A Statement of Faith

You mean as in "unnecessary, needless, unneeded", ....that kind of redundant?

I don't think so. Do you recall the song from the 60's that said....."I know there aint no heaven and I hope there aint no hell????

If there is a heaven and there is a hell, wouldn't it be advisable to know how to get to each place?
I was referring to the term ‘free gift’. Both are free, hence redundant.

I have heard that some were told that they just need to say really fast 5 times "see my tongues"

When I was a teenager in the AOG faith.....we were told we had to attend "Tongue Speaking" classes.

I was young and knew no better, but the older I got it dawned on me that is speaking in tongues was a "gift".....why then was there a need to be taught.

When I was a teenager in the AOG faith.....we were told we had to attend "Tongue Speaking" classes.

I was young and knew no better, but the older I got it dawned on me that is speaking in tongues was a "gift".....why then was there a need to be taught.
What caused me to finally leave was just so verses to support second act of grace as evidenced by the tongues! Also ironic that those claiming to be "annoited with Holy Ghost: are those groups into some of the biggest heresies and loose living!

What caused me to finally leave was just so verses to support second act of grace as evidenced by the tongues! Also ironic that those claiming to be "annoited with Holy Ghost: are those groups into some of the biggest heresies and loose living!

It seems that the various denominations, including the so-called non-denominationalists and independent groups, they tend to migrate toward one extreme end or the other. One extreme can be labeled as the "Intellectuals," while the other as the "Emotionals." Both point their fingers of accusation at each other for missing the mark when in fact they BOTH are missing it to some extent.

That happy medium of balance seems to be more sparse in population.

MM

It seems that the various denominations, including the so-called non-denominationalists and independent groups, they tend to migrate toward one extreme end or the other. One extreme can be labeled as the "Intellectuals," while the other as the "Emotionals." Both point their fingers of accusation at each other for missing the mark when in fact they BOTH are missing it to some extent.

That happy medium of balance seems to be more sparse in population.

MM
I have no problem with charismatics who stay balanced, but the big problem in their ranks seems to be that much of the theology is really "off the railings"

I personally think that No. 14-16 do not belong into a statement of faith. Although these points are no intrinsically wrong, they lead to a legalistic thinking. (Since I am from Germany and being not a native English speaker, my terminology might be misunderstandable. Sorry. I mean with "legalistic": a life stlye or faith that does not build on Jesus and a living relationship with Him, but where the "faith" is based on do-this and don't-do-that and in this way trying to "satisfy" God.)

alxb

I personally think that No. 14-16 do not belong into a statement of faith. Although these points are no intrinsically wrong, they lead to a legalistic thinking. (Since I am from Germany and being not a native English speaker, my terminology might be misunderstandable. Sorry. I mean with "legalistic": a life stlye or faith that does not build on Jesus and a living relationship with Him, but where the "faith" is based on do-this and don't-do-that and in this way trying to "satisfy" God.)

alxb

I agree to a point.

alxb
There is a danger to where even good things can be come legalistic, as seen in where playing any type of a card game or watching any movie can be seen as being "sinful"

Back