A Sign Of The Times?

I'm not here to pick a fight, but I do want to take issue with one of the things you said. How can you say that Galileo didn't have sound evidence? The guy went blind looking through a telescope which amounted to a coke bottle in its level of sophistication but was still able to detect the phases of Venus! That is solid proof that by itself debunks Heliocentrism.

I'm not saying he didn't have sound evidence (or at least, I didn't mean to make that claim), but the Church was looking for definite proof of this theory. It was still only a theory during Galileo's time -- it wasn't recorded as a fact until later. Granted Galileo's theories were proven true, but there were even some parts to his theory that weren't totally solid, like that the earth circulated the sun in a perfect circle rather than an oval.

And even that's not even quite the point. I'm trying to explain the full story, where the Church did go wrong, and how much of what people think of the story are just egregious myths. This isn't some sort of pro-Catholic propaganda, it's just the facts, ma'am.

Last edited:
Man, this is a great question. I'm going to go ahead and say the Catholic Church will eventually change its stance. Throughout history, Popes have been forced to change their position - Heliocentrism comes to mind. I know this example isn't quite the same, but if I had to make a prediction, I'm guessing the Catholic Church will soften its stance and "evolve" it's position in the "way we interpret the Holy scriptures."
I'm wondering if it'll slowly evolve from being de-emphasized, to ignored almost entirely. IOW, the Church won't change its actual stance, but it won't talk about it publicly much at all. And it may be yet another "cafeteria Catholic" thing, like birth control, where the Church says it's wrong but the majority of its western followers believe otherwise.

Man, this is a great question. I'm going to go ahead and say the Catholic Church will eventually change its stance. Throughout history, Popes have been forced to change their position - Heliocentrism comes to mind. I know this example isn't quite the same, but if I had to make a prediction, I'm guessing the Catholic Church will soften its stance and "evolve" it's position in the "way we interpret the Holy scriptures."
I'm wondering if it'll slowly evolve from being de-emphasized, to ignored almost entirely. IOW, the Church won't change its actual stance, but it won't talk about it publicly much at all. And it may be yet another "cafeteria Catholic" thing, like birth control, where the Church says it's wrong but the majority of its western followers believe otherwise.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I have an opinion, but I'll refrain from stating it openly so I don't inflame our Roman Catholic friends.

Indeed, if we're talking about how laypeople (or even some clergy) will think, then I'm sure they will go against actual Church teaching. You used the right term -- they're called "Cafeteria Catholics," as they take what they like and disregard what the parts they don't like. Unfortunately, the cafeteria Catholic mentality is all over the US and Europe among other places.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I have an opinion, but I'll refrain from stating it openly so I don't inflame our Roman Catholic friends.

That's very thoughtful of you. You are free to share you opinion, and I certainly won't take it to heart. You may hear a rebuttal depending of course. Though sometimes the criticisms people have on Catholics (apart from the magesterium of the Church) can sadly be right.

That's very thoughtful of you. You are free to share you opinion, and I certainly won't take it to heart. You may hear a rebuttal depending of course. Though sometimes the criticisms people have on Catholics (apart from the magesterium of the Church) can sadly be right.
I'm not afraid to share my opinion, per se. I just know that if I do, someone will protest, and then I'll have to defend my opinion, which I can, but don't have the energy or time to do it. Maybe if the requirements of life right now settle down a bit, I'll go at it with you.

I'm not afraid to share my opinion, per se. I just know that if I do, someone will protest, and then I'll have to defend my opinion, which I can, but don't have the energy or time to do it. Maybe if the requirements of life right now settle down a bit, I'll go at it with you.

Haha, I do understand. Sometimes I hold back my position as I know it will mean I will probably have to provide a defense. I wanted to at least let you know, as a friend anyway, that you are welcome to speak up, even if we disagree. :)

Back