A Statement of Faith

I am surprised that these Amish allow themselves to be photographed and be so calm about it.
Many have decided that if they show tolerance for us, maybe we'll be more tolerant of them.

When I first came here and started to go to the local farmers market where most of the sellers are Mennonite, with a few strict Amish, I was tempted to take their pictures, but knew they disliked it so refrained.

The reason for this and also the reason they have very few mirrors and no full-length mirrors is that mirrors promote self pride. Also traditional cloth dolls will be made without eyes since that is a key feature of the face and engenders pride.

Young men are cleanly shaven, while married men usually are bearded, but no mustaches.

Their clothing is simple, with colors to indicate marital status, etc. Women almost always have some kind of head covering.

Contrary to what many outsiders think, they do not say men are saved through works, but hard physical work is thought to promote spiritual well-being and growth.

Mennonites typically get a basic education, heavy on Bible, their own 'German' dialect, English, basic math, and practical arts. When they reach majority age (12-15) young men are expected to learn a trade.

Local communities keep their own versions of their rules, including statement of faith.

Many have decided that if they show tolerance for us, maybe we'll be more tolerant of them.

When I first came here and started to go to the local farmers market where most of the sellers are Mennonite, with a few strict Amish, I was tempted to take their pictures, but knew they disliked it so refrained.

The reason for this and also the reason they have very few mirrors and no full-length mirrors is that mirrors promote self pride. Also traditional cloth dolls will be made without eyes since that is a key feature of the face and engenders pride.

Young men are cleanly shaven, while married men usually are bearded, but no mustaches.

Their clothing is simple, with colors to indicate marital status, etc. Women almost always have some kind of head covering.

Contrary to what many outsiders think, they do not say men are saved through works, but hard physical work is thought to promote spiritual well-being and growth.

Mennonites typically get a basic education, heavy on Bible, their own 'German' dialect, English, basic math, and practical arts. When they reach majority age (12-15) young men are expected to learn a trade.

Local communities keep their own versions of their rules, including statement of faith.
Thanks, I am pretty familiar with the Amish. My wife loves their lifestyle and keeps me abreast of them. She too loves their dolls, quilts and hard work and she avoid mirrors and cameras as well.
Me? I'm a ham at heart. lol

Thanks, I am pretty familiar with the Amish. My wife loves their lifestyle and keeps me abreast of them. She too loves their dolls, quilts and hard work and she avoid mirrors and cameras as well.
Me? I'm a ham at heart. lol

You know, extremes intended to prevent things any group thinks should be avoided can tend to go off the deep end. In this case, I've wondered if maybe the pride of avoiding pride can become a wicked extreme in the other direction...whatever that is.

MM

Could it be said they're both dead nuts? I was raised Baptist, and married a Pentacostal...
that was joke i use to make a point . to many focus on the denominational name . my self i am ordained by the gen baptist.. but i dont preaach gen baptist doctrine. i go by the BIBLE . i dont worry about the Amish they have there own customs . most likely there are different types just like Mennonites. there are some Baptist that believe to join there Church you have to be baptized into that Church . where is that in the Bible .then we have closed communion no such a thing

I was glad to see the foot washing mentioned. Jesus said to keep that. Not many believe in it.
The Amish live their faith out and I think that is what is important. We could pick holes in every denomination if we wanted to. I have been guilty of that.
To me the important thing is following the gospel. Perhaps God guides us to be where He wants us to be at a partiocular time.
Christ is the only one that I believe every word He says. Not that I understand everything, we are forever learning.
Hey, I'm Ennglish, so I am nuts :lol

That's right. I didn't want to give the source as it would have been a dead give-away.
Was there anything that popped out in their Statement that would rub you the wrong way?
They have a decent statement of faith, but do many really seem to be more into a works based religion?

They have a decent statement of faith, but do many really seem to be more into a works based religion?
I think you are asking, "but why do many really seem to be more into a works based religion?"

I would say that our fallen nature has it's compass pointed towards works righteousness and it is an important reason why we as Christians also need the constant reminder of the Gospel.

That's right. I didn't want to give the source as it would have been a dead give-away.
Was there anything that popped out in their Statement that would rub you the wrong way?

Those are actually very close the Baptist Statement of Faith.

NON of them rub me the wrong way.

I would only say that #11 would be one that may cause some problems if it is not done properly.

Also #14 would certainly open the door to ones personal opinion of acceptability.

However......I would not oppose any of those statements.

I think you are asking, "but why do many really seem to be more into a works based religion?"

I would say that our fallen nature has it's compass pointed towards works righteousness and it is an important reason why we as Christians also need the constant reminder of the Gospel.

Agreed.

We are told our whole lives to "WORK" to be successful in life. It can be hard for some to them be told that to get to heaven is a FREE GIFT !

Those are actually very close the Baptist Statement of Faith.

NON of them rub me the wrong way.

I would only say that #11 would be one that may cause some problems if it is not done properly.

Also #14 would certainly open the door to ones personal opinion of acceptability.

However......I would not oppose any of those statements.
No foot washing ordinance, and my father had some Amish friends, who seemed to into works righteousness!

That's being a bit redundant, no?

You mean as in "unnecessary, needless, unneeded", ....that kind of redundant?

I don't think so. Do you recall the song from the 60's that said....."I know there aint no heaven and I hope there aint no hell????

If there is a heaven and there is a hell, wouldn't it be advisable to know how to get to each place?

Back