666 - Nero or not yet?

Our pastor touched on Daniel and Revelation today and cited 666 as the coming mark of the beast. I have also heard the theory that the Hebrews were into numerology back then and would assign numbers to letters. As such “666” translated to the name “Nero.” Whether or not that theory is accurate, I don’t know; but it seems plausible.

I emailed the pastor after the sermon and asked what he thought of the Nero connection. He said we would talk more about it next week but believes “666” may have meant Nero but Nero was a preview of something worse yet to come. He likened this to Antiochus Epiphanes in Daniel 8. He desecrated the temple and set himself up as God, but he was a preview of a greater future desecration.

What are thoughts on this?

666 symbolizes the unholy trinity. The number of the beast. 777 being perfection in the holy trinity. Not sure where the idea that 666 will be the mark came from.

The unholy trinity is the false profit, the antichrist and satan. The first two I mentioned are men yes. Perhaps possessed. If looking for a center I think that would be satan.

Our pastor touched on Daniel and Revelation today and cited 666 as the coming mark of the beast. I have also heard the theory that the Hebrews were into numerology back then and would assign numbers to letters. As such “666” translated to the name “Nero.” Whether or not that theory is accurate, I don’t know; but it seems plausible.

I emailed the pastor after the sermon and asked what he thought of the Nero connection. He said we would talk more about it next week but believes “666” may have meant Nero but Nero was a preview of something worse yet to come. He likened this to Antiochus Epiphanes in Daniel 8. He desecrated the temple and set himself up as God, but he was a preview of a greater future desecration.

Antiochus Epiphanes was a Picture/type of what Daniel was describing. He was not "THE" A/C but was an A/C.

Nero was NOT the 666 A/C as that person is yet in our future. The teaching of the A/C has its roots in the false teachings of "Preterism"!

Preterism says that Jesus already returned in 79 AD can not be proven with scripture. The Preterist view embraced by John Wesley, John Calvin, and Hank Hanegraaff, etc. is wrong and such proponents have adopted a definite errant position.

The infamous mark of the beast is not metaphorical, symbolic or a figurative 'mark.' It is a literal mark on the physical body (right hand or forehead) needed to literally buy or sell and will be placed on the body.

Our pastor touched on Daniel and Revelation today and cited 666 as the coming mark of the beast. I have also heard the theory that the Hebrews were into numerology back then and would assign numbers to letters. As such “666” translated to the name “Nero.” Whether or not that theory is accurate, I don’t know; but it seems plausible. I emailed the pastor after the sermon and asked what he thought of the Nero connection. He said we would talk more about it next week but believes “666” may have meant Nero but Nero was a preview of something worse yet to come. He likened this to Antiochus Epiphanes in Daniel 8. He desecrated the temple and set himself up as God, but he was a preview of a greater future desecration.
I encourage all of you to read the "Revelation" bible study I posted. I went into great deatail on this very subject.

Hello Skipper;

You ask a great question. I'd like to share a personal thought with everyone.

666 in Revelation 13:18 is one of the most discussed studies with many meanings and theories. And when we raise these kinds of questions, God is pleased we are digging into His Word and it's good we talk about it.

I also commend and respect your pastor for presenting 666 in his sermon and his willing to make time to meet with you.

Nero was evil in the Roman empire but I don't know if he is connected with 666 and the time frame of Nero and Revelation.

Theories are not bad. They represent intelligent questions that may not have a concluding fact. Question is, do we believe? When Christ returns and we go before God He will make everything plain.

I have preached and taught Revelation within my capacity but I am still studying this book, most likely the rest of my days here.

I would encourage all of us to read Major's teaching on Revelation https://christianforumsite.com/threads/revelation.52597/page-25#post-548552

At the conclusion of chapter 22 I plan to ask my questions and seek answers for my personal growth as a disciple.

God bless you, Skipper, and thank you for sharing 666 - Nero or not yet?

Any other thoughts?

The Jewish numerology tradition, known as gematria and values some numbers more than others.

"gematria," = the spiritual interpretation of numbers. It is not mystical but instead a way of understanding what a specific number means in Scripture.

One​

One indicates unity, divinity, and wholeness, as exemplified by God.

Three

Three signifies completeness and stability,

So when Jesus rose from the dead after 3 days He was complete and stable?
Is this how we are to look at numbers?

And 40 days in the desert, what would that mean?
Biblical numerology is fun. 40 shows up many times. Rained 40 days and nights, Israel wandered 40 years in the wilderness and more. 7 I understand to mean perfection.

I found 40 interesting. 40 = 4 x 10
4 is symbolic of physical creation as in the day God created the universe and marking of time as in the four seasons.
10 is symbolic of testimony, law, responsibility and the completeness of order, such as the ten commandments and tithe 10%.
40 is the number of days Jesus was in the wilderness preparing for His ministry, the number of days Moses was on Mount Sinai to get the 10 Commandments, the number of days Noah and the Ark endured nonstop rain, also the number of days Goliath taunted the Jewish army before David took action, and the number of days Jesus was on earth after His resurrection.
Also there is the 40 years of wandering in the wilderness of the Israelites and Moses.

Something that is missed by most today is that the ancient Roman Empire is today mostly occupied by islamics, to the revived Roman Empire may indeed be dominated by...you do the math for a possibility...

MM

So when Jesus rose from the dead after 3 days He was complete and stable?
Is this how we are to look at numbers?

And 40 days in the desert, what would that mean?
Correct.........Jesus prayed three times in the Garden of Gethsemane before His arrest.
He was placed on the cross at the 3rd hour of the day (9 a.m.) and died at the 9th hour.(3 x 3 = 9)
There were 3 hours of darkness that covered the land while Jesus was suffering on the cross from the 6th hour to the 9th hour.
This is the number of resurrection.
Christ was dead for three full days and nights.
Only three individuals witnessed Jesus' transfiguration on Mount Hermon.

The apostle Paul was an exceptionally well-educated person. In three different occasions he quotes directly from Greek poets (Acts 17:28, 1Corinthians 15:33 and Titus 1:12). He also was privileged to visit the location of God's throne, which is in the third heaven (2Corinthians 12:2 - 4).

The three words that appear only once in Scripture are Reverend (Psalms 111:9), Eternity (Isaiah 57:15) and Grandmother (2Timothy 1:5).

Only 3 people were allowed to ask God anything.
1. They were Solomon (1Kings 3:5),
2. Ahaz (Isaiah 7:11) and, of course,
3. Jesus Christ (Psalm 2:9).

The gifts given to Israel by God were his....
1. law,
2. the land of their inheritance,
3. and their calling (the world to come).

The Bible only mentions the name of three angels....
1. Michael,
2. Gabriel
3. Lucifer.

I found 40 interesting. 40 = 4 x 10
4 is symbolic of physical creation as in the day God created the universe and marking of time as in the four seasons.
10 is symbolic of testimony, law, responsibility and the completeness of order, such as the ten commandments and tithe 10%.
40 is the number of days Jesus was in the wilderness preparing for His ministry, the number of days Moses was on Mount Sinai to get the 10 Commandments, the number of days Noah and the Ark endured nonstop rain, also the number of days Goliath taunted the Jewish army before David took action, and the number of days Jesus was on earth after His resurrection.
Also there is the 40 years of wandering in the wilderness of the Israelites and Moses.
Agreed brother!

The number 40 is mentioned 146 times in Scripture, and the number 40 generally symbolizes a period of testing, trial or probation.

As YOU stated, Moses, Moses was also on Mount Sinai for 40 days and nights, on two separate occasions receiving God's laws.
He also sent spies, for forty days, to investigate the land God promised the Israelites as an inheritance.

The prophet Jonah powerfully warned ancient Nineveh, for forty days, that its destruction would come because of its many sins.

The prophet Ezekiel laid on His right side for 40 days to symbolize Judah's sins.

Elijah went 40 days without food or water at Mount Horeb.

Jesus was tempted by the devil many times during the 40 complete days he fasted just before his ministry began.
He also appeared to his disciples and others for 40 days after his resurrection from the dead.

Judges who served Israel 40 years include Othniel, Deborah and Barak, Eli and Gideon.

The first three human kings over the children of Israel, Saul, David and Solomon, each ruled for forty years.

Abraham tried to bargain with God to not destroy Sodom and Gomorrah if forty righteous people were found.

Both Isaac and Esau were forty years old when they were first married.

Back