2 Cor 5:8 study

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the breath of life was breathed into Adam for physical life. Apart from the physical life, the spirit lives on. You are only focusing on physical life.

And the breath of life is FROM God. God removes the breath of life from us at death. Job 34:14-15 and Eccl 12:7 specifically states this action of God. Notice the word "withdrew" in Job.

Gen 2:7 NIV Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.
Eccl 12:7 NIV and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

And the breath of life is FROM God. God removes the breath of life from us at death. Job 34:14-15 and Eccl 12:7 specifically states this action of God. Notice the word "withdrew" in Job.

Gen 2:7 NIV Then the LORD God formed a man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.
Job 34:14-15 NIV If it were his intention and he withdrew his spirit and breath, 15all humanity would perish together and mankind would return to the dust.
Eccl 12:7 NIV and the dust returns to the ground it came from, and the spirit returns to God who gave it.

Right, the breath that we need to live physically is no longer. That happens because the spirit is removed from the body.

Correct, and we only have one body. We do not live continuously as "breath".

We live continuously as spirit...even now.

Perhaps it would benefit you to do a study on the words for "spirit": nephesh, ruach. pneuma and psuche.

We live continuously as spirit...even now.

Perhaps it would benefit you to do a study on the words for "spirit": nephesh, ruach. pneuma and psuche.

Very good, you are studying the words. That is good.

Now, the next step is learning about the breath of life. If the breath of life is taken out of us, then the opposite of life is death.

Very good, you are studying the words. That is good.

Now, the next step is learning about the breath of life. If the breath of life is taken out of us, then the opposite of life is death.

I've studied words for years! It's your turn now to learn about the differences. When our breath ceases, our life continues in the Kingdom.

What do you make of this passage?

Hebrews 12:23
You have come to the assembly of God’s firstborn children, whose names are written in heaven. You have come to God himself, who is the judge over all things. You have come to the spirits [pneuma] of the righteous ones in heaven who have now been made perfect.

I've studied words for years! It's your turn now to learn about the differences. When our breath ceases, our life continues in the Kingdom.

But how does our life continue as "breath" and without the breath of life in us. I already know what those words mean. The opposite of breath of life is no life.

But how does our life continue as "breath" and without the breath of life in us. I already know what those words mean. The opposite of breath of life is no life.

Your thinking is short-sighted. The breath of life is just that---it sustains our fleshly life. Apart from that, God has given us a spirit that never dies. It is His temple where He dwells and gives us our real life. Once our earthly, fleshly life is over, our spirits go to God (if we are His). We live forever.

Your thinking is short-sighted. The breath of life is just that---it sustains our fleshly life. Apart from that God has given us a spirit that never dies. Once our earthly, fleshly life is over, our spirits go to God (if we are His). We live forever.

A spirit that never dies. Ok, so how do we praise God, talk and walk with God without a soul?

A spirit that never dies. Ok, so how do we praise God, talk and walk with God without a soul?

We always have a soul. That is our mind, will and emotions---our personality, and that is connected with the spirit. We will always be able to walk and talk with God.

We always have a soul. That is our mind, will and emotions---our personality, and that is connected with the spirit. We will always be able to walk and talk with God.

But how do we do that without the breath of life in us. I don't think "breath" has hands, eyes and feet. Right?

Last edited:
Ok, I am reading these posts and just want to check to see if I understand what is being said (as well as my basic knowledge, which could be faulty)...

The Title of this thread refers to 2 Cor 5:8, which in NASB reads:
we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.​

I was looking forward to discussing Paul's preference for being with the Lord rather than in his Body.

By 'First' Resurrection, we are talking about a resurrection of believers.

As opposed to Revelation 20:12 & 13, (2nd resurrection) which brings everyone before the Judgment seat. The believers to receive reward, and the rest to be condemned.

The discussion has been about whether we have 'spirit bodies'. I doubt if any of us are questioning if there is a spirit our soul that remains after physical death. Part of the differences involves the connection of word 'breath' to the word 'spirit'. One view may more closely reflect terms as they appear in Biblical passages, but I am unclear of a practical distinction. If I wish to think of what I will be when I stand before the Judgment seat as spirit body, is that a problematic view?

Is this understanding of the issues correct?

As an aside, in my view, the opposite of Life is not no life if you equate that to Death. The opposite of Life is Inanimate (not alive and has never been alive). Whether destined for Heaven, or for Hell, something of us exists after death that did not exist distinctly before our mothers met our fathers.

something of us exists after death that did not exist distinctly before our mothers met our fathers.

Something of us? Hmm..

I believe God takes the breath of life out of us at death and then gives us the breath of life at the first resurrection. We are rather asleep in Jesus until the first resurrection.

1 Thess 4:14 NIV For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

Something of us? Hmm..

I believe God takes the breath of life out of us at death and then gives us the breath of life at the first resurrection. We are rather asleep in Jesus until the first resurrection.

1 Thess 4:14 NIV For we believe that Jesus died and rose again, and so we believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in him.

You cannot be discussing soul sleep here. It is a false teaching. Your idea of sleep contradicts the bible's teaching. Sleep is only a metaphor for physical death. Period.

Our spirit bodies have all the same faculties we have physically.

The translation for "breath" here is "breath". So, how is "breath" a body?

The translation for "breath" here is "breath". So, how is "breath" a body?

Breath is a reference to our spirit. Please do a study on the words I have given you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back