book to read / discuss together / deepen our prayer, etc. together. I led the last book, which was by Chuck Swindol on The Holy Spirit. It was wonderful. Each book we read literally moves us into the next phase / book we read. God has been so good to lead the way and transform each of us.

The person leading the book will usually type up questions, etc. and openly engage others. It's wonderful. Everyone shares freely and honestly. It's an open forum and a SAFE PLACE. We ask for Prayer requests and then we intentionally pray at 11:00am each morning over those prayers. We have it on each of our calendars as a reminder to PAUSE AND PRAY. That is what we call it in the calendar notice... PAUSE AND PRAY.... and our prayer requests are listed and updated as we meet together.

We are trying to figure out how to do a prayer meeting once a month early in our office before the office starts. This will be interesting. lol
But there are lots of hurting people everywhere we go and especially in our offices.....

I live in Miami-Dade County, FL. This confuses people, who automatically think this is Miami. Miami is actually one of 42 towns that make up the county. Many years ago, they changed the county name from Dade County to Miami-Dade County, for branding purposes. We have a population of 2,751,796 with a median income of $48,930 and a poverty rate of 18.98%. Median house price is $288,100. Demographically, we represent the world. My church has members from 42 countries. Crime Rate: Between Jan and June 9th, we have had 36 murders, 339 sexual assaults, 594 robberies, 1,674 aggravated assaults, 1,249 burglaries, 10,968 larcenies, and 1,2 93 vehicle thefts. I live in Cutler Bay, FL, which is almost at the southern most tip of Miami-Dade Country. I live in Cutler Bay, FL, which is almost the southern most point of Miami-Dade, FL and accounts for 24,679 of the total population; 0 murders, 1 sexual assault, 18 robberies, 101 burglaries, 644 larcenies, and 33 vehicle thefts. Out median income is $107,612 of 7.1%. Median house price is $489,600. So, one could say we live in one of the more affluent villages in the county. For the moment, my service to God is mostly at my church. I still have a 40 hr a week job and am mostly still learning. I have, and am waiting, to start service in our church’s prison ministry. Miami-Dade County is well known as a sinful down. There is much decadence in the county, as well as violence, drugs, prostitution, etc. We are one of the major points of illicit drug trafficking, human trafficking, and money laundering. So, the bottom line is that I am still working at figuring out how best to serve God in a city that really needs the help of many.

Rtm3039

Hello brother rtm3039;

Miami-Dade is about 3 million, a very large and diverse community. The more people, the more cross-cultural, the more challenges, the more important the Gospel becomes.

What blesses me is your being a part of the security ministry which is a ministry I don't hear much about, when we share you are always seeking God and where He is directing you, and He has, and being a part of our church family here at Christian Forum Site.

I have a question. What is the day to day residing on the tip of Florida? It reminds me of when I grew up in San Diego on the tip of the border. I used to cross it all the time, for visiting and for ministry.

God bless you, Ray and your family.

Hello brother rtm3039;

Miami-Dade is about 3 million, a very large and diverse community. The more people, the more cross-cultural, the more challenges, the more important the Gospel becomes.

What blesses me is your being a part of the security ministry which is a ministry I don't hear much about, when we share you are always seeking God and where He is directing you, and He has, and being a part of our church family here at Christian Forum Site.

I have a question. What is the day to day residing on the tip of Florida? It reminds me of when I grew up in San Diego on the tip of the border. I used to cross it all the time, for visiting and for ministry.

God bless you, Ray and your family.
Hey bobinfaith. I guess it depends on what tip (assuming that is your question). The southern tip is the Florida Keys. These are special people who live the pirate's like. It is a city divided. The main part (the one people always see on TV) is very liberal. They have their yearly gay pride parade and Key West has one of the first openly gay police chief. The other side (residential) tends to be conservative, In fact, for many years, the city has tried to pass a law allowing for topless beaches and it is always defeated. AN odd thing, taking into account that, during the yearly "Fantasy Fest," it is permissible to walk around Duval Street totally nude, as long as your body is painted. As for the northern tip, Well, I like to call it country living much like Georgia.

This place is unique. One area is in total poverty, but, if you walk another mile, its houses worth millions. There are also very distinct neighborhoods. You have "little Havana, Little Haiti," etc. Miami Beach is home to some of the oldest Jewish communities in the country; however, it is also the center of all things decadent; a modern day Sodom and Gomorrah. Sex, drugs, and alcohol is the focus of the city's tourism. There are yearly festivals that bring in millions of people and a great deal of violence and crime. Miami Beach (aka: South Beach) is where I grew up, but in a different era.

There are some really good people in some really bad areas. A great deal of Caribbean culture, along with the practice of Santeria and black magic. Drive-by shootings are a daily thing. All these are reasons why, when we do finally retire, we are making the car ad moving up north to TN.

Im hoping to maybe start a prayer group in my school but so far no colleagues have come forth about their faith so I dont know if there are many christians in my school on the staff, I know there's some children, but I just want to know how to go about it...I need to be careful in the workplace about sharing faith. Its a public primary school.

Like maybe a lunchtime prayer group in the library. Also that would be a good way for the library to be quieter :)
I also want to read some Bible stories but hoping there wont be objections of I read a few out loud in story time. Can you please pray about this? So far God hasnt given me a definite go ahead to mention Him but Im just preparing the soil for now.

Im hoping to maybe start a prayer group in my school but so far no colleagues have come forth about their faith so I dont know if there are many christians in my school on the staff, I know there's some children, but I just want to know how to go about it...I need to be careful in the workplace about sharing faith. Its a public primary school.

Like maybe a lunchtime prayer group in the library. Also that would be a good way for the library to be quieter :)
I also want to read some Bible stories but hoping there wont be objections of I read a few out loud in story time. Can you please pray about this? So far God hasnt given me a definite go ahead to mention Him but Im just preparing the soil for now.
Lanolin,

I do not know how that works in your country, but it can be an issue here in the US; especially at work and the public sector.

I use to work for the state of Florida. We had a Christmas party every year. One year, one of the attorneys overheard an admin staff person call the gathering a "Christmas party." She sent an e-mail to the head of the agency and that ended that. We were told that there could be no Christmas party on state property.

Now I work for the county's public school board. I share an office with one other person who has Christian objects all over her desk and wall. She has the Lord's prayer in a plaque, several books called the "daily bread," and several bible passages on her wall. No one appears to care, which is just fine with me.

I've also learned that the public school itself allows individual schools to set up bible study groups. They are held after school, but setting them up and managing them is done during school hours. I'm good with that too,

I will pray for your success, but you might want to look at any local policies first.

rtm3039

Back